Applying at Home Depot is a complete waste of time

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 124)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Professional Manager in Aurora, Colorado

94 months ago

I recently attended a job fair and met Home Depot's Human Resources Manager, (*name removed).

She said that she got hired by using keywords from Home Depot's job description in her resume, and posting it on monster.com. In other words -- she got VERY lucky to get noticed and hired.

Take it from me. I am an Air Force veteran with a Bachelor of Science in Business Management and more than 8 years of retail experience, and I can't even get an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (142) / No (65) Reply - Report abuse

GH in Stockton, California

94 months ago

Jean Luc Picard said: You're right. Applying at Home Depot is a waste of time. Not because you won't get an interview, but because you might get one and actually get the job only to find out later that you don't really want it. I know I used to work at Home Depot about ten years ago and it sucked. I never seen a place where people were so eager to stab you in the back just to make themselves look good so they could try to get ahead in the company. Some of these people acted like this was the best company in the world to work for. Believe me, it's not. You worked lousy hours and for lousy pay and lousy benefits and they would try to intimidate and make you feel like you should be grateful to have a job there. Also, if you were to stay around long enough to move up they would eventually fire you so they could replace you with someone else that they didn't have to pay as much. I only worked there for 5 months, so I was not there long enough for this to happen to me but I have kept in touch with other people that worked there and this is what would happen to them. You won't find to many people that have more then 2 to 3 years there because of this. This was 10 years ago and from my understanding it is only worse now. At least before their pay wasn't too bad for retail, but now they barely pay above minimum wage and you would be very lucky to get one weekend off a month. So unless you are a kid that just got out of high school I would try my best to stay away.

Hate to tell you Jean Luc but you've described just about every job in America! LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (91) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Peach Girl

94 months ago

Maker said: I also interviewed for the LP Position, I did a phone interview, as well as drive almost 200 miles to the regional office to go to canned interviews and take ridculous tests, only to never hear from them again, not even a call back. Don't waste your time.

Hi,
The same thing happened to me when I applied for an HR position. I guess the behavior is a corporate norm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

D

94 months ago

Yeah I applied there several times and haven't heard a damn thing about it. It's like if you're posting that you are hiring for all these open positions at least check out the website everyone is applying to. Then maybe you could hire some people instead of just posting now hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin

94 months ago

I went to a Veteran's Job Fair in which Home Depot had a rep there. I am US Army retired as a Logistics Supervisor with 25 yrs exp and I can't even get an interview so I went to the store and asked to speak to the Store Manager who informed me that he applied 18 times before he got an interview. No wonder the stock price is tumbling.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Quintin ( Florida)

94 months ago

It is obvious that no one want to work at Home Depot. Look at all the jobs they advertise for. If they paid good , they would keep employees. It looks to me like nothing but constant turnover
That is not display good for a company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Foristell, Missouri

94 months ago

Sorry, your theory is wrong. I have worked there for 5+ years now. There are alot of good people that work there and help each other every day in learning the job. Also, anytime you work in retail, you have crazy hours, you should have know when you applied for the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

James Robert Smith in Elmer, New Jersey

94 months ago

I just can't understand why all the negativity on applying for a position with Home Depot's Loss Prevention Division. I went to the store looking for the position I wanted. I met with the HR reprentative, who by the way had the knowledge I would look for in an HR person, he was more then helpful. I submitted my information to the Corporation and I was scheduled for an interview for the next day. I met with a DM who was well qualified for his job. I will see what the results are by Tuesday of next week. I have no doubt that I will be called back one way or the other. It's true that all corporations have some unqualified personnel, but it is also true that they have many others that handle the responsibilities with a professional outlook.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

Sonya in Buford, Georgia

94 months ago

Those jobs do not exist!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Sonya in Buford, Georgia

94 months ago

I hate that they clog up my job search with all of these fake job opportunities...UGGGHHH!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

