background check

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 71)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

unknown in Cullowhee, North Carolina

95 months ago

I am currently seeking a position at HD in LPM. I have a DWI I received in college on my background. What are my chances of receiving a job at HD. Will the DWI ruin my chances of receiving a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

JustinK in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

95 months ago

First off let me say that I do not and have never worked for HD so I do not know their hiring practices first hand. But being in HR and a recruiter myself, you probably have a 50/50 shot. It depends on how long ago the offense was and how far that HD looks back. I'd need more info though.

If you or anyone has questions regarding HR stuff or employment agencies, please stop by our forums (www.tekshak.com) and post your question under the general tab. We're trying to get the site built up for all tech professions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Aaron

95 months ago

I applied at HD after getting a DUI 2 years ago. I'l tell you what the HR said to me. She did not actually tell me, she told my fiancee who works there, because she was too chicken **** to tell me face to face. She said I have to prove to her I can stay sober for 6 months, before she will even interview me. Not hire me, just interview. She also told her that she can not hire me because I am a liability, which I understand, but if I drink and there is an accedent, there could be a problem. Well so far there has been 5 accedents at that store, and it opened in January of this year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

James in New Waterford, Ohio

94 months ago

unknown said: The position I will be applying for will be an in store Loss Prevention Manager. Also, do you know how this would affect my opportunities to climb the corporate ladder to regional loss prevention manager, etc.? Any information is helpful.

Yeah, you're probably out of luck. THD has so many qualified candidates, they don't need to settle for someone with a record. Typically, that's the first box hiring managers look at... if it's checked, they move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Reed

92 months ago

unknown in Cullowhee, North Carolina said: I am currently seeking a position at HD in LPM. I have a DWI I received in college on my background. What are my chances of receiving a job at HD. Will the DWI ruin my chances of receiving a job?

if it was not considered a felony DWI then you should be ok. you background will come up with a caution. then its up to the Reg. HRM to decide. I was a DLPM for HD until this year, let me advise you think long and hard about working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

OC bound in Naples, Florida

92 months ago

I worked at HD for 2 years. It will depend on the location of the store you are applying at. I worked in Florida and it was impossible to keep people. Turnover was ridiculous. It might have had something to do with the poor quality of managers there, most of which had more than one prior on their records. Almost everyone at this store had a drinking/drug problem. However, HD paid so little and treated employees so poorly that they were lucky to attract the drunks & the junkies. We had HD employees transfer to our store from the Northeast and they told a completely different story. According to these new employees, conditions were great at their stores and jobs were hard to come by because of low turnover. Needless to say, they didn't last very long in the Florida HD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

D. Phillips in Pompano Beach, Florida

91 months ago

well I have heard they only go back seven years on a criminal but that LPI's and
LPM's are held at a higher standard than most, even though as old as it is and if you only had one I would take the leap of faith

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Hollywood, Florida

91 months ago

loss prevention managers in home depot arent the same as the ones found in other retail stores, the management at home depot is alot more strict and I believe that when it comes time for promotions loss prevention managers are 2nd in line for promotions right after the location manager and assistant location manager

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stanley in Weston, Massachusetts

90 months ago

k in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: To grow as a DLPM you must know somebody. It is all Political. I worked there for 5 years. When I left the company I was Hired as a Corporate LPM making triple the money.

HOme Depot Hires people at the lowest pay scale possible.

Home Depot's pay scale for LPM is about 25% higher than other retail LPM positions. Plus LPMs receive stock options, bonuses and great salaries. Hard to beat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Baltimore, Maryland

90 months ago

Do you work there? Was this a requirement or an extra at the interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ryan

90 months ago

I just recently got accepted for employment at an HD store. I have a felony drug conviction in my background. I am applying in Chicago. When I was convicted, I was convicted under a different social number. What are my chances that they won't find out about this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JustinK in Plymouth, Michigan

90 months ago

Ryan said: I just recently got accepted for employment at an HD store. I have a felony drug conviction in my background. I am applying in Chicago. When I was convicted, I was convicted under a different social number. What are my chances that they won't find out about this?

