i got fired after 20 yrs of service

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Lunch Time in Phoenix, Arizona

80 months ago

Are there any posts on the indeed forums in which senior citizen has not posted?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Senior Citizen in Metter, Georgia

80 months ago

Lunch Time in Phoenix, Arizona said: Are there any posts on the indeed forums in which senior citizen has not posted?

You mean threads? I don't think so, did I miss any that you see? :)

Since you mention it let me ask you a serious question. I have heard this remark several times in one form or another but only here on indeed forums. Tell me please - what is wrong with voicing an opinion on a wide range of topics?

I've been on the planet 64 years. One accumulates a lot of experiences in all that time and forms opinions on a great many topics. I have nearly fifty years experience in the workplace and have owned an ran three different companies. Why shouldn't I have many opinions on the subject of jobs and business in general?

On some internet forums, people are there for years and post as many as five or ten thousand times. It really isn't that unusual. I have posted here less than a thousand times.

I have posted on probably on a dozen different forums other than indeed. This is nothing. Some of the amateur writing forums have single messages that would take twenty of the blocks that indeed allows. Some internet forums have millions of subscribers. Not anonymous subscribers as is allowed here but registered subscribers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

whoever i want to be in Joppa, Maryland

80 months ago

you can change you password anytime and this is that exact reason. if you were standing in line as that customer would you want to wait for his nose to stop bleeding till he came to void something for you? they fired him cuz all the old school peeps made more money than probably the peps who fired him. that is why most of the old school orange bloods are gone. we share passwords everyday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Common Sense and Mature Experienced in Frisco, Texas

76 months ago

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia said: Frankly, if you worked for me, I would have fired you also. Here is why.. without knowing the specific procedures for Home Depot, I DO know proper procedure for business in general.

Think about it. If the person needed your pass code for that particular transaction, then obviously they were not trusted or at the proper experience level to be authorized to make the decision. In a normal course of events, the authorized person is called over to use their pass code to correct a problem on a case by case basis. Even though that one transaction may have been quite legitimate, what you did was to circumvent the procedures and make an independent decision to give that individual the ability to now judge for him/herself.

After telling you the situation, the person might very well have used the code to authorize any number of additional transactions thereafter. Perhaps that is indeed what happened and when it was discovered you were apparently working (on paper at least) without even being on the premises (you were on vacation), they knew something was wrong.

In essence, you opened the door up to that person even being able to give the code to other people, when he/she was not authorized to handle that responsibility just as YOU weren't authorized to share the code either.

If such were not the case, then there would be no need for the key and everybody could make their own decisions. The basic idea of such a code is precisely where no individual is allowed to make such decisions alone and it requires at least one other person to judge. Even a novice cashier and the average consumer can figure this out in just day to day shopping and observing.

You totally mismanaged the situation.

Firing is harsh. Most would have given the employee or manager a WARNING. In fact, even the unemployment commission of Texas requires 3 Warnings before a dismissal is considered a firing of just cause.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Common Sense and Mature Experienced in Frisco, Texas

76 months ago

Senior Citizen in Metter, Georgia said: You mean threads? I don't think so, did I miss any that you see? :)

Since you mention it let me ask you a serious question. I have heard this remark several times in one form or another but only here on indeed forums. Tell me please - what is wrong with voicing an opinion on a wide range of topics?

I've been on the planet 64 years. One accumulates a lot of experiences in all that time and forms opinions on a great many topics. I have nearly fifty years experience in the workplace and have owned an ran three different companies. Why shouldn't I have many opinions on the subject of jobs and business in general?

On some internet forums, people are there for years and post as many as five or ten thousand times. It really isn't that unusual. I have posted here less than a thousand times.

I have posted on probably on a dozen different forums other than indeed. This is nothing. Some of the amateur writing forums have single messages that would take twenty of the blocks that indeed allows. Some internet forums have millions of subscribers. Not anonymous subscribers as is allowed here but registered subscribers.

