How to get a job at GameStop.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 53)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at GameStop? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

jesus ayala in Pico Rivera, California

89 months ago

my name is jesus ayala and im intrested in worken in game stop. game are my thing i love games. i am intrested in worken in a new field and learning more things. i have great constumer service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (241) / No (479) Reply - Report abuse

KG in Albany, Georgia

88 months ago

Trust me you do NOT want to work for gamestop! They (the corporation) run it with a nazi approach. You do not matter to them. They will fire you as soon as they can find a reason to. They are a very punitive corporation. Everything is presented as a threat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (193) / No (387) Reply - Report abuse

JT in FLorida in Columbia, Tennessee

88 months ago

I've applied for both manager and assistant manager over a week ago and have not heard anything. I have a business degree and 5+ years sales exp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (109) / No (156) Reply - Report abuse

Kev in Saint Paul, Minnesota

88 months ago

Trust me... I have worked for Gamestop and EB Games while I was in High School and some of college. They are a horrible company to work for. If you like a stressful enviorment and constantly having goals that can't be made then you should check it out. The DM's are some of the worst people to have as your boss. If you like getting paid just over minimum wage you should apply. I was the third key, and open/closed the store for 2 years. There is really no chance for upper managment if you're looking for it. Since I graduated I have a job at the local news in MN and am doing very well. I look back at my work days at Gamestop and have nothing but negative things to say about it. Oh, and if you want to work for a job that doesn't pay you time and a half for working holidays... go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (301) / No (147) Reply - Report abuse

KG in Albany, Georgia

88 months ago

Kev nailed it! People want to work for gamestop because of their love of games. Gamestop will sour you on gaming forever! The company doesn't give a %#&@ about games, only unrealistic sales figures and running off their people. They will use you and spit you out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (179) / No (106) Reply - Report abuse

Mako Mizuta in Crofton, Maryland

87 months ago

are you KIDDING ME!?!??!

that sounds AWESOME!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (136) / No (177) Reply - Report abuse

Kev in Saint Paul, Minnesota

87 months ago

Also if you do love games and consider it a hobby. Gamestop will change that for you and you will want nothing to do with them when you are working there. They do not care about their employees and only care about really unrealistic goals that will not be met. I mean listen to what I used to have to say CONSTANTLY on the phone everyday...
" Thanks for calling " " Gamestop where we buy and sell used games and where you can save $100 dollars on a PS3, how can I help you?" then you are basically REQUIRED to say really dumb things like... " Do you have an EDGE card? Oh you should get one, it's only 15 extra dollars for a magazine and 10% off used games.... blah blah blah" I mean next time you walk into a Gamestop take a look at the employees and how they are talking. My DM is the biggest dumb ass I ever met, corporate has NO trust in the employees and will never give it to you. All they do is look at numbers and nothing else.

not to mention your 6.50 an HOUR... HA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (189) / No (117) Reply - Report abuse

mirza nadeem baig in Leesburg, Virginia

87 months ago

me and my kids love buy games from game stop and e games

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (259) Reply - Report abuse

Joey in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

Kev in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Also if you do love games and consider it a hobby. Gamestop will change that for you and you will want nothing to do with them when you are working there. They do not care about their employees and only care about really unrealistic goals that will not be met. I mean listen to what I used to have to say CONSTANTLY on the phone everyday...
" Thanks for calling " " Gamestop where we buy and sell used games and where you can save $100 dollars on a PS3, how can I help you?" then you are basically REQUIRED to say really dumb things like... " Do you have an EDGE card? Oh you should get one, it's only 15 extra dollars for a magazine and 10% off used games.... blah blah blah" I mean next time you walk into a Gamestop take a look at the employees and how they are talking. My DM is the biggest dumb ass I ever met, corporate has NO trust in the employees and will never give it to you. All they do is look at numbers and nothing else.

not to mention your 6.50 an HOUR... HA

'Hit the nail on the head. If you like video games and would like to continue liking video games, don't work at GameStop. I haven't been the same since i worked there as an ASM. Something about unethically pushing subscriptions and reserves for numbers and betraying people who share your hobby just kind of strangles the kid inside you. You become jaded very quickly, the pay is abysmal. Mostly, however, I think the saddest part is that you take an expectation of providing a great service in something you enjoy and pervert it by lying to customers to boost your numbers. (ie. pretending you think 50 Cent Bulletproof looks promising and getting an unsuspecting gamer to reserve it). And though I know that ultimately it is the consumer's responsibility to make an informed decision, GS employees are dogs of the corporation, who is in cahoots with the bigger video game companies(EA, Activision, etc). The dirt never comes off... =(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (138) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

