How to get a job at Home Depot.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 65)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Linda in Cumming, Georgia

92 months ago

I got a job by going in person and asking for the HR manager. If you can talk to this person, rather than filling out an application in the kiosk, you will have a better chance. Benefits are great but be warned- hire in for as much as possible right from the start because raises are pretty much a joke there (like ten cents an hour).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (140) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Skippy in Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia

92 months ago

Linda said: I got a job by going in person and asking for the HR manager. If you can talk to this person, rather than filling out an application in the kiosk, you will have a better chance. Benefits are great but be warned- hire in for as much as possible right from the start because raises are pretty much a joke there (like ten cents an hour).
I tried the same approach but could not get by the person at the (Customer Service) counter. Maybe it depends on the specific store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Elle in Buffalo, New York

92 months ago

I started working for The Home Depot back in 2001. My sister worked there and referred me to the hiring manager. You will have to use the kiosk to apply, and make sure you request specific store locations. After you take, and pass their pre-interview screening they will call you for a face to face interview. It always helps to have an employee referral. I was hired at $8/hr, and when I quit in 2005 I was earning $14.50. Raises are definitely not unheard of, but they are only issued when truly warranted. The Home Depot is a great company to work for, and to this day holds a place as part of my family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (113) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Janet Schneider in East Brunswick, New Jersey

92 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Home Depot? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
Any advice for someone trying to get in?[/QUOT

After you fill out the application, call to make sure they received it and ask to set up a time and date for an interview. Just keep calling and asking for the store manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

jarvis i smith in Chicago, Illinois

92 months ago

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE ADDRESS I CAN GO ON TO APPLY FOR A JOB ON LINE ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (124) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

Ed in Cedar Creek, Texas

92 months ago

Linda said: I got a job by going in person and asking for the HR manager. If you can talk to this person, rather than filling out an application in the kiosk, you will have a better chance. Benefits are great but be warned- hire in for as much as possible right from the start because raises are pretty much a joke there (like ten cents an hour).

And the CEO of Home Depot just left the corporation with a 206 million dollar departure benefit in his pockets?
And they asked HIM TO LEAVE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

No name in Prairieville, Louisiana

92 months ago

jarvis i smith said: I WOULD LIKE TO FIND A JOB AT HOMEDEPOT WILL YOU PLEASE CONSIDER ME I'M A SIXTEEN YEAROD INTELLGENT YOUNG MAN HO CAUGHT ON QIUCK.
You have to be at least 18 to work at HD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

patti ski in Gresham, Oregon

92 months ago

How far back do they go on their backgroud check?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

skippy Oregon in Saint Paul, Oregon

92 months ago

patti ski said: How far back do they go on their backgroud check?
Patti, I think its 5 years but if its only a minor violation, you should be ok. If its for robbing a bank,or anything to do with making off with someone elses money, forget it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

John

92 months ago

I agree with most if not all comments on Home Depot
Are their ad ligitimate? hard to believe they are, they never reply.
As for wages, I spoke to a HD gal today in a store and she told me she will soon not be working their, the turn over is unbelievable and HD does not care at all about their employees
I do not know I have never worked at HD and never will consider it after reading all the comments.
The least they can do is have an automated e-mail return, and tell they they received the application and are in the process of reviewing canidates
That is what a professsional company does
As for me, no longer will shop at HD
A independent lumber dealer or Lowes only

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

XXXX in Fairbanks, Alaska

92 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Home Depot? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I applied online. They hired me in my first interview and I'm sorry I ever took the job. Hr is too busy being everyone's friend and not doing her job. If you weren't part of her little clique you didnt belong.
There store was in Alaska.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

rigz in Brownsville, Texas

92 months ago

My frinds uncle got me in. He is an Assistant Manager. But it is hard to get hired at our store. Then our HR Manager never gets up his ***.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Brin in Lawrenceville, Georgia