HRDude in Knoxville, Tennessee

93 months ago

Jean Luc Picard said: You're right. Applying at Home Depot is a waste of time. Not because you won't get an interview, but because you might get one and actually get the job only to find out later that you don't really want it. I know I used to work at Home Depot about ten years ago and it sucked. I never seen a place where people were so eager to stab you in the back just to make themselves look good so they could try to get ahead in the company. Some of these people acted like this was the best company in the world to work for. Believe me, it's not. You worked lousy hours and for lousy pay and lousy benefits and they would try to intimidate and make you feel like you should be grateful to have a job there. Also, if you were to stay around long enough to move up they would eventually fire you so they could replace you with someone else that they didn't have to pay as much. I only worked there for 5 months, so I was not there long enough for this to happen to me but I have kept in touch with other people that worked there and this is what would happen to them. You won't find to many people that have more then 2 to 3 years there because of this. This was 10 years ago and from my understanding it is only worse now. At least before their pay wasn't too bad for retail, but now they barely pay above minimum wage and you would be very lucky to get one weekend off a month. So unless you are a kid that just got out of high school I would try my best to stay away.

Glad I read you post. I applied as well and did not get any response. I have an MBA and 20 some years in the field. They won't even look at me. May be I am the lucky one. With all these negative comments, I won't work there if they pay me double what I am making now.
I think Lowes, Toy R Us, Pepsi may be in the same line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

koie in Yukon, Oklahoma

93 months ago

GH said:
Hate to tell you Jean Luc but you've described just about every job in America! LOL!
you are right companies do not care anymore they just think that there are 20 others to replace you. they are right, but thats okay with them..no benefits to pay..they figure that most people that shop there usually find what they want to buy by themselves anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Its not just Home Depot. How about Acme Markets where the Store Management using not just profane language, but will be facing a law suit for striking an employee in a New Jersey Store. How about their President who is supposed to care so much who does nothing after being notified about the incident. The Loss Prevention Department in a total laugh. They have Area Managers that couldn't find a bleeding elephant in a snow bank. By far they are the worst company to work for and when it come to returing calls after an applicant has applied forget it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

SirLancelot in Kennesaw, Georgia

93 months ago

I can vouch that the HD has "suspect" hiring practices and confirmed it on 2 separte occasions. First, a friend of mine quit after refusing to relocate with his company - went to work for HD while he got caught up on his home improvement chores and once he did, he applied to corporate for several positions - he has a Bach; six-sigma, project mgr, etc. Found out that the store mgrs must approve (or bless) the app to corporate but this store mgr was sabotaging him b/c he didnt want to lose a store employee; then I applied (self employed) and have an extensive resume in security (crim just DOJ DOD, etc) and although I was interviewd (2 diff sets of guys) by the time that I got to the second set, they began to ask Q's that were not related to the job (was I six-sig , etc) which had nothing to do with the description I had; they feared for their jobs b/c I was more Q than they were and wanted to protect themselves from what they percevied to be a fast burner. I then applied in HR using diff name but my real qualifications, (I have a JD in employment law and have been running a company for years) and althoug I exceeded the quals for HR magmt jobs, I also never received a call back...we just laughed over a beer and agreed that this company will never be what it once was; my friend took over his dads business and I am still running my ocmpany - but we proved that the HDand its hiring practices are corrupt; those who interview are interested in nothing but doing the status quo and protecting their jobs - outsiders who appear eager frighten those on the inside who are just wasting time in a cushy job. Most of you who wrote below are correct - stay away from HD - take your skills and positive attitudes elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Dallas, Texas

93 months ago

Dont waste your time, I currently work for HD and just an fyi, they opened a center in Addison, Tx 9 months ago, spent millions and hired 700 people for this center, up till 2 weeks ago people from the company all across the country have even transfered there in good paying positions. Just today they announced they are closing the center. I have years of service there and I just found out that to go back there (a step down from where I was)I have to interview for the position, hell I trained half the dept where I am trying to go back to!!! its all about the bottom line in this disorganized co. I am out!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Don Dooline in Sun City Center, Florida

92 months ago

James said: I'm glad to see that sites like this exist and allow people to express thier real feelings about trying to get a job at what appears from the outside as being a company always ready to hire. Maybe applying for a job at Wal-Mart might be a better expereince for some of you that have "bad hiring Karma" with Home Depot. I can totally understand the hostility within the company ranks...true it happens everyone. I wish everyone the best of luck.

