Genzyme - What a Joke

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 70)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Ron in Bloomfield, New Jersey

92 months ago

Anyone considering a job at Genzyme think twice and then tink it over once more. The culture at Genzyme is a stuffy one. I had a conversation with one of its HR people and all she talked about was the culture at Genzyme and how they were very, very, very particular about the type of people they bring onboard, so much so it made me wonder how they found enough people to get the work done. Anyway my final opinion was why would anyone want to work in a place where you had to walk on egg shells? Before this experience I had a very low opinion of HR personnel but these people really sunk whatever opinions I had left and left me feeling empty, kind of like the feeling you get an hour after eating chinese food. Sorry you ate it in the first place and hungry for something more substantial.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

DAVID IN MEMPHIS in Arlington, Tennessee

92 months ago

IT'S FUNNY FOR A COMPANY LIKE THESE GUYS WHO ACT SO PICKY ABOUT THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THE JOB - I MET SOME GENZ. EMPLOYEES SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND I FOUND NOTHING ABOUT THEM THAT MADE THEM SO SPECIAL AS A MATTER OF FACT I REMEMBER ONE OF THE LADIES WAS WEARING AN OUTFIT AT A PRESENTATION THAT LOOKED LIKE SOMETHING A DISCO DIVA WOULD WEAR ON A SATURDAY NIGHT AT YOUR FAVORITE SMALL TOWN DISCO !UNPROFESSIONAL TO SAY THE LEAST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Maggie in Warwick, Rhode Island

91 months ago

I had a similar experience with their HR rep[name removed].I was called in for an interview and she was very cold right from the start.She was out of it and unprepared. She didn't even have a copy of my resume with her. Glad I made copies and brought them along! When I asked her if the position was an existing one or brand new she shrugged and said she didn't know.And this is the HR rep!In the last 2 minutes of our interview she wants to know my salary history.I've never been asked that during a first interview.I tried to push it aside to a later discussion but she laughed nastily and said "you'll have to put it on your job application anyway so just tell me." When I stated my requested salary range and quoted Salary.com she again scoffed "that site is bogus," After our interview she took me to the next interviewer and proceeded to have a long conversation with the other woman without even bothering to introduce me first. I just stood there in the background feeling uncomfortable. Then [name removed] left without even offering a handshake. The 3 other interviewers I met with were nice. I really felt like I did a great job in presenting myself and my qualifications. There was a nice rapport with all 3 of them. I was told that I would hear back within the week.After a week went by during which they had each received a nice thank you note from me I still didn't hear a peep.I finally sent a follow up email to Jake and she deigned to reply a full 2 days later stating that she had "just met" with the SVP and they had decided on another candidate. She didn't even bother with addressing me by name in her email or signing off. She was a cold fish from the beginning.I have always been accepted for every job I've interviewed for.I met all of the qualifcations for the position. I felt like I was a strong candidate.But this [name removed] made up her mind about me within the first 5 minutes and I truly feel that she influenced the others not to consider me. She is a lousy rep for Genzyme.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rae

90 months ago

I interviewed years ago at Genzyme. I even had a former collegue work there. After 6 interviews and a lot of time spent, they decided they wanted to change the job entirely. The position was in the HR department. If you want to spend a lot of time interviewing then apply here. Although the job may change or not exist by the time your done wasting all of your valuable hours. You could have been persuing a company that was seriously looking for talented people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Winchester, Massachusetts

88 months ago

Maggie It sounds like we had practically the same experience!
Although the name of the HR rep was withheld in most parts of your comment, at one point her name was written and it was the same person I dealt with. I went about 2 months ago also. I met with three people prior to meeting with the HR rep and the three interviews went very well (or so I thought) and I definitely felt qualified for the job. Then I met with her and I felt very uncomfortable. She is not a warm person at all and certainly did not make me feel welcome. She told me I should hear back within the next two weeks. After two weeks I sent the hiring manager an email rather than the HR rep because I really had no desire to interact with her again and instead of hearing back from the Hiring Manager, I heard back from the HR rep and she told me that they had hired an internal candidate.

