Series 6 exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 166)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Lonestar in South Bend, Indiana

88 months ago

Can anyone who has taken this exam, explain to me how difficult the actual exam is? I am studying to take the test now and the practice test I have been taking are very difficult. Does anyone know how close in difficulty are the two tests? I heard the practice tests are more difficult.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (261) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

Gunjan in Bergenfield, New Jersey

87 months ago

you will be fine if u pass practice test. i scored 87% in real test while i was just scoring around 70.....more test u will do better u will perform

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Boomer123 in South Bend, Indiana

85 months ago

I have been working for Chase since March. I took the series 6 test which was stressful, though not very difficult. You have five weeks, in which you study 8 hours a day, five days a week to study for the test. It is a 100 question test, in which you can miss 30. You are given all the time and resources to pass the test.

I have been in the branch now for three full weeks. I am completely done with training and I love it. The hardest part of the job is just learning the computer system and that is not that difficult. It is not high pressure sales. You pretty much explain the products that most people need and want anyway. It's a good deal and I am so happy that I chose to take this job.

There is the potential to make 40-50k in your first year alone, working 40-45 hours per week. You'll make more depending on where you live. I live in a small city of about 100k people. I can only imagine what I would bring in if I were in a city even twice this size. Good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

BF in Oak Creek, Wisconsin

85 months ago

terminated said: I spent 8 weeks studying for the series 6. It was so difficult. I passed the majority of my practice exams, and felt very confident going into the test. But the test in absolutely NOTHING like the practice exams. I failed the series 6, and they terminated my employment at JPMC. It was horrible. Not to mention exhausting, stressful, and it took a big toll on my personal life spending night and day studying for this exam.

GOOD LUCK!

It shouldn't have been that difficult. Where did your study materials come from?Where are you located? I'm looking for motivated people in the Milwaukee WI area. Financial services is a great career path if you connect with a good company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Dean Haran

85 months ago

What is the different between series 6 and 7. Am I supposed to pass both series or 7 is enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Boomer123 in South Bend, Indiana

85 months ago

You are only required to pass the series 6. THis allows you to sell mutual funds. The financial advisor that works for you and your branch will have a series 7 among other licenses. THe series 7 gives you the ability to sell individual stocks and bonds, which you cannot do with the series 6.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Hi Carol in Denver,

Had to leave Schwab... what are you up to now? Are you open to other opportunities in the industry? I'm looking for financial services pros all over the country, including Colorado.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Sunshine State in Miami, Florida

85 months ago

To Boomer123,

What study materials did you choose in order to pass the series 6? Did you use any specific study aids? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

CFP in San Francisco, California

85 months ago

The 6 allows you to discuss variable investment products, the 7 allows you to sell them. The 6 is easier, a company usually will not sponsor you for the 7 unless you will need it. When they put you up to the NASD for the exam, they have to justify why you need it. I worked for years in the industry with my 6 and 63, I couldn't get my 7 because I wasn't in a sales position.

Take practice tests over and over again and you'll be fine, don't stress yourself out, it's only 100 questions, you'll do fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

RL in Livonia, Michigan

84 months ago

Hello, know this might be a tad late but I read the postings on this site and wondered what type of financial service professionals you are looking for, I work currently for a Large National Financial company and was looking into working for Chase but if you have anything in the southeast (detroit and suburbs) are I would be interested in hearing more

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

RL in Livonia, Michigan

84 months ago

That was for BF in Oak Creek by the way

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Swathi in Indianapolis, Indiana

84 months ago

Gunjan in Bergenfield, New Jersey said: you will be fine if u pass practice test. i scored 87% in real test while i was just scoring around 70.....more test u will do better u will perform

Hi Gunjan,
What was the material you used. Also if we study for 8 hrs do you think we can pass.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Karyu Fung in Edison, New Jersey

84 months ago

Hi everyone,

I'm taking this exam again next month. I studied my butt off for the last time, but came out feeling very disappointed/discourage. I did a lot of practice questions, but it's only about 5 of them are actually on the test. The test is very difficult, questions are worded differently and TRICKY!!! Right now I'm using the Kaplan studying materials and the practice test helps me to better understand the book materials. It's really hard to remember these info when I don't have any financial background. I used whatever time I have after work and weekends. I always looking for a better/easier way to understand/memorized all the terms in the book so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. GOOD LUCK!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

I had no real background in the industry either, but was able to pas my 6 and 63 on the first try with an 85% on both. You should do practice tests until you are scoring in the upper 80s to lower 90s on them consistently. Don't be looking for the same questons to be on the real test. To expect a lot of the practice test questions to appear on the real test is both unrealistic and unreasonable. The key, I think, is to realize that the tset questions ARE tricky (they do that intentionally). The way to succeed is to read each question VERY CAREFULLY to ensure that you understand exactly what they're asking. If English is your second language that could make the tests a bit more difficult because of the way they word the questions. Good Luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

fernanda in Bloomington, Illinois

84 months ago

PLease, anyone took the series 63 exam??? how difficult is that one. I am very scared becasue people say that is more difficult than series 6. please answer asap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

By the way, Fernanda, what firm are you with?

fernanda in Bloomington, Illinois

84 months ago

I am with Chase. I didnt do so well in series 6, i just passed. I am studying very hard for the 63 but some people say that they ran out of time and others say that is not as difficult. Are the questions too tricky??? what firm are you with??? and did the study material help you for the exam?? what are your recommendations in terms of studying...
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nick in Plano, Texas

84 months ago

BF in Oak Creek, Wisconsin said: Hi Carol in Denver,

Had to leave Schwab... what are you up to now? Are you open to other opportunities in the industry? I'm looking for financial services pros all over the country, including Colorado.

