Federal Government Job Process

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 129)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

ANGELA WAY in LAUREL, Maryland

65 months ago

Write a letter to your congressional leader or never complain again. In essence, WE have to stop talking about it and make the new administration responsible for their actions. I am doing that right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Make sure you get a name and keep up with it, it should be personal to you at this point, just like a bill, keep up and good luck. I am compiling documents as we speak to present to the Md Council for legislation to be introduced to overhaul OPM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Google OPM.GOV And US WHITEHOUSE, LIKE FOR CONSUMER AFFAIRS, CUSTOMER SERVICE OR CONTACT INFORMATION AND START CALLIN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I moved to ATL three times 94, 99 and 06, no job offers in govt for that matter anywhere else except Emory. I am a vetaran of regular Army 3 years, inactive 2 years, reserve, 4 years active guard 2 years, now 60% disabled and still being overlooked. Oh yes, very passionate, finally landed a position in feds, thank God, Interior, I was over qualified and looking back to hold those hands responsible for constantly overlooking me and hiring non veterans in those positions. I have gone beyond mad to passionate, fustrated and now legislation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

manbesam martinez in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

just wanted some thoughts. I guess im lucky in that I've just been given a tentative job offer working for AFPC out of Macdill. I'm super excited but worried about what, if anything can sabotage my chances. My worry is that ive recently gotten divorced and my credit over the past year has gotten pretty bad. my tenative position though does not require a security clearance. Should I still worry? Even after being offered a tentative job offer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

manbesam martinez in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

Swaine, Yes Im a USMC veteran (10% disabled).

Well like you said earlier I've gotten this far by knowing somebody, a girl I went to college with put me in touch with the lady i'll hopefully be working for soon. She actually put me in touch with her back in sept. but the job itself was recently posted feb.18, closed on the 24th. I was given a tentative offer on the 2nd or 3rd of March. Shortley after the offer I was sent an email directing me to the Civilian AFPC site to fill out some pre-employment paperwork.
Since then I have spoken, at length, with my future boss on the phone about my duties and such.
Aside from selecting me for the position my FB(future boss) really has no control over the hiring process.

Im just such a worry wart, all these "what if's" keep running thru my mind.

On one hand I keep thinking that if ive made it this far than my background has already been looked into and now it's just a paper shuffle...but on the other hand i remember reading "if any suitibility issues come up this offer may withdrawn".
Would my credit be seen as a suitibility issue? Even though my job is not money related, nor does it require a security clearance?

Thanks for you feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jagman298 in Red Lion, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

I agree with you. I have 4 college degrees, one of those being a MS in Management, but no one in the federal government wants to hire me. They would even hire me as a GS-5 Secretary. Its just very sad after spending 15 years of my life in the Navy and this is what I get for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

willy55 in New York, New York

65 months ago

Swaine Thompson in Atlanta, Georgia said: I wrote BOTH of my congressmen here from Georgia. did it last week.

Oh yeah! write to your congressmen! A lot of good that will do you. You will have to write at least three times before you realize that they never read your letter and you are just getting a form letter!
Even if you showed up at their office door, and they happened to be there that time- Good Luck in getting to talk to them or even have them understand you or even give a damn.

We need a louder and more powerful voice against these SOBs! Writing a congressman is about as useless as a screen door on a submarine. It won't do you any good. Sad to say though- it should do some good, but it does not.
Unless you have some kind of unique tear-jerker story or something they can get some good P.R. out of by paying attention to it and acting on it - you need to find a different way to get the attention of these brain dead SOBs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I appreciate your feedback. So what do I do. Should I simply lie and withold the education aspect? This simply makes no sense. Well I hit the Erie VA Hospital with privacy act requests for all hiring information since 2006 to present to attain information about their hiring standard. Its hard to believe they won't hire a 80% disabled veteran whose willing to take a $30,000 a year pay cut just to work at the VA. Simply makes no sense to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

If you are a Veteran then you should know that what the VA and Federal Government does makes no sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I am a 80% disabled veteran that served honorably for 15 years and now I just would like a fair shot at a government job and have applied for over 5,000 federal positions since February 2007.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

What should that tell me?

