Consumer thoughts of Home Depot?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

Tom Tom in Hollywood, Florida

87 months ago

What is your impression of Home Depot as a consumer? do you think that its a good company with helpful, motivated, energetic employees or do you have any other opinions on it?

Which company do you like better? Lowes or Home Depot ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DD in Killeen, Texas

86 months ago

I have to wonder if Tom Tom is Tom Taylor.....from Home Depot. Regardless, we all know the climate of HD changed after Nardelli came in. Took away all the things that set HD apart from the others. Corporate called all the shots as to what the stores were to do. Implementing new programs is a daily thing. The people at the store level are over worked and under paid. It is NOT a pleasure going to a home depot anymore. I used to have pride in that store. Lowes is better, brighter, has better trained people (didn't always used to be that way). I remember when you could walk into a HD store...go to electrical and have an expert answer questions. Now no one knows anything. One day I was actually talking to a guy in D-25 (hardware) and he was helping me find something. Another associate came up to him and rudely said "YOU HAVE A CUSTOMER OVER THERE AND YOU NEED TO GO TO THEM"...I guess she did not realize I too...was a CUSTOMER!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Anchorage, Alaska

86 months ago

Tom Tom in Hollywood, Florida said: What is your impression of Home Depot as a consumer? do you think that its a good company with helpful, motivated, energetic employees or do you have any other opinions on it? I work for Home Depot and very proud of it! Thanks to Frank Blake we are bringing back the basics of when I was first hired. Frank WILL bring back the assoicates on the floor, we already feel the atmophere change in our stores. I would like to see the 10% coupon BS go away. Assoicates do not receive 10% off when we shop as customers so why should the general public receive it. Nardelli screwed us on this! We are already the lowest price in town and when we continue to give 10% off because customers are programed to think this way it hurts our stores ability to hire more people. But no the consumer doesn't think that way! So next time you shop at Home Depot and insist on your 10% off coupon, remember, thats one less associate on the floor for customer service!

I like HD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

D.M. in Lake Havasu City, Arizona

86 months ago

You can trace the current downfall of the AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE all the way back to HOME DEPOT. The "CUSTOMER" needs to be knocked down a couple hundred rungs on the food chain. HOME DEPOT has polluted the minds of the CUSTOMER. All they have to do is mention "I SPEND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS HERE EVERY WEEK!!" and home depot (sheepishly in lower case) gives them whatever they want. I can see giving great service to those who really deserve it. The abusers of the system have to be delt a severe blow. Turn off all returns for a month.
Have abusers kicked out in full humiliation so they could learn to be better customers. The BAD CUSTOMER needs to be taught a lesson. GET TOUGH HOME DEPOT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

carolyn in Issaquah, Washington

86 months ago

I had several old friends who worked for Home Depot a few years back so I started to shop there. The atmosphere has changed in recent years and so has the service. I prefer Lowes. Hey out there to Tom.

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia

86 months ago

In my opinion, HD and Lowes are basically the same. Both are warehouses and the people they hire are not sales types and have little skill regarding proper customer relations.

The on-the-floor people are trained to know the various product stock locations in their particular area and customer service is stressed but their main job is all that product overhead on the racks. Most of what they do is put it up there and take it down when the product runs out on the customer accessed level.

In essence, both are self service places. Their theory is that if you are going to do it yourself, you either already know how to do the work or they want to sell you a book on the subject.

Both also have a section in their organization that farms out installs to a contract base and if the in-store people tell you how easy it is to install most of what they sell, then they will lose the commission on that part of the business.

I am guessing on this part, but I would say that the knowledgeable people probably moved to the contract teams.

Here is a secret... Next time an employee at Lowes ignores you, ask to see the back of their badge. There you will find their signature to the effect that they agreed to be customer oriented when they were hired on. Just ask them what that means to them and why they are not living up to that promise.

I have to be fair though and say that any DIY store takes a big chance advising you how to install some equipment due to you should have formal training before attempting some things like electrical panels and natural gas equipment. If you burn your house down or electrocute yourself, it is your own fault but they really don't want to have anyone say their store people told you wrong, etc, etc.