I agree with you 100%...she does not represent Genzyme well at all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Interview Candidate in Boston, Massachusetts

87 months ago

Ron in Bloomfield, New Jersey said: Anyone considering a job at Genzyme think twice and then tink it over once more. The culture at Genzyme is a stuffy one. I had a conversation with one of its HR people and all she talked about was the culture at Genzyme and how they were very, very, very particular about the type of people they bring onboard, so much so it made me wonder how they found enough people to get the work done. Anyway my final opinion was why would anyone want to work in a place where you had to walk on egg shells? Before this experience I had a very low opinion of HR personnel but these people really sunk whatever opinions I had left and left me feeling empty, kind of like the feeling you get an hour after eating chinese food. Sorry you ate it in the first place and hungry for something more substantial.

This company is a damn joke. They give you two to three almost full day interviews then they tell you to send in your application ASAP and when you do that they call you back and say sorry you just weren't quite what we were looking for! WTF is up with that. You put me through 15+ hours of interviews and then you decide I am not what you are looking for. Then you ask them what exactly they were looking for and what was lacking in the interview and they say they aren't at liberty to discuss!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Senior Citizen in Kingwood, Texas

87 months ago

This may not be the case but I can tell you from personal experience that some companies (particularly very large and creative/scientific types) incorporate a certain amount of frustration into the interview process to determine how you handle such a situation. I once interviewed with a company many years ago and in the interview, the manager asked me a question and paused... As soon as I opened my mouth to answer, he interrupted and continued to add onto the question to further clarify what he was asking and paused once more... This went on for about three times and it appeared he was simply not going to allow me to answer. Many years later after having a ton of experience with clients in that field, I learned that what he was doing was testing my assertiveness. He was simply injecting frustration into the mix to see if I was the sort of person who could stand up to a very assertive client, politely interrupt, and take control of the conversation. It sounds like Enzyme was doing much the same thing. They were frustrating your efforts to secure the position and what they wanted was a bit more assertiveness on your part. As example, instead of the person who wrote above that the interviewer walked away after turning her over to another interviewer with no handshake, etc. The assertive thing to do was to make a point of having noticed that and going out of one's way to shake the hand of the person before they walked away. It simply shows you recognized the social slight and did something to insure the person walking away had the opportunity to correct their error. It sounds like you were all expecting the company to make you feel comfortable when what they were looking for was an applicant with the skill of making THEM feel comfortable. It's all rather basic customer relations skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Cambridge, Massachusetts

87 months ago

I can see your point but I do not think that was the issue...at least not in my case. The complete lack of communication and follow up were what frustrated me. And I was certainly assertive. I called the recruiter to check in and she did not return my calls. I think that it is common courtesy to keep the applicant in the loop. Especially if you take hours/days out of your schedule to meet with several people, the least they can do is call you with their decision. I know no one likes to be the bearer of bad news but that is a huge part of a recruiters job!

I recently saw the job I had applied for posted again (on Boston.com and NOT on the Genzyme website) so I emailed the recruiter to find out if it was in fact available again. She told me that she was not handling that position but another recruiter might be. I asked her if she could give me a name of who I should contact and she said I should submit an application and if they thought I was appropriate they would call me. Meanwhile,I DID submit an application a few months ago and this same recruiter told me I was a strong candidate and that if a similar position was to open up in the future, they would be happy to consider me (bull...)
Although it seems like a good copany in other aspects, when it comes to recruiting, I am not impressed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Heather in Cambridge, Massachusetts said: I can see your point but I do not think that was the issue...at least not in my case... The complete lack of communication and follow up were what frustrated me. And I was certainly assertive. QUOTE]

All I can suggest is that whatever the issue is/was with that particular HR person, the management obviously trusts him/her. The fact that your communications were not replied to directly but channeled through HR says that the company approves of the person. Back in the early sixties, one could apply for even the simplest job and get a rejection letter on company letterhead. That does not happen today. Also, competition is a key factor. Always remember that even in the Olympics with people spending their entire life in preparation for it, you can lose with just a miniscule amount of difference. You have an Masters; the hired person may be close to completing a Ph.D. You are ready to move up to a directorship but none is available at your present company; someone else may have been an acting director for the last three years, etc, etc. You may never know, but somehow, the Genzyme HR rep knows why you didn't fit quite as well and they trust his/her judgement. Nobody ever said life is fair, unfortunately. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Sorry about the misquoting above. I just thought of another possibility.. I took a look at the Genzyme website. These guys are into some heavy genetic and oncology research among other things. They may possibly be just fishing for info about their competitors. Who else would be in a position to give clues about others in the field but applicants who have worked there and are strong candidates? Wouldn't be the first time that happened and the brusque HR person may be the expert at discovering the clues whilst rejecting actual hiring. Perhaps you are all correct?? :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Senior Citizen in Kingwood, Texas said: Sorry about the misquoting above. I just thought of another possibility.. I took a look at the Genzyme website. These guys are into some heavy genetic and oncology research among other things. They may possibly be just fishing for info about their competitors. Who else would be in a position to give clues about others in the field but applicants who have worked there and are strong candidates? Wouldn't be the first time that happened and the brusque HR person may be the expert at discovering the clues whilst rejecting actual hiring. Perhaps you are all correct?? :)