Peblo in Baltimore, Maryland

81 months ago

Well I have only worked at Game Stop for a few months. And I have worked the most busy time of the year (before and after christmas, including open and close for two days before christmas, and the day after which were busy as hell). I have to say it really isn't that bad. I have only had a few butt heads. I love my co workers. They are some of the funniest people I have ever met, and easy to work with. However, the hours are pretty bad if you WANT to work. One week I got almost 35 hours. The week after I got around 12 hours. I have not worked all this week. So if you want to have a kinda fun job and like to work hard but don't want to work too many days a week, then game stop is a pretty good job. If you want a career and money...you are screwed. The pay is also pretty bad. The most I have heard of someone getting paid when they fist start is 7.50 and hour. One of my co workers has been working for a over a year and is only getting like 7.20 and hour. I get paid 6.15...no matter what it stinks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (130) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

witcher in Denver, Colorado

73 months ago

gamestop can be a really great place to work if that is exactly what you want to do. i do work there and just want to say that most people that get hired there think that because its a game store that all you do all day is play games.Those are the people that get hired then get fired and then whine about how crappy it is at gamestop. if your a hard worker and good with people then please join up. if your a slacker that thinks he/she should get paid for standing behind a counter because he beat halo once
then go work at game crazy :).

i do agree that the pay could be a little higher but it not like your working in the sun breaking rocks, your selling video games and helping gamers find games.

only mature responses please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (244) / No (57) Reply - Report abuse

Gamer4Life in Hadley, Massachusetts

73 months ago

I completely agree with Witcher. I worked for GameStop from August of last year until just a couple weeks ago and the only reason I quit was because I was moving to another state and I'm already applying at the GameStop just down the street. Honestly, compared to most minimum wage jobs, GameStop is not the worst thing you could be doing. Try working at McDonald's for a week and tell me their upper management isn't full of douchebags.

GameStop is a great place to work when you have little or no experience in retail. It helped me build confidence in my customer service by learning to push magazines and reserves on people who had never even picked up a controller. As crazy as that sounds, I really enjoyed working there, but it could have been because I'm was the only girl working there so the majority of the customers were very nice to me when they actually did talk to me.

I made a lot of friends there and everyone I worked with was awesome. We would compete with eachother over who had the best numbers at the end of the night and help eachother get reserves and subs if we saw they were losing the customer. We made the best of working for an evil company and even joked with customers about it when the customer would get angry about our trade-in values. I would always let them know that they'd get at least twice as much on EBay if they didn't want to trade in with GameStop and was very understanding being a gamer myself. In the end though, they would always trade-in at GameStop. I honestly think your experience working for GameStop is what you make it.

I think the one thing I disliked about GameStop was the dress code. I never imagined GameStop employees would wear collared shirts, dress pants, and dress shoes. I think it intimidates customers and gives off the impression that we, as game advisors, are superior to fellow gamers. I like video games as much as the next person, but I don't want to dress like I'm as coporate as GameStop

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (194) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

MakenZero in Norcross, Georgia

73 months ago

I worked for Gamestop for three years. I started out as a game advisor for 5 months, got moved up to third key and then I made Assistant Manager. Gamestop does really treat their people pretty badly. Even the customers were astounded that I was there for 3 years. I hade a good boss, she was mean but got the nervousness out of me. She's still with the company and has been there for over 5 years probably on her 6 years now. They truly only care about numbers. The would always come to our Gamestop and use my boss at other stores and replacing her with other people to help run our store. Then they kept her their at that store and we kept getting manager changes. I mean I liked the second manager we got he was a bit more laid back but it was just we didn't know him as well. Having to change the way we work constnatly wore me out. By the third manager IS an idiot. A guy who only been with the company for 6 months they chose for him to be manager. he was an ex car salemans. The only thing when they brought him to our store, I didn't know him at all which concerned me, I knew something was wrong had a bad feeling about it. Next thing you know the kids that worked with me are telling me they didn't feel comfortable he was asking things about me. And I'm like he should just ask me. So number 1 yeah looking for stuff I did wrong. I'm not the best employee but by God I know I was the person who help keep that place going. Working off the clock make sure everythings ok. The guy all he did was look at NUMBERS all the damn time, pushed his work on somebody else. Any manager would know better on to help the other employees if they don't then stuff doesn't get done. I was trying to stay there throughout the summer then go back to school. But that got cut short they started pushing blame on me. And that's never happened before all the years so I knew something was wrong. I was pretty much forced to put in my two weeks pissed me off. Still looking for a job throughout the whole summe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