I had the same experience. I wish everyone well and hope they find a great job. They are actually discussing this over at www.topicbuzz.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin Tran in Atlanta, Georgia

92 months ago

I used to work for HD for 3 months before I found a better job...from my experiences of home improvement retailing --- Home Depot is one of the WORSE retailer to work for...their pays are alright (no prior experience) usu. start out at $7.00 or lucky $7.50...but you usu. worked by yourself in your department --- this explained why associate try to "run" away from customers --- they are overworked with low pay and overwhelmed responsiblities of assisting customers in stores and on the phones, downstock merchandises constantly, bombarded with cashiers asking for SKUs' and assistance. My recommmendation is if you looking for just a temporary job then these jobs at HD are ok but if you're looking for a career I would rather work for Lowe's(which I also worked for for 2 years)...Lowe's is much better on support and management...but with any retailer --- the pay rate is average just above the minimum wages a little. Hope this comment help clarify some issues jobseekers pondered about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

former HR

92 months ago

I used to be an HR Manager with HD and I can tell you that unless someone bugged the hell out of me, regardless of qualifications, they would not get an interview. Because of how many positions I had to fill and how the managers gave me about 1 week to fill them. They only wanted "warm bodies"-qualifications didn't matter to management and they wanted people who would work for cheap. As a matter of fact when I first started with the company the average hourly pay was about $15.00 an hour but I was told to start hiring more part timers at about $7.00 an hour. Also, I was told by more than a couple managers to hire young people-those that could stock the shelves and such. I would never go back to HD-they are a joke and by the way, as a woman, I don't shop there. They have completely alienated women shoppers by eliminating wallpaper, shades, and other "soft line" items that women like to buy as their husbands purchase lumber, tools, etc. Hey, if they don't want my money I'm sure Lowes will be happy to have it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

JW in Concord, New Hampshire

92 months ago

Sonya said: I hate that they clog up my job search with all of these fake job opportunities...UGGGHHH!!!

I agree. I basically clock in to monster for roughly 4 hours a day searching for job and all I get Home Depot leaving these tantalizing position that never amount to even a phone call or email saying "No, thank you." Either this given store's HR department likes playing cruel jokes on people or they need a color-coded keyboard to guide them on their journey through information superhighway.

Home Depot, you need a serious re-evaluation of your business practices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gladI'mgone in Saint Paul, Minnesota

92 months ago

James said: I'm glad to see that sites like this exist and allow people to express thier real feelings about trying to get a job at what appears from the outside as being a company always ready to hire. Maybe applying for a job at Wal-Mart might be a better expereince for some of you that have "bad hiring Karma" with Home Depot. I can totally understand the hostility within the company ranks...true it happens everyone. I wish everyone the best of luck.

Trust me... Wal-Mart/SAM'S is no better - they nearly killed me - 3 years, grueling hours - lousy pay - they really want 'numbers' people - cuz that's the name of the game... bottom line is the ONLY concern they have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

D4M in Stockton, California

92 months ago

You better believe that! I've been working nights there for 16 months and everyone hates it. I like to call it the forced labor camp. They have totally unrealistic expectations and they play favorites. If they like you great if they don't they don't give you any help and then they blame you when you don't finish something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Raleigh, North Carolina

92 months ago

James Robert Smith said: I just can't understand why all the negativity on applying for a position with Home Depot's Loss Prevention Division. I went to the store looking for the position I wanted. I met with the HR reprentative, who by the way had the knowledge I would look for in an HR person, he was more then helpful. I submitted my information to the Corporation and I was scheduled for an interview for the next day. I met with a DM who was well qualified for his job. I will see what the results are by Tuesday of next week. I have no doubt that I will be called back one way or the other. It's true that all corporations have some unqualified personnel, but it is also true that they have many others that handle the responsibilities with a professional outlook.

Did you hear back? Get the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FW in Fort Worth, Texas

91 months ago

I had applied several times before I found a way in. Actually with so mamny applications submitted it is almost impossible to go over each and every one. My supervisor usually picks out 10 or so qualified applicants and files the rest. I know thats not what most want to hear but hiring is only a small part of the job and time is limited. I personally would not spend 2 days just reviewing applications for a low level position. Its hard now that the internet has made it possible for even the laziest people to apply and that has flooded the hiring managers with more than enough apps. I think a good thing would be to remove the listing from Career Depot as soon as you have enough apps. Other than that you should just keep trying. It is a good place to work compared to some and if it was'nt there would not be soooooo many apps for every position under the sun.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