D.M. in Lake Havasu City, Arizona

86 months ago

The corporate honchos have weeded out all but a few knowledgable persons (thanks to Bob Nardelli) so they could hire cheaper laborers to do the grunt work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Olive Oil in Stamford, Connecticut

86 months ago

I can't comment on Lowes since we don't have one around here.

At the local HD where I shop, 80% of the people who work there don't speak or understand English which is no help to someone like me who only speaks English.

I have had to buy some heavy stuff at HD like big bags of potting soil, wood chips and peat moss. No one ever asked me if I needed assistance getting the stuff in the cart or unloading the stuff into my car. Of course, there was never anyone around to ask for help and if there was, they wouldn't understand me anyway.

The store is also a mess. I only shop at HD if I am desperate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Richard Lockmiller 931-967-6047 in Eminence, Kentucky

86 months ago

You Guys are just a bunch of cry babies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jeri in Cleveland, Ohio

86 months ago

DD in Killeen, Texas said: I have to wonder if Tom Tom is Tom Taylor.....from Home Depot. Regardless, we all know the climate of HD changed after Nardelli came in. Took away all the things that set HD apart from the others. Corporate called all the shots as to what the stores were to do. Implementing new programs is a daily thing. The people at the store level are over worked and under paid. It is NOT a pleasure going to a home depot anymore. I used to have pride in that store. Lowes is better, brighter, has better trained people (didn't always used to be that way). I remember when you could walk into a HD store...go to electrical and have an expert answer questions. Now no one knows anything. One day I was actually talking to a guy in D-25 (hardware) and he was helping me find something. Another associate came up to him and rudely said "YOU HAVE A CUSTOMER OVER THERE AND YOU NEED TO GO TO THEM"...I guess she did not realize I too...was a CUSTOMER!

You are absolutely right!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Fort Wayne, Indiana

86 months ago

Tom Tom in Hollywood, Florida said: What is your impression of Home Depot as a consumer? do you think that its a good company with helpful, motivated, energetic employees or do you have any other opinions on it?

When Home Depot first came to Fort Wayne, Indiana, I thought that this was the greatest place in the world to buy from. Every visit I was greeted by no less than 4-5 employees asking if they could help me find anything. After just a few years, their service went bad and no one seems to care anymore. You can never find a sales associate who cares or even knows anything. Something must have happened at the corporate level to cause such a difference in the employees. I no longer shop at HD because Menards and Lowes has learned from HD's mistakes and is making a strong impact in the DIY stores in my area. Good luck HD. You're going to need it. You can't screw your employees forever in the name of high profits. The only thing you care about anymore is how you look to Wall Street. Wise up or get out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lowe's Customer

86 months ago

Every time I walk into a Home Depot I can guarantee you that NONE of their employees will ever acknowledge that you are in the store. You walk around looking for something and a Home Depot employee will walk right past you.

One time I was looking to buy some TREK manufactured boards to build a deck. I asked for help BUT no employee ever came to help me.

I cannot figure out how Home Depot is a leader in the home maintenance industry with this kind of customer service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lowes Contractor Customer in Festus, Missouri

86 months ago

Anyone who wishes to be employed with HD, Be aware of the points policy for disciplinary control.. You get one point for everytime you call in or when you are late after 7 minutes... Once you get 10 points you are fired. I have seen many employees that were very knowledgable and valuable to the company, But were let go for points because they have families. And sometimes emergencies arise and you cant be at work on time or at all. HOME DEPOT is not a Family Oriented company and GOD forbid you buy their health insurance.. Very expensive and doesnt cover anything.. Also If I were to define the atmosphere in home depot from an employee stand point. It feels a lot like High School, If your not part of the crowd that is liked and part of the inner circle. (basically KISS THE ASS of ASMs' and SM.) You are on your way out from the start..
My Business spends about $150,000 a year on materials. It used to come from Home Depot, not anymore. I buy from our Local Lumberyard primarily and everything else is from LOWES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Manolo in Hollywood, Maryland

86 months ago

Tom Tom in Hollywood, Florida said: What is your impression of Home Depot as a consumer? do you think that its a good company with helpful, motivated, energetic employees or do you have any other opinions on it?