Did they already perform the check and you came up clean, or is the offer contingent upon passing a background check/etc. Most large companies use a third party firm for background checks and this is something that they do screen for. If this is after the check has been performed, hope they never find out because if they do it is an immediate termination for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Woofie

89 months ago

Stanley in Weston, Massachusetts said: Home Depot's pay scale for LPM is about 25% higher than other retail LPM positions. Plus LPMs receive stock options, bonuses and great salaries. Hard to beat.

That's a CROCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Woofie

89 months ago

Ryan said: I just recently got accepted for employment at an HD store. I have a felony drug conviction in my background. I am applying in Chicago. When I was convicted, I was convicted under a different social number. What are my chances that they won't find out about this?

SLIM & NONE! Good LUCK! Look somewhere else!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

angel in Forest Hills, New York

88 months ago

i recently got a job offer with AON
I got arrested for a misdemeanor in 2001.But i got papers that it has been reduced to a violation and sealed.
Will this come up in a background check?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

In Santa Ana

88 months ago

unknown in Cullowhee, North Carolina said: I am currently seeking a position at HD in LPM. I have a DWI I received in college on my background. What are my chances of receiving a job at HD. Will the DWI ruin my chances of receiving a job?

You have no chance at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

gaines hawkman in Maricopa, Arizona

73 months ago

to my understanding home depot goes back 7years o your criminal background check

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

niteowl in Minneapolis, Minnesota

69 months ago

I to would like to know the hiring practices of H.D.? I like North Corolina have a felony dwi a little over 2yrs.I emailed my application, I had 2 interviews and the 2nd one they made be an offer. On my aplication I answered the questions truthfully and let them to how i turned things around. Not once in the interview did they ask me about the legal matter. I am waiting to hear from them on both the drug test and the criminal backgroud. I am really nervous I know the drug screen is clean just really worried about the dwi. My question is has anyone been on this link lately and i welcome all input good or bad thanx The Niteowl.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

68 months ago

Unfortunately, they go back 7 years and they categorise applications as green (no issue) yellow (some concern) and red (no way no how). They will normally exhaust all their greens before considering a yellow. yellow could be anything that came up at all...Even minor domestic complaints that did not lead to convictions...So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I heard all this first hand from an HR rep.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

chrissirch9 in Scottsdale, Arizona

61 months ago

Ok, so I got a call back for an interview at Home Depot for a lot attendant job and went to it dressed in nice clothes, was very respectful and friendly, and I responded to those situational questions with pretty good answers in my opinion, so I'm pretty confident I did good on the interview. After the interview, he said he would call me back to sign off on the background check, and drug test but that was 5 days ago, and I still haven't gotten a call back. I called them the other day to find out when he wants me to come in to take care of all that and he said he had a lot of interviews and would call back hopefully the next day, but didn't. So my question is, do they really call you back eventually, or is this like one of those things where they decided they weren't gonna hire you and never call you back?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

ttander32 in Atlanta, Georgia

59 months ago

niteowl in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I to would like to know the hiring practices of H.D.? I like North Corolina have a felony dwi a little over 2yrs.I emailed my application, I had 2 interviews and the 2nd one they made be an offer. On my aplication I answered the questions truthfully and let them to how i turned things around. Not once in the interview did they ask me about the legal matter. I am waiting to hear from them on both the drug test and the criminal backgroud. I am really nervous I know the drug screen is clean just really worried about the dwi. My question is has anyone been on this link lately and i welcome all input good or bad thanx The Niteowl.

Did you get the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

chrissirch9 in Scottsdale, Arizona

59 months ago

ttander32 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Did you get the job?