PIRATE42

91 months ago

HMMMMMM----ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECTS FOR HAVING A SUCESSFUL CAREER IN CORP. RETAIL IS A POSITIVE ATTITUDE-I THINK SOME OF YOU NEED A REALITY CHECK--I'VE APPLIED TWICE WITH HD-I WILL AGREE THE 1ST TIME WAS STRESSFUL HAD TO TRAVEL AND WAS INTERVIEWED BY SOMEBODY WHO COULD CARE LESS(AS A PRO.RETAIL MANAGER I DIDN'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY)BUT I DID HEAR BACK WITHIN A WEEK AND WAS OFFERED A POSITION-FOR PERSONAL REASONS I TURNED IT DOWN HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HD.
THE 2ND TIME WITHIN A WEEK OF APPLYING ON LINE AT HD WAS CALLED FOR AN INTERVIEW,THE FOLLOWING WEEK WAS CALLED BACK TO MEET WTH THE SM OFFERED A POSTION AND AFTER PASSING A DRUG/BACKGROUND AND HAVING TO PRODUCE SEVERAL FORMS OF PROOF TO BEING A US CITIZEN WAS OFFERED A GREAT POSTION AT TRIPLE THE MIN.WAGE NOT SALARY BUT PER HR AND NEVER BEEN MORE HAPPY--ALL MAJOR RETAILERS ADVERTISE FOR POSITIONS THAT ARN'T AVAILABLE--IT'S ALL IN THE TIMING------

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

JB in New Orleans in Marrero, Louisiana

91 months ago

First off, I can tell everyone that HD doesn't bother advertising for jobs that don't exist. HD is a RETAILER. What this means is they have to react to supply and demand. Unless you are psychic or have a great crystal ball it is nearly impossible to tell what someone is going to buy day to day let alone week to week or month to month. HD tries to anticipate certain events like everyone rushing out and spending a lot of money on flowers for Spring. What they can't anticipate is that late Spring freeze that puts the brakes on people wanting flowers or the fact that everyone suddenly decides they want the latest kitchen makeover they saw on Flip This House. As a result, HD anticipates how many people they will need to hire and then they have to either hire or not based on sales. Those applications don't stay out there forever either. After a certain time frame, I believe it is 6 months, they go inactive. So that's why you might apply many times and never get a call back. Plus there are salaries to consider. Some people just want more than a store can afford to pay. Just like supply and demand for goods, stores deal with supply and demand for employees. If a store needs you and there aren't many of you to choose from (like specialists) you get a higher salary. Additionally, you have to have the background that HD is currently hiring for. You may be a contractor with 20 years experience, but they are hiring for Spring which means Dept 28 inside and outside garden associates and probably not much else are being hired. So unless you are a contractor with 20 years experience in gardening they probably won't look your way.

If you truly want to work at Home Depot, I would suggest you track down the Department Supervisor in the area you want to work in, introduce yourself and make an impression on that person. Some ASM's have their Department Supervisor's sit in on interviews. Also, you will have an inside friend when that DS suddenly need a new assoc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

BD in Pensacola, Florida

91 months ago

My personal experience was that my wife applied several times online, with no calls or offers. I applied, on a whim, and in less then 3 weeks I had an interview and was hired. While it's not the best pay ever, it's also not the worst. The people have been fantastic, helpful, knowledgable and even admit themselves that with Nardelli the store as a whole has suffered. But most of them are trying to wright the ship, and make it better. I am under the thought of my Grandparents and Parents to be thankful to be working or capable of working. And those of you that want to rant about not being hired, attitude "might" have played a role in it. I just always point the finger at myself, before blaming others for things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Bear Creek, Alabama

91 months ago

I kept track on an MSM Money article on Home Depot which told of employee churn, the lack of customer service, and the ridiculous money & perks the exiting CEO received. That article spawned over 10,000 e-mails to MSN Money and over 6700 messages on the message board. Somehow, the new CEO got work, amd took notice and posted a message on the message board. He promised to turn things around.

I feel he was sincere as you cannot ignor a continuously declining customer base and a message board with that many ex-customers ripping into your company.

I'd give 'em a shot. Especially if you have the skills they immediately need. I believe Home Depot will turn it around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

There are several things I want to know about concerning the New CEO. If he is giving more than "Lip Service" by telling everyone that he wants to turn things around with HD, Why is the same practices of the past still be applied by the same personnel? HD has the right produces to sell, but the wrong personnel in positions that will do to them what it has done too many other retail operations. If the New CEO doesn't get a number of overseers out there, that report directly to him, then the time is fast approaching when you will hear people say, "Do you remember when Home Depot was in business." The light in the home is getting dimmer & dimmer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Raleigh, North Carolina

91 months ago

Hey there,

I wish you the best and will keep my fingers crossed for you! You sound like you're capable of doing most anything. Unfortunately, there are some that feel threatened by those of us who show we are fully capable.

Keep your chin up and a smile on your face. Things happen in their own time, sometime.

Take good care!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

TO THE "FORMER" HR IN GREENWOOD, INDIANA:
One can undersand that thousands of applications come to the attention of the HR Departments for HD. However, what about the individuals that are interviewed for a specific position that are not called & advised that the position was filled by another candidate. Are you trying to say that the HRM's time is more important than that of someone looking to feed & shelter their family??? Your comments falls somewhere in the area of Zero & Below. HD is in real trouble & when they close their doors & your looking in from the outside, maybe, just maybe it will come to you what was wrong in the way they trated "People" that were attempting to better the system. ONE last thing. Those applicants who feel the way they do, were also customers of HD. For your information, I spent over $47,000.00 in Lumber & windows at HD while building our new home last year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

HR dude in Lyndhurst, Virginia

91 months ago

Just by reading your comment, I can see how HD runs the company: chaos. Home Depot is one of the most imcompetant company I have ever step foot and and as far as operation is concern. I drove out of my way to shop a Lowes, and as far as services is concern, Home Depot has none.

Now, I have an MBA in HR and I also hold a SPHR certificate. Everything is automated today. I receive hundreds of resume daily and since my HRIS system is automated, they (the candidates) will get a reply (acknowledgement). I will only contact the candidates if they match what I am looking for. But they all got a "Thank you for applying" email from our company and we always encourage them to come back to apply again. How Home Depot treats the candidates tells us how Home Depot runs its business- no respect to its consumers. I am a consumer and a candidate once. Why am I not working for Home Depot? The reason is I am making more money working somewhere else that value me as a person: consumer and candidate. If Home Depot is really a consumer driven company, it needs to change its practice on how they treat their employees, consumers, and candidates. There is absolutely no reason to disrespect people, no matter how many resumes you received daily and if you are a contractor for the government or not. As far as working is concern, HR should be view as a strategic partner and not as a working partner. If the HR personal have to work on the floor 70% of the time that means 70% of the time Home Depot is short of help. AND WE ALL KNOW WHY by now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jody in Milford, Pennsylvania

91 months ago

Professional Manager in Aurora, Colorado said: I recently attended a job fair and met Home Depot's Human Resources Manager, (*name removed).

She said that she got hired by using keywords from Home Depot's job description in her resume, and posting it on monster.com. In other words -- she got VERY lucky to get noticed and hired.

Take it from me. I am an Air Force veteran with a Bachelor of Science in Business Management and more than 8 years of retail experience, and I can't even get an interview.

Applying for Home Depot is a JOKE....those of us that have experience and education can't pass their Robot test. In other words, their test is geared towards certain personalities and if you don't fit their criteria...then you might as well not waste your time...they don't know what valuable assets they are missing out on..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kim

91 months ago

HD is always advertizing for the same position. It seems to me that they can't keep good help. Also if these jobs were great why do they need to run all the ads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Rick S. in Westland, Michigan said: MAYBE IF YOU LEARNED PROPER GRAMMAR USAGE AND HOW TO SPELL YOU WOULD HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING HIRED.

My apology to the group. I was in a hurry to post and failed to do a spell check and read over my posting before I send. Of course when I sent my resume to HD, there was no grammatical error or run on sentences. I didn't know this would offend anyone. It is a casual forum and I thought it is OK to "type and send" and not knowing that I would be judged by my casual writing style.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Me, I tend to agree with you. However, as human resources issues become more complex, organization must learn to cope with the changing environment such as increase litigation in HR areas and employee satisfaction. I was a food service manager once and got into the HR job by accident, and I got my degree in HR after that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Jacksonville, Florida

