Salaries and Benefits

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at IBM?

What do you like best about working at IBM? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

IBMer in Winchester, Massachusetts

87 months ago

travel will depend on the specific job or department -- some job descriptions say 100% travel -- this really means the potential for 100% travel; some say 50% or 70% travel -- this really means the potential for 100% travel (not a typo)

other potions are for a specific customer or ibm location, in a specific area -- travel is not requisite for these

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Dallas in Denton, Texas

84 months ago

I worked at IBM for several years in internal strategic sourcing. We were pressured to join the consulting arm -along with the 100% travel- with no pay increase. They don't pay market and will look to squeeze you whenever they get the chance, for the "privilege" of working at IBM. It's just another company now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rich in Fishkill, New York

82 months ago

Jimmy in San Antonio, Texas said: Check out www.allianceibm.org for information on salaries. Look in the Comments section. Band 6 is where most new college hires with a Bachelor's degree usually start. Band 7 is for Master's degree holders, and Band 8 for PhD. grads.

Interesting. I was hired on as a band 6 with a Masters degree. I guess it depends on where you get hired on. Also, you can end up getting stuck in a spot, depending on your salary, where you will NEVER get a pay increase.

IBM is a way to get your foot in a door now, but that is all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Manuella13 in Woking, United Kingdom

41 months ago

@NotYouAvg

Sounds brilliant.
My company was bought by IBM, and despite 5 yrs+ experience (3 at this company / IBM) in my field, I am in band 6.

Nice to know that not only my 15hrs a week of commuting (an IBM gift. Starts Monday.) are going to go to waste, but my career prospects and my savings as well... AND I'm going to have to write a braindead document with "excuses" for being promoted?!?! After THREE BLOODY YEARS of working hard???!?!
Might as well write an application essay for the MSc I want, instead! They don't deserve their staff, they really don't!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Murcielago in Indian Trail, North Carolina

35 months ago

Im trying to get on with IBM in the RTP area of North Carolina, in a non graduate professional position. Im not quite sure how the process works ive been in the "Under Review" status for about four days now. Is that normal? How long can it take to transition foward?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mprodigy in Glendale Heights, Illinois

18 months ago

Rich in Fishkill, New York said: Interesting. I was hired on as a band 6 with a Masters degree. I guess it depends on where you get hired on. Also, you can end up getting stuck in a spot, depending on your salary, where you will NEVER get a pay increase.

IBM is a way to get your foot in a door now, but that is all.

Hi,
Band 6 is approxiamtely how much because I got an offer from them and AT&T. Can you give me a range?

Regards

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.