How to get a job at Goodwill Industries.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Host

Do you work at Goodwill Industries? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

wayne101 in Gastonia, North Carolina

54 months ago

Al in Bonney Lake, Washington said: If you don't have too, DON'T work there! They do not treat their employees well. Management uses the negative punishment approach to encouraging employees. The training is almost non-existent. And, if they have to run on the gray side of the law, oh well its ok because it's for the 'mission'. I have horror story after horror story about them knowingly selling counterfeit items. They have little to no moral compass and simply pressure money what ever the cost (I am referring to upper management).

DO NOT WORK FOR TACOMA GOODWILL! And, be very careful about other locations. My suspicion is that they all practice the same oppressive, negative, heavy-handed management philosophy.

OMG well I applied for a position here in North Carolina it does sound frustrating. What proceedure did you have to go through to get the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

CeeMB in Gastonia, North Carolina

54 months ago

Al in Bonney Lake, Washington said: I wish I could tell you how I really feel about Goodwill lol. While working with there, a job posting was circulated for a position I was mildly interested in. The wage was reported at $12 an hour. My supervisor told me management was interested in interviewing me, but the hourly rate had dropped to $11. I said nothing and prepared for my interview. After "selling myself" for the position I stated I would not even consider the position for less than $15 per hour. Management explained how they would like to pay more but couldn't. I was told how good ‘working for a mission’ was and that satisfaction would compensate me for the low wages. I politely replied that I valued my skills and services which would benefit Goodwill far greater even than $15. I didn’t get the position.

Turns out the department manager decided he could lower the wage from $12 to $11 because there were so many 'desperate' people were applying for the job. I'm all for market driven wages, but greed and cheating people out of a deserved income is flat out wrong! Goodwill is a greed-driven company.

OMGGG well that is exactly what is happening to me. I think they know I will not take that amount. I have been in a position before where I had to run the department myself getting $29thou. I an very disgusted... I am so glad it is people like you who tell the truth so I have made up my mind that I need WAY more than what they are offering. I really think when I left the interview they knew I was not a dummy and not desperate. Although I need a job very badly at this time (unemployment running out, bills to be paid, food on the table) I am glad for the advice you have given me... In fact because the company is so greedy and does not have employees best interest I am looking to another employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ONECECE in Port Townsend, Washington

49 months ago

CeeMB in Gastonia, North Carolina said: OMGGG well that is exactly what is happening to me. I think they know I will not take that amount. I have been in a position before where I had to run the department myself getting $29thou. I an very disgusted... I am so glad it is people like you who tell the truth so I have made up my mind that I need WAY more than what they are offering. I really think when I left the interview they knew I was not a dummy and not desperate. Although I need a job very badly at this time (unemployment running out, bills to be paid, food on the table) I am glad for the advice you have given me... In fact because the company is so greedy and does not have employees best interest I am looking to another employer.

Employers can legally lower your rate of pay as long as it does not go below minimum wage. That excuse they gave you was a cop out and they couldnt think of anything else to say. But if you were hired at 40 hours and you get cut down to anything under 32 then you can complain, since 32 is full time. Check you local laws in your arera

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Worked atGoodwill in Pfafftown, North Carolina

49 months ago

There's a reason Goodwill stores are always advertising openings, week after week.

Goodwill Retail stores, at least the one I worked at in Winston Salem treats their employees like dirt.

Goodwill Stores have a hostile work environment.
I was hired by a very nice person, then on my first day of work, she, the manager, had been fired. The atmosphere was chilly.

There is no welcome for new employees, and the training is a sham.

I've never worked in such an abusive place, seriously, this is the worst of the worst.

Its not the work, its the management - they are horrible.
One of the decent ones told me she used to like her job, but any more, nothing she does is right.

The management are totally unprofessional, and one even yelled, bellowed at a customer in my line.

This is the worst place I ever worked in during my entire life, and sad to say I left a good part time job to work at Goodwill "full time".

Oh, full time turns out to be 37.5 hours, except when the managers tell you to clock out 15 minutes early, but don't allow you to leave the store for 15 minutes while they secure the alarm system.

Horrible, bad bad experience. RUN quick the other way. Any job would be better than this.

It seems like the nicer you are, the nastier they are.

