Does anyone here work on the Freight Team at Home Depot?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Joel Mitchell in Sandy, Utah

71 months ago

RyanMac517 in Lansing, Michigan said: I just turned 17 a few weeks ago and was thinking about applying at Home Depot for freight team when I turn 18. All the negative comments can leave in advance! I dont CARE about how BAD your experience was.

Does anyone here work on the freight team? How much do you get paid hourly? Do yo work full time or part time? Is the work hard? How is the work enviroment? Last but not least, do you work night shifts all night long? Someone said on here that Home Depot doesnt have night shifts which I think is a lie.

Hi Ryan,
I thought I would answer your question since no one has yet, although I dont work on the freight crew.
I currently work on the front end as a cashier for the home depot. You should most likely expect 10+ dollars an hour for you work starting out there. And yes the work is hard but fun and interesting. You are going to be walkin cement flooring for most of your shift. But your young and seem interested in working which is good. You will learn alot from working at home depot about how respect is treated and given. You have to earn it and work hard. The store is usually under staffed and EVERYONE must do their part to make sure the store runs good as a WHOLE. And yes the Home Depot I work at has a night crew that works atleast a few nights a week weather they go all night im not really sure. All in all Home Depot is a good place to work. Just make sure you go in with a good attitude and willing to learn and have fun. You will learn alot about life.
Oh and I work full time yes. But they usually like to work people part time to save on full time benefits of course

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

71 months ago

RyanMac517 in Lansing, Michigan said: Thank you SOOO much man!

Seriously though, some guy was going around here posting saying that "home depot doesnt have a full time freight team shift" and that they only "work from 8pm to midnight" or something. But seriously, I went to their website and put in my zip code and then selected the store location. It had all the positions listed that you could apply for. On the job description on the Freight Team Associate it says, "as a freight team assosciate, you work overnight stocking shelves and enterting information about the merchandise into the computer". And the application was POSTED on October 4th. I'm guessing that maybe the store here does have overnight shifts.

ok don't believe me It's not like I actually work at the Home depot or anything, go ahead and apply for the night shift job, as long as you can do all your work from the parking lot, you'll be OK!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

70 months ago

thank you for verifying what I said, some people just have to be told by more than one person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

nwentw01 in Eastpointe, Michigan

63 months ago

Allieloopy in Ypsilanti, Michigan said: Home Depot is still hireing people but not telling them until the interview that they will be part time. There is no full time overnight crew anymore, at least in Michigan.

My husband, who worked overnight for 10 years was just cut to 12 hours a week. The whole crew was cut. Their benefits are cancelled as well. The shifts are 8 to midnight or 4am to 8am, 3 days a week. So I would look for another company, this one is cutting jobs and lying to their employees. They promised the crew at least 20 hours a week and after ONE week cut them down to 16 then the next week 12 hours.

This same month they hired several new guys but they are getting even less hours. I don't know what you know about Home Depot but they are lying to their employees right now.
If you have been looking on Indeed for a while now you will see that they ALWAYS are advertising for help. It doesn't mean that there is a full time job available. They just have a such a super high turnover that they like to keep people on the line to fill vacated positions.

This is completely false! My husband works for the Madison Heights Home Depot (one of the most high volume stores in Michigan)and he has been working full time on the night crew for over 5 years now. His hours are from 10 pm to 7am. I recommend that you work at a Home depot. I myself worked there for 2 years as a full time cashier, and they are really good at offering promotional opportunities to those who diserve them. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Chris.

29 months ago

nwentw01 in Eastpointe, Michigan said: This is completely false! My husband works for the Madison Heights Home Depot (one of the most high volume stores in Michigan)and he has been working full time on the night crew for over 5 years now. His hours are from 10 pm to 7am. I recommend that you work at a Home depot. I myself worked there for 2 years as a full time cashier, and they are really good at offering promotional opportunities to those who diserve them. Good Luck!

