Terminated from home deopt!`

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

adg1977 in pittsburg, California

77 months ago

About a month ago i was terminated from HD ! After more than four years of service they let me go for 4 tarties! Whats up with that. the are a few people who are more than just 4 tarties and they do not notify anyone about it. Well all I know is that,being mexican, they have NOT heard the last of me:} What does anyone out there think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Gregzilla in Aberdeen, Mississippi

77 months ago

How late were the taties. I was once written up and given a talk for being 15 minutes late. I was late because I had a flat tire while riding to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bosco in Orlando, Florida

77 months ago

California is an "employment at will" state which means you can be let go at any time, without any reason or notice. The fact that you had 4 "tardies" does not help your case. It takes a lot of time and effort to bring a law suit which is what I think you are talking about, right? It may be best to apply for unemployment and move on. Just my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

carmencarmen in San Jose, California

76 months ago

adg1977 in pittsburg, California said: About a month ago i was terminated from HD ! After more than four years of service they let me go for 4 tarties! Whats up with that. the are a few people who are more than just 4 tarties and they do not notify anyone about it. Well all I know is that,being mexican, they have NOT heard the last of me:} What does anyone out there think?

unfortunately this is common practice at home depot... however they have displayed inconsistent practices in how they record time and attendance.. i know for a fact that there are managers that will not log in your tardy annd will result in a ncns... 5 points .... they must address the associates attendance as it occcurs... 3,6,9, term..... that is what they state in their dept. manager meetings... how would you know you had an attendance problem if it is not addresswed in a timely manner as they say to help the asssociate correct the problem.... and didnt your dept supervisor address the time and atttendaance isssue with you on the vaariance report...//???????? shady very shady

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

frankster in AURORA, Colorado

75 months ago

HD's position regarding unexcused tardies and absences and how the policy is enforced is different at each store. In my store for example there are associates still employed who have over 20 points and at least two finals. The record keeping of the point system is alsways at least two to three months behind and yes there are the favorites who have their points erased when they get close to ten. Take your case to EEOC and have proof. They are the best place to start and if you DO have a case that you can prove thay will investigate at no charge to you. Hope this is helpful to you. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

frankster in AURORA, Colorado

75 months ago

Bosco in Orlando, Florida said: California is an "employment at will" state which means you can be let go at any time, without any reason or notice. The fact that you had 4 "tardies" does not help your case. It takes a lot of time and effort to bring a law suit which is what I think you are talking about, right? It may be best to apply for unemployment and move on. Just my opinion.

Whether your state is an "at will" state or not, if the point system isn't being administered equally and fairly there is a case for "wrongful termination" and I can assure you the point system IS NOT being done equally as per policy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bosco in Orlando, Florida

75 months ago

frankster in AURORA, Colorado said: Whether your state is an "at will" state or not, if the point system isn't being administered equally and fairly there is a case for "wrongful termination" and I can assure you the point system IS NOT being done equally as per policy.

If that is the case then definitely pursue some legal action. Just be to document your case as much as possible. It's your word against theirs. Getting some witnesses together to back you up is also advisable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mcmoma in Ormond Beach, Florida

31 months ago

My b friend worked for Home Depot. His hire date was 4/29/2011. He was just recently terminated w/out coaching, counseling, or a final notice. Granted he was P/T he worked form 4am to 8am. He asked for many months for F/T. He just had his review 3 weeks ago. He was apologies to for being overlooked for F/T for so long. Because he went in early and left early he was overlooked for a 6-9 months. He plays music in a band which requires weekends and advised them of this when hired. Playing music on a sat/sunday night till 2am and then having to be a work at 4am. There are 5 dates on his termination notice. Three of them where for dates in which he was sick and in bed. One of the occurances is due to having to go to ER to treat an infected burn wound on inside ankle area. I just want to know if Home Depot should have taken more action. If he had received any kind of a warning that his job position was in jeopardy his attendance would have improved. Actually in Daytona/New Smyrna area of Florida.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

living in arizona in Kingman, Arizona

31 months ago

I'm so sorry for what happened to your husband, this corporation truly makes me sick to my stomach. If all of us that have been abused by Depot could make these acts of cruelity public it would be a very good thing. I hope everything works out for you folks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Phil in North Easton, Massachusetts

9 months ago

frankster in AURORA, Colorado said: Whether your state is an "at will" state or not, if the point system isn't being administered equally and fairly there is a case for "wrongful termination" and I can assure you the point system IS NOT being done equally as per policy.

Unless it involves discrimination or a civil rights violation, more than likely the courts rule in favor of the employer(s) when it comes to employment at will: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

17 yr "orange blooded" vet recently term in Milton, Florida

6 months ago

After being in management with them myself for over 10 years, I can tell you this. All the power is in the managers hands, meaning are they honest and trust worthy, or are they just looking out for themselves and will do whatever it takes to keep blame off of them. Essentially, the manager that is over anyone can put whatever they want into someones file and if the only "investigation" that's done is reading the files that said horrible manager filled out, then you have little chance(and take it from me that that is exactly what happens in most cases). This Home Depot is not the same Home Depot that became great by being one big family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jack Kerouac in Newport News, Virginia

5 months ago

Last Thursday 5/22/2014, two managers tried to fire me. So my result was that I had to resign. It's better to resign than be terminated. Some customer complained and did not want to shop there anymore because I shared past work experience. The managers sided with the customer and not the associate. I am pretty relieved that happened to me. Also, I did not appreciate three people with less experience and who slacked off got promoted to DS. Happy to be away from Home Depot. Also I have no reason to apply for Lowe's because I hear the same bs there as Home Depot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zack Lloyd in Norfolk, Virginia

3 months ago

I got hired as a part time overnight stock associate for Home Depot in Virginia Beach in February of this year, and worked there for about 2 months doing EVERYTHING I was instructed to do before being terminated with no reason given that made any sense to me....
I must agree with 17 yr vet that this is all in the hands of the managers, and though they may claim the decision comes from higher up the ladder, it is them, and ONLY them that chose to let you go.
I am a white male college graduate, who works very hard, and is reliable ALWAYS, but my manager on duty was an African American, who obviously had no interest in doing anything to help a new Caucasian employee learn the ropes, and the first thing that came to mind for him was INSTANT TERMINATION.
When I asked for a reason, I was told, "the decision has been made". and "you are terminated, effective immediately".
This was after they had called me at home, and tricked me into coming in early to work, just so they could sit me down, and fire me. I was completely caught off guard, and am somewhat disgusted with this!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joe in San Jacinto, California

1 month ago

Working for Home Depot sucks management only looks out for them selves. They call you into a room to Wright you up they don't care what happen how it happen who's doing there job who's not. I would never work for Home Depot or buy from them again they treat there employees bad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

darlen in Oakland, California

13 days ago

I recently got terminated for home depot and I had only 6 occurrences and have been working there for 2 years.I know way more people that have more occurrences than me and still working I dont understand the system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.