90 months ago

i agree i had some 28 yr old who i dont think she even listen to my answers to the questions she just keepes saying is that all?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Things we need to know. Companies today wants to hire young kids just came of of college and we, OD (old dog) is not getting a chance. I applied at Target, Wal-Mart, Comcast, and some health care company and I was interviewed by some young girls. Well, when it was my turn to ask a couple of questions, they didn't know the answer. There went the job opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kim

90 months ago

You are absolulty right

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MAE,IN COLLINSVILLE, ILLINOIS

90 months ago

I HAVE READ ALL THE EMAILS FROM PEOPLE WANTING A JOB AT HD AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. HD OPENDED FEB.8, 2007 IN COLLINSVILLE AND I LIVE 2 STREETS OVER FROM HD AND I APPLIED ON LINE TIME AFTER TIME AND WOULD GO TO THEIR JOB SEARCH AND TO FIND THAT THEY STILL HAD OPENINGS. I HAVE OVER TEN YEARS OF CASH HANDLING EXPERIENCE AS WELL AS CUSTOMER SERVICE SO I CALLED THE STORE AT COLLINSVILLE CROSSING AND TALKED TO ERNIE NICHOLSON WHO HIRES THE CASHIERS AND I TALKED TO HIM, HE PULLED UP MY APPLICATION THAT I FILLED OUT ON-LINE AND TOLD ME THAT HE WAS HIRING AND LOOKED AND SAW WHAT MY PAY RATE WAS AT MY PREVIOUS EMPLOYER AND HE TOLD ME TO STAY WHERE I WAS AT BECAUSE HE WASN'T PAYING ME OVER 8.00HR. HOW RUDE COULD A PERSON BE I REALLY WANTED TO WORK FOR HD, BUT NOW THAT I HAVE READ ALL THE E-MAIL, I AM GLAD THAT I DID NOT GET A CHANCE TO SHARE MY WORK EXPERIENCE WITH HD. BY THE WAY YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR JOB LISTINGS OFF THE WEB.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

papamiller in Spencerport, New York

90 months ago

Some of these hiring managers don't get it. You may be coming from a higher paying job and you might want to step down and do something you might enjoy, regardless of the pay.

I think there was a situation with the Home Depot near me where the hiring manager wouldn't higher anyone that would threaten their own job. Obviously they are very insecure in their own job.

MAE,IN COLLINSVILLE, ILLINOIS said: I HAVE READ ALL THE EMAILS FROM PEOPLE WANTING A JOB AT HD AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. HD OPENDED FEB.8, 2007 IN COLLINSVILLE AND I LIVE 2 STREETS OVER FROM HD AND I APPLIED ON LINE TIME AFTER TIME AND WOULD GO TO THEIR JOB SEARCH AND TO FIND THAT THEY STILL HAD OPENINGS. I HAVE OVER TEN YEARS OF CASH HANDLING EXPERIENCE AS WELL AS CUSTOMER SERVICE SO I CALLED THE STORE AT COLLINSVILLE CROSSING AND TALKED TO ERNIE NICHOLSON WHO HIRES THE CASHIERS AND I TALKED TO HIM, HE PULLED UP MY APPLICATION THAT I FILLED OUT ON-LINE AND TOLD ME THAT HE WAS HIRING AND LOOKED AND SAW WHAT MY PAY RATE WAS AT MY PREVIOUS EMPLOYER AND HE TOLD ME TO STAY WHERE I WAS AT BECAUSE HE WASN'T PAYING ME OVER 8.00HR. HOW RUDE COULD A PERSON BE I REALLY WANTED TO WORK FOR HD, BUT NOW THAT I HAVE READ ALL THE E-MAIL, I AM GLAD THAT I DID NOT GET A CHANCE TO SHARE MY WORK EXPERIENCE WITH HD. BY THE WAY YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR JOB LISTINGS OFF THE WEB.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Arizona in Mesa, Arizona

