What's the company culture at Intuit?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Intuit?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Intuit?

Reply - Report abuse

Gail Houston in San Diego, California

84 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Intuit?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

Dress code is very casual, folks are friendly - one of our new hires yesterday said she couldn't believe how nice people are here. Morale is high and the company really seems to care about the well being of their employees. This is one of the only companies I know that will give you paid time off to volunteer in your community under the "We care and Give Back program". Interview process varies on the type of position - typically involves high level screen and then behavioral interviewing questions. I was in a training class yesterday and the tenure varied from 3 days to up to 16 years...folks seemed happy to be here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Fairfield, Ohio

84 months ago

Gail,
is intuit really as bad as they say when it comes to laying off workers ? Do they regularly layoff workers ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

I think the layoffs are misrepresented.

Intuit is a financial company that supports tax software - we ramp up and hire seasonal employees - they are hired full time with benefits but only work for a certain part of the year...we then ramp back down - some are able to go full time to support customers if we have a full time opening...most are welcome to come back year after year - each employee knows this going into the season. Some folks term this a layoff and say we do it all the time, when that really is not the situation at all. We hire these seasonal workers as Intuit employees, offer them benefits and perks that they would not get as a temporary worker...it is not a bad deal at all if you do not want to work all year long and this type of position suits your lifestyle.

There are of course other times where you will also see layoffs but I don't believe they are the norm - if we sell a part of the company, the staff that is not hired by the new company might be laid off if we are unable to place them in a new role - we do all we can to try to assist the employees in locating a new role internally and offer outplacement assistance if we cannot find a position - we also will try to rehire them if a new role becomes available later.

There are also times when we might purchase a company and we find we have employees doing the same job. Again, we would try to place the employee internally, if we are unable to then we again would offer outplacement assistance as well.

I have been recruiting for 20 years...and have taught workshops to the unemployed on a volunteer basis for the last 4...I would like to say we never layoff but that would not be true...I can tell you that we do all we can for our employees if we do run into a situation where a layoff becomes necessary.

We are experiencing a lot of growth right now in OH, TX, CA, AZ and MA and will be opening up a Call Center in Las Vegas and a Data Center is Washington State.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Dallas, Texas

83 months ago

I worked for Intuit after they acquired Lacerte in Dallas. Here is my synopsis of the company:

Top heavy - way too many managers. Org chart resembles an inverted pyramid.

Frequent turnover - layoffs last February in tax development and probably more to come in the next year. ProTax at Plano has seen four different directors in six years.

Workload - because of the layoffs, each employee is expected to do more.

Morale - Bad, again because of the layoffs. Rumors abound, and everyone wonders who is next.

Bottom line is that I would stay away from Inuit, in Plano anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Fairfield, Ohio

83 months ago

Thanks Greg.
Appreciate your response. Did you work in Intuit recently ? Just wondering , because Lacerte was acquired many years back. So, is Intuit still the same?

Gail, would appreciate your response on what Greg wrote.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I am not sure on the specifics of that downsizing since I have not supported that division since I have been at Intuit. I do know that the recruiters worked hard to try to place those employees they could and we are also open to ex Intuit employees who want to respond to current openings

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Dallas, Texas

83 months ago

Jim in Fairfield, Ohio said: Thanks Greg.
Appreciate your response. Did you work in Intuit recently ? Just wondering , because Lacerte was acquired many years back. So, is Intuit still the same?

Gail, would appreciate your response on what Greg wrote.

I left Intuit recently. I do not want to leave the impression that the employees are the problem. I really enjoyed my co-workers (for the most part).