Looking are you? I have my insurance license in TX and will apply for same in Colorado where I will be moving to in early 2008. I have studied for my 7 and was passing simulations, but no NASD sponsor. So I took the TX general lines LHA exam. If you are a NASD sponsor we may chat! I would like to take at least the 6 and 63 1 Qtr 2008. Nick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

nick in Plano, Texas said: Looking are you? I have my insurance license in TX and will apply for same in Colorado where I will be moving to in early 2008. I have studied for my 7 and was passing simulations, but no NASD sponsor. So I took the TX general lines LHA exam. If you are a NASD sponsor we may chat! I would like to take at least the 6 and 63 1 Qtr 2008. Nick

Hi Nick,

Yes, lets talk. My firm is a FINRA (formerly NASD) member. Send me an email at rford00ssn@hotmail.com with your phone number, and the specific area of Colorado you're moving to.

83 months ago

fernanda in Bloomington, Illinois said: I am with Chase. I didnt do so well in series 6, i just passed. I am studying very hard for the 63 but some people say that they ran out of time and others say that is not as difficult. Are the questions too tricky??? what firm are you with??? and did the study material help you for the exam?? what are your recommendations in terms of studying...
thanks

Yes, the questions on these exams ARE tricky - and that's intentional. The goal of the FINRA exams, as I understand it, is to weed people out. So they make the exams tricky on purpose. That may not seem fair to you, but it's certainly fair to your potential clients. You ARE going to be helping them with their money after all, right? As a practicing RR you need to be a critical, analytical thinker. And that's what it takes to pass the exam. In taking these exams, It's CRITICALLY IMPORTANT that you read each question VERY CAREFULLY so as to understand exactly what they're asking.

As for not doing so well on the 6? Hey, you passed, didn't you? You have the same license passing with a 70% as someone who scores 95, right? I only got a 74 on my series 65 and was as happy about that as I was about getting 85 on the 6 and 63.

As for what firm am I'm with, I'm a Field Associate with World Financial Group, a Registered Representative with World Group Securities and an Investment Advisor Representative with Investment Advisors International (all affiliated companies)

Good luck on the 63. Make it happen!!! Let me know how you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John in Appleton, Wisconsin

83 months ago

BF in Oak Creek, Wisconsin said: It shouldn't have been that difficult. Where did your study materials come from?Where are you located? I'm looking for motivated people in the Milwaukee WI area. Financial services is a great career path if you connect with a good company.

I'm in my 4th interview with an investment/financial services firm. I would be more than happy to discuss job opportunities in your area. I'm ready to take and look forward to taking all the necessary exams. Previously held Series 3 (CFTC) while working at the CBOT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

QT in Boston, Massachusetts

83 months ago

BF in Oak Creek, Wisconsin said: I had no real background in the industry either, but was able to pas my 6 and 63 on the first try with an 85% on both. You should do practice tests until you are scoring in the upper 80s to lower 90s on them consistently. Don't be looking for the same questons to be on the real test. To expect a lot of the practice test questions to appear on the real test is both unrealistic and unreasonable. The key, I think, is to realize that the tset questions ARE tricky (they do that intentionally). The way to succeed is to read each question VERY CAREFULLY to ensure that you understand exactly what they're asking. If English is your second language that could make the tests a bit more difficult because of the way they word the questions. Good Luck to all.

Can you or anyone suggest what kind prep material need for Sreies6 and series 63? Prep CD, Book, or stimulate CD? Which publisher is better? How do you think about if I purchase these material thought ebay? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sb in Vancouver, Washington

83 months ago

This string of notes has been very interesting to read. I just accepted a role at a financial company that is sponsoring all my training and testing to become a Financial Advisor. However, if I fail the series 7, I will lose my job. I have been a bit nervous to start this new job. A few questions that maybe you can help with...how many hours should one study per week for the exams? If you pass the practice exams, is it pretty likely to pass the real exams?

Any words of wisdom?

thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

QT in Boston, Massachusetts said: Can you or anyone suggest what kind prep material need for Sreies6 and series 63? Prep CD, Book, or stimulate CD? Which publisher is better? How do you think about if I purchase these material thought ebay? Thanks

Kaplan is a good source for these materials. I have no knowledge of how good other providers are. I would NOT suggest buying materials on ebay because you want the most up-to-date materials possible. Kaplan and other test prep providers will get you that. Ebay is, at best, a gamble.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

Study like crazy no distractions.. People learn in various way, listening, touching,sight. So utilize all three methods in your study. Use flash cards, CD's, DVD,s , take practice test until you get at least 90% on all of them. Dont just memeorize the answers.. learn the reasoning behind the answer.STUDY THE ANSWERS THOUGHLY. Use studying materials from different sources.. you will find one may explain a subject matter a little better than the other and vice versa.
Put in Hours of study like gong to work (40). At least one serious good week.or break it down to two weeks four hours a day . TAKE THE TEST AS SOON AS POSSIBle AFTER YOU FINSIH STUDