How to get a job at HP.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Host

Do you work at HP? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Curtis Craft in San Lorenzo, California

95 months ago

I am interested in the feedback here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

TFT in Worcester, Massachusetts

93 months ago

Not sure why you want to compare ANRITSU and HP. For almost 7 years HP has not made any sort of test equipment, making your argument invalid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CSB in Erie, Colorado

90 months ago

I am interested in joining HP also - but nothing I have read here is any help to me...

how about someone giving some insight into the culture and selection process - DOs and DONTs - best path for making contact - and BEST of ALL some names of people inside who can help???

I am experienced in Operations / Quality / Engineering / Supply Chain in data storage with great skills - Director level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Cincinnati, Ohio

89 months ago

You should go to www.hp.com. Find the Jobs selection button at the bottom of the screen. You will see a prompt to select where you would like to work (what country) and then you can search through the job listings and apply on line for any specific job position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Chris Broussalian in Loveland, Colorado

89 months ago

Thanks Tim...

18 days and this is this is best response I can get from HP Blog... sad :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

BC in Menlo Park, California

89 months ago

I submitted my resume for general consideration in spring 2006 and then applied for a specific job in December 2006. It took about a month before I got a call back.

I interviewed over the phone for an hour with one person, then went in the following week and interviewed with 8 people. All wanted to make sure that not only did I have the skills for the job, but that I would be a good cultural fit with the rest of the team.

I am impressed with the quality of schools people attended before working at HP, as well as the number of MBAs my colleagues have. Looks like I'll be going back to school at some point in order to stay competitive ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Walt in Huntington Beach, California

89 months ago

did you ever work for HP?

Walt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Hollister, California

89 months ago

First of all remember that HP is still laying off employees from that "CEO" that left the company is disrepair. Mark Hurd is doing great things to get the company back to its "old" status but things are tight. Also, they just put a hiring freeze on which means until November 1st it is unlikely that many jobs will move forward. This is done just about every year because the fiscal year ends on Oct 31st. Yes, I worked for HP for 21 years until layoff round #13.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Boise, Idaho

88 months ago

Host said: Do you work at HP? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Start out as a contractor for Adecco Technical or Manpower Professional. Half of the employees at HP-Boise are contract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

JT in Katy, Texas

87 months ago

Ginna in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: How do you get a foot in the door with this business? I know the only way they'll accept your resume is online, but I've been applying for a inside sales rep or tech support position for months now and they always turn me down. I know a few people who don't have a degree in any of this stuff.

If you can help me out please respond back on any little tips you have. Thanks!

I am sure HP posts their jobs, when they have an internal candidate, I experienced your same frustation, and made a fake application, with excellent credentials, the really perfect match, one of those replies that the hiring manager wouldve gone, OH MY GOD, and I never got a reply, so it makes me think they are not serious about their postings

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

contractor in Boise, Idaho

86 months ago

Kay James in Aurora, Colorado said: If you did not go to a top 10 business school or a top 30 engineering school, don't bother.

I work with many engineers who went to the local college and are HP employees. It is not a top flight college. One was hired recently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

JT in Katy, Texas said: I am sure HP posts their jobs, when they have an internal candidate, I experienced your same frustation, and made a fake application, with excellent credentials, the really perfect match, one of those replies that the hiring manager wouldve gone, OH MY GOD, and I never got a reply, so it makes me think they are not serious about their postings

Not my experience. I am a contractor trying to get in. I've had some interviews, but the jobs are highly competitive because HP is an awesome company and a lot of people want to work there. I know for a fact that two of the jobs I interviewed for were filled with external, but local, candidates. Our market has a lot of great local candidates, so there is no need for HP to move someone into the area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ralph in Austin, Texas

86 months ago

I believe luck plays an important role too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ralph in Austin, Texas

86 months ago

Unfortunately, these contract jobs are not listed on their website. You can only hear about them from recruiters like Adecco. So, you are at the mercy of staffing agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

A small voice in San Antonio, Texas

86 months ago

Mary in Hollister, California said: First of all remember that HP is still laying off employees from that "CEO" that left the company is disrepair. Mark Hurd is doing great things to get the company back to its "old" status but things are tight. Also, they just put a hiring freeze on which means until November 1st it is unlikely that many jobs will move forward. This is done just about every year because the fiscal year ends on Oct 31st. Yes, I worked for HP for 21 years until layoff round #13.