The main problem lies in the fact that the current CEO of Intuit is demanding double digit growth from its ProTax Division. The tax software market is now a very mature market (few players, barriers to entry, high cost to customers to switch vendors). ProTax is a profitable division, but not profitable enough to satisfy the CEO. The only way ProTax can come close to double digit growth is to downsize its workforce and reduce costs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ex 10 Year Employee in Mansfield, Texas

83 months ago

The double digit growth that the CEO wishes is one thing. The heavy handed management of ProTax under the new VP is another. I like Intuit, and believe it is a good company to work for (I liked Lacerter better). It is not the entire company, instead it is the heavy handed VP of ProTax that is bad. Fear and intimidation is his MO. Once a leader is gone, he does nothing but speak ill of them and their leadership skills. He was criticized at his previous company for the same thing, however when he came on he addressed the criticism and said "Don't believe everything you read." However, looking back I am able to say that they were exactly right. If you're considering a job for Intuit, stay away from ProTax. If the current VP gets fired, I'll go back to work for them. Otherwise, I'm staying as far away from him and his cronies as possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Carrollton, Texas

83 months ago

I understand your bitterness at the current ProTax VP, particularly if you were caught up in last February's layoffs (as many of my friends were.) The point I would like to make is that the VP of ProTax may be singing the tune badly, but the song was written for him by the CEO. Keep in mind the following classic aphorism: "When the fish stinks, it stinks from the head." It definitely applies in this situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Erik in Lakewood, Ohio

83 months ago

Gail Houston in San Diego, California said: We are experiencing a lot of growth right now in OH, TX, CA, AZ and MA and will be opening up a Call Center in Las Vegas and a Data Center is Washington State.

Gail, you mention the growth in Ohio. I have seen a position for Cleveland here called "VP/Director of Product Development" posted now for what seems six months. I am about 90% qualified for the position, and have hoped for at least the opportunity for a phone screen. On the listing is an individual named "Don Willet", I've e-mailed Don my résumé multiple times, to no avail. Not even a, "...we've received your résumé and have deemed there are more qualified candidates..." communiqué. Based on the length of posting, one might infer that they haven't filled it - but I have a friend who is qualifed who is experiencing the same results - this seems to be a black hole. Comments?

Gail Houston in Mountain View, California

83 months ago

I know the key for this position was to find someone from a another software development company...I am happy to review both resumes if you would like to send them directly...gail_houston@intuit.com, while I am not working on the position I can give you some feedback.

Thanks
Gail Houston

Shawn in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

I worked for Digital Insight briefly in 2006, before quitting to go to grad school. During that time we were acquired by Intuit and it was great. The corporate culture was laid back, but focused. Hard work was rewarded and management seemed open to new ideas. And the benefits got better when we were bought by Intuit. Honestly, I'm about to finish my Masters degree, and I'm thinking about trying to back there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Thanks for your positive comments on DI and Intuit. I think it was a great acquistion because the cultures of the two companies were so similiar.

When you finish school we do hope you will consider reapplying.

SEO/SEM in Irvine, California

83 months ago

Hi, Gail, can you give some insight into the atmosphere/culture at the Mountain View office? I am interested in the SEM/SEO Management position at that location. Would you know of any particular details for this job that is not readily available by reading the job description on Intuit's website? For example, why is the position open, is the Search team doing well, who do they report to, etc? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I don't actually live in MV but would be happy to check with the recruiter who is working on that particular position...can you forward a resume to me along with the position number.

Mountain View is our headquarters so this is where the culture of Intuit started...good morale, high energy, and an overall great place to work. We have had folks from some of the really big players join us and compared the cultures and they really like it here.

Send your info to gail_houston@intuit.com and I will see what I can find out for you...have a great weekend

82 months ago

I have answered a number of questions on the culture here at Intuit so I wanted to share some exciting news that Intuit recently won an award for the 4th year in a row for being a great place to work in Northeast OH. I have included a part of an article below that was recently released on our website. We are continuing to hire technical support reps for Highland Hills, OH. Real Estate Software Sales, Implementation and Trainers for our MRI Real Estate Software - if you are interested in this type of role please send a resume to gail_houston@intuit.com.

Heres the article:
"For the fourth year in a row, Intuit Real Estate Solutions wins award for being a great place to work in the Northeast Ohio region.

Intuit Real Estate Solutions located in Highland Hills, Ohio was selected as a 2007 North Coast 99 winner for the fourth year in a row. The recognition honors 99 companies in the Northeast Ohio region who epitomize a great workplace."