91 months ago

Do Home Depot check for credit or just criminal background?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Yes sir, they do. They are strict on that. A couple of people got fired for assault or d.w.i. after their court date. It sucks man.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Farlington, Kansas

91 months ago

Yes I work at HomeDepot and love it. My pay is above board and was surprised with what they started me with. It took awhile to get in for the interview but definatly worth it. The benifits are great and the people are fantastic the young people are the problem they want to socialize more then work and are not responsible enough for this job plus they donot have experience in the building trades to help a seasoned contractor but we all have to start some where.This is a hold out your hand and give me what I want now life and it doese not work that way Home Depot needs to do more screening of their future employee's. Persistence is the key.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Rigz in Brownsville, Texas

89 months ago

Not n-e-body is that lucky. Some just have a hard problems all around. Some have great management and great sales. Not all stores do. It depends on everything.
Happy for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Glen Alpine, North Carolina

89 months ago

Rigz said: Not n-e-body is that lucky. Some just have a hard problems all around. Some have great management and great sales. Not all stores do. It depends on everything.
Happy for you.

Glad for you - are you full time or part time ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Im part time but, i make my 38-40 hrs. It a bumer cause i receive only part time benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

thnx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

White in Sacramento, California

89 months ago

Umma Donoin South Windsor, Connecticut said: They won't hire you if you have a DWI on your driving record? Even if your job has nothing to do with driving? Like being a cashier?

They can hire you if you have a dui on your record. However, if you have two or more they will not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

I dought it man. Here in Brownsville,tx they are very strict with that. Here they judge by your backgroung then you.
Tats y alot of people are unemplyed around the 956.

Depends on your management........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Ricky in Hiram, Georgia

89 months ago

I would not recommend HD as a place to work. They do not care about their employees at all. I worked for them for 7 1/2 yrs as a kitchen designer and was fired for doing work on the side on my off days. I am a professional designer(CKD) and cabinet maker and do not feel I have to give up my skills and talent to them exclusively. They are anti-capitalists unless it benefits them. So much for entreprenuerial spirit they profess to their employees. Those who are experienced and talented need not apply. Don't waste your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Valrico, Florida

89 months ago

You have to know someone that works there that will put your resume in the hiring managers hand. Then hope that the manager realy likes whoever you know or your resume will be disregarded. Home Depot is not the best place to work, they still operate on the "Good Old Boy" system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Ladysmith, British Columbia

88 months ago

What did everyone wear to the first interiew? I am still a teen and am not sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Ricky in Hiram, Georgia

88 months ago

I agree. If you are looking at Home Depot to be a stable place to work, don't waste your time or your talents. They don't want or care about your talent, skills, or abilities. They want old folks and kids who work for as little as possible, forget construction experience. They used to care about that, not anymore. Lowes may be better. I don't know. I was fired after 7 1/2 yrs because I was making a lot and had a lot of experience in cabinetry and construction. That is not the trend/direction they want to go. Forget the customer and his needs and esp the associate. I decided to go into designing and installing on my own. I can do it better and for less than HD. They are easy to compete against because they do not know what they are doing anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Willow in Walnut Creek, California

87 months ago

Rigz in Brownsville, Texas said: Go all prep. A nice pair of slaks and a long sleve shirt.
Go like u at a weding or graduation.

YES.
Do not wear jeans, tank tops, shorts.
A nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt. Business Casual is the term I think.
Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vore in Great Neck, New York

86 months ago

Ricky in Hiram, Georgia said: I would not recommend HD as a place to work. They do not care about their employees at all. I worked for them for 7 1/2 yrs as a kitchen designer and was fired for doing work on the side on my off days. I am a professional designer(CKD) and cabinet maker and do not feel I have to give up my skills and talent to them exclusively. They are anti-capitalists unless it benefits them. So much for entreprenuerial spirit they profess to their employees. Those who are experienced and talented need not apply. Don't waste your time.

