Will layoffs be coming soon?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

ZR in Huntington Station, New York

86 months ago

I was offered a position in NY and was wondering with the buyout by KKR, will jobs be there after 1 year or two?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

frisky diver in Pompano Beach, Florida

83 months ago

Rumour has it that massive layoffs will occur on 11/15; good time to be looking for a job if you're in India or China, though, as that's where the work is probably heading.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

davo444 in Kennesaw, Georgia

83 months ago

Yup, Big layoff today. Pretty much a bloodbath, especially at the VP level

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BizCoachJim in Sacramento, California

82 months ago

Certainly becoming the norm for corporate to downsize and outsource. Maybe it's time for affected employees to take charge and work for themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

cyberlis in California

82 months ago

After 12 years of dedicated service, I was one of the unfortunate ones to to be laid off-although I was not part of management or the executive group. While I managed to dodge the "proverbial" bullet during all the previous layoffs, I was always waiting for the "other-shoe-to-drop," which finally did. This has happened almost regularly for as long as I have worked for FDC-prior to, and after the buyout by KKR... Often right before the holidays.

Those seeking reasonably long-term employment (whether that’s even possible in this day-and-age) would be wise to go somewhere else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

scybert in Plano, Texas

82 months ago

I got the proverbial bullet as well. Not fun. I thought this was my last stop...NOT! I was an OA for 2 card teams. If anyone has any ideas, please throw them my way. I was totally in shock even though I had heard all the rumors. "Not me" I kept thinking. I was in a remote office so was never very comfy, now I know why! "Remote" means just what it says! Good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

ray nople in orlando, Florida

82 months ago

Word is that there are more layoffs coming to First Data effective March 31st 2008.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No Reply - Report abuse

scybert in Plano, Texas

82 months ago

ray nople in orlando, Florida said: Word is that there are more layoffs coming to First Data effective March 31st 2008.

Watch "Barbarians At The Gate" w/James Garner & KKR!!! Veddy intedesting! Netflix.com!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

scybert in Plano, Texas

82 months ago

I didn't know that. thx Also, have you seen "Barbarians At The Gate". It's a story about Nabisco/RJR Tobacco getting bought out by KKR. James Garner is the CEO of Nabisco. Very much like our deal. Merry Christmas...Sandy in Big D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

John Smith Soon To be layoffed in NYC, New York

79 months ago

It is highly likely to happen. It is shame that very good technical people will lose their jobs and a few executives will get richer. I believe that technical people should organize a union (some other/better job protecting method) to save IT jobs in the USA. Why do we allow these greedy excutives to outsource the jobs of the rank & file? Executive jobs should also get outsourced. Companies can save a lot of money by outsourcing these executive positions.

Most likely I will be laid off and will have a very hard time to find an equivalent job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

L7 in Baltimore, Maryland

79 months ago

Has anyone else heard anything about the chances for more layoffs March 2008?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Undisclosed in Moorpark, California

78 months ago

L7 in Baltimore, Maryland said: Has anyone else heard anything about the chances for more layoffs March 2008?

I do not know whether there will be more layoffs in March 2008, but if the Denver Post news article posted March 22, 2008 (click on the following link: www.denverpost.com/business/ci_8657434) is any indication, then I would say that it is likely. In that article, Michael Capellas is quoted as stating that "Given the slowing economy, more cost-cutting and job reductions are likely."

Given Capella's history of laying off large numbers of employees during his tenure at other corporations, I'd say expect more of the same.

Read the New York Times article published July 20, 2007 (click on the following link, or copy and paste the link into your browser: www.nytimes.com/2007/07/20/business/20capellas.html). It details his "serial job-hopping," as the article's author Eric Dash wrote so eloquently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

jim kirk in Omaha, Nebraska

77 months ago

400 highly paid Omaha programmers will lose their jobs - JULY 2008

www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1208&u_sid=10336911

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

DOESN'T MATTER in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

57 months ago

WAS LAID OFF APRIL OF '09 WAS THE FIRST PART OF A ROUND OF 300 PEOPLE...SOME BEING AT FIRST DATA FOR ALMOST 20 YEARS. DUE TO THEIR GREED AND OUTSCOURCING THEY WILL BE RESPOSIBLE FOR OUR RETRAINING, HEALTH INSURANCE, AND UNEMPLOYMENT FOR UP TO 3 YEARS. THEY HAVE TRIED TO FIGHT THIS BUT THE GOVERNMENT HAD OTHER PLANS FOR FD. THEY POSTED OPENINGS BUT NEVER REHIRED FD EMPLOYEES...NOW BOA HAS STEPPED IN. RUMOR IS MICHAEL CAPELLAS WAS RESPOSILE FOR STARTING THE BALL ROLLING ALONG WITH KKR...TO DESTROY THE LIVES OF ALL THESE PEOPLE. HOPEFULLY BOA WILL RESTORE SOME SANITY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cyberlis in Moorpark, California

57 months ago

Boy do I feel your pain, however, I'm happy to hear that the government is finally stepping in and forcing First Data to take responsibility for retraining, assistance with health insurance, and unemployment for its laid-off employees. (Although, First Data-especially Mr. Capellas-should be punished for all of their nefarious actions long ago!)

Many complain about the economy, yet many more are also eager to defend today's capitalism... well, First Data, Mr. Capellas, and KKR are the poster children for what's wrong with such greedy, capitalistic corporations and our economy today. They undermine everything that's great with our country by continuing their crooked LBO's and bad business practices. As a result, this country can expect a long wait before recovering from such ruthless businesses. I sincerely hope that BOA can actually restore some of the sanity that's already been lost.

So much has been written about KKR, Mr. Capellas, Silverlake Partners, Serena Software, and Bain Capital. To dig into Capellas' past, one need only go to 'Wikipedia' to learn of his history as the "job-hopping CEO." Furthermore, should one dig a little deeper, one begins to see how Mr. Capellas has also been personally involved with the likes of KKR, Silverlake, Serena Software, and Bain Capital.

Wishing you the best of luck in overcoming the rotten hurdle of being laid-off, by finding a new, more rewarding job at a exceedingly better company than First Data (preferably with one that values its employees instead of treating them as disposable goods).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

liedto in Washington, District of Columbia

57 months ago

I don't think BOA will help. In reality, the only thing this joint venture has done is stripped employees of benefits and blocked them from working at any other parts of FDC. They said the new venture would be better for their employees. Those unfortunate employees were forced into the joint venture. The only choice was to accept or quit. No lay off package. The insurance offered is more expensive than previous FDC insurance. In late December, "BAMS" sent out a update on their progress. Somewhere in the middle the notice it announced no "FDC Legacy" employee will be able to carry over their sick time. Many employees had hundreds of hours in their sick bank. Time earned for years and years. It will be wiped out. No compensation and very little notice. This venture has been a complete disaster for long term employees. Its only going to get worse from here. The employee turn over will be amazing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cyberlis in Moorpark, California

57 months ago

That's really too bad! FDC is doing the same thing at the location where I used to work... I guess it is an ultimatum of either working in the joint venture or leaving. My former co-workers were told they could accept a position with Accenture, or quit... but for those who stay, they lose their severance and sick leave as well. That should be against the law! I wish someone would take notice and punish FDC for their unsavory actions. Unfortunately, because they've become "private," they're probably conveniently exempt from any legal action taken against them. There really should be something in place to prevent corporate corruption like this from happening.

I too was a long-term employee, and it still angers me that they got away with taking half of my severance pay away! I can't even imagine what the employees at your location must be feeling right now.

How rotten of FDC to do that! Some thanks for everyone's long hard work...

It's hard to remain "polite" when big corporations get away with this kind of stuff!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

n4372k in Bellevue, Nebraska

47 months ago

Anyone know what the application developer position posting at FDR in Omaha, NE is about?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jesse in La Vista, Nebraska

42 months ago

I had a family member who worked at FDR's Omaha headquarters for 11 years before being laid off. There was apparently a joke in the company that when they promoted someone, that person would move up a floor. Once that employee would reach the top, FDR's next move would be to push them off the top.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.