Mike Veyron in San Diego, California

82 months ago

Greg's reply was very accurate.

*I wouldn't put too much weight on Gail's replies (biased) since she's still with Intuit and her job is to get people on-board.

Here's my experience with the Turbo Tax group...

- Too many managers and useless tasks.
- Agile/Scrum that is so chaotic not everyone knows what's going on.
- Lots of layoffs and dissatisfied employees that don't stay long.
- Management turn-over resulting in constant group-shift.
- Due to layoffs, each employee is expected to do a lot more which lowers your actual salary value
- Low morale due to management changes, product issues, and unpredictable job-security.

Once you look beyond the casual dress-code, 'challenging' work, and ok salary, I wouldn't recommend it as a place for career advancement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

BL in Tucson

82 months ago

My own experience suggests that Intuit ought to give Gail a raise and examine how things work at the Tucson office while they are at it.

I applied for the general eight-month seasonal position but was taken aside after my on-site call center test and told they wanted to consider me for a permanent spot in their Accountant group instead.

Only thing I can figure is they saw my Accounting background and thought that made more sense - which I can see. What I didn't like about it, was they made it seem like that was my only choice, as they said there really were no seasonal positions available after all (which definitely was not the case).

In any event, after all that (and my interview), my second interviewer made a point of telling me that I would definitively hear something within 2 days, either way. Those 2 days turned into 9 days and the kicker was that I somehow did not get one of the 50 open spots, which was kind of mind-boggling on its own.

I was also told they wanted to consider me for one of their tax positions (which I have to admit, also does make sense and maybe makes the most sense of all) but have not heard from them since (almost three weeks ago) and I have been seeing some ads that look like they may be for the tax positions they told me about (they had said these would be coming a few weeks later). And this is after I mentioned that I would have to move on other things if I did not hear back from them. Which is pretty much where I am now - I have something else (lesser) lined-up and am going to have to jump on it within a few days unless I amazingly hear something from Intuit all of a sudden.

I give props to Gail because she helped me through e-mail and phone several times throughout the process and probably did more for me from Texas than all of the Tucson people put together - even though she obviously has nothing to do with the Tucson office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

UnknowninTucson in Tucson, Arizona

78 months ago

You want my honest to god opinion. Ive been with Intuit since the start of the season. I thought and still do think it's a good company to work for. But at the same time I think the place is full of cow mess. Yes I said full of crap. Heres why. When I 1st applied. I applied for customer service, Went in had my interview everything went great. Got an email saying basically "that oh sorry your not qualified to work as a customer service agent" But I get a call back being offered a position to work in Lacerte tech support. Im thinking "O...K..." Im not qualified to work in customer service but however somehow Im qualified to work in Lacerte tech support. So I took the job, had a wonderful experience up until this point. But it wasn't until half way through training that I found out that this was a temp position. Anyway were going through training and I make friends with some people, and come to find out the guys in training has worked for INTUIT before, so they pretty much know how everything works... Training was a pain, because the guys who knew everything wanted to just breeze through everything, and the people who were knew were stuck in the wind. Well I get to start officially and man Im loving it best company I worked for. Now at this point I know Im a temp and that come APRIL 18th your either gonna be kept or let go depending on how you do during the season. Well it was very hard to try to keep a positive attitude. Because guys that started with us knew how to do everything and the people new to the company looked like noobs. There were so many tips and tricks, to everything, you would literally have to take the program home yourself and master it. Just to keep up with some of the vets there. They hire 4 classes altogether for Lacerte. And today 10 people were sent home, saying that we have until mid FEB. and than after that we are officially let go from the company. Ticked me off because we were told we had up until APRIL 18th. *CONTNUED*

