What is the exact tardie rule for The Home Depot?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Thejuelkster in Manteca, California

49 months ago

I was workin at the new RDC in Tracy California and I have recently been fired for clocking in 2 minutes late at the begining of my work shift. Our facility opened Nov. 11, 2009 and mostly all the staff is new. Whats gets me is I have a track record for trying to get the right answer from day 1, talking to hr, calling the 800 number and talking to other store managers about this whole 7 minute rule. In our facility, They say we have 7minutes to play with all day +/- 7 min. at the time clock, but cant clock in 1 min late at the begining of first shift. Other stores say its wrong even a manager at the old warehouse. In reality, If I was 2min. late at clocking in, shouldn't I still have +/-5 more minutes. The people at the 800 number rambled about something other than the questions I had asked. Can some one help on getting the right SOP?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kermitthefrog in brunswick, Ohio

49 months ago

Thejuelkster in Manteca, California said: I was workin at the new RDC in Tracy California and I have recently been fired for clocking in 2 minutes late at the begining of my work shift. Our facility opened Nov. 11, 2009 and mostly all the staff is new. Whats gets me is I have a track record for trying to get the right answer from day 1, talking to hr, calling the 800 number and talking to other store managers about this whole 7 minute rule. In our facility, They say we have 7minutes to play with all day +/- 7 min. at the time clock, but cant clock in 1 min late at the begining of first shift. Other stores say its wrong even a manager at the old warehouse. In reality, If I was 2min. late at clocking in, shouldn't I still have +/-5 more minutes. The people at the 800 number rambled about something other than the questions I had asked. Can some one help on getting the right SOP?

GOOD LUCK in getting the right answer. now you do realize that if they fired everybody who clocked in late at the beginning of their shift, they would have to fire the entire store? i no longer work at HD, but i know of many associates there that were 15, 30, or 45 minutes late. and more than once a month. and guess what, they are still there! doesnt matter. you were probably one of the few good workers who made too much. they had to get rid of you somehow. are you over 50? are you prettier than the Store Mgr, or more handsome? are you well like by most of your peers? those could be reasons too! again, GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

llama in you only want to know, American Samoa

49 months ago

SOP is +/- 7 mins. Seem that you were making too much money, to good of a worker. They need you replaced. Don't bother calling the 800 number, all that is a set-up. They record the conversation and play it back to the SM. It is B/S. Sorry that you lost your job, but you will find something that is much much better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

xdept91 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

49 months ago

It is plus or minus 7 mins TOTAL. Three mins late clocking in at the start of the shift and four mins late going to lunch or clocking out is seven mins. That's why they say "if you clock in late don't try to make the mins up." It is under OPS discretion to inforce it. They can use your personal time to make those 7 mins up if you have it. What are you classifying as two mins late. Two mins after the seven so infact you were nine mins?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Thanks for the reply, but no, The time to clock in was 5:00am. I clocked in at 5:02am. I was exactly at the 30min mark for lunch. I should still have +/-5 more mins for the day. They terminated me right after last break for being tardie, 2mins in the morning. Since day 1 when we opened, they said we have +/-7mins to play with total for the day, everyday. BUT we cant be 1min late clocking in in the morning. Doesn't make since to me. Im consulting an atterny tomorrow about it. Other store managers told me to do that because things will never get fixed up at corperate. What do you think? Any advice would help. Thanks

kermitthefrog in brunswick, Ohio

49 months ago

Thejuelkster in Manteca, California said: Thanks for the reply, but no, The time to clock in was 5:00am. I clocked in at 5:02am. I was exactly at the 30min mark for lunch. I should still have +/-5 more mins for the day. They terminated me right after last break for being tardie, 2mins in the morning. Since day 1 when we opened, they said we have +/-7mins to play with total for the day, everyday. BUT we cant be 1min late clocking in in the morning. Doesn't make since to me. Im consulting an atterny tomorrow about it. Other store managers told me to do that because things will never get fixed up at corperate. What do you think? Any advice would help. Thanks

if you plan on pursuing with a lawyer, make sure he gets the variance report of everybody else at your store. if others were late clocking in, they too should have been fired, right? and again i ask, why YOU were let go---over 50? making too much? not in the "boys club"? following SOP? i hope your lawyer can help you. go forward and stick it to em!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

xdept91 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

49 months ago

Thejuelkster in Manteca, California said: Thanks for the reply, but no, The time to clock in was 5:00am. I clocked in at 5:02am. I was exactly at the 30min mark for lunch. I should still have +/-5 more mins for the day. They terminated me right after last break for being tardie, 2mins in the morning. Since day 1 when we opened, they said we have +/-7mins to play with total for the day, everyday. BUT we cant be 1min late clocking in in the morning. Doesn't make since to me. Im consulting an atterny tomorrow about it. Other store managers told me to do that because things will never get fixed up at corperate. What do you think? Any advice would help. Thanks

If they told you the one minute rule you can't really say you didn't know it. However, before I left the store I don't remember hearing of a one minute late rule ever. Your OPS may be doing something of their own choosing and leaving associates with a sense of confusion. Diffenetly make sure the lawyer gets the variance report that was turned in and printed THAT WEEK not a new printout one. Also ask bookkeeping to give you a complete audit of your time. This includes clock ins and clock outs as well as any personel time and vacation time you may have used. They can go into archives on the system and pull it back to as far as a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Great, Thank you for your time and advice, if there is any thing else that comes to mind about this situation, please let me know. Thanks again!!!!!!!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.