MakenZero in Norcross, Georgia

73 months ago

Also Gamestop literally means Game STOP. If you love videogames you'll not only start not playing them, you won't even have time to play your games because a lot of time you're at the store. Sure you know everything about the games coing out and what not. But they don't are about your life. All I wanted was a part time job. I moved up to Assistant Manager because they always never let us hire anybody else. To point where it was just me and my boss who were the only ones working there. I was still a third key at the time so I worked 6 days and she never took a break. And since I was a third key I knew more then most assistant managers or managers were doing because we had no one else. I had so much more and my first boss wanted me to be Assistant manager because I had been working so hard and was doing everything a assistant manager is doing. So instead of gett paid. $6.00 (I got that just because I had some experience in retail wow only 15 cents more then a game advisor.) I went up to 10 dollars even. Not only that she was so burnt out one year she took two months off and I was in charge. I was scared like crazy. Loss some items couldn't figure out what happen. My kids don't steal, I know where everyone of them lives been to most their houses know their entire family and they all go to school right down the street. Plus Boss was so damn strict that they get their hearts ripped out. I was the nice one. so we got a good team later on. But yeah Gamestop don't work there unless you're just a game advisor. When I wanted to work for EB Games at the time. It took me a year and a half to get in there. So don't look at getting in there ASAP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

kamal in Male, Maldives

73 months ago

F Wong in Los Angeles, California said: Newsflash, being friends with the manager is the only real way to get any jobs at all. Don't give me that "hard work" bs.

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (54) Reply - Report abuse

Reino in Dyersburg, Tennessee

73 months ago

Looking fir a job at gamestop. I would enjoy working there, being around games and talking about them and playing them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (92) Reply - Report abuse

AT H in MSP, Maine

72 months ago

Where do real gamers shop then eh? I'm applying to GS only to have a little cash coming in while I go to school. I asked for $8.50 and the manager said he would call in and attempt to get that for me. I don't really want to work for below $8.00 and I'm not going to. GS has realized that they've treated their employees like garbage. Because of this, they are beginning to revamp their Company policy's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Joey in deepinahearta, Texas

72 months ago

AT H in MSP, Maine said: Where do real gamers shop then eh? I'm applying to GS only to have a little cash coming in while I go to school. I asked for $8.50 and the manager said he would call in and attempt to get that for me. I don't really want to work for below $8.00 and I'm not going to. GS has realized that they've treated their employees like garbage. Because of this, they are beginning to revamp their Company policy's.

I don't know how anyone in this country could possibly take even a part-time job for 8 bucks an hour. If you have a high school diploma and some kind of people skills there isn't any reason to waste your time in retail. GameStop is a horrible place to work. They treat their employees as expendable. I don't even shop there anymore because the kids they hire don't really know anything except how to alphabetize and process trade-ins, the prices are terrible, and even if the customer isn't holding anything in their hands they are required to ask if you have anything to sell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (53) Reply - Report abuse

Jenilee Dunson in Twinsburg, Ohio

63 months ago

Anyways, I would love to work at gamestop, But they dont hire from here, you have to go to their website gamestop.com click on careers, and fill out an application. Or just go into your local branch and pick one up. I've tried several times to get on at various ones in different states. Made it to the interview process one time. But at the time had no other retail experience. One store ticked me off and I'm pretty sure was discriminating against me because I'm female, nevermind I own more games/consoles than any guy I've ever met and have been gaming since atarii. - I would go in about twice a week and look around, sometimes buy a game or two, and say "just checking on the status of my application" They would say "Sorry we haven't had time to look them over yet, we're really understaffed" SO IF YOU'RE UNDERSTAFFED HIRE SOMEONE ALREADY SHEESH..... Right now, I'm not sure if gamestop would give enough hours to support me but I put an application in a few weeks ago anyways. Being unemployed sucks, Retail sucks too but I highly doubt the problems listed in this thread are unique to gamestop. My last retail job ended up over hiring one summer and cut my (and other) employees hours down to less than 10 hours a week, I left and went to work at a call center/help desk position after that. - honestly these problems are typical of retail. If you like games, there are worse places to work. Also gamestop lets you borrow their games to take home as "training" which is pretty sweet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Milenko601 in Gloster, Mississippi