Are things looking good for Nov 1st?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Some people stay in contract positions for years. I know a couple people that have been contractors for 10 years. Contracting does not always equate to eventually getting a job, however, it does help in some cases. I know several contractors who got good experience and made good contacts and eventually got in because of this. It is still highly competitive and internal candidates are often given preference over outsiders, especially when the insider is at risk of being down-sized out. HP makes a good attempt at keeping its people. I respect that. Contracting at HP is a pretty good gig in itself...depending on what your current options are, it's something to consider. It's not your typical "temp" job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

A small voice in Austin, Texas said: But, for how long do you work as a contractor before you become a fulltime employee?

see reply below...I replied to the wrong comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sam esposito in Toronto

79 months ago

What site did you go to to apply

ryan hi in ATLANTA, Georgia

79 months ago

For the site you can go to jobs.hp.com

I work for HP and as a hiring manager I know we must post all open jobs on this website. To be honest, sometimes we have candidates in mind with the posting but regardless we must post here and it must list for a certain number of days before we can make decisions.

I think one of the greatest assets you can have when applying at HP is an internal reference. There are many ways to interact with HP as a partner, competitor, customer, or supplier and just taking the name you know and asking them to send an email or phone call on your behalf really helps you stand out. However, be prepared to earn that reference. Just because you get my name doesn't mean I will send a recommendation on your behalf. Or if I do you are talking about the difference between a shining recommendation and a take-it-or-leave-it kind of note.

One thing, don't ask for a recommendation until you submit your resume on the website. There is a job code in the job description that should be included. People involved with hiring can use this number to easily track down who posted the job.

Culture is very important and very particular to the hiring team so if you get to an interview don't be shy to understand how they conduct business or what characteristics they value.

Also, most of the time the hiring process is relatively slow. Don't be discouraged if you don't hear anything immediately but do follow up. We owe you the courtesy of keeping you informed on the process. (That's a personal belief not company code but would you want to work for someone who took your time for granted?)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yo in Plano, Texas

78 months ago

^ That was really helpful. Nice to know. It's definitely a tough world out there!

I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about the on-site interviews - what is the format generally, for a non-technical new grad job? How many people will be interviewing me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

compwhiz4u in Detroit, Michigan

78 months ago

If It is a job with HP Dearborn, Mi Don't Do It, a sweat shop, mgr is quite rude, and will swear at you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

foxlangserv in Prague, Czech Republic

70 months ago

Hi,

I do realize that this post is quite old, but I had a question for you about the hiring process at HP. I had a phone interview on Monday, which I thought went pretty well. I was explained the process that if I were successful I would be invited to a face-to-face interview and would be informed within one week. I just wanted to know how closely HP sticks to that one-week call back policy. If I don't hear back within a week should a do a follow-up, or can I assume it's a no go.

Thanks,

A

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AdeleS in Irvine, California

66 months ago

foxlangserv in Prague, Czech Republic said: Hi,

I do realize that this post is quite old, but I had a question for you about the hiring process at HP. I had a phone interview on Monday, which I thought went pretty well. I was explained the process that if I were successful I would be invited to a face-to-face interview and would be informed within one week. I just wanted to know how closely HP sticks to that one-week call back policy. If I don't hear back within a week should a do a follow-up, or can I assume it's a no go.

Thanks,

A

hi foxlangserv, did you get a call back?

foxlangserv in Prague, Czech Republic

64 months ago

AdeleS in Irvine, California said: hi foxlangserv, did you get a call back?

Update. I followed up after two weeks of no communication and was told there were 'problems' with the position I applied for. I was also told that I would be contacted when a decision had been made. Almost 6 months later and nothing :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beau in Atlanta, Georgia

60 months ago

ryan hi in ATLANTA, Georgia said: For the site you can go to jobs.hp.com

I work for HP and as a hiring manager I know we must post all open jobs on this website. To be honest, sometimes we have candidates in mind with the posting but regardless we must post here and it must list for a certain number of days before we can make decisions.

I think one of the greatest assets you can have when applying at HP is an internal reference. There are many ways to interact with HP as a partner, competitor, customer, or supplier and just taking the name you know and asking them to send an email or phone call on your behalf really helps you stand out. However, be prepared to earn that reference. Just because you get my name doesn't mean I will send a recommendation on your behalf. Or if I do you are talking about the difference between a shining recommendation and a take-it-or-leave-it kind of note.

One thing, don't ask for a recommendation until you submit your resume on the website. There is a job code in the job description that should be included. People involved with hiring can use this number to easily track down who posted the job.

Culture is very important and very particular to the hiring team so if you get to an interview don't be shy to understand how they conduct business or what characteristics they value.

Also, most of the time the hiring process is relatively slow. Don't be discouraged if you don't hear anything immediately but do follow up. We owe you the courtesy of keeping you informed on the process. (That's a personal belief not company code but would you want to work for someone who took your time for granted?)