I agree with you 100%..Home Depot is the last place any experienced designer wants to work. Go there for a year and learn 20-20 if your a newbie, then run (do not walk) out of the store. Home Depot is notorious for underpaid, overworked people who basically screw up anything they work on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

linda in Elyria, Ohio

85 months ago

dont bother! go to lowes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Vore in Syosset, New York

78 months ago

uknow1981 in glendale, Arizona said: worked there for years and going with their core beliefs got me no where..all it did was get me fired for beliving in what hd taught and trained me to do .......so got a good store good then........some of us did not.......

RE-Read my last post (before this one) I was playing on the words you wrote. Home Depot is not for serious designers...go there to learn what not to do (for about a year) then make like a tree and leave....LOL Or is it make like a tree and close the screen doors on the submarine..I always get them confused.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

holly in Bowling Green, Ohio

77 months ago

I went to Home Depot to purchase a clothes dryer. Customer Service was great!She took the time w/me. But what's up with marketing/sales personnel not getting paid commission on the sales of a big ticket item such as appliances? Don't tell me that the associate would try to market the more expensive product. That's sales. I hope all the positions in the big ticket areas are not hourly wages. That could be why turnover is so great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

EDDIEJ in Montebello, California

77 months ago

ABOUT HOME DEPOT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Evansville, Indiana

77 months ago

Hi,
I am interested in applying for a position at Home Depot. I don't have any retail or sales experience. In fact, I have a BS degree in dietetics, and most of my experience has been in healthcare. Are there any other "career changers" out there who could give me some tips on getting my foot in the door?

Also, how does Home Depot feel about hiring older workers? I am 48 years old. However, I am in great shape, and have a very strong work ethic. Are there any other "mature" workers out there that could give me a few tips on getting hired?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

dtraatz in Albert Lea, Minnesota

75 months ago

i have worked at home depot since 7/1/02 and the only way that you will get the job if you do the application on the kiosk is to give the answers that they want. when the old hr was here it took me 6 months to get in but since they don't have too many hr's anymore you have to talk to the manager directly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

No HD 4 me in Canfield, Ohio

74 months ago

Well, I was called for an interview, 3 times. Manager even gave me their cell number, told me to call direct. All looked great, then was told I am overqualified. I tried everything to get past the stereotyping. Seems "now" there is a hiring freeze, or so I was told...probably just a way to get rid of me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Allie in Ypsilanti, Michigan

71 months ago

Don't bother trying to work for Home Depot unless you want to be part time. At least in Michigan and Ohio they are cutting all full time employees down to part time or laying them off. There are NO options for a full time employee any longer. At the end of October there will be few full time positions, some for management and some for vendor services which are at a low rate of pay.
They don't care about the employees that have been there for 10+ years. Experience and loyalty mean nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

fhomedepot in New Brunswick, New Jersey

70 months ago

Store 0906 in Watchung, NJ is a waste. I got hired as a cashier just for the weekends because I have a full time job. I was told I would have to go to orientation, but they only have it every other Saturday which conflicted with my full time job, so I missed that first one. HR had me do my computer training then put me on register once I completed the training. I shadowed for two days then my third day they said I was good and put me on register alone not having a clue about the store. Later on that evening the head cashier put me on self checkout knowing I didn't have a clue about it. She only showed me a couple of buttons I had to push if the customer was having trouble. A week or so later, I was told I had to go to the next orientation or I would be taken off the schedule. Like I said before the Saturday they have it conflicts with my full time job so I was unable to go. I asked if I could go after my first job and I was told I would not be allowed in. I called HR that morning of orientation and I was told I could not go back to the front end without orientation, but was asked to come into work the next day. I went in the next day cleaned out my locker and left. Three days later I got a call from HR saying they found a head cashier to do my orientation this Sunday. I went in yesterday and was told that the dept head of hardware was going to do my orientation instead. My so called orientation was watching two videos and him telling me everything he knew about the store off the top of his head. He also told me I was not supposed to be working the front end and they were not supposed to put me on self checkout during my first few days up there. He said the hiring process in that store is garbage and he's exactly right.I have never worked in such a piece of sh*t backwards store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