They do more than that but that idea hadn't crossed my mine until now. For some of the positions you apply for with Genzyme you must make a presentation which can last all day and yeah your point would work for that. In my case I had resigned from my previous position and the operations director called me not a recruiter until I meet him on the first interview. The director said I had one of the best resumes he had seen for this job and he tried to make me comfortable. There was no interruptions or anything like that. I meet a lot of people got many tours and left thinking I had scored this job. The director called me after he had received my thank you letter which I sent to everyone I meet on the interviews. He said send in my application ASAP and the recruiter will be in touch. I am thinking I didn't get the position because of the salary I was asking for but again this position was a unique one that I haven't seen a salary range from. I was making 49K at my previous job so I put 55K on my Genzyme application. This job would be time consuming and very hands on so I thought that was a good salary seeing as I would have to pay $150 a month for parking etc.

So the recruiter calls me a few days later and says that they are holding off on hiring for this position for the time being yet the director has had this job open for over 6 months

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Senior Citizen in Earleton, Florida

87 months ago

My experience has been that one should not be overly concerned about salary increase. You ask for what you think you are worth and if they don't agree, then you don't want to work there anyway. I was in a situation once where I was considering increasing my rate for a service based sole proprietorship. One of my clients was a very astute, world class businessman. I asked him for his advice regarding the increase in rate and he said it was a good idea. He told me I would loose customers who were interested only in a bargain but those customers who were willing to pay an appropriate rate for excellent work would stay with me and the result would be less work and more money in the process. He was spot on - that is exactly what happened. As it happens, the increase I adopted was the same as what you asked - about +9%. Keep in mind, however, that another here mentions a rather inappropriate discussion by Genzyme on the subject of salary history on first interview. Most businesses don't need to know that right off the bat. Most of the time the idea is to find the person they want and THEN get into the area of salary negotiation. If a company has to ask up front what your salary history is, then they either are not aware of the proper compensation for the work you will do or they are just looking for someone who is desperate. My guess is that people may be leaving Genzyme and they are trying to find out if money is the reason. In any case, Genzyme is increasingly appearing to be just what you all have said - a joke and not very professional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Benjamin in Whippany, New Jersey

87 months ago

These people are low lifes.

They have no problem with stringing you along, wasting your time, having you sit and wait for a call or email that never comes.

I have said it once and I will continue to say it, Job Seekers, look out for yourself, do not set your sights on one company because you will get burned and that is a statistical fact.

No job offer is final until you actually sit down in your office/cubicle and start billing.

As a consultant I cant tell you how many HR pukes I have heard complain at how candidates are unreliable and dont have the patience to wait for them to give them their final decision, I have no problem in shooting back at them asking why should "We"?

This is something that gets me extremely charged and Genzyme ranks, literally and figuratively, at the top of my list of places I would not work.

If you have no respect for yourself and dont mind being treated like garbage then Genzyme is the right place for you, the odds are very very slim that you will actually get any action from them but you will most certainly feel even worse about yourself after they are through with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Ha ha they still have the position listed and once again they can't find somebody to fit their secret style!