65 months ago

Figure it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Now were getting rude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

It really won't do any good. I've tried and have written over 1,000 letters, but no one cares. I just don't understand why the federal government wouldn't want to hire smart and educated veterans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Swaine,

I appreciate your thoughts. I have requested all documents related to hiring from January 1, 2006 to Present. I have applied for over 60 positions at the Erie, PA VA and they always say there's someone better qualified even for a Secretary, GS-5 position. The Erie VA always comes back and tells me its how I answered the questions thats what determined my nonselection and then they say however you did interview exceptionally well. This is the same answer I've been getting for the last 3 years so now its too a point where I feel as though my applications have been red flaged and I won't ever get an opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I'm happy to hear you finally landed a government job. I'm an 80% disabled veteran with a MS in Management, MBA, 2 legal degrees, and a degree in Administrative Studies, 2 graduate certificates and one under grad certificate. Why does the government not want me. I was good enough to be in the Navy for 15 years, but now the federal service things I'm unemployable? I just don't understand.

65 months ago

Its just a shame that I have all of this education and its for nothing. I honorably served my country and now I can't get a job because the hirning managers are intimidated by my education. I even had one hiring manager tell me that I wouldn't get a job in HR because I wasn't a woman and that the federal government prefers women in HR roles over men. I didn't know that a masters degree in HR is gender biased. I just don't understand.

liveranit in Spring, Texas

64 months ago

Swaine in Atlanta, Georgia said: Id like to know why the "Who you know theory?" supersedes qualifications and the fair-hiring process for government jobs?

1.) Why do the federal government post jobs on USAJOBS, then give that job to someone internal?

2.) Why post jobs and never give the applicant a status, especially if they are on a referral list for that job?

Seems to me that the Federal hiring process needs overhaul, especially for people with advanced degrees, veteran status and more. Hiring managers have TOO much power!!

I agree with you OMG I have been on referral lists for the past year and the Human Resource in NYC suck not even a responce back .why get referred if ther friends are next on line .why play us for fools

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

liveranit in Spring, Texas

64 months ago

ANGELA WAY in LAUREL, Maryland said: Write a letter to your congressional leader or never complain again. In essence, WE have to stop talking about it and make the new administration responsible for their actions. I am doing that right now.

Can you post That letter so we all can use it

64 months ago

Angela,

I appreciate your candor, but writing letters to your congressional leaders is utterly a complete waste of time and energy. I have written over 7,000 letters to my congressional leader over the past two years pertaining to veterans’ employment and all they do is regurgitate what I've already written and explained to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

I have tried that as well and no media really cares to get into a bashing contest with a senator or congressman.

Daily Time in Salt Lake City, Utah

63 months ago

With all these qualifications why don't you get a civilian job? Why do you want so badly to work in a system that you believe is corrupted and crooked?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

That really seems like a fair process when you have an 80% disabled veteran out there like myself, with all the degrees in the world and can't even get hired for a federal job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

liveranit

63 months ago

Here is the President of The VA In NYC address we should all write him a letter .I did already .His Human resource department need help in Professionalism

john.donnellan@va.gov

liveranit

63 months ago

Swaine Thompson in Atlanta, Georgia said: Swaine in Atlanta, Georgia said: Id like to know why the "Who you know theory?" supersedes qualifications and the fair-hiring process for government jobs?

1.) Why do the federal government post jobs on USAJOBS, then give that job to someone internal?

2.) Why post jobs and never give the applicant a status, especially if they are on a referral list for that job?

Seems to me that the Federal hiring process needs overhaul, especially for people with advanced degrees, veteran status and more. Hiring managers have TOO much power!!

I agree with you OMG I have been on referral lists for the past year and the Human Resource in NYC suck not even a response back .why get referred if their friends are next on line .why play us for fools

I ve been on a referral list for months. HR woman wont even call me back. Hung up on me when I asked "pertinant regulatory" questions relating to HR hiring......

If you are calling them.......sometime they put you on a referral list to SHUT YOU UP......but don't plan on hiring you.

OMG Me too his her name Vasquez ?? if so let me know I gave you the big guys address use it

liveranit

63 months ago

I have been referred for 6 jobs in 6 months not even a phone call .
I served 23 years active duty .

NoHype in Puerto Rico

63 months ago

Swaine in Atlanta, Georgia said: Id like to know why the "Who you know theory?" supersedes qualifications and the fair-hiring process for government jobs?

I'm a U.S. Postal Worker living in Puerto Rico this is very common practice here. The locals have a word for this in Spanish, "Pala."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Doesn't make it right though. This is outrageous when a disabled military veteran can't even get a government job because of the improprioty being conducted in the VA human resources and throughout the federal government.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

It really won't make any difference. I have contacted all the major media outlets, contacted my representatives in congress and I am now considering a hotline complaint with the inspector general of the VA, but at the end of the day it won't really matter because the VA will do whatever it takes to appear that their doing things the right way.