Which company is better depends on where you live is my opinion? Home Depot in Orange Park, Florida continues to be a very customer-friendly store. I have lived in Maryland for the past 8 years, and Lowes and Home Depot branches that I have been to in this area have all been very unhelpful to customers: (1) you can't find anyone to help you even during the slow business hours (2) they are manned by incompetent personnel who pretend to give you expert advice and you end up getting misled and buying the wrong items. The whole idea behind these stores is homeowner do-it-yourself with some great support from the store "experts." Yet, most of the workers in our redneck of the woods (Southern Maryland) look at you like you're crazy for asking for information for your project.

David Davis in Fort Worth, Dallas, Texas

86 months ago

Lowes has Home Depot beat 10 to 1 across the board. For starters their stores are clean and everything is in order. Second, they carry a better selection of products and better quality. Third, they actually have people avaiable to help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kerri H. B. in Seattle, Washington

85 months ago

TT - I hope to answer your question with a thoughtful & thorough response. To be clear, I'm an ex-HD employee. I was hired as a cashier while in college & ended up working for HD nearly 9 yrs., moving for them 3x in just 5.5 years. I worked in the stores for 2.5 yrs prior to going into the WC Reg before moving to the NW Reg. I'm proud to have been a part of the company's past success & still see a faint hue of orange when bleeding. That being said, I wouldn't say that Home Depot is a bad company. It's still just as good of a company as any another other warehouse retailer out there. But that makes it a very different company from the culture & business model of which it was built upon. Good was not enough. Great was not enough. And, being the BEST was only enough if you were better than yourself the day before. That attitude was completely surrounded around the happiness, satisfaction & empowerment of the consumer (of course, given the #'s came with that). Employees were helpful, knowledgeable, hardworking, driven, energized and motivated because they were empowered, respected, valued and vested in their future. That was the culture. I was there during the days of B & A telling their employees to "make love to the customer". As ridiculous as it may have sounded, it shines a bright light on how much they cared about their customers which was conveyed through their employees. Inevitably a company will grow & need to change. I nearly fell over when I walked in & saw the Xmas Decs dominating the 1st D28 aisle. You'd think I wouldn't have been surprised after seeing the telephones make their way back in, and seeing the blenders & coffee makers on an endcap. Some changes are necessary & successful. I was a little embarrassed when I read about the future candy, snack & beverage spots at the registers. That is until I was working with a designer on my kitchen remodel, was starving, losing steam & only had a short time until I had to dart off to get my son. Continued...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Some changes are necessary & successful. I was a little embarrassed when I read about the future candy, snack & beverage spots at the registers. That is until I was working with a designer on my kitchen remodel, was starving, losing steam & only had a short time until I had to dart off to get my son. Some changes end up being for the better…But those aren’t the changes that have put you in the position to ask your question. I just don’t see how those who have been around since the booming days of B & A didn’t see this coming when 10+ yr Store Mgrs started leaving for BB, or the p/t ratio increased dramatically, etc. So, I ask without judgment upon its previous leader, what was the motivation for those changes? Was it reported numbers rather than the kind of motivation from B & A that trickled all the way down to a young lot associate & straight to the customer. Nowadays, how could that possibly translate through the part-timer? Some are great! But, by nature, the others, just aren’t vested enough to be motivated to translate that to the customer before them. continued....

