IBM Co-Op Positions - Interview?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

ElectricalEngineer in New York, New York

76 months ago

I have a quick question that I hope you can answer. I just recently interviewed for a spot on-campus for a position. I was the only Bachelors degree level student, since the other interviewers were Masters students... and the guy gave me a really good vibe. It seemed like he was only recruiting locally. He was also urging me to work for them in the Fall. However, he hasn't officially told me that I have been accepted.

I'm kind of confused and have a few questions that I hope you can answer.

1) After interviewing on campus, I will have to apply online. Are there typically other interviews that you must go through? My first interview wasn't technical at all, however he just spoke about courses and such.

2) When I told him I was available for the summer, he mentioned me applying online and then "taking tests"... do you know what these tests are? Are they position specific? (Please note, this is for a co-op, I will be a Senior when I work for them... not a full-time job).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Adam Kelly in Ann Arbor, Michigan

64 months ago

I realize this reply is going to be a year late for you, but hopefully it can help someone else that finds it. I've just accepted a coop position at IBM, so I've become familiar with the process. I initially was planning on just doing the summer, but I ended up picking a co-op that will result in me skipping fall semester. I've been told that the ratio of co-ops to internships at IBM is about 10 to 1, so make sure you consider this option. (co-ops are 6-7 months and internships are 3 months)

1) The on-campus interview will be with your campus recruiter. That recruiter's job is to filter through the applicants and pick the best ones. He/she will then send your resume around the country to different hiring managers and if they're interested in you, they will contact you. There isn't very much communication between hiring managers during the recruiting process, so you may be contacted by a handful of managers or (unfortunately) maybe none! You will have to apply to each hiring manager's specific job posting and interview separately with each one. Both of mine were phone interviews.

2) Part of the application process involves taking an aptitude test. You can't study for it, it's not technical, and you cannot fail it. Your wages depend on credits, so apparently it has nothing to do with that either. I'm not really sure what it's for, but I guess everyone has to take it. The closest thing I can compare it to is one of those online IQ tests that ask stuff about patterns. If you want to warm up your brain for the test, I'd advise just taking a few IQ tests.

*Bonus tip: The hiring managers want to know what you've done before and that you'll be able to do the job. If you have projects on your resume, make sure you can answer any questions about them and give a description.

Hope that helps someone, there is a wealth of information on the internet about the hiring process at Microsoft and Amazon, but I didn't find too much about IBM, so I thought I'd share.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Comp Engineer in Brookline, Massachusetts

60 months ago

I too have been applying to a coop position. So far, I've filled out my credits (more credits means more salary) and an online app form which includes name,social,dob,gpa,previous work experiences. Next I think would be the aptitude test my recruiter has informed me. I'm not sure if this is part of the application process or part of the 'getting to know you process after you've been hired'. Hopefully the latter, I'll let you guys know more when I find out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sowmya in Ellicott City, Maryland

54 months ago

So, Is it part of the interview process or 'getting to know better after one has been hired'??
In the former case, what are the chances that a person will be selected once he/she takes the IPATO test?
I gave my phonic interview and also the IPATO test, Its been a month, but I still dint hear from them.. :(
Any inputs are welcome

Comp Engineer in Brookline, Massachusetts said: I too have been applying to a coop position. So far, I've filled out my credits (more credits means more salary) and an online app form which includes name,social,dob,gpa,previous work experiences. Next I think would be the aptitude test my recruiter has informed me. I'm not sure if this is part of the application process or part of the 'getting to know you process after you've been hired'. Hopefully the latter, I'll let you guys know more when I find out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.