Its been awhile, but I will post this in case anyone else wants to know about working at Home Depot. Full time employment is sparse. If you are offered full time jump on it. In all likelihood you will be offered part time. If you live with your parents and are in there insurance then you should do ok. This is the case at my store and is even true of most managers. If you are part time you will carry the full load of your insurance, and wont have accesses to the Homer fund, even if you contribute. I wont say managers out and out lie to you, but you will be told things that just are not true. The folks at my store are decent, but management is in over there heads. They just suck. If you are an adult that needs to make a living, and plan on working here part time (most likely) then bring your patents and check book if you get the insurance. And keep looking for a better job while you work here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

yesenia in Porterville, California

28 months ago

i think it is different at different stores...
at my store we do have freight but they are all part time except for the supervisor. sometimes he will call in like one or two guys early to help him out...but they all mainly work 8p-midnight at my store. so technically we don't have over nights. we're a lower volume store though. higher volume stores are probably different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cji30e in Orange, California

26 months ago

It does vary from store to store. If it is a high volume store the freight team will work overnights. We work from 9pm to 530am. Usually there is one person per department but cuts were made, so now sometimes a department has no one to work it, this happens when people are on vacation or call out. if this is the case, whomever finishes first goes to the empty department. It is a stressful department to work, freight that is. Every night for the most part is a full truck and once a week there are two. Once you learn the department you work, it gets easier. You will most likely learn how to operate the forklift, order picker and reach truck. These are used for putting up overstock. Putting stuff up is probably the worst part, everyone is fighting for the equipment, and more people from other departments start coming in as the night goes on. Generally, from my experience the freight team is kind of treated different than everyone else. Much more is expected of you, and you will get blamed for lots of stuff you didn't do. It's very easy for the day people to say, "Oh i didn't do that, was like that when I came in, the night guys must have done it." And of course your not there to defend yourself. If the night manager is not a good one, this is when things get to be a bummer. All in all, good work, it's busy work and goes by fast. But working nights takes a toll and if your a slacker don't even bother. Takes a special breed to make on night crew in a busy store. Have seen at least ten guys that haven't even made it through one night. My advice, stay on the days if you have a choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

masterjader in Los Angeles, California

1 month ago

It's been a really long time but i'll still write it. i work at home depot right now in the freight team. only making 9.50/hr and getting like 30-40 hrs a week, part-time. working from 9pm-5:30am. personally, i don't like it. the work is hard and tiring on the body. and for the pay we get, i don't feel it's worth it at all. They expect you to do so much and don't even send you help. A lot of times i finish my job and they send me over to go help someone else, then they start complaining and rushing me instead of the person who i'm helping. idk if it's because i'm new but it's really annoying. Maybe it's because the store i work at is one of the biggest stores in California but i really dislike it. everyone takes a break and lunch at the same time. Point is, if you really need the money like i do, go ahead and apply, but i'd suggest you look for something better, unless you like this kind of work. i'm really hoping it gets better once i start school, because of the less hours

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

masterjader in Los Angeles, California

1 month ago

masterjader in Los Angeles, California said: It's been a really long time but i'll still write it. i work at home depot right now in the freight team. only making 9.50/hr and getting like 30-40 hrs a week, part-time. working from 9pm-5:30am. personally, i don't like it. the work is hard and tiring on the body. and for the pay we get, i don't feel it's worth it at all. They expect you to do so much and don't even send you help. A lot of times i finish my job and they send me over to go help someone else, then they start complaining and rushing me instead of the person who i'm helping. idk if it's because i'm new but it's really annoying. Maybe it's because the store i work at is one of the biggest stores in California but i really dislike it. everyone takes a break and lunch at the same time. Point is, if you really need the money like i do, go ahead and apply, but i'd suggest you look for something better, unless you like this kind of work. i'm really hoping it gets better once i start school, because of the less hours

forgot to add, i'm 23 and fit too and i can't take the work, if that helps anyone haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.