Ryan, Are you still with HP? I had an interview last week with a hiring manager for a position at HP. The interview went very well. I sent a thank you email afterward. I'm wondering how long I should wait before sending a follow-up email to check on my status. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

majid.affandy@gmail.com in Makassar, Indonesia

54 months ago

My colleagues and I was interwiewed by Laureen Lee from HP Singapore, I have no internal reference, and my friend has. Actually my friend make the offering letter from HP be a trigger to raised his salaries in our office. in the case I think HP have be carefull, even it's from internal references, not an absolute guarant

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

D in Detroit in Belleville, Michigan

53 months ago

I have been trying for 2 - 3 years to get an interview with HP. Granted the Detroit area is a career wasteland and every posting garners thousands of applicants. However, I would welcome any advice from a current HP employee in the area, perferably a hiring manager. How do I get past the online submission/rejection process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DHarris117 in Utica, Michigan

50 months ago

I have been speaking with a HR rep off and on the past few months via email and I receieved a phone call yesterday afternoon about a 30 min. interview today. My interview is at 2PM. Wish me luck!! Any tips I may need to know??? Any info is appreciated.

50 months ago

Interiew went good. Stated they are seeking to hire 70 people and they already have 35. Response time for letting me know if I got is only 24-48 hours.

Frankly in Detroit in Belleville, Michigan

50 months ago

DHarris117 in Utica, Michigan said: Interiew went good. Stated they are seeking to hire 70 people and they already have 35. Response time for letting me know if I got is only 24-48 hours.

What position did you apply and interview for?

50 months ago

Tech Rep Support I

50 months ago

I hope you get the position. All I seem to get are those 'thanks for playing' rejection letters. Did they say what the pay range would be?

50 months ago

23,000 a year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

I'm fairly certain you can make more at Comcast.

Jeffrey in Torrance, California

49 months ago

Does anyone know any details about the HP Fraud Investigator positions that were just offered under several different job numbers? They were for people with law enforcement experience investigating Medicare fraud.

I am curious who got hired under these offerings.
Can anyone help?

Nithya in Madras, India

43 months ago

Hi Guys, I'm Nithya. I got placed in HP on January 29th 2011 at Atria Institute of Technology, Banglore. Is there anyone who got placed in HP on the same day...? If so please let me know. So far no mails and not offer letter from HP. If u know any details please inform me the same...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nobody important in United Kingdom

42 months ago

Host said: Do you work at HP? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Know the right people. We talked about beer and pubs during my interview. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KB537 in West Memphis, Arkansas

41 months ago

Did you ever get an email? I was offered a position on Thursday but I haven't recieved an email yet and no way to contact anyone...was that a problem on your start day?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

IMF in Sofia, Bulgaria

41 months ago

Hi All,

I would also like to join HP and I am currently a contractor but I am denied the right to apply freely for HP positions.
I am told that I need an approval for it by the partner company.
Do you thing this is against the law?

nikki77 in pine bluff, Arkansas

41 months ago

i had the phone interview and was called back to attend a group interviewing process which i attended july 12. they informed us that it would take about 2 weeks and if we were NOT selected we would receive an email. on yesterday (2 week mark) i spoke with a friend who wotks there. she only had to go through the phone interview process when she was hired so i know they have changed things up a bit. what bothered me is that she said i would receive an email, not a call IF hired with new hire information. there is no number on the site and she doesn't have one where i could do a follow up. i know what we were told, but am now discouraged by what she said. does anyone know how they will notify you NOW if hired or a human resources number to contact at the conway, ar location? thanks in advance!

nikki77 in pine bluff, Arkansas

41 months ago

KB537 in West Memphis, Arkansas said: Did you ever get an email? I was offered a position on Thursday but I haven't recieved an email yet and no way to contact anyone...was that a problem on your start day?

so u received notification via a phone call and NOT email? how long after your interview was it before they contacted you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Teldori in San Diego, California

39 months ago

IMF in Sofia, Bulgaria said: Hi All,

I would also like to join HP and I am currently a contractor but I am denied the right to apply freely for HP positions.
I am told that I need an approval for it by the partner company.
Do you thing this is against the law?

It is here in the United States. I'm not sure about Bulgaria. Here in the US we have an "Equal Opportunity Law." Basically a person may apply for any job at any time. It's illegal to say someone can't apply for a job without a prior approval.

Lisa in Emmett, Idaho

39 months ago

I work as a contractor in the US. HP hires the contractors all the time. I'm not sure what the arrangement is. I imagine the contracting company lets it happen to keep HP happy and keep their business. But, I don't know.

kelvin in Houston, Texas

4 months ago

I had an interview on Wednesday for an IT Commercial PC IT/Logistics Intern position,interview went well,was told i would get a reply by the end of the week.Never got a call or E-mail By Friday.Wondering how long it takes to get that email or Phone Call.

Ms. K in Reno, Nevada

10 days ago

I interviewed with HP around thanksgiving. I had my second interview 2 weeks later. The manager said she would be making her decision by the next day. It was between myself and one other person. So far its been 3 days and I haven't herd anything back. I called and followed up with the manager and the recruiter. I somehow can't reach either of them. How long should I wait to try to call again, or should I just assume I didn't get the job?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.