I've seen your post. Sometimes I agree with you and sometimes not. Actually, I'd much rather have all of the people with seasoned experience on the threads than people with no experience and/or under 33!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

45+, 50+ AARP Best Companies in Frisco, Texas

76 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former Kitchen Designer in Dallas, Georgia

75 months ago

I worked for HD for 7 1/2 years as a kitchen designer and was fired for doing working on the side. Because I am also a cabinetmaker by trade I made the mistake of installing a kitchen for a customer at their request after she rejected the company's offer to do it. I felt it would save the sale of $42,000 for the company for the cabinets and knew I was the most knowledgable person to do the install. My pricing was very reasonable compared to HD and felt I could do it mcuh better with more attention to details. I also felt it was important to take care of my customer. Well, I finished the install and it was beautiful. The customer was very happy with my work and loved the kitchen. She said it even belonged in a magazine. However, after I finished it, she went into the store and told management I installed it just so she would not have to pay me. Well, management began to introgate me as if I had commited a crime (possibly theft since I "stole" business from them). I gave them the chance to get her business and she rejected them, not my fault their prices are too high. Well, long story short. HD still got the $42,000 sale she got a free kitchen install (and design) from me and I was fired after 7 1/2 years. I was the top sales generator in the store. I was fired on my birthday to boot just before Thanksgiving and Christmas (was a very poor Christmas that year). I did walk away with a lot of experience, a CKD and CBD Certification, one of the few who had both in the whole company. I agree HD has been doing everything they can to get rid of the experienced people to cut labor cost. They feel they do not need experienced associates to sell to the public, only give the image that they do using kids and old folks who work for cheap. It is too bad people have to be so damn cruel and cut throat. I felt screwed all the way around. Betrayed by a company that I dedicated so much effort in creating sales and great realtionships with people who like working on their homes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Former Kitchen Designer in Dallas, Georgia

75 months ago

Because I had been there for 7 1/2 years, the decision to fire me had to be made at district manager level. I was interrogated by loss prevention as if I stole something form them, I seemed to be a big threat to the 2nd largest retailer on the planet when it came to their sales. Well, after having been gone for over a year, that store has not sold a single kitchen project. It seems kitchens are not needed anymore in the area. I found a supplier for cabinets and now do kitchens on my own and keep all of the money for myself for the cabinets and the install. I love it because I can provide customer service I was not allowed to at HD and people appreciate it. The best revenge is success!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

lisey jensen in Schenectady, New York

74 months ago

Former Kitchen designer, can I ask you your age ? ARE YOU SURE IT WAS NOT AN AGE DISCRIMINTATION IN DESGUISE ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

quebola1 in Miami, Florida

50 months ago

i got after 22 years of service ,i feel the home depot is trying to get rid off tenure associate in the pass year home depot fired more than 10 assistance store managers, 1 district manager and three store managers in my district,in they keep firing associates ,i worked in home depot from 7/1987 thru 2/10/2010.for a markdown to an associate ,they said the i was allowed $500 dollar and i got fired for $70.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

i mean the i got fired in previous comment,im looking for associates like to sue home depot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

home depot always said the unions are no good, or they are evil, but home depot associate needs an union i know i was a manager i know what goes behind closed doors

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

if any union rep is this blog i will like to help you organization to get in .home depot associates need you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Long ustomer in Berkeley, California

16 months ago

I been long time customer of HD, I own and manage some properties and I always remodeling something and always need someting but now I am on some black list because I returned an $6 item without receipt.

I can only say whoever is doing this Customer Service Evaluation is doing disservice to Customer Base and to Bottom Line Cash Flow of Home Depot.

I am a share holder of Home Depot stock and this doesnt make a sens to bottom line business, I will have to shop in LOWES and I will have to sell Home Depot stocks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Long ustomer in Berkeley, California said: I been long time customer of HD, I own and manage some properties and I always remodeling something and always need someting but now I am on some black list because I returned an $6 item without receipt.

I can only say whoever is doing this Customer Service Evaluation is doing disservice to Customer Base and to Bottom Line Cash Flow of Home Depot.

I am a share holder of Home Depot stock and this doesnt make a sens to bottom line business, I will have to shop in LOWES and I will have to sell Home Depot stocks

Lowe's is a better company, Home Depot only care for Home Depot they fired a lot of manager and tenure associate in miami in 2010, 2011 and 2012, Lowe's give us the opportunity to take care our family again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

blkmetal in newark, California said: after 20 yrs of service, home depot fired me. they fired me for giving my pass code to a line manager who was working the returns desk. at that time i only had 3 cashiers at nite. 2 on a register and one on self check-out. and the line manager on returns. he had a suspend and he can not autherize his own. so ii gave him mine over the phone beacause at the time i had a bloody nose.. this was last year in october. i was the only manager on duty. no dmod or dsod were there to help me. anyway the line manager didnt get fired until i was on vacation in may of this year. when i came back from vacation i was told i was under investigation. well two weeks went by and my store manager stopped talking to me and my district manager would not comment on the situation. she said it was out of her hands. so it was up to store support in atlanta. well you all know what happened. they fired me. i was just a number to them, like everyone else is. no one is your friend there. trust no one. stay away from store managers who love favoritism. and he loves brown nosers.