90 months ago

I too applied for a management position. The process works as such... apply online, two telephone interviews, testing center visit to take 3 tests, which the hardest is the business acumen - which I scored very high on. After that, you are given a formal sit-down interview with a HR person and a Store MGR. This is after you have completed a store-walkthrough visit (take plenty of notes and type this professionally). The next step is to wait by the phone for an additional sit-down interview, usually with 2-3 store management personnel. Be prepared for off the wall questions that have nothing to do with work performance or how you manage personnel. If you look under 30, you might get hired. After my last interview, I heard nothing from either store management person, human resources not even a rejection postcard. This was after I also made several follow up phone calls, and professional thank you letters. I could tell during the interview, with the lack of interest from the management personnel, they were just going through the motions. To add insult to injury, I reapplied again, was called for the testing session again... which 3 days later the human resource individual called me back to state I did not need to attend - my scores were extremely high on the first round - and according to her notes, I should have been contacted for a position offering. Still waiting 2 months later - AGAIN! I might add, I am not overweight, ugly, and haven't reached the age of 40 yet. The customer service I do not receive when I enter these establishments has caused me to boycott them for life. I have 6 years multi-unit retail experience of 10 locations, supervising over 500 personnel, a little more challenging than one big-box store with 125 employees in it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Let me put it to you this way. If you are over 40, you won't get hire. This is how they work. I applied several times and got no response. One of my friend who was a young lady with less experience and education go hired in less than three week after she send her resume out. Does this tell you anything? That's Home Depot. See, I don't shop there anymore. I went out of my way to shop at Lowes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Vernice

90 months ago

Brian in Arizona in Mesa, Arizona said: I too applied for a management position. The process works as such... apply online, two telephone interviews, testing center visit to take 3 tests, which the hardest is the business acumen - which I scored very high on. After that, you are given a formal sit-down interview with a HR person and a Store MGR. This is after you have completed a store-walkthrough visit (take plenty of notes and type this professionally). The next step is to wait by the phone for an additional sit-down interview, usually with 2-3 store management personnel. Be prepared for off the wall questions that have nothing to do with work performance or how you manage personnel. If you look under 30, you might get hired. After my last interview, I heard nothing from either store management person, human resources not even a rejection postcard. This was after I also made several follow up phone calls, and professional thank you letters. I could tell during the interview, with the lack of interest from the management personnel, they were just going through the motions. To add insult to injury, I reapplied again, was called for the testing session again... which 3 days later the human resource individual called me back to state I did not need to attend - my scores were extremely high on the first round - and according to her notes, I should have been contacted for a position offering. Still waiting 2 months later - AGAIN! I might add, I am not overweight, ugly, and haven't reached the age of 40 yet. The customer service I do not receive when I enter these establishments has caused me to boycott them for life. I have 6 years multi-unit retail experience of 10 locations, supervising over 500 personnel, a little more challenging than one big-box store with 125 employees in it.

B

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mikey in Gloucester, Massachusetts

90 months ago

I applied at HD on-line, was called to come in for an interview, drove 75 miles to the store (I was relocating), and the store "manager" pulled a no-show! Then, they told me that there were no managers on duty that day! (huh?). 3 e-mails, 2 letters to corporate, no response. Called their 1-800 number and was told that it "wasn't our problem....talk to HR". They gave me HRs phone # which was the employee benefits line. Finally, I sent a letter to the store manager, guess what? No response. Stay far away!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amber L. in Winchendon, Massachusetts

89 months ago

Professional Manager in Aurora, Colorado said: I recently attended a job fair and met Home Depot's Human Resources Manager, (*name removed).

They probably didn't interview you because they told me they start EVERYONE off at $8.50 an hour and probably figured you were too over-qualified to work for that much money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amber L. in Winchendon, Massachusetts

89 months ago

Umma Dono in South Windsor, Connecticut said: What are the rates of pay @ HD? Who gets/got paid how much and for what position. I'm thinking about applying in Connecticut.

$8.50 to start, raise in 1 year, no benefits, only part-time work with varied hours. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Moncure, North Carolina

89 months ago

Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!! I apologize FOR those lame brains!

You deserve better!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim

89 months ago

Yes you are right! I'm am tired of these young people in HR that can't seem to see that skills are transferrable from 1 business to another.
Kim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

James Robert Smith in Monroeville, New Jersey

89 months ago

What does everyone think about the four employees of HD getting fired for apprehending a Professional Ring of Shoplifters? Their firing came after the employees had received letters of commendation from HD & the Police Department. HD reason: "The action of those employees could have caused injury to other employees and customers. By the way, The Ring attempted to steal $2,500.00 in wire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Moncure, North Carolina

89 months ago

Are you for real? Just unbelievable. No wonder more and more people sit on the sidelines of life, afraid to get involved. To what is this world coming?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.