47 months ago

I worked at gamestop last year. At first, I thought it sucked because I didn't get a lot of hours. Because of that, I quit. Then I realized, I'm only working part-time so that's common. Pay wasn't horrible, but it's enough for a college kid. So I applied again last week. Today, I went and bought Medal of Honor. While there, the manager was telling me about the new Power Up card. Since I like games, I was interested. I asked questions and we talked about it and previous games. After that, I asked him about the status of my app and he said that I was on his "Call List" and I would be receiving a call later this week to schedule an interview :D He knows I've worked there before and I didn't have a bad rep. I feel confident that I can get the job again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Lovaela in Albuquerque, New Mexico

46 months ago

GameStop isn't all that bad. As many have said before me there are worse jobs to have, especially at minimum wage. I've been working at GS since May and just got promoted to 3rd key. That's really not that bad... especially since I've lately been working about 7-14 hours a week max, which is all I really needed. This job is good for someone who needs pocket change, like a student or something. My fiance's job allows us to pay our bills, mine is pretty much just extra spending money.

I think it's funny that a lot of people are complaining that the stores don't care about their employees. I would not say this about the overall company- I have wonderful co-workers and supervisors and on the contrary to what everyone else has said, I have a great DM. HOWEVER, yes, they are concerned with numbers. It's retail, guys. If your boss and your bosses boss and your bosses bosses boss didn't worry about numbers, they wouldn't have their jobs either. You guys make it sound like they have secure jobs, but they don't. It's the DM's job to make sure their district is getting the numbers required for him/her to keep their job, too!

The only thing remotely annoying about my job are the idiots that come into the store. But they are nothing compared to the awesome people I've met working there, both co-workers and customers. Oh and the other thing is that yes, it can be really hard to reach your numbers. But at least at my store, as long as you show that you're actively trying, that's good enough.

I don't plan on being with GS "forever" but I do love my job and right now don't plan on going anywhere. As long as you like games, GameStop is great. I'm a big gamer (I have just about any system you can name) and this job hasn't made me want to game any less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sergeant Weezy in Williamston, Michigan

44 months ago

this job sounds like a grid, like tron. you guys make it sound so delightful just like John and Philip.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Steve O'L in Cork, Ireland

42 months ago

I dont know how they run things in Gamestop in america, but here in Ireland it's fine, the guys I work with are into gaming and on a quiet day we switch the demo reel off the tv behind the counter and have mini competitions until someone comes in...

Honestly, I love working here, but maybe it's run differently here :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

umadbrah in Waterford, Michigan

42 months ago

I just got a job at a local GameStop about 3 weeks ago. I really do love it. However my hours depend on if i get more reserves than the other GA they hired the same time i started. then again when i say hours i mean instead of getting 12 or even 8 hours a week.. i may get like 15 to 16 (holy crap am i right). pay also sucks then again.. im selling video games. I do however feel like a horrible person when im ringing up a customer who i know is broke trying to scrape up their change to buy there kids a 20$ used game and have to ask them if they want to spend even more money to get a discount card they may rarely use and a garbage magazine subscription that just promotes the crap out of gamestop. but whatever no matter what the job is, it remains just that.. a job and jobs can suck some times. i do find my self looking forward to those times that i do get reserves though.. something about getting them is just sweet haha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lovaela in Albuquerque, New Mexico

42 months ago

Hey umadbrah,
You know you don't have to "attack" the customer, that's not a good mentality about it! For the subscription, look at it as you're trying to help the customer save money in the long run. Don't be all "Do you have the card OHWELLYOUNEEDTOBUYIT"- Ask if they brought it with them as if they already have it, and then if they don't act surprised and say oh, well it might be something you'd be interested in and then highlight YOUR favorite 3 perks about it (mine are the discount and increase on trades, the points and how fast they rack up, and how the magazine talks about upcoming games). Try not to drown them with information. Also, if they're buying used games at the same time, subtract the amount they'd save on those from the price of the subscription. Telling them the magazine normally costs $15 dollars for a year but that they can get it for $9 today is a great way to nab the sale you need! Also, don't let the people that say no before you even finish your sentence discourage you! Smile!