I don't get them. I would have liked to work for them because of the pay and how close it was to me but this position and the company are making me scratch my head more and more!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlotte in Weston, Massachusetts

86 months ago

I work for Genzyme for 7 and ½ years and this is my last week with them. Consider yourself lucky if did not get hire by Genzyme, because they no different to their employees. Give my two weeks notice is the best think I done for myself in past 7 years. They hire people who are selfish and cold and very hard to work with. They hire people who are stupid and much ignored and make it hard to do your job because they also usually very lazy. People who have no clue what to do exept college 6 figure salaries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

djon comcha in Boston, Massachusetts

86 months ago

sorry for asking,did you had a good salary? i am asking because my girl frind has a job offer and has 8 years of experience in the lab. what would be reasonable?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

C-Hood in Brockton, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Hey ive worked at Genzyme for close to a year now got a job right out of college with them after having just talked to someone at a job fair. He said wed be in touch wekk later I got called in for my 2 hour round of interviews and got the offer letter a week later getting paid 10k more then i asked for. Ive had absolutely no problems with anyone at work and have got to say off all the jobs ive worked (numerous part time jobs to pay for school!) this is the BEST! Seems like alot of the ppl with complaints are from new jersey is it possibly a bad branch of the company??? Or maybe the branch you applied for bio-e, manufacturing, R&D, etc?? I work in manufacturing and i LOVE it!! Better luck to all of u!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

i'm working in genetic division which is lowest pay in whole company. people start about $30,000 a year which is not much for this state. I only able to pay my bill every month and if I need something I save. My fiance makes about as much as I do so we are ok for now. I started 7 years ago with $9 in hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

thanks for this info, today she received a job offer from gen. with a salary of 57k. for the experience that she has is this not much; and you are right this is probable enough to pay bills. So i think she has to refuse this offer, in spite that this seems a good company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

sorry, i mean 47k

86 months ago

It is a good company for right people. I make under $32,000 and I support two teen age boys. So we are living from pay check to pay check, we can only afford one week vacation a year, even company gives me 5 weeks off. I have BS in computer science, and now the student loans coming up, there is no way I can afford to pay. I try to apply as internal employee for different job hopefully to improve my financial situation and I never got anywhere. I applied must to be 20 different times and nothing. So I realize that it is not going too happened. Do not want to waste my time anymore, 7 years is enough, and add to all Genzyme refuse to pay for my college degree, even they do have tuition reimbursement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Genzyme is odd in Mount Holly, New Jersey

85 months ago

I have seen the SAME IT positions posted over and over in the last 2 years. Either they cannot find the "right" people - or people are coming and going like they would in a fast food restaurant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

past applicant in Somerville, Massachusetts

85 months ago

Interview Candidate in Boston, Massachusetts said: Ha ha they still have the position listed and once again they can't find somebody to fit their secret style!

I don't get them. I would have liked to work for them because of the pay and how close it was to me but this position and the company are making me scratch my head more and more!

WE are all agreeing they are a joke....but at the same time we know they have employees. I'm curious as to how these employees got hired, what did they have on their resume that stood out. I know some people that work there, but i nver asked them how they got in, or the difficulty....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

robert in Clifton, New Jersey

85 months ago

Ron

Who is the HR person in Genzyme?

Frank in Watertown, Massachusetts

85 months ago

Wow! Talk about a bunch of complainers. You are all talking about one of the biggest companies based in the state of Massachusetts. Genzyme provides jobs for thousands of people in this state and is adriving force of the Mass. economy. You are obviously all frustrated becuase you did not get jobs there. I am a headhunter and I can tell you that this company that you call a joke, has over 9000 employees and billions of dollars invested in it's pipeline and in it's staff. If you don't like the company then don't work there, but complaining about it on the internet like a bunch of cry-baby cowards is pathetic. Genzyme probabaly made the right choice in not hiring most of you, and for the rest of you complacent losers quit your jobs at Genzyme now and make room for talented people who care about working, not complaining.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

xjan in Belmont, Massachusetts

85 months ago

Hi Frank,

I think you are wrong. Your comment would be ok 5-10 years ago, but not at present biotech job market. I find this info very useful and am sure that it is good to know for many others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Saddle River, New Jersey

85 months ago

Work for them in the NJ labs. Great company to work for in my opinion. I am completely unsure of how things are in sales and finance however. Often they are night and day situations than working in a lab.