Well actually they were doing the background check the whole time even though I hadn't signed anything. One day they just called me and said my background check passed, and they want me to come in and get the paper work for a drug test. At that point I was completely relieved because I knew I was clean and would pass the drug test, it was just the background check I was worried about. So anyway, needless to say, I passed the drug test, and they called me about 3 days after I took it and offered me the job. So ya I got the job. As far as your dwi goes, I would think they will take ya, because like you said, it was two years ago, and your were completely honest about it and I know they like that. I think you would have something to worry about if you had lied about the dwi, then they do the background check and find that lied, then there's a problem. I am almost sure that they are just looking for felonies and things like that on your record. For me, they took a long time to do my background check because I move alot, so apparently that is something they look into, all the places you have lived in the last few years. But anyway, I really think the background check is looking for felonies and things along that line. So anyway, good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Don't get your hopes too high, they categorize you as green, yellow, or red. green means clean record, yellow is minor infraction like dui, red is fellon. My store would have to exhaust a hundred green applicants before even considering a yellow. Slim chance unfortunately.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ttander32 in Atlanta, Georgia

58 months ago

Does anyone know how long it takes for Choicepoint to complete the Home Depot background check? I submitted the paperwork last Friday 2/19 and today is Wednesday 2/24. They told me to call if I didn't recieve a confirmation for the orientation by 2/26. Does it normally take 3-4 days to complete the background check?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

I think it comes back in like 2 or 3 days, the ops manager gets the results, so i would check on it. sometimes they get too busy to call everyone right away, you'll get a call like the day before orientation if you let em.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

desert lady in Rancho Cucamonga, California

58 months ago

ttander32 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Does anyone know how long it takes for Choicepoint to complete the Home Depot background check? I submitted the paperwork last Friday 2/19 and today is Wednesday 2/24. They told me to call if I didn't recieve a confirmation for the orientation by 2/26. Does it normally take 3-4 days to complete the background check?

It depends on how much you move around and how many different states you have lived in. I just recently moved here from out of state and my background check took more than a week. The other new hire's background check only took 4 days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Columbus, Ohio

58 months ago

I think many of you have no clue what you are talking about. Right on the application, it says "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?", but it specifically says not to include traffic violations. A felony DUI may be a different story, but a misdemeanor doesn't appear to matter, at least not on the application. If you're applying for a driver position, clearly that's a special situation, and a DUI would probably exclude you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Larry in Columbus, Ohio said: I think many of you have no clue what you are talking about. Right on the application, it says "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?", but it specifically says not to include traffic violations. A felony DUI may be a different story, but a misdemeanor doesn't appear to matter, at least not on the application. If you're applying for a driver position, clearly that's a special situation, and a DUI would probably exclude you.

They don't ask on the application because federal law prohibits asking about misdimeaners unless it's a govt job, however, the bg check will reveal everything from domestic issues to dui and beyond. Like I said, they give you red yellow and green ratings, in my store they only hire green. I got this 1st hand from the ops mgr. Our HR dumpsters are full of yellow and red applications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JRose3405 in New York, New York

57 months ago

Does anyone know HD's criminal background checking policy for employees they send to people's homes (ex: delivery people/people that install products, etc)? Thanks.

Georgia HR Man in Atlanta, Georgia

57 months ago

Does any know if HD criminal background check covers 7, 10 or 20 years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

It's a 7 year bg check and it's the same for all employed by the HD. I've heard that felonies beyond the 7 yrs can sometimes show up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Georgia HR Man in Atlanta, Georgia

57 months ago

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: It's a 7 year bg check and it's the same for all employed by the HD. I've heard that felonies beyond the 7 yrs can sometimes show up.[/Q

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robin in Kyle, Texas

47 months ago

I was made an offer today for a job before bg or drug test was done but will be doing that next week. I have a misdeanor from 2006 for dangerous drugs that I did deferred judification and the file is sealed. Does anyone know if I will pass???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Robin in Kyle, Texas said: I was made an offer today for a job before bg or drug test was done but will be doing that next week. I have a misdeanor from 2006 for dangerous drugs that I did deferred judification and the file is sealed. Does anyone know if I will pass???