As for the reserves.. open the book for them to look at while you get their games ready, try to judge what type of games they like based on what you're preparing, and then suggest something similar that they might like. If they say no, they say no, but in the least you've planted that seed in their head and they might come back later.

As for the pay... minimum wage sucks but you know, it's retail. But if you know what you're talking about game-wise, you end up liking the job, just stick with it and try to enjoy it. It won't take you long to move up the corporate ladder and get a raise! I was promoted to an SGA by my 8th month with the company!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

reptarqueen89 in Kershaw, South Carolina

39 months ago

witcher in Denver, Colorado said: gamestop can be a really great place to work if that is exactly what you want to do. i do work there and just want to say that most people that get hired there think that because its a game store that all you do all day is play games.Those are the people that get hired then get fired and then whine about how crappy it is at gamestop. if your a hard worker and good with people then please join up. if your a slacker that thinks he/she should get paid for standing behind a counter because he beat halo once
then go work at game crazy :).

i do agree that the pay could be a little higher but it not like your working in the sun breaking rocks, your selling video games and helping gamers find games.

only mature responses please

I have a GameStop opening in my town and I was wondering what could I do to get my foot in the door because I am very interested in making this my career, any answer would be helpful. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jak in El Paso, Texas

38 months ago

reptarqueen89 in Kershaw, South Carolina said: I have a GameStop opening in my town and I was wondering what could I do to get my foot in the door because I am very interested in making this my career, any answer would be helpful. Thank you

Look, this is going to be tough.

You need to apply and hope that by some sort of miracle, they'll call you for an interview. New hires are usually needed for the holidays. In my case, they hired me around April so I consider myself lucky. Whenever they need more employees, they just transfer people from one store to another. On top of that, you have to imagine all the little kids who apply to work at Gamestop but know squat about games and think the job is all about playing games all day.
So if you manage to get an interview, dress nicely (Despite what everyone says) and get ready to sell yourself. And I mean that in a nice way.
They will ask you if you can sell stuff, your knowledge about games and how long do you plan to stay there and stuff. Knowledge of games doesn't have to be hardcore. Heck, when i started, I was a PS3 expert but knew nothing about Xbox. But you learn with time. In my case, even though I had no sales experience, I told them I was eager to learn and that I really wanted the job and above all, I was a gamer. So I got the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jak in El Paso, Texas

38 months ago

Now for the nasty part. Look, I plan to be a Game Designer in the future so Gamestop is as good as a temp job is gonna be for me. I love my job, I love talking to people about games, I love helping confused mothers choose a good game, I love my co-workers, I love everything!
But! It's a sales environment. That means that your main priority should be selling stuff to people. Now, it might sound easy but imagine trying to sell around 5 to 10 memberships per day. Per day, not per week. A store membership comes with benefits but that's 15 dollars extra per year. It's not a bad deal but people are not just gonna run to buy one. On top of that, you gotta convince people to pre-order games; that's around 10 to 15 reservations per day. Like I said, not every single client is gonna want to do this for whatever reason. If you're a part timer, that means you have around 4 to 6 hours to do all this. Keep in mind that there are other employees around too that need to make their sales. On top of that, you gotta keep the store neat, approach every client that walks in, be polite at all times, answer the phone and ALWAYS keep yourself busy because you never know when someone important is spying on you.
Look, it's a fun job. But it's very challenging and stressful. Emphasis on stressful. Your chances of getting promoted vary depending on your performance. Basically, in order to move up, you must be one hell of a seller and be able to multitask. Because as soon as you move up, it only gets more stressful and you gain more responsibilities, of course.
It's a very competitive environment but it gets easier. But believe me, it will be challenging. If it wasn't for the stress of knowing that if I don't make enough numbers for the month I could probably get a warning, I would love to stay there for years and years to come.
And yes, minimum wage. But hey, I prefer to get minimum wage here than work at KFC and get the same amount. Thus, you're eligible for a raise every year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

thanks for the comments. I plan on going to school for Game Design/ Animation so this might help me a bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

