IBM GPA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Ree in Reidsville, North Carolina

93 months ago

Do u have to have a 3.0 GPA to get a job at IBM?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

IBMer in Winchester, Massachusetts

93 months ago

No, GPA is not as important as skills and knowledge

If you have experience (not a college hire) and top notch skills, GPA is not an issue at all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ree in Reidsville, North Carolina

93 months ago

How do they expect you to have experience coming out of College if NOBODY will give an opportunity and they look at your college projects as just trash!!! How can somebody even get a chance to get an interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

knows someone in Washington, District of Columbia

90 months ago

A friend of mine just got a job with IBM a year out of school. He did not have a 3.0, but he had a year of doing inventory analysis and an econ degree. They hired him as a generalist, probably because he has good computer skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ree in Winston Salem, North Carolina

90 months ago

DO you have any ideas on how I can maybe get experience? ...how do you get it if nobody will give u a try! does my class projects not count as experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Me, just Me in Orlando, Florida

90 months ago

Ree in Reidsville, North Carolina said: How do they expect you to have experience coming out of College if NOBODY will give an opportunity and they look at your college projects as just trash!!!

Perhaps if you didn't demand executive pay and the cornor office on the 51st floor, then perhaps they may give you a shot in the mail room.

Perhaps, perhaps not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Ree in Winston Salem, North Carolina

89 months ago

JoeLArock in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Look for the back door! If you really want a job and not have someone hand one to you like welfare, you'll figure it out. Firms like IBM, Accenture, and Deloitte often have software class-- test incubators, really. They pay you some small stypend to take a class in say ABAP or another language to test to see if you have any skills or just a degree. It's sort of like "boot camp" for the computer industry. If you make it through their 4 or 5 week program, you become eligible for a job. You usually have to wait another 4 or 5 weeks before they will hire you. Then they bring you in at $25K a year. They put you to work to see if you are a "keeper" or not. If you are, they will take care of you financially. It takes about 2 years before you make it (or not) from when you start the class. They don't advertise the class and you need to find someone on the inside to get you involved. There are so many people applying for jobs they need a system to find out who really wants to work and who just wants a paycheck. No one said life was easy.

Look- first off, what i SAID went all over your head, ok and that shows how people can take something and just run with it not knowing all of the facts!!! What you said, is completely irrelevant to what I was talking about. It's not that hard to get a job in IT and you don't have to go and take no classes. I know several people who have got hired without going through all of that stuff with no experience and you are wrong about the salary #. NO IT job will start at 25k, do you know that Teachers make more than that? It really don't matter now b/c I have received a job offer and its a great salary!!! And I never said life was easy, you just have to know how to work the system!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dav in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

Your not getting a job because you write like a child.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

gooblygoogoo in Austin, Texas

88 months ago

dav in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Your not getting a job because you write like a child.

I love the humanity here. Almost every thread I've seen on this site today has two or more people yelling at each other like school children fighting over marbles on a playground. white america is self absorbed and ignorant but this has been an eye opener:/ We are the laughing stock bimbos of the universe! Beam me up now please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lit A Rit in NY,NY

88 months ago

dav in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Your not getting a job because you write like a child.

That should be <B> You're not </B>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yeahman in Patterson, New York

88 months ago

Dav in Pitt - could not resist - - had to reply here.

YOUR? should be You're - - love it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ted in Littleton, Colorado

88 months ago

Me, just Me in Orlando, Florida said: Perhaps if you didn't demand executive pay and the cornor office on the 51st floor, then perhaps they may give you a shot in the mail room.

Perhaps, perhaps not.

Sounds like a job you could handle...or maybe your management material..They also don't need a brain...Just have to be a politician....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

OldGuyinNC

86 months ago

When I was at IBM in the early 1990's we target recruited 22 colleges. The most well rounded major we hired then was Industrial Engineers - needed a 3.4 GPA but starting salaries then was $35,000 PLUS overtime for a BS. Master's started around $42,000 then no overtime payment. I don't understand previous postings salaries and IBM in the same paragraphs. EE's and ME's along with Computer Science majors would start in the same range then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Oh My! in San Diego, California

86 months ago

WOW, all I can say is that Ree is a sad example of College graduates today. Most of the worlds business is done through written communication. How very sad to see a rebuttal that was written so poorly. You would never make it in a Fortune 500 company with those grammar skills. Try learning spell check as your first computer skill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

86 months ago

IBMer in Winchester, Massachusetts said: No, GPA is not as important as skills and knowledge

If you have experience (not a college hire) and top notch skills, GPA is not an issue at all

Hi,

Would you happen to know which IBM office/person to contact for electrical engineering?

I worked at IBM Cleveland 6 years during college. My last year they downsized and laid many people off, including me. I moved on, but again a victim of downsizing from my last employer.

I would like to try to get back into IBM. What recruiter did you use? All the people I knew have since retired or was laid off so I do not know anyone inside.

I have a Bachelor of Electrical Engineer degree.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AidanD in College Park, Maryland

2 months ago

"You're." ^_^ Also, you're correct.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.