Home Depot Hiring Temps Only...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

orangeapronslave in central, Oregon

61 months ago

orange-apron-slave, contiued...
I found out that the folks in my department who were hired 1-6 months before me started at $10.50 per hr.. So I've resigned myself to the fact that in the eyes of this corporate culture, I am just an: orange-apron-slave, and H.D. and their management could give a rats behind if I'm paid poverty wages. In addition in less then the last 2 yrs. there has been 54 workers who have quit my department and the guy w/ most tenure has been there about the same amount of time (he filled me in on this turn over rate). I'll be moving on soon too, somewhere that is less callous and will to pay fairly. The H.D. corporate attitude really makes me sick! Oh yea, and at the new hire orientation (or Co. propaganda meeting) the young trainer gal, made sure to emphasize that Co. heads (multi millionaires) do to lower profits would be forgoing any raises or bonuses this year so that they could keep from laying any of us off!?! How special.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bmad924 in Middle River, Maryland

61 months ago

I've been working for HD for about a year. Also hired through a state unemployment office, which means HD got a nice tax break for hiring me. still waiting for my 90 day raise, (not holding my breath). But you are right. Every chance they get they remind everyone how bad the economy is,for everyone not to look for much if any raise, on top of cutting way-way back on help & overloading the people who still work there. They are trying to keep everyone scared to death, all the while (mgr) telling every one at meetings how his house addition is coming along, how, back in the fall he lost 40k when the market dropped. Feel sorry for him? Not one bit. That was right after denying the 90 day raise as promised to me. If there ever was a company that the unions should go after, this one's it. I for one, when I no longer work there will NEVER be a customer. Could go on, but I don't have the time right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Good point bmad924, H.D workers need to get organized & unionize!!

Here's what Bernie Marcus said about the EFCA last Oct (2008):

They "should be shot; should be thrown out of there goddamn jobs," Home Depot founder Bernie Marcus said last month about business leaders who do not oppose the Employee Free Choice Act, according to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal.

According to the article, Marcus referred to CEOs who have not already giving money to anti-worker, right-wing politicians like Minnesota Sen. Norm Coleman (R) and others who oppose the proposed bill that would make it easier for workers to join or organize labor union.

Recent surveys estimate that 57 million American workers would join a labor union if they had the opportunity. Currently, federal laws allow employers to game the system to pressure and threaten workers out of joining.

cheers,

orange-apron-slave

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Personally, I am in between when it comes to unions... I beleive it should be decided on a case by case basis, by employees at each business. I have been in both situations. But from what I'm seeing at work, (at HD), they deperately need a union. I think management is scared to death of that possibilty, thus the hiring of temps. Temps can't & won't be organized.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

ok, now do I say god bless HD for not delivering on THEIR raise they promised me at 90 days, for passing the buck when I try to find out why. for what we expect as a bonus they are touting, we don't expect more than the 50.00 minimum & rumor has it these ASM's are getting 8-10, for letting us know ahead of time no raises for the yearly review. I think I work at an orange AIG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Okay, keep praying to your god that HD treats you like a human some day and not like crap, as usual. Unionize now!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

61 months ago

bmad924 in Middle River, Maryland said: ok, now do I say god bless HD for not delivering on THEIR raise they promised me at 90 days, for passing the buck when I try to find out why. for what we expect as a bonus they are touting, we don't expect more than the 50.00 minimum & rumor has it these ASM's are getting 8-10, for letting us know ahead of time no raises for the yearly review. I think I work at an orange AIG

90 day raises are no longer guaranteed, you have to complete the pk certification for your department within 90 days. it's actually a piece of cake, and if you didn't complete it, it's your fault...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: 90 day raises are no longer guaranteed, you have to complete the pk certification for your department within 90 days. it's actually a piece of cake, and if you didn't complete it, it's your fault...