85 months ago

I bought a house in West Seattle just months after leaving HD thus becoming a regular consumer. Since then, I have taken it upon myself to help the neglected customer, tracked down an associate for a customer, pulled stock down & even faced it. I’ve had HD’ers point me to an aisle, tell me they “don’t know” rather than “let me find out” & I’ve walked through aisles looking straight at employee after employee hoping to be acknowledged only to be passed by without so much as a breath blown my way. Each time it has saddened me, truly saddened me. It must be that hue of orange still lingering. I don’t remember one day working in the stores &passing by a single customer without saying something along the lines of “Hello.” Not once!!! I remember studying cross department PK books just so I could answer the simple question. So, the answer to your 1st question would be…No, the bulk of employees do not appear to be motivated, thus energetic or helpful. But my last 3 visits have been highly promising. A D27 associate jumped off a cherry-picker just to take me to an aisle. An AM jumped up & filled in for a dept that had no staff at the time & I was greeted with a smile by an employee offering assistance. Phenomenal! As for your 2nd question…for me, Home Depot will always be a better company. But, unfortunately, I don’t believe that would stand true for the consumer unattached to the history of HD. I believe the answer would fluctuate store to store and be too random to measure. But, TT…is that acceptable? It didn’t used to be! Ultimately, I believe that if HD’s leaders are not passionately motivated by their employees & their customers, as were B & A, then being as good as the next Warehouse Retailer is a viable achievement. I’ll be watching with hope. Thank you for asking.

85 months ago

I apologize for the typo's and duplicate sentences...I typed my response on a word doc & copied & pasted and they didn't show up until after I hit reply.

Sandy

85 months ago

Home Depot Corp Office
2455 Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta, GA 30339

Sandy

85 months ago

I have been a customer of Home Depot my entire life. So, upon returning to the USA, there was little doubt where I would go for my house remodeling. What a HUGE mistake!
Never sign a contract with Home Depot!
This contract will NOT end up with a price you are seeing--nor the time period you're being told--nor with any close to customer service when it all falls to pieces and you're sitting at the house over and Over and OVER again for the entire day waiting for an installer to show up who never does--and never calls.
1. When you sign you are agreeing to allows "bait and switch" price increases of ANY amount to do the job you "think" is being bid on. Expect an over $600 increase like I got--or more! (a price now putting this installation above the price of other bids I would've taken had I known this) Or you can--for example--be forced to have hurricane shutters installed that don't cover AN ENTIRE DOULBE SET OF GLASS FRENCH DOORS that they somehow just didn't see????
And, get ready for this, YOU HAVE NO RECOURSE without destroying your credit record! If you really screwed up and put it on a Home Depot credit card forget it! You can bet there's no "dipsuting" the charge--not that there would be anyway after 2 MONTHS!
Unfortunately, tho you CAN throw someone is jail for this "bait and switch" routine in most states, in Florida they can do this IF your sign a 5 PAGE set of papers for hurricane shutter installation without reading ALL the fine print.
2. This contract also allows installers to treat you ANY way they choose -to not show up for multiple appts and leave yousitting for two days without calling. To turn a promised 2 week installation time frame into 2 month installation --STILL without the first thing done.
3. So you'll know, if you get fed up with all of this cancel or try to get rid of this headache you'll lose your 10% deposit--again with no recourse--if not that they'll bill you more than the 10%.

If you think this is harshy

Sandy

85 months ago

If you think this is harsh--or just sour grapes--or just some crazy southern gal talking--call Home Depot's home installation department for Cape Coral Florida and pretend to be Sandra or Waylon Sims. Ask for info on just the hurricane installation job # 3227016 we've had pending for two months--ask how many appointments to do this job have ended in a no show without a call to cancel--ask what the original price to cover all windows was on the contract and what it is now if I actually want the ALL covered. DUH???
Even worse, my guess is if you do it this time next month the results will still be the same--unless I give up and eat my deposit and book elsewhere.

They tell me HD company policy includes~~

<Doing the right thing:
We exercise good judgment by "doing the right thing" instead of just "doing things right." We strive to understand the impact of our decisions, and we accept responsibility for our actions.>>

Those words are just words. Actions speak MUCH louder to customers!

Sandra & Waylon Sims
Cape Coral, Fl.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

You'll only understand, in Franklin, Massachusetts

85 months ago

Sandy said: If you think this is harsh--or just sour grapes--or just some crazy southern gal talking--call Home Depot's home installation department for Cape Coral Florida and pretend to be Sandra or Waylon Sims. Ask for info on just the hurricane installation job # 3227016 we've had pending for two months--ask how many appointments to do this job have ended in a no show without a call to cancel--ask what the original price to cover all windows was on the contract and what it is now if I actually want the ALL covered. DUH???
Even worse, my guess is if you do it this time next month the results will still be the same--unless I give up and eat my deposit and book elsewhere.