TB in Largo, Florida

85 months ago

Anyone know how much they pay their Customer Service II reps in the Tampa area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Earl in San Antonio, Texas

85 months ago

I read all of these comments and I thought that maybe it would be different in Texas than in the East. Here is my experience:

I have been submitting my resume to genzyme for over a year now and just today I got a phone interview with a HR person and the HR manager. I think the interview was more of a training exercise; nevertheless I was glad for the opportunity. They didn't seem to care too much about my extensive background and all of my technical qualifications, but they seemed rather interested in my current job and why I would want to leave it. I answered all of their questions honestly and it seemed as though the interview when very well. Had it been with any other company I would say that I nailed it and I am their newest employee. However, I can't allow myself to have the usually successful glow of a interview going well, because I have heard so many things about the process of being hired. Looking back on it, a lot of their questions seemed like tricks. For example, "So there is really no need to update that XYZ right?" I answer back rather firmly that an update is the very thing that needs to be done and on a regular basis!!! The fact that I disagreed with them on several points went unnoticed and they just kept asking more questions. The phone call took about 15 minutes and ended with the standard, "Well, we have a few more qualified candidates that we need to interview, but we should get back to you one way or another sometime next week." Ya, well, as much as the company profile sounds appealing I won't hold my breath and I will keep putting out my resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Richard Hed in Charlton, Massachusetts

85 months ago

I notice they have been advertising the SAME postions for almost 1 year? Are they THAT picky or are people leaving?

Chandler in Cambridge, Massachusetts

84 months ago

Maggie in Warwick, Rhode Island said: I had a similar experience with their HR rep[name removed].I was called in for an interview and she was very cold right from the start.She was out of it and unprepared. She didn't even have a copy of my resume with her. Glad I made copies and brought them along! When I asked her if the position was an existing one or brand new she shrugged and said she didn't know.And this is the HR rep!In the last 2 minutes of our interview she wants to know my salary history.I've never been asked that during a first interview.I tried to push it aside to a later discussion but she laughed nastily and said "you'll have to put it on your job application anyway so just tell me." When I stated my requested salary range and quoted Salary.com she again scoffed "that site is bogus," After our interview she took me to the next interviewer and proceeded to have a long conversation with the other woman without even bothering to introduce me first. I just stood there in the background feeling uncomfortable. Then [name removed] left without even offering a handshake. The 3 other interviewers I met with were nice. I really felt like I did a great job in presenting myself and my qualifications. There was a nice rapport with all 3 of them. I was told that I would hear back within the week.After a week went by during which they had each received a nice thank you note from me I still didn't hear a peep.I finally sent a follow up email to Jake and she deigned to reply a full 2 days later stating that she had "just met" with the SVP and they had decided on another candidate. She didn't even bother with addressing me by name in her email or signing off. She was a cold fish from the beginning.I have always been accepted for every job I've interviewed for.I met all of the qualifcations for the position. I felt like I was a strong candidate.But this [name removed] made up her mind about me within the first 5 minutes and I truly feel that she influenced the oth

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Cambridge, Massachusetts

84 months ago

The rep (Indeed you left her name in)...is pretty notorious and generally a good example of the company’s unprofessional culture that is riddled with cronyism. Do not take it personally. She does this to pretty much everyone. Genzyme is very well known for hiring people or past consultants. They just need to prove they've interviewed 3 to 4 people before hiring the person they have in mind. Prior to your interview, they probably contacted a friend, past consultant,etc. but they had to demonstrate they are not practicing cronyism, they brought you in, were pleasant and got what they wanted. A pass to hire their pal. Part of it is the recruiter but another aspect is the culture of how they recruit. Almost everyone I’ve meet at Genzyme-knew someone. If you do not know someone, you are not going to get hired

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

scientist in Boston, Massachusetts

84 months ago

I had two phone interviews for different positions at Genzyme. One hiring manager complained about the company, old school etc. The second I was attacked right out of the gate, no effort just attack. These experiences tell me to RUN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gemini19th81 in Cambridge, Massachusetts

83 months ago

Thats too bad that everyone had a poor experience. When I applied for a researcher position, it was a very smooth operation, granted it took over month from offer to employment. It consisted of 2 phone interviews, one day interview, a follow up phone conversation, then offer. The extensive background/credit check took about 2 weeks. Maybe i just got lucky?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Starglider in Bergen County, New Jersey

82 months ago

I was looking over these postings. More specifics should address location (e.g. NJ versus New England).

Is the culture at Genzyme New Jersey worlds apart from Genzyme New England? Are there specific departments or areas which are more tacky than others?