no, it's not my fault. Yes, they changed it in March, '08, I started in April'08. so, yes I started afterwards, but I started on the nighttime freight team, no PK for that dept., THEY stated that all I had to do was be at work every day & start learning the equipment, both were done, I did my part, is it my fault that they told me something different than what the new policy was??? I held up to my part of the bargain!!! If I knew I would not have gotten a 50 cent raise that fast, in 90 days, I would have asked for a bit more when starting. Besides, THEY offered up the 'deal', I didn't even know what a PK was until late August/early Sept.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

somnolence in Evansville, Indiana

61 months ago

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: Effective Emmediately, all employees hired by the Home Depot will be 90 day temps only, this will save the company possibly millions in benefits alone. This is first hand info from our regional HR. There's also a slim chance, that if you're an extraordinary employee, that you'll get hired on permanent, however, our HR said not to get too attached to any of the new associates, that's a nice way of saying that there's a better chance of hitting the Lottery. Does anyone have any more info on this?
That's O.K. by me. I'm fully aware of HD problems nationwide, but a potential 90 days of work is a potential 90 days of work. I'm certainly not in a financial bind like a lot of folks right now, and I've already told them I'm only available for the freight team from the hours of 6-10 or 6-11 P.M. every day, and that includes weekends. If they're not happy with that, fine, I'll go elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

xeon in Virginia

59 months ago

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: Effective Emmediately, all employees hired by the Home Depot will be 90 day temps only, this will save the company possibly millions in benefits alone. This is first hand info from our regional HR. There's also a slim chance, that if you're an extraordinary employee, that you'll get hired on permanent, however, our HR said not to get too attached to any of the new associates, that's a nice way of saying that there's a better chance of hitting the Lottery. Does anyone have any more info on this?

This does appear to be the case on the other coast as well. I felt a little deceived as I didn't know I was being hired as a temp until after my orientation and I was in my store doing the training vids that I figured it out. At the orientation there was a show of hands who was a temp and only one hand went up... in retrospect I suppose I wasn't the only one who didn't know their status. I now know the people in my store at that orientation were temps as well.

I am on the last week or two of my 90 days and honestly my "real" career has picked up so I'm not dreading getting let go. Temps are getting the boot though, some of whom I know were hoping that they would be hired on. Some even were doing things to make them more valuable to HD, i.e. certifications, lift truck license, etc. It is sad that the employees are expendable like this, to hear all of the rhetoric in the HD videos about how they "care" about their employees, classes... it is the little people on the floor that make the company buzz, etc.

I get it in a business sense, especially when the amount of people looking for work is extremely high. From an employees perspective it stinks though. It will be interesting to see what the do in my case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Homer3 in Ajax, Ontario

51 months ago

xeon in Virginia said: This does appear to be the case on the other coast as well. I felt a little deceived as I didn't know I was being hired as a temp until after my orientation and I was in my store doing the training vids that I figured it out. At the orientation there was a show of hands who was a temp and only one hand went up... in retrospect I suppose I wasn't the only one who didn't know their status. I now know the people in my store at that orientation were temps as well.

I am on the last week or two of my 90 days and honestly my "real" career has picked up so I'm not dreading getting let go. Temps are getting the boot though, some of whom I know were hoping that they would be hired on. Some even were doing things to make them more valuable to HD, i.e. certifications, lift truck license, etc. It is sad that the employees are expendable like this, to hear all of the rhetoric in the HD videos about how they "care" about their employees, classes... it is the little people on the floor that make the company buzz, etc.

I get it in a business sense, especially when the amount of people looking for work is extremely high. From an employees perspective it stinks though. It will be interesting to see what the do in my case.

This is exactly what happens in Canada too. I was hired for 120 days and let go on the 120th day. I earned customer service awards and told I was doing great. On the 120th day they gave me NO reason for ending the job but that I was elligible for rehire. They save a bundle on benefits this way. I never even took out benefits as I had them from another job. Don't waste your time with these jerks, they do not care about their employess. American companies are F.O.S. Stay out of Canada...losers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Salt Lake City, Utah

22 months ago

Homer3 in Ajax, Ontario said: This is exactly what happens in Canada too. I was hired for 120 days and let go on the 120th day. I earned customer service awards and told I was doing great. On the 120th day they gave me NO reason for ending the job but that I was elligible for rehire. They save a bundle on benefits this way. I never even took out benefits as I had them from another job. Don't waste your time with these jerks, they do not care about their employess. American companies are F.O.S. Stay out of Canada...losers.

F.O.S...? Followers Of Satan? Full Of Stool?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.