twist718 in Saint James, New York

38 months ago

You can get a better job at wal-mart.
haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Hey, Just wanted to update you on the job thing. The store is opening up in 9 days and they had a job fair yesterday. I attended, along with about 20 high school students, and 10 adults who don't play games. I told them about my future plans, which is to be a game designer. And they were very impressed with me and my knowledge, maybe because i am a female. Received a call at about 6 pm last night and I am going for my 2nd interview on Friday. So, how about the 2nd interview process, is that a sure sign I've gotten the job, or what?? I'm very excited because my last career was being a cosmetologist, so I know all about sales and how to sell add on services, and how to sell random things they don't need, and I know how to market really really well. So, do you think that they will give me a job offer since I got the 2nd interview? Plus, do they provide the shirts to the employee, or do you have to buy them? Also, is the pay every week or every 2 weeks?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

umadbrah in Clarkston, Michigan

35 months ago

Lovela!

Wow i stumbled upon this looking up some facts about gamestop (number of stores etc) due to a serious case of no life and realized i posted on here haha.

But hey, It's been six months apparently since my last post..

So I feel as though an update is far over due haha.

3 months after I started, I was promoted to SGA. I have been SGA obviously for 3 months now. I'm being promoted to ASM as of this Sunday. Haha, it's safe to say i have learned the system through and through. I don't think I have gone a single day as SGA without getting at-least 2 PUR sign ups/renewals and let me just say for the location we are in (border of ghetto..) that is a feat!.. lmao nah but seriously I have been in the top 5 for my district every week/month consecutively since my promotion. I'm averaging 35-45% in res, 15% in PUR, 30% in GPG, and my upt is right around 1.80-1.95.

If you happen to read this maybe we can exchange strategies. I have realized that something i may think is the best approach in the world, somebody else has found a way to beast it up that much more :]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

@umadbrah in Saint Paul, Minnesota

35 months ago

umadbrah in Clarkston, Michigan said: Lovela!

Wow i stumbled upon this looking up some facts about gamestop (number of stores etc) due to a serious case of no life and realized i posted on here haha.

But hey, It's been six months apparently since my last post..

So I feel as though an update is far over due haha.

3 months after I started, I was promoted to SGA. I have been SGA obviously for 3 months now. I'm being promoted to ASM as of this Sunday. Haha, it's safe to say i have learned the system through and through. I don't think I have gone a single day as SGA without getting at-least 2 PUR sign ups/renewals and let me just say for the location we are in (border of ghetto..) that is a feat!.. lmao nah but seriously I have been in the top 5 for my district every week/month consecutively since my promotion. I'm averaging 35-45% in res, 15% in PUR, 30% in GPG, and my upt is right around 1.80-1.95.

If you happen to read this maybe we can exchange strategies. I have realized that something i may think is the best approach in the world, somebody else has found a way to beast it up that much more :]

Hi there well im getting hired and start my training next week, i'm trying to last longer then seasonal if im lucky =) I was wondering what kind of advice you could give someone who will be starting out? I mean I have sales experince i've done toysrus but I know two stores are not the same. I have no problem with selling products or anything like that and im very good at being a people person but i was wondering what tips u could give me besides that ocassional "bust your ass" because thats what i have gotten from ppl. I've read you post and that is impressive regarding your location and im from MA, but any help you could provide I would be greatful for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany Elmore in Valdosta, Georgia

35 months ago

I went into our GameStop to see if they were hiring. The Manager told me to come back on Wed(today). Which I did, thought it was an interview, but he now wants me to come back tomorrow and sell him their membership program. I thought this was a min wage job, where you don't need experience. Which I have experience and can do it, and will work hard. But I feel as if, he's not really hiring and wasting my time. Why did he not give the information to study Monday, and have me sell it to him today(Wed). Just frustrated and need a job, been out of work for 5 months. Looking for anything even min. wage jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lovaela in Tulsa, Oklahoma

35 months ago

Wow, I've never met a manager that has done that before. >.>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany Elmore in Valdosta, Georgia

35 months ago

Well I called the other gamestop and asked if they were hiring. And they are, and have a job fair tomorrow. Just weird that other other manager is doing things different. I also asked the other gamestop if the fair is for both locations, he said "no I don't know what thy guy is doing over there". It makes me wonder, he would not even keep my resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Update: Got the job have been working there for 2 months now :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kona in Henderson, Nevada

35 months ago

Tiffany Elmore in Valdosta, Georgia said: Well I called the other gamestop and asked if they were hiring. And they are, and have a job fair tomorrow. Just weird that other other manager is doing things different. I also asked the other gamestop if the fair is for both locations, he said "no I don't know what thy guy is doing over there". It makes me wonder, he would not even keep my resume.