Please don't work there. The EEOC should send people in as moles to find out how GOOD "Goodwill" treats employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

buff in Baltimore, Maryland

48 months ago

I did not get the job because of my age. I am 62 years old.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Wendell, North Carolina

46 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Goodwill Industries? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

You should really check out this forum :looking for any one that has had problems with goodwill ( Sexuall haressment, employee confidetiality, and /or harassment ! Before you consider working for Goodwill. It is not just a few minor incidents with this company. This really is a very terribly company to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Wendell, North Carolina

46 months ago

I just read your comment!! SO TRUE! SO TRUE!!! "the nicer you are, the nastier they are" and "The EEOC should send people in as moles to find out how GOOD "Goodwill" treats employees." WHY DON'T they do this??? EVERYTHING you said here is a fact. And I am so sorry you also had to go through this.
Then, to top THAT all off, the roaches scurrying up the inside of the box as I reached in to take clothes out and the maggots I almost put my hands in...isn't it enough to have to work in this type of situation without having to endure the abuse (verbal, emotional, etc.) However, I could tolerate the maggots and roaches so much more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Dallas, Texas

42 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Goodwill Industries? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

DON'T!!! I had the WORST job experience of my life at their store in Garland, Tx. The manager was a borderline abusive to the customers and had absolutely no control of himself with his employees,always throwing things and slamming doors. Everytime he was on my till I would have a significant amount of money missing from my till and although I wasn't taking it, quess who got fired for it?? Me. And when I contacted HR, I was told that I came off as arrogant, with an attitude. WTF?! All I wanted to know is why I didnt have a timecard for a week and how was my time being recorded since my manager would even acknowledge that I asked him about it. Bottomline, that store makes "Goodwill, Inc" A LOT of money because the manager there screws every customer he can to make an extra dollar (or 10, if he can) so they arent going to do anything about it. He accused me of always calling in, always being late, and always leaving early. I had never done any of those things. I was a good employee. I actually tried to care about my customers, although that I frowned upon. I've been advised to go to the US Department of Labor about everything I experienced there. And I just might. That company needs a HUGE wakeup call and needs to know that it is NOT right what they allow to happen to their employees. But for now, Im on a mission to tell everyone the truth. Oh and dont donate to them either! You'll only be feeding the evil.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Worked at Goodwill in Winston Salem, North Carolina

42 months ago

Just remember that Goodwill gets funding from govt for number of people they hire, not the number of people they keep.

Goodwill likes to hire but the more they fire the more they can hire and increase $ from govt.

If you want to have "fired" on your resume, then by all means take a chance and go to work for Goodwill, for a short while.

Google Goodwill Sux or Goodwill Sucks and you'll find more reports of abuse to employees around the country.

Don't work for Goodwill. It is degrading.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Worked at Goodwill in Winston Salem, North Carolina

42 months ago

They get $ for each person they hire, not for keeping them.

This builds incentive for Goodwill to fire as many people as possible so that they can keep hiring more and get more $ from the govt.

Management is hostile, abusive and unprofessional.

They don't have manners and will yell at customers.

I was ashamed when I did work there because the management was so horrible, and it was visible to the public.

Don't work there unless you want to have a blight on your work history or resume.

Don't even think you will have a permanent job or that you can move up, it is not to management's benefit for you to do so.

Go to work anywhere but this hateful place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Al Bert 4 in Seattle, Washington

40 months ago

If you can work somewhere else, do. It's been my experience the Goodwill is NOT a good company to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chris - Brampton in Rouge Valley, Ontario

33 months ago

[QUOTE who="honestly"...Goodwill Managers would much rather pit employees against one another to accomodate bullying of the unfavored employee, and failing to resolve any problems the unfavored employee suffers as a result of managers gossiping to fellow employees regarding the unfavored one. Fellow employees are used as pawns to make life hell for the targeted employee, and are totally clueless to the fact that they are being used by management to bully a co-worker.

Yes - I have seen this technique applied over and over here in Toronto Goodwill by the guy/director who was probably the most criminally minded of all execs I had ever seen. Scary to think such a con artist made it so far.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chris - Brampton in Rouge Valley, Ontario

33 months ago

honestly said: Correction: They don't like to fire employees!!! If an employee is fired, they can collect unemployment...Goodwill Managers would much rather pit employees against one another to accomodate bullying of the unfavored employee, and failing to resolve any problems the unfavored employee suffers as a result of managers gossiping to fellow employees regarding the unfavored one. Fellow employees are used as pawns to make life hell for the targeted employee, and are totally clueless to the fact that they are being used by management to bully a co-worker.

Yes - I have seen this technique applied over and over here in Toronto Goodwill by the guy/director who was probably the most criminally minded of all execs I had ever seen. Scary to think such a con artist made it so far.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.