UnknowninTucson in Tucson, Arizona

78 months ago

Continued.... You know what there excuse for the early layoff? Get this BS, because of being overstaffed. Well whose fault is that? Not mine or the others. That's the companies fault. I know Im a good worked. I had good stats. I personally think this is something INTUIT needs to work on.. You seeing this GAIL of INTUIT! Heres something funny that INTUIT doesnt tell you when you apply for customer service. There not gonna hire you for customer service. You wanna know who does official customer service for INTUIT. The people in the PHILLIPINES. I should know when transfering calls to customer service everynow and then. You can hear the accent. Plus I made close friends with a worker there. I was told everything. The company again is good to work for while your there, but bottom line there a bunch of users! Maybe I wouldn't feel so pissed off if they would have told me all of this up front instead of trying to sugar coat how fun it is to work there. You don't get paid for HOLIDAYS only Full time workers get paid for Holidays. So outta the 2 days or so they take off, you won't be paid for it. Just to let those know who is interested in working there. Im here to tell you the hardcore facts. They won't tell you whats really going down. Until its to late. Don't let what happen to me happen to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gail Houston in Plano, Texas

78 months ago

I appreciate your taking the time to comment and want to ensure you that I have sent your comments to our applicant experience team to look at and see where we can improve our process and communication with applicants.

For those reading these comments - we do have support centers that will ramp up and down for every tax season. Intuit will hire many of the workers directly - and they are considered full time - seasonal employees - some do go full time, others will come back year after year on a seasonal basis as mentioned above. Some employees may be hired on a temp basis depending on anticipated needs.

Please make sure when you to thru the interview process that you have an understanding of what type of position you are being hired for. If you are not told up front, please make sure you ask questions as you are going thru the process - including any questions you might have on benefits so that you can make an informed decision when you decide to join or team. We want your experience to be positive while you work with us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Jennings in Dallas, Texas

72 months ago

Another Intuit Layoff - Two weeks ago, Inuit-Plano had an additional layoff. Seems like every year brings more layoffs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Joe Jennings in Dallas, Texas said: Another Intuit Layoff - Two weeks ago, Inuit-Plano had an additional layoff. Seems like every year brings more layoffs.

Really? What group was was put through this round? Sales? Service? Support? Development? etc...

72 months ago

Six people were layed off in Tax Dev.

72 months ago

10-4 thanks!

70 months ago

More info - a total of thirty-one (31) employees were laid off in Plano this summer. Six were from Tax Development.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Wow, with as much as they like to be a growth company, they sure do lay off a lot every year. Do you know which groups were it this time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SarahBellum in Cleveland, Ohio

64 months ago

More layoffs at Intuit Real Estate Solutions in Highland Hills this month (March 2009). A total of 39 were let go this time including many long-time employees. Engineering took the bigest hit. The plan is to outsource more engineering work to India. Lovely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Alexan in Wayland, Massachusetts

61 months ago

It really depends on which location you work, in Mntn. View there is a casual, but business first, culture, with a big focus on the employees and the corner stones of the company culture, people first, courage, do right by the customers, etc.
In other locations that is not as true. The senior leadership in Massachusetts is more focused on self service and self promotion than the people, there is high turn over, a larger number of lay offs and a constant feeling of stress because you never know who is next. Communication to all levels is better that at most companies but input to ideas is limited to when the ideas are fully formed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Edman in El Cajon, California

50 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Intuit?

Apparently none of these people work where I do. My job is going to India so that some Wall Street Fat Cat can make more money this year. Companies with double digit growth don't need to do this. It is pure greed at its finest. The achilles heel of capitalism. Until I get my severance, or should I say paltry reward, I will be expected to work 80 to 100 hours a week (not a big change from usual) and will be expected to eat crap politely with aknife and fork unstead of actually saying that this is appalling and we should all be drawn and quartered for going along with it so politely. Unfortunately I would probably be alone in picketing this mockery of the great companies that once ran America. I'm sure you all remember back in World War II when American made all of its own products and the ones that we didn't we could sustain without. So when we needed to seal our borders and batten down the hatches to fight against the communist foe, we made it through. Now that companies like Intuit are leading our nation, would we prevail under the same circumstances? The papers bluster about how India is becoming a great financial force. Is it any wonder when companies like Intuit are shipping our jobs over there in midst of the greates financial meltdown since the great depression, duh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.