They tell me HD company policy includes~~

<Doing the right thing:
We exercise good judgment by "doing the right thing" instead of just "doing things right." We strive to understand the impact of our decisions, and we accept responsibility for our actions.>>

Those words are just words. Actions speak MUCH louder to customers!

Sandra & Waylon Sims
Cape Coral, Fl.

Sandy-First things first,

Call the Store and ask for the District Manager's Phone Number and the Regional Install Managers phone number as well. When you call those numbers you get their assistant. They will take all you info and you will get a call back within hours.
1st)all the sales specialist should have copmpletely reviewed your contract with you. If there were add'l charges that they forgot -fight..that shouldn't happen, and they need to pay for the mistake not you.
2nd)The installers always have to call and meet their dates-if its raining would only be the acceptable reason for a delay-but you should have received a call.
3rd) You can call the corporate office in Atlanta-an express you anger
4th) If you paid on credit and with 10% discount and deferred payments/ 12 month no interest no payments have them extend it for you.

Been There Big time in Plano, Texas

85 months ago

My experience with HD has been hot and cold. A few really nice and dedicated people surrounded by desperate minimum wage folks who really don't know a nail from a hole in a board. I had the worst experience of all with HD Expo during a $130,00 remodel project. I ordered $23,000 of cabinets and the idiots who installed them had no clue what they were doing. Installed one cabinet upside down!!! And they left only a 29" opening for a 30" range. Three quarters of the cabinets were damaged when they were delivered. After the install was done, I had $950 of extra cabinets and material left over. And you have to understand that it was their cabinet designer who produced the material list from her drawing! I can only assume that it was standard practice to overorder materials to drive up the profit line, and hope that the consumer didn't notice. Many other examples too numerous to name. The senior management at at the store refused to come to terms with the mistakes, tried to blame it one me and lied to me with impunity. I finally connected with a customer service bulldog in the corporate office in Atlanta who took up my cause and forced the store management to do what was right. Only a few months later the store closed...what a surprise! I will never, ever, buy anything more complicated from HD than a couple of bags of rocks. The stress was not worth the savings. I have found that Lowes is only marginally better. You save some money, but you have to deal with stupidity in all of the big box discount retailers.

Lee in Humble, Texas

85 months ago

I have only been in a Lowes 3 times. I go to the Tyler home Depot regularly. I would have to say that the employees at the Tyler Home Depot are quite knowledgeable and helpful. What I can see is they are extremely manually overworked and do not have the the manpower to assist all of their customers. I feel more sorry for the workers than the consumers. The workers are often red in the face with sweat dripping into their eyes. I too had to leave the store because of the extreme heat. It had to be 85+ degrees in there the other day. You would think they could get off of some of the money and cool the place down. If you want to get help with a project go there during non-peek hours. Like when they first open or an hour or two before they close. All in all I like Home Depot and feel that the management could ease the stress of both the customer and the employees by hiring more people.

Nameless Former Employee in Absecon, New Jersey

85 months ago

Home Depot initiated a policy in south Jersey to cut costs (surprise, huh). One cost they decided to get rid of was full time employee benefits. How do you get rid of that, you ask? By systematically getting rid of the full timers who aren't in the 'IN' crowd (meaning friends of the ASM's or SM). Also in that savings is the ability of the ASM to just cut hours... HD policy says FT employees cannot be just cut, they have to volunteer to go home early. I saw part timers who had gotten to work a mere hour before they were sent home. And you think this is a good way to keep the employees happy enough to actually serve the customers. No way... ASM's would rather spend their time looking for ways to screw the employees out of hours rather than actually 'help' a customer with a product, regularly passing by customers who were asking for help, telling them that the person working there would be with them shortly. PSSSSSSSTTTTTT, you sent them home an hour ago, or don't you remember. One neat trick they did to cut hours of FT's was this... the schedule would come out and a FT was scheduled to work 1 or 2 hours past closing time. Then, after the store was cleared and swept, the ASM or dept head assigned to close would just say 'Go Home', thereby effectively cutting a FT's hours. Or schedule a FT to get there an hour before the store actually opened on a Sunday and not open the door till 5 minutes before the store actually opened. And god forbid you stayed over your scheduled time, it involved points then. 'You were late today, weren't you?' Nice... very nice. Thank You so much Home Depot, for telling me where to shop now.

Sam in Madison, Wisconsin

85 months ago

I had worked at lumber yards for over 15 years before working for Home Depot, one of the bigger mistakes I made in my life. I have always worked hard, showed up for work etc. They stick me in a position I did not want, would not let me be on the floor waiting on customers which is what I had wanted to do. I knew more than 90% of the people they hired. NOT ONE single employee is left from when I worked there, this was a new store too.
I think a lot of their problem is, like most large corporations is MONEY- the bottom line, as long as the stockholders (and I mean large) are happy, screw the employee.
Its all about making the managers rich too with the no overtime incentives etc. If they would have let me work the hours I wanted and work the floor I would still be there. I do not shop there unless I absolutely have too, and thank goodness there are better as I call them Shopko with lumber (shopko is like awalmart)

Bob in Akron, Ohio

85 months ago

I am a homeowner.. I spend thousands a year between Home Depot and Lowes.. The other day I was working on an outdoor project, and went to Home Depot in Cuyahoga Falls. I was looking for someone to help me, went to the business desk and a young gild looked at me and said "What do you want?" Is that the way they are trained to talk to customers? I guess I will go to Lowes for awhile until I forget about this latest poor customer service experience.

Sam in Madison, Wisconsin

85 months ago

Well I think young people need a little assistance in the How may I help you department. i think one of the biggest things they need to do is to kind of let employees work a set schedule. It is hard to adjust to working 2-11 one day and turn around and work 6am-3 the next day. schedules were never done on time, they were to be done on sunday for 2 weeks out. you would call on sunday to see if you worked monday and they werent done yet. You could never plan any appointments because of scheduling. It is too bad that employees are so scared to lose their jobs that they just dont say enough and try to change things. the nearest Lowes to me is about 80 miles and we have not gone there. we have a small family owned lumber yard that we go to and a couple others to chose from before we even have to go to depot. Home depot is fine if you know EXACTLY what you are looking for, and since 99% of the time I do I dont need to talk to the employees.

herb fellows in Jamaica, New York

84 months ago

The rule at Home depot used to be that when a customer asked where something was, YOU TOOK THE CUSTOMER TO THE ITEM. Now, the standard answer is "I don't know, that's not my department', if you get an answer at all instead of a grunt. Apologies to the good employees who still care, but the majority are bringing down this company.
I had a manager basically give something away to me because he was too lazy to look it up. He actualy gave me the item for half of what I claimed was supposed to be the sales price. I did so honestly, but when I got home I realized it was my mistake. I had a $20 item for $5, and had no intention of going back and telling them. If this is what they hire, they're getting exactly what they deserve!

Janmariej in Modesto, California

79 months ago

My impression of HD is "BAD". They opened a new store in Riverbank, CA in 2006. The store hired all HS kids and a few older people. Mostly HS kids who had never had a job before. They stand around with nothing to do. Act as if you are insulting them if you ask for assistance. They do not know product, customer service stinks.

I opened a account specifically to order a custom front door. They made me pay $50 for an independent contract to come and measure the door. One month later, after numerous calls about the door, they call me to come p/u the door. They can't find it. Then they find it the next day, the handle was cut on the wrong side, the measurements were wrong. I called a Dist mgr. who couldn't accommodate me just saying he was sorry. I closed my account and will never deal with HD again.

I notice environments in public places, especially customer service because I am an HR professional with 18+ years experience. HD needs to take the time to hire quality people, invest in training their staff in courtesty and customer service....to understand customers make the business and the business makes bottom line, and bottom line pays their salaries.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.