I believe a misdemeanor conviction will show up as a yellow flag, our store does not hire yellows or reds, but your store may be different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wizzo in Brooklyn, New York

46 months ago

newcandidate3221 in Riverside, California said: I had my interviews this past Tuesday for the Distribution Center Warehouse Worker.
They went very well. I got my 2nd interview immediately after my first. I think I made a good impression as I stated my intentions to return to college to obtain my Associates after they told me that the shift they're hiring for is from 3-11:30pm. During my 2nd interview, I could see that the Manager I was interviewing with had my printed resume, but it all went well.

No offer yet, but immediately after I was sent to what appeared to be the HR Person's office. There I filled out the forensic drug testing custody control form and was given a map to go to the clinic and get my drug test.
I was so stoked at the progress made at that moment that I forgot to ask the HR person how long I can expect to wait after my drug test results are in.
The HR person said if I went in immediately after, that they would have my results in by Friday, today. Would anyone happen to know how long it took for them to call you?

Now my other question is this: What exactly does the background check consist of? Because my criminal history is squeaky clean. I am just worried about what my last boss may say since I left that job voluntarily. He was not exactly the model CEO, but if he chooses to say something rotten, for leaving despite it being on good terms, can that disqualify me? Who conducts the background check? How thorough do these people get when calling former bosses which I have honestly listed on my online application and resume?

so i seen like u post this note 7 days ago are u still haven been call back?

newcandidate3221 in Fontana, California

46 months ago

wizzo in Brooklyn, New York said: so i seen like u post this note 7 days ago are u still haven been call back?

Yes, I did!
I got the call on Wednesday from HR that I had been selected to attend orientation, and that I would get another call on a later date about the exact time and date of when orientation would be (I am guessing that they notified me and others out of courtesy that we had been selected as soon as they could tell us). No offer or wage declaration...just pretty much a session in which I will need to attend in order to continue with the employment process.

The next day, I got a call back from HR again telling me that my orientation has been scheduled for the following week on Thursday.

I remember when working for UPS, the process was somewhat similar: a group of applicants were stuck in a class and we were lectured by the HR person about what hardships we would face when working for UPS (an effort to weed out those who had second thoughts). After all was said and done, we were then offered the job and a packet of forms to sign and fill out.

Bottom line, It took exactly 1 week and 1 day for them to get back to me after i did my 2 interviews and drug screen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

misomex777 in Indianapolis, Indiana

46 months ago

I interviewed and was offered the job 4 weeks ago. I signed the background check and took my drug test. I have not heard back from HD. I know I passed the drug test and I should be fine on the background check. This position is freight associate and I am wondering why I have not heard back even after calling them twice.

46 months ago

misomex777 in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I interviewed and was offered the job 4 weeks ago. I signed the background check and took my drug test. I have not heard back from HD. I know I passed the drug test and I should be fine on the background check. This position is freight associate and I am wondering why I have not heard back even after calling them twice.

Wow! that is a long time. I don't know why they would take that long. I hope nothing bad came back on your Background Check.

I called them once and left a message after the first week. Then I got a call back the next day. I guess it depends on the HR person.

I actually got a copy of my background check. Everything came back clean. But the format that they use, this is LexisNexis the company they outsource the job to, looks like they can make any small thing you may have done look pretty bad.

It almost looks like a test with questions on it. And if you miss one, its pretty much over.

It is hard to tell if the job you applied for is still posted. Or are you able to tell?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

misomex777 in Valparaiso, Indiana

46 months ago

newcandidate3221 in Fontana, California said: Wow! that is a long time. I don't know why they would take that long. I hope nothing bad came back on your Background Check.

I called them once and left a message after the first week. Then I got a call back the next day. I guess it depends on the HR person.

I actually got a copy of my background check. Everything came back clean. But the format that they use, this is LexisNexis the company they outsource the job to, looks like they can make any small thing you may have done look pretty bad.