What's the deal at Genzyme? Let's zoom in on some specifics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Starglider in Bergen County, New Jersey

82 months ago

Also I meant to add what do Genzyme people in New England think of the NJ group, are there any employee opinions on Jersey?

Starglider in Valencia, California

81 months ago

Allie wroblewski in Warwick, Rhode Island

80 months ago

does anybody know what's it like working for Genzyme Genetics in Westborough, MA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

genzyme employee in New York City, New York

77 months ago

I work in Genzyme Genetics in NYC. I have been there for over 3 years and I absolutely love it. They allow me to adjust my schedule so I could go to school (Which they are paying for 100%) the benefits are amazing. The insurance, stocks, vacation and 100% match 401K. I love my co-workers. in a company with so many employees you will have you bad apples however from what I am reading they are screening out all the difficult to work with possible applicants. Instead of bashing one of fortune 500's top best companies to work for (for which i agree) find a job that your complacent with and one that fits you. Big corporate labs are not for everyone. I hope each scorned person on this website finds what works for them. There is nothing worse than hating where you work and working with someone who hates where they are. Better Luck Next Time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

destination unknown in Boston, Massachusetts

77 months ago

Hi there. I had one bad day at work during my last year college internship at genzyme. I was recently invited for an interview last week. I was nothing but honest with interviewing panel and told them that there was a rough day during my internship. I feel well qualified for the job, because i have completed all my clinical training at Mass. General Hospital. I have found i am just not the right fit for hospital laboratory environment.

I would like to know, How long should i wait before expecting a reply (positive or negative) from them. I had sent a thank you email to the HR supporting person and requested to forward it to the interviewing panel. I did not have the email address of my interviewers, but i can definately take a guess at that, because i know their names.

Any tips or advices for Post-Interview strategies ? I have since then , emailed my previous supervisor and asked him if he will be willing to be a positive reference on my application should he be asked. I really meet the clinical qualifications, and really want to have my first job in Biotech Clinical research setting. I have not had any luck with Biogen Idec, since i dont know anyone there.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

77 months ago

I would wait a week after your email and feel free to contact the HR person they are your advocate and ask them if they need any other information that you can provide. I know they do a background check which can take a while and then they need to assess what salary they can offer you. after that long process they will contact you. they will let you know their decision and will not leave you hanging. I kept in touch with my HR person during the interview on a weekly basis and got to know her pretty well. this made for a great transition into the company. If you need any other advice feel free to reply back. Best of luck to a possible future coworker in Massachusetts.
Employee in NY

Tommyc in Newark, New Jersey

77 months ago

Ron in Bloomfield, New Jersey said: Anyone considering a job at Genzyme think twice and then tink it over once more. The culture at Genzyme is a stuffy one. I had a conversation with one of its HR people and all she talked about was the culture at Genzyme and how they were very, very, very particular about the type of people they bring onboard, so much so it made me wonder how they found enough people to get the work done. Anyway my final opinion was why would anyone want to work in a place where you had to walk on egg shells? Before this experience I had a very low opinion of HR personnel but these people really sunk whatever opinions I had left and left me feeling empty, kind of like the feeling you get an hour after eating chinese food. Sorry you ate it in the first place and hungry for something more substantial.

Tom - Bloomfield
Ron I had four interview w/ Genzyme about ten years ago, and I'm glad I did not get a job there seems we should avoid companies like Genzyme. Let them burn in hell !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I am sorry you had a bad experience TEN YEARS AGO. However, I love my work place and if anyone wants an acccurate portrayal of the company from someone who actually works there please feel free to inquire. By the way, we are one of the best and most thriving companies out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Allison 317 in Connecticut

75 months ago

Hi everyone. I've just been offered a position at the Genzyme facility in Cambridge, Ma. Reading some of the older comments on this forum is making me think twice about wanting to accept. Does anyone who works there NOW have an information they could give me? I was under the impression that it was a great company to work for (2007 top 100 companies!) and doing some of my own research with people I know in biotech in the area, all I hear is great things about Genzyme. Can anyone agree or disagree? I'd really appreciate it!