fhomedepot in New Brunswick, New Jersey

70 months ago

If orientation was such a problem, all they had to tell me was that I wouldn't be able to work without it and I could have worked something out with my first job. Besides all that, there is no training at the register. They want us to offer their credit card to customers but no one could show me how to do the application at the register. They want us to sell esp's but don't have the esp brochure available at the register to give to the customer once they purchase it. This is the second weekend where I was one of two cashiers closing both of us brand new clueless about the store and the head cashier and front end supervisor were nowhere to be found. My friend has been with another Home Depot for over 7 years and told me that when she started out as a cashier she had two days of orientation and a full week of training before she was even put on the register. Since they obviously aren't willing to train, then they shouldn't be hiring..I"ll be looking elsewhere for a holiday job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Smith777

70 months ago

I have applied to Home Depot 3 times over the past 2 years since my wife and I moved to Myrtle Beach SC. I have a College Degree yet I have NEVER heard a thing back from them.

Does Home Depot NOT hire college graduates??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tah658 in Louisville, Kentucky

69 months ago

Jim Smith777 said: I have applied to Home Depot 3 times over the past 2 years since my wife and I moved to Myrtle Beach SC. I have a College Degree yet I have NEVER heard a thing back from them.

Does Home Depot NOT hire college graduates??

Right now HD is out of season. You have little or no chance until late Febuary when they start the new season. Also there re many hiring freezes at the moment which is likely to carry over to next spring. I suspect the reasons your not getting call are first the above, second you must fill the application out the way they would like to see it( make yourself vailable at anytime for any pay). Third call the store after you fill the app. out and ask for regional HR because I dont think the store have their own anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tah658 in Louisville, Kentucky

69 months ago

tah658 in Louisville, Kentucky said: Right now HD is out of season. You have little or no chance until late Febuary when they start the new season. Also there re many hiring freezes at the moment which is likely to carry over to next spring. I suspect the reasons your not getting call are first the above, second you must fill the application out the way they would like to see it( make yourself vailable at anytime for any pay). Third call the store after you fill the app. out and ask for regional HR because I dont think the store have their own anymore.

Cont. Also remember that HD is like all of Corporate America. Meaning more for less. With your degree you should apply for management or corporate level jobs not store level because they will never pay a nice salary @ the store level. also Human resources is very incompetent so you have to stay on them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Melinda Gates in Seattle, Washington

66 months ago

I suggest you have an industry HR professional or recruiter review your resume to better align with HomeDepot's mandates specifically. These professionals have insider info that can help your resume make it through automatic resume screeners and as well attract the attention of human readers through relevant phrasing techniques. Also, they might be able to help you get your resume through to the actual recruiter of a job rather than into a database where you are simply assigned a number. I recommend you try an inexpensive service called ResumeGuru (www.resumeguru.us) that comes backed by a money-back guarantee against canned responses and poor workmanship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Alberto123 in Boston, Massachusetts

65 months ago

rigz in Brownsville, Texas said: Im part time but, i make my 38-40 hrs. It a bumer cause i receive only part time benefits.

IF AN EMPLOYEE AVERAGES 32 OR HOURS OR MORE FOR A 26 WEEK PERIOD, THAT EMPLOYEE IS AUTOMATICALLY FT REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY WERE HIRED AS PT. IT IS THE LAW IN NERLY ALL STATES. SOME STATES THE LAW IS 30 HOURS A WEEK FOR 12 WEEKS OF FT HOURS CONSECUTIVELY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Rachelle Bounds in Atlanta, Georgia

56 months ago

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had a contact to a hiring manager in the IT department at The Home Depot Corporate Office on Paces Ferry Road? I applied online, but I don't know how often they look at there database. If someone had that information that would be great!!