63 months ago

The most effective job search method is networking. I'm sure this is not news to anybody reading this post. As you all have said throughout this post - it is who you know and who knows you. I don't make the rules I just follow them.

On a seperate note, the application process has always been "don't call us, we'll call you". I would NEVER expect an HR department to provide updates to applicants, e.g. "Greetings Ms. Smith, this is a message to let you know that we just received your application!", "Great news! Your application has just been forwarded to the hiring manager.", "Hey, thought you'd like to know, you are still being considered for this position", or "Sorry! You weren't selected.". I don't make the rules I just follow them.

My advice - (1) start networking (you know it works...i read your posts) (2) let HR do their job, if a manager wants to hire you, HR will let you know and (3) stop wasting your time on writing letters (use this time to network).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

willy55 in columbia, South Carolina said: The federal government is like a mafia. This is particularly so in the military. I have seen it many times: people retire from military positions and then get shoe in jobs as contractors. Or spouses of active personnel get the open job even though it may have been advertised or others are way more qualified. Vetreans Hospital positions are given to others who make sideways moves to open positions at other locations, even though it was advertised, just to make it look legitimate.
These people are like mafiosos! It is similar to the situation with cops: the Blue Line.
They take care of each other. They have all theinside info. They manipulate everything for their own good. They descriminate against civilians in a big, big way.
Want to know more? Just assk me.

willy55, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You willy55? I have more responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for your job loss, and you curse the U.S.of A. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That this federal system, while slightly flawed, saves lives. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. I know deep down in places you dont talk about at parties, you don't want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Daily Time,

I read your post about networking, well thats all fine and dandy, but networking doesn't work. I know quite a few government employees and unless you work in HR and the hiring manager owes you a favor your not going to be chosen. I know a retired E7 that I was stationed with in the Navy that works for the EPA and he has personally forwarded my infomration to his boss and the HR managers and still nothing, so the whole theory on networking is blown out the window and is truly ineffective.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Does anyone have any good advice on getting a job in the federal government?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Swaine,

I understand what your saying, but I have contacted the media and several other noteworthy resources to alert them of the problem with hiring in the federal government and how veterans are getting shafted, but no one cares. I had a congressional inquiry done with Senator Specters office here in Pennsylvania against the Erie VA and the result is always the same, the VA is following the proper hiring standard, but how can I get turned away from the same place for 3 years in a row even with taking a $30,000 pay cut just to accept a GS-5 position even though I am more than qualified at the GS-9 level. This was something I was willing to do just to be closer to Erie, PA. I just don't know why its so hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Swain,

I appreciate your advice. The only problem with going to Erie is that I already live 5 hours away in York, PA. I am just so upset with the Erie VA and those HR managers there that think their just so smart. This is what I get for 15 years of dedicated service and all the wasted hours studying at night. I have no problems starting out at a GS-7 level, but its very insaulting to have to start out at a GS-5 level with a masters degree and 15 years of military service. I guess I will just bombard them with Freedom of Information Act requests (FOIA) and have them waste man hours tracking down all the information I request.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Why take a tape recorder or video camera? If you record the call without their knowledge thats a federal offense (wire tapping). There has to be an easier way to get a job with the government.

63 months ago

Swaine Thompson in Atlanta, Georgia said: BTW - the next time anyone calls HR (connect a cassette recorder to the phone line) or if you visit them.....take a micro cassette recorder or a video camera.

As hard as the economy is, I cannot see paying someone to be rude to veterans/applicants.

Trust me, enough people send this to the media, heads will roll.

Hello. I'm Chris Hansen with NBC Dateline.

63 months ago

Whose Chris Hansen and how does he affect anything?

63 months ago

jagman298 in Red Lion, Pennsylvania said: Why take a tape recorder or video camera? If you record the call without their knowledge thats a federal offense (wire tapping). There has to be an easier way to get a job with the government.