It almost looks like a test with questions on it. And if you miss one, its pretty much over.

It is hard to tell if the job you applied for is still posted. Or are you able to tell?

I called them again today and I finally got a response and it was positive. i am going in for orientation this week. This seems very weird. I signed up at intelius.com to check my back ground and it was clean. I am going to ask them if I can see the BG stuff. I recently applied at another company that did BG also and they told me that I had a domestic assault charge in Tennessee! I have never been to Tenn. or have I ever been involved in any kind of assault. I am not sure who they use for the BG checks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

misomex777 in Valparaiso, Indiana said: I called them again today and I finally got a response and it was positive. i am going in for orientation this week. This seems very weird. I signed up at intelius.com to check my back ground and it was clean. I am going to ask them if I can see the BG stuff. I recently applied at another company that did BG also and they told me that I had a domestic assault charge in Tennessee! I have never been to Tenn. or have I ever been involved in any kind of assault. I am not sure who they use for the BG checks

Congratulations! you got the job then. Orientation officially means you got the job!
All you need do is sign the papers they provide in the class they put you in with your new coworkers and you will be in for a treat.
They buy your lunch for you and your coworkers the first day...so you need not bring a lunch that day!

46 months ago

misomex777 in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I interviewed and was offered the job 4 weeks ago. I signed the background check and took my drug test. I have not heard back from HD. I know I passed the drug test and I should be fine on the background check. This position is freight associate and I am wondering why I have not heard back even after calling them twice.

Its have been 7 days for me so I'm guessing i should call the following Monday.

46 months ago

wizzo in Brooklyn, New York said: so i seen like u post this note 7 days ago are u still haven been call back?

Good luck and thank u for the info..so since its 7 days now u think i should call like Monday?

newcandidate in Glendale, California

45 months ago

wizzo in Brooklyn, New York said: Good luck and thank u for the info..so since its 7 days now u think i should call like Monday?

Yes, definitely.
Everyone else who I asked, who was in orientation said they got called back when they called in the day before. So, I it is my belief that you SHOULD get a call after calling them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Travis in Brooklyn, New York

45 months ago

newcandidate in Glendale, California said: Yes, definitely.
Everyone else who I asked, who was in orientation said they got called back when they called in the day before. So, I it is my belief that you SHOULD get a call after calling them.

Ok Thank u i call today and they said to come in Thursday FOR Orientation...that's crazy the fact that people had to call or they probably never call u.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

newcandidate in Glendale, California said: Yes, definitely.

what is the next step after orientation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Travis in Brooklyn, New York said: Ok Thank u i call today and they said to come in Thursday FOR Orientation...that's crazy the fact that people had to call or they probably never call u.

LOL! thats so cool!

I am so happy for you! lol!

Ya! Calling does seem to tilt the odds enough.

3 days of orientation for us in the DC. We came in super early on the last day of it just to get used to the EPJs (electric pallet jacks). We got broken up into 2 groups for this whole week.

If you have experience with the EPJ, you will be golden.

45 months ago

newcandidate in Glendale, California said: LOL! thats so cool!

3 days of orientation for us in the DC. We came in super early on the last day of it just to get used to the EPJs (electric pallet jacks). We got broken up into 2 groups for this whole week.

yeah that's so true lol..

They hire me for lot attendant and plus i do not have experience with EPJ but i have experience for warehouse. I was working for UPS so hopefully something work out and they put me to do warehouse overnight. for now i take what they give me until then.LOL

45 months ago

newcandidate in Glendale, California said: LOL! thats so cool!

After the orientation do they give u a work schedule or u have to wait again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Travis in Brooklyn, New York said: After the orientation do they give u a work schedule or u have to wait again?

Yeah. They made it clear during the interviews which shifts they were hiring for. It may vary wherever you are.

During the orientation they will pretty much work out what training schedule will best suit the group you're in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

alright cool that's good..Thank u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.