SMC007 in Massachusetts

74 months ago

Allison- I just started at Genzyme in Framingham and I LOVE it. The people are wonderful, and it's a really good company to work for with great benefits. I don't know what you'd be doing exactly, but all I have to say is, so far so good :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

worldtalker4all in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

As I comment on this topic I would like to point out that, "YES" Genzyme is a great place to work. But, it is full of morons in the HR department it seems to be that way throughout the country. I began my interview process the last week of August. I was contact by a lady (whom I assumed was a man do to the fact that she used a dual gender nickname in her email)in HR and asked to interview the next day. I jumped at the offer and need to take off work so I could make the 3pm scheduled start time. She thanked me for being available on such short notice. From this point on everything said to me was lies... From the job description it stated that the interview would be at a location in Philadelphia where I reside. Haven't hearing anything back from my HR rep that morning, I was able to track down someone in a location in Mass. to tell me that I would need to be in Exton at 4pm for the interview. I was able to make the 45min ride out there just in time for my interview. I actually really like the company setting and the people that I was able to talk to. The whole time it seemed as though they were desperate for anyone to help. They keep hyping the postion up to me and after one would leave another would follow. I spoke with five people that day and talk for about two hours... The manager of the position told me that she didnt know a time frame for the job and I would be receiving a call from my HR rep to inform me. A week and a couple days went by and I finally got another call. They wanted me to come back in for a second interview. Great!!! I was actually given a couple of time choices and had to make arrangments to take off again to interview. Needless to say I was jeapordizing my current job for this opportunitty. But, my thought at the time was WOW! I have a chance at a really good position with a really good company. I went on the second interview and meet 3 of 5 people that I had meet. It went well and the next day my HR rep called me to state that they would

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

...offer me the positon. I was thrilled and very pleased. I had to wait for the offer letter, which was sent to the wrong address because of stupid HR. I completed a background check survey so they could begin the process. I stated that I had never been convicted of any crime. Now, four weeks in and placing my current position on the backburner I received a call from my HR rep notifying me that there was a problem with my background check. I didn't understand what she was talking about and before I found out the info had already been given to the hiring manager. It turns out that a citation from a noise violation was on my record. The state of PA and only a few other states have what is called a Summary Offense. I was charged with a Summary Offence Disorderly Conduct. This is in no way a criminal charge and after receiving a copy of the background check I saw that it states "Please note that search results in Pennsylvania may include information from the Magistrate Courts, including summary offenses and/or infractions. These matters are reportable but are generally not considered criminal offenses for employment purposes." I was never contacted to discuss this situation by anyone at the company. I continued to call and try to see what was going on. I was told that my file had gone to legal and they were out for the week. Five weeks in and on the verge of being fired from my current job, I receive the call of all calls. It was left up to the hiring manager, she said. He dosen't want to extend the offer. WELL GO FIGURE RET^RD! You made me out to be a criminal. Can't you read the fine print. Are you that f$c%ing blind? She insisted that it was right and that I had a misdemeanor because the screening company Certiphi Screening had it categorized under that term. I was able to contact the court and get a copy myself. Everyone at the court said the same thing. "NO, this is not a misdemeanor.. The screening company in confusing terms to the 70yr old HR women stated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

...the same in there report. I don't know if its becuause there was an asterisks next to it or what but it clearly states that in PENNSLYVANIA this could not be used in determining employment. Well, now three days after being contacted by the screening company. My manager came to me and said that the would be laying me off. The company recently had layoffs last month and with me being out days and calls coming to the company, they had reason to let me go. I can't even describe the trouble that I am going through do to the stupidity of some geriactic HR rep and My own. If I had only read a portion of the statements made here on this page, I would have told this (you fill in the blank)Thanks...but, NO THANKS!!! NOW I'm jobless and viewed as a criminal to the management that I would have worked for. I am utterly disgusted with this whole process and now only view it as a blessing in disguise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Genzyme is Cronyism at it's finest!!!

pakoda in Toms River, New Jersey

70 months ago

I am a recent graduate and am looking a job hence I had applied for an entry level engineering position at genzyme in mid july this year and after about a month i herd back from them asking me for a phone interview, naturally i jumped at the opportunity given the reputation of the company, the phone interview went well and i was invited for a an on sight interview the next week which also was not bad either. i was told i'll be informed about the status of my interview within the week ..... so naturally i waited for the next 7 days for any sort of reply and when

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.