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rachelle Bounds in Atlanta, Georgia

56 months ago

Linda in Cumming, Georgia said: I got a job by going in person and asking for the HR manager. If you can talk to this person, rather than filling out an application in the kiosk, you will have a better chance. Benefits are great but be warned- hire in for as much as possible right from the start because raises are pretty much a joke there (like ten cents an hour).

Hi Linda,

Do you have a hiring manager contact for the IT department?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bri121790 in Arizona

55 months ago

So some of the comments i can agree on, and some i cant. It may be hard to get a job only because the economy sucks so a lot of the times they are not even hiring. It depends on location of the store as well. I put an application in about a month ago. Called one time. A month later i get a call for an interview. So it really all depends on the store

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EFESTO in Brownsville

55 months ago

I applied like 6 times in the last 2 years because i hear that here at Brownsville is a nice place to work.
No luck so far, not even a call for an interview.
I dont have any retail or cs experience, maybe thats the reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jamessuperstar

55 months ago

Ricky in Hiram, Georgia said: I agree. If you are looking at Home Depot to be a stable place to work, don't waste your time or your talents. They don't want or care about your talent, skills, or abilities. They want old folks and kids who work for as little as possible, forget construction experience. They used to care about that, not anymore. Lowes may be better. I don't know. I was fired after 7 1/2 yrs because I was making a lot and had a lot of experience in cabinetry and construction. That is not the trend/direction they want to go. Forget the customer and his needs and esp the associate. I decided to go into designing and installing on my own. I can do it better and for less than HD. They are easy to compete against because they do not know what they are doing anymore.

I totally agree with you, shame that the big corporate " hot Shots" can't get off their big butts and really see what they are doing to the stores, really sad. Was a great place to work , in the beginning. looking worse everyday

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

excpt in New Jersey

55 months ago

Ricky in Hiram, Georgia said: I agree. If you are looking at Home Depot to be a stable place to work, don't waste your time or your talents. They don't want or care about your talent, skills, or abilities. They want old folks and kids who work for as little as possible, forget construction experience. They used to care about that, not anymore.

jamessuperstar said: I totally agree with you, shame that the big corporate " hot Shots" can't get off their big butts and really see what they are doing to the stores, really sad. Was a great place to work , in the beginning. looking worse everyday.

As a 25 year customer, and former, albeit brief, Sales Associate with HD, I too have noticed a change in the overall 'store experience'. While picking up supplies for my biz, I'm hearing an increasing number of customers comment about 'the service', and find myself helping them choose and/or find products (yeah my biz is slow too....and if the economy doesn't pick up soon, I'll be re-applying at the depot).
The HD store concept is fantastic...its a shame to see the top brass making some poor decisions....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

desert lady in Rancho Cucamonga, California

55 months ago

jamessuperstar said: As a standard pratice, HD can not except a formal resume, try to list as many qualifing jobs on your computer generated applications

I gave my resume to a Home Depot manager and was called within two days for an interview. I have a second interview scheduled for later this week. I have no retail experience at all, but I used my resume to highlight what experience I do have with customer service in another field of business.

Good luck to all who are out there looking for a job right now. Yes, it's a tough market out there, but don't get discouraged. Keep trying and your persistence will pay off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bobby jozlin in Waterbury, Connecticut

55 months ago

I have no previous job experiance except for working on a farm for 2 years which delt with doing the basic farming things, also selling corn. I need money to pay for the rest of college and figured I would attempt to get a job at home depot. Do you need a reseme to get a job at home depot? The face to face interviews make me nervous, what would I wear, what do I say? I have a perfect record, i'm a good lil boy and i follow directions easily and i am a hard worker. I'm 19 years old. If i really don't want to deal with customers, which position should i take at home depot? 1 that has the least customer service would be nice. If somone could answer all these questions i have i'll be very greatful. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.