job interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

ruchir in Sunnyvale, California

87 months ago

I would like to discuss interview questions at intuit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gail Houston - Intuit Recruiter in Mountain View, California

87 months ago

Interviews vary depending on the group...you will typically receive a high level phone screen up front - discuss number of years of exp, what tier you have coded in, your leadership exp, types of projects you have worked on, etc. You are then passed on to a hiring manager...typically a phone screen then a detailed technical interview.

Intuit is a great place to work...feel free to send a resume and any position numbers you are interested in to gail_houston@intuit.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

Are there any specific questions asked during the phone interview by the initial recruiter that are 'deal breakers' or that keep someone from being passed on to the hiring manager? Also, when you say a detailed technical interview, what does this involve? I'm not a software engineer or IT, my experience is in marketing. Thanks for any advice in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gail Houston in Mountain View, California

80 months ago

Each position typically has different questions that are asked, so a deal breaker on one would not be a deal breaker on another. I think most of the job descriptions are pretty good here so I would go thru it and determine how you match each of the necessary skills and be prepared to answer questions around those skills.

You will find that Intuit does both a skill pre screen and typically a behavioral interview (asking very specific questions about past experiences). You typically either have the necessary skills or not.

I have seen people not do well in the behavioral interview because they give generic examples or theoretical examples rather than a specific example on how they handled a situation.

I hope that helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Thanks for the advice. :) What would be a typical behavioral question? I assume something along the lines of "How do you handle conflicts?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gail Houston in Mountain View, California

80 months ago

A behavioral question is not a "general question", it would be along the lines of:

tell me about a time you had to work on a project with a co-worker you did not get along with - how did you handle this situation

tell me about a time when you had to fire an employee

tell me about a time when you were able to effectively mentor an employee

tell me about a time when you had to work on multiple projects with competing deadlines

Do you see the difference, the best predicator of future behavior is past behavior...exploring how you handled specific situations will give us an idea on how you will handle situations you might encounter in a new role...

The questions are designed for each particular position - in one case you might want to know about change management and leading teams, in another case you would want to learn about handling difficult customers or managing multiple projects - so you gear the behavioral question to give you examples of that particular behavior

There is a lot of information on the internet about this type of interview - type in the key words "behavioral interview" questions and you should come up with some great examples and more insight into this type of interviewing.

Take care
Gail

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Thank you. That was very helpful!

sv_vet in San Jose, California

78 months ago

does anyone know about the IMS (Innovative Merchant Solutions) and Digital Insight groups at Intuit ? My friend is interviewing for positions in both these groups. Since both of these groups were acquired companies, I was wondering if the culture, payscale, workload is different from the rest of Intuit

Jennifer Hasche in San Diego, California

78 months ago

sv_vet in San Jose, California said: does anyone know about the IMS (Innovative Merchant Solutions) and Digital Insight groups at Intuit ? My friend is interviewing for positions in both these groups. Since both of these groups were acquired companies, I was wondering if the culture, payscale, workload is different from the rest of Intuit

One of the biggest selling points about IMS is the culture! IMS has taken measures to ensure a family environment despite the spike in headcount. For example, everyone is tasked to meet and interview five people per week and submit their interviews to him – somehow he manages it and taps you if you don’t turn your interviews in!

IMS is one of Intuit’s fastest (if not *the* fastest growing) business units. When we acquired IMS in 2003, they had 80 folks. Now they’re tracking around 565 and growing.

The IMS team is consistently ranked highly in “employee engagement” per the annual Voice of the Employee survey. (This is especially admirable for a contact center and speaks volumes of the leadership philosophy and the culture he’s created.) This is especially impressive because to be on Fortune’s 100 (which we have the past six years in a row) employees are randomly surveyed throughout the company.

Calabasas is now the home of three Intuit businesses: MyCorporation.com (high visibility growth initiative), IMS and Digital Insight. What room for career growth.

Some information about Calabasas (if you are not in the area)

• Top 2% in public schools in the State of CA
• Families represent 76.7% of the population, giving Calabasas a higher than average concentration of families
• New site planned for Woodland hills 9/2008; onsite cafeteria and fitness center
• 15 Minute drive to Malibu
• 60 Minutes to Santa Barbara
• 20 Minutes to Hollywood
• G

Gail Houston in Plano, Texas

74 months ago

It depends on who the interview was with - if was with a screener, they are waiting to get feedback from the manager...if it is with the manager they may have a few other interviews they are doing and want to wait to make a final comparison - if you are working with a recruiter they can give you an update and I would definately check back in with them...I typically tell my applicants that if they have not heard back from me by xx date, they should follow up with me...it is okay to check back in.

If you don't have a recruiter, let me know what the position number and your name is and I will try to follow up for you - send me an email to gail_houston@intuit.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.