Here's the thing with gamestop and how they hire, the Store Managers differ from every single store. When you apply it wholly depends on the staff at the store you're applying to on how well your time there or if you even get in, will turn out. You could have the worst staff in the world in terms of friendliness or get lucky and get that gem out of the rubble of stores.

I work in a GREAT store, my Store Manager is possibly the most awesome person in the world, my co-workers are HILARIOUS, I love when I have to work because everyone at my store is cool. I don't think I'm a new hire anymore, I've been here for four months loved every bit of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Roland0 in Miami, Florida

32 months ago

reptarqueen89 in Kershaw, South Carolina said: thanks for the comments. I plan on going to school for Game Design/ Animation so this might help me a bit.

As am I- you should look at these schools for Game design as i am: LCAD( Laguna college of Art and Design), DigiPen, Emily Carr( which i should mention works directly with EA, yes , E-A!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Nguyen, Joey in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

Okay, With Gamestop it varies form store to store. When you fill out an application it's just dropped on top of another pile that gets build up until they need extra people. So they randomly pick out who they might hire. But then again if you are still young, and want a high school job then GameStop is good for you. But if you are thinking about making a living, living of by working here...Think again. When I worked there for 3 years, it was great because my manager was awesome, we played games, made sales and work was fun. But when I relocated it was a disaster , the manager was a complete moron, and was always on my case. So like I mentioned earlier, depending on location and stores. Another tip is that GameStop usually hold a job fair, so go to your local branch and ask them when and where. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

bauoewbp in Wheeling, Illinois

29 months ago

Guys I just wanted to say, as an occasional GameStop shopper, I still continue to see people working there that I remember seeing there years ago, so maybe it's all relevant to location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Taustin10030 in New York, New York

22 months ago

What do you wear ,to drop an job application for GameStop only for a seasonal job position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

taustin10030 in New York, New York

21 months ago

When you fill out the gamestop application,What's happens next?(Please can I have a Legit Answer)Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JDarby in Medina, Ohio

12 months ago

I worked at GameStop for a few months back when Halo # came out. They really don't like to hire anyone. The only reason I got in was because my best friend was the GM there. I was made into the 3rd key manager only because I had previous managerial experience. The DMs and higher don't give a crap about you at all. I was fired because they thought I stole some product because i was the last person to leave the night before inventory. A few days later the GM called me and let me know they found the item, but the DM said not to give me my job back. Way to go GameStop for retention. They've since then closed down the store and instead of offering the employees that still worked there a job at another location...they fired them all, and gave them some money to live off of for a few months

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

NEBoyle in Dallas, Texas

12 months ago

I'm planning on applying for a part-time job at a local GameStop close to my house, and I'm quite shocked at all the negativity about it. Out of all the stores I've been to - both in state and out of state - I've never had any problems with employees pushing subscriptions onto me (just suggestions that I turned down until I saved enough money to buy them), and the employees always seemed to be enjoying themselves. Today, when I went to buy GTA V and preordered Byond: Two Souls, I chatted with a clerk and he was really nice and helpful with my questions, and even informed me that my Power-up Plus card had expired and asked if I wanted to renew it or not, not forcing me to renew it.

I currently work at Six Flags Over Texas (been there since my sophomore year of high school, now in my 4th (and final) year of college) doing some retail work and comparing the two, I think GameStop is better for me right now. I will continue to work at Six Flags as well as the pay is decent, but I will be graduating college in about 3 months and need to save up some extra money not only for my last few weeks of tuition, but also save up money for an apartment (I still live with my parents, and well Six Flags pay is okay but not enough for what I need).

So even if I get short hours, at least I can earn some more pocket money and stay closer to home. And I think having at least 7+ years experience working retail, as well as dealing with annoying children, moody teens and ticked off adults - all while working outside all year round - should be a plus in working at a game retail store.