Would it be a federal offense to hide in the drop ceiling above the HR representatives desk. You hear everything they are saying and you can probably get a good view of their desktop. Or, you could put a small microphone in a peanut butter jelly sandwich and leave it in the breakroom fridge with a note on it - "For HR Rep". They would inadvertantly eat the microphone and then you could hear everything from inside their stomach. Hopefully, you'll have gathered all the intel you need before you hear the toilet flush. Once you hear that it's gone. "Next on Geraldo, you'll get the inside scoop on federal hiring practices".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Daily Time,

If you can't say anything serious or see that this is a problem with the federal hiring system then keep your joking to yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Swain your absolutely correct. Daily Time just thinks this is a joke. The hiring problem with the federal government is no joke and someone simply needs to fix it.

63 months ago

Swaine Thompson in Atlanta, Georgia said: BTW - the next time anyone calls HR (connect a cassette recorder to the phone line) or if you visit them.....take a micro cassette recorder or a video camera.

As hard as the economy is, I cannot see paying someone to be rude to veterans/applicants.

Trust me, enough people send this to the media, heads will roll.

I once wore a helmet camera during an interview with an HR representive from the USDA. She was soooo nervous. Her manager came in and asked me what was going on. I told her I had been skydiving earlier in the morning and I forgot to take off my helmet off. Thankfully I had the skydiving goggles on as well so they really didn't seem that suspicious.

63 months ago

Swain what were you doing with the helmet on?

63 months ago

jagman298 in Red Lion, Pennsylvania said: Does anyone have any good advice on getting a job in the federal government?

Look for jobs for which the agency has been given Direct Hiring Authority. This will be only for difficult to fill positions. Or, Federal Job Fairs, FDIC held one in Dulles Hyatt back in January. They don't advertise heavily because 1) they don't have to and 2) if they do, 10,000 people show up. They typically have HR and Selecting Officials on-site. Folks that had targeted federal format resumes and transcripts on had were getting Tentative Offers on the spot. Go to blue pages in phone book. Know every HR rep for every fed agency in your target area. Time in grade requirements are being waived left and right. Get in at GS anything, wait 90 days (if interagency), and post for GS dream job. You'll smash the competion as internal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

jagman298 in Red Lion, Pennsylvania said: Swain your absolutely correct. Daily Time just thinks this is a joke. The hiring problem with the federal government is no joke and someone simply needs to fix it.

getting a job with the feds ain't no joke....Swaine suggesting recording a conversation or using a video camera - now that there is a down right knee slappin belly laugh

63 months ago

Congrats Swaine. I hope you get the job, but I'm holding my breath because I know how the VA is.

63 months ago

Swaine,

oh okay I thought you said it was. Hopefully it will turn out differently then.

63 months ago

Swaine Thompson in Atlanta, Georgia said: Just had an HR Specialist notify me (TODAY) that I made the referral list for a position here in the Atlanta. This is what I would expect - even if I did not make the list.....tell them.

Don't have people constantly calling. Keep applicants informed!

Congratulations. Good Luck. Remember, no recording devices - pad of paper and a pen. If they ask how the application process has been going, smile big and say - "Great! Fabulous! What a great system of hiring you have here at the Federal Gov't!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ArmyWifeMBA

62 months ago

jagman298 asks: "Does anyone have any good advice on getting a job in the federal government?"

I have been working with the govt for 1 year. I am not a VET and am not sure if I was afforded the privilege of using my military spouse preference for this job. I have no prior federal employment status.

Over the years, I have applied for numerous fed jobs. In 2007, we pcs'ed (relocated) to NY metro area. While visiting Civ Per Office, the rep gave me the following advise that helped me finally snag my fed job. I hope this advice helps you.

1. Apply for jobs that can not be done by an active duty personnel for they will be given preference (if they are one of the top three best qualified applicants). For example, I was applying for Safety and Health Representatives and Quality Assurance. Both of these have active duty MOS equivalent jobs.

She suggests that I only apply for engineering jobs because a large majority of veterans do not hold engineering degrees and this is a high demand job (depending on the market).

I applied in Jan 2008 and started in June 2008.

2. Review the job announcement with a fine tooth comb. Pay particular attention to key words, "buzz words" and make sure to include these on your resumes. Most job applicant's resumes are initially reviewed by a computer software that is loaded with key words to look for within the resume. If your resume does not pass the initial computer screening, it will not be passed on to the hiring officials.

3. My advice, apply for intern positions (most are quickly promoted jobs) or within a payband (there are a few out there). The pay bands, do not adhere to a time in grade restriction. They are pay for performance. I started at $73k and am at $80k now. I graduate from the internship in Jan with an additional pay increase. I do have two masters degree and completing my PhD, but took the internship.

Lastly, some geographically areas have more fed jobs and more VETs than others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.