What's the company culture at Gap?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Gap?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Gap?

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in SF in San Leandro, California

88 months ago

Horrible. They give the impression of a way cool and diverse organization yet in the end it is a total political cluster F%^k. Your job evaluation is not based on performance but rather how good you can kiss butt. I've seen people that performed above and beyond what was expected get the shaft because they do not "possess leadership potential", in managements eye, regardless of positive comping businesses and increased revenue. I've also seen people that have a negative comping business trend get promoted because management "has a feeling about their potential",
It's a political mess and a back stabbing culture.
Right now they are laying off hundreds of employees in the corporate offices. Mostly people that have been there for years, have higher salaries and lots of stock options. With the current stock price these people cannot cash in on the money set aside for their future.
Disgusting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

BR associate in San Diego, California

87 months ago

i believe that it depends on which company you work for within the Gap family. Oldnavy is designed to be more of a laid back environment, when compared to Banana republic. the dress code at banana republic was recently changed to do away with casual fridays. don't think you will be coming to work in anything other then slacks or chino's. interesting when our own brand sells jeans and shorts which no employee can wear.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

San Francisco in South San Francisco, California

86 months ago

I use to work in Old Navy as an Exec Assistant several months ago and quit. It iss the worst place I have ever worked. They give the impression of being super cool fun, team oriented place but in reality the people are immature, back stabbing, two face liars. The culture is horrible!! If anyone is reading this I would not apply for anything jobs there. Please read San Leandro blog, very true!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in San Francisco, California

86 months ago

I also used to work as an Executive Assistant for Old Navy and I agree w/ all of the comments. I would NOT recommend any one to work for Old Navy. It is the most dysfunctional company I have ever worked for. I.T. is slow (simple requests like a password log-on often take weeks before they're taken care of). HR is horrible. They don't help you when you're having an issue w/ other co-workers or your boss - they basically don't care. From what I've seen and have experienced, the culture is very, very political. The people are fake and immature (including management). Employees are not valued and are overworked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grad student in Yadkinville, North Carolina

86 months ago

I recently applied for the Training program and was exceedingly overqualified. They interviewed me several times and made it seem like things were great then ultimately sent me a one line email stating that "after careful consideration" (in this case 1 day) I was not chosen to go on to the 90th level of interviews. So many people in the retail industry, other businesses, and many recent grads have negative feelings about the company but I was willing to give them a chance despite the fact that 1). They don't have an actual CEO and they can't seem to attract one, 2.) They are not performing financially, 3.) They have grown to an unmanagable size {especially internationally}. At first I was a little sad that I didn't get the job, but now I think it may have been the best thing ever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

samantha in New York, New York

85 months ago

Anonymous in San Francisco, California said: I also used to work as an Executive Assistant for Old Navy and I agree w/ all of the comments. I would NOT recommend any one to work for Old Navy. It is the most dysfunctional company I have ever worked for. I.T. is slow (simple requests like a password log-on often take weeks before they're taken care of). HR is horrible. They don't help you when you're having an issue w/ other co-workers or your boss - they basically don't care. From what I've seen and have experienced, the culture is very, very political. The people are fake and immature (including management). Employees are not valued and are overworked.

How was the pay like for an assistant level position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Anul Saravanan in San Bruno, California

67 months ago

I worked at Gap corporate for years. Agree with others it is most important to kiss up to every single manager and director you meet.

Your performance evaluation is an annual popularity contest. Manager surveys 5 people you name as well as "others" you don't name. They better all like you or you are screwed. Your quality of work or amount of free OT hours you give them doesn't matter.

Also agree with other posters it is ultra political - do not comment about anyone and just look blankly if someone else talks bad about anyone. Don't be overheard expressing opinions and don't joke about anything in this prison. Just work your 10 hours and go home. Even that is no guarantee you won't be laid off.

Also it is overmanaged, with 1 or 2 managers and directors for every 5-6 worker bees. When the layoffs come, all the useless managers, directors and senior directors stay and the productive workers go. What a nightmare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Shoplover

18 months ago

Completely 100% agree with everyone. I've worked for Neimans, Saks, J.Crew and several other smaller boutique stores and Gap was by far the absolute worst company I've ever worked for. Such a relief when I finally got out of that place. So true about the employees being under valued and overworked! You're given unrealistic expectations and all the managers care about is making themselves look good to the DM or RM that don't even give a crap about the managers. Most unorganized cluster *you know what* of a company. No wonder no one wants to shop at any of the brands anymore because the company unfortunately is going downhill. They sounds like everyone is so laid back and chill but like the other people said the minute you walk out of the break room or stock room you better believe you're going to get ripped to shreds buy your fellow co-workers and managers. Such an unprofessional company. But hey, see for yourself but I don't want to say I told you so...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.