Mature responses are much appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Piper2387 in Atlanta, Georgia

11 months ago

I currently work as an SM for the company. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but cannot lump every single store in as a whole when they had a bad experience at their own. GameStop is just like every other retail job: You have sales goals, you are required to push certain things because it is a SALES job, and you must assist the customer in making an informed decision about what they want to purchase. If you don't want to be a salesperson, then you are out of luck until you either get equivalent experience doing something else, or you get an education. It is great for the flexibility, the environment, and the people you meet. You will meet terrible people but that is the nature of ANY retail job.
Get over it. People are awful.

I agree that this is not the place for someone to make a living, but it is a great place to work especially if you are looking for a flexible job that gives you a discount on video games. I started in management because I had equivalent experience from working up to management at another company. I am only 25 and I know that this is not my career but it has supported my apartment, my car, and my lifestyle. You cannot complain about pay when you have never had a job before either. Do not expect to get paid $10/hour if you have no job experience.

My advice: Apply at a store that you enjoy shopping at. Do not call every single day to check up on your application because trust me, we will remember your name but not for a good reason; if we want to hire you, we will call you. Being a regular shopper there WILL get you a better chance of being hired. When I see your face often and constantly have pleasant conversation with you, I am 100% more likely to hire you because I know that you know your stuff, can have this type of conversation with customers, and are genuinely a positive person.

Hope this does not deter anyone from applying here, just be realistic when applying!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

drakewolfe in Dallas, Texas

11 months ago

This is in response to the SM. First, the whole point to a job is to SURVIVE, to be able to pay your bills, etc. 10/hr is NOT TO MUCH to ask a MULTI-BILLION dollar a year company to pay ANYONE. The people of Australia wised up against corps and their government set min wage to $17/hr we need to do that here in the States.

Yes the point of retail is to sale, at GS you sell GAMES, NOT THOSE CRAP CARDS, just like a Dillard's you sell clothes. So sell games to me, and leave the card and that biased crap you people call a magazine to the dogs.

Oh, and many McDonald's start people between $10 and $12 an hour now AND offer benefits to PT employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Domination591 in Santa Cruz, California

11 months ago

I don't agree with just upping the minimum wage. It it harder for people like me who have actually worked their hands to the bone for extended periods of time and kept myself willing to learn as much as i could. I think people just need to make smarter decisions, quit complaining, and actually do something about their professional situation. I have work my butt off to get to where I am. in six years i have moved up and now make excess of 60K a year. not bad for a 22 year old. I attribute that to dedication, consistency, a positive attitude, and no complaining. Don't blame your federal government for your shortcomings do something for yourself other than trying to make people feel bad for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

drakewolfe in Dallas, Texas

11 months ago

When it comes to working, I don't really have any short coming except for calling BS on bad decisions from management. It's not "just upping minimum wage", I was simply stating a point that other countries have the U.S. beat hands down when it comes to people working to survive. Not everyone has an opportunity to go to college and get $60,000+ in debt (but yet it's opportunity). And people weren't put on this Earth to (Work their hands to the bone), we were ALL put here to ENJOY life, but others tend to screw that up in the name of profits. And anyone has the RIGHT to complain, if something sucks, it sucks, and some are just more vocal about it I'm sorry, I still think that a multi-billion dollar company can AFFORD to pay more than the bare minimum and it SHOULD. Game Stop is just like Wal-Mart, a virus that kills small business, and bullies the little guys out of business, you know entrepreneurs that open up game stores so people don't HAVE to go to GS. I'm not blaming anyone, and my "short shortcomings" as you put it, I have 3 Bachelors, a B.A. in Graphic/Web Design, a B.A. in History, and a B.S. in Chemistry, I have a Masters degree in Marketing, and I'm working on a Sci.D in I.T./Electronics Security. I could close my shop and go out tomorrow and make 250K - 450K if I wanted to. I don't because I OWN my business and I ENJOY what I do, and I'm part of several gaming collectives. In other words I'm a very smart and committed person, so don't sit there and insult someone when you don't even know who they are, you could end up sticking your foot in your mouth like when you posted your rhetoric to me yesterday.

Now, that that has been said, what I'm saying is to un-ass some money and give employees INCENTIVES so 1.) Your employees will be HAPPY to stay. 2.) You can keep your knowledgeable employees, and 3.) It's just the right thing to do. 4.) DON'T be a tight, cheap ass. But if you're making 60K a year, you're a manager and already knew that right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.