I was fired too after 20 years of service for Home Depot . I hope someone is listening in the government

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lindseysimmons02 in Austin, Texas

12 months ago

Excuse me. Maybe some of you were fired for pointless reasons so that gives you a reason to "hate" Home Depot, but I work for this company and the Home Depot I work for is a MILLION times better than Lowes. The store manager we have here truly cares about our customers and always tells us to make sure we ALWAYS take care of them and give them what they want, if we don't have it, we make sure to find a place near by who carries the product they're looking for. Our store goes above and beyond to please customers. So before you start talking about how Home Depot doesn't care about customers and isn't a good company, you should probably get your facts straight. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Steph in Oswego, Illinois

4 months ago

lindseysimmons02 in Austin, Texas said: ... I work for this company and the Home Depot I work for is a MILLION times better than Lowes. The store manager we have here truly cares about our customers and always tells us to make sure we ALWAYS take care of them and give them what they want, if we don't have it, we make sure to find a place near by who carries the product they're looking for. Our store goes above and beyond to please customers. So before you start talking about how Home Depot doesn't care about customers and isn't a good company, you should probably get your facts straight. :)

I never get why people just assume that because they are in a store with a good manager that that is how it is for everyone. Even given your 'proof' to the contrary, let me assure you that many stores, while encouraging similar things still act in ways that contradict caring for the customer. Under staffing stores, Hiring unskilled workers and not giving them the opportunity to learn real life applications of the products in their department, and the various very poorly executed management decisions involved all undermine taking care of the customer. How does this happen? Corporate. They don't allow enough hours for a store, and the customers can't get the help they need no matter how hard employees are pushed to make it work. Further more the employees are then themselves being compromised psychological, emotionally, and sometimes physically because of the strain of picking up the slack for poor and disconnected upper management.

I'm glad you have a great store, but that store is great because you got lucky and got decent lower level management, not because this company has put into place practices and policies that uphold the positive culture it professes to maintaining.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Britt Storkson in The Dalles, Oregon

1 month ago

That's nothing. I made a safety device to prevent children from chopping off their fingers with the cable cutters in the electrical department and got fired. This after 9 years of service. When the then-manager approved this safety device an assistant manager (who later forced me out) tried to persuade him not to install this safety device and was visibly upset when he overruled her. Imagine that: This assistant manager was upset that children would not be chopping off their fingers. That's more than sad, that's SICK. You think you have seen everything when it comes to idiot managers and then this happens. If that's the face of corporate America today we're in deep trouble.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

1 month ago

Britt Storkson in The Dalles, Oregon said: That's nothing. I made a safety device to prevent children from chopping off their fingers with the cable cutters in the electrical department and got fired. This after 9 years of service. When the then-manager approved this safety device an assistant manager (who later forced me out) tried to persuade him not to install this safety device and was visibly upset when he overruled her. Imagine that: This assistant manager was upset that children would not be chopping off their fingers. That's more than sad, that's SICK. You think you have seen everything when it comes to idiot managers and then this happens. If that's the face of corporate America today we're in deep trouble.

For some of these managers, it's not about doing what's best for the company, it's about a power struggle and making sure they can be on top.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JohnDoe1980 in Home Depot Sucks, Georgia

1 month ago

quebola1 in Miami, Florida said: Lowe's is a better company, Home Depot only care for Home Depot they fired a lot of manager and tenure associate in miami in 2010, 2011 and 2012, Lowe's give us the opportunity to take care our family again

Lowes isn't any better. They do the same what Home Depot does. Nothing original on their part also just like with Burger King and McDonald's. The closing a few years ago of like 15 Home Depot stores in 10 states when the recession was at its worst in 2008, Lowes follows suit and does the same. Lowes like Home Depot isn't a leader like they claim out to be, just follows suit on what the other does or else they wouldn't be in competition for your business as a customer in the home improvement industry. We need to organize people we know and have people shop at smaller box and mom and pop stores to steal business from Home Depot and Lowes. The more people they lose, the Lowes and Home Depot suffers. "The Man" needs to be chopped down to size. In this cases are Home Depot and Lowes. We as customers now and no longer associates and associates that left both past and present even on good terms have choices on where to shop as consumers for our home improvement needs. Sadly, smaller stores give you better customer service than Home Depot and Lowes and know way more. Screw around with customers and associates and pay the price. Look at Rickels and others that went under or are still around even before Home Depot just barely making it publicly and privately owned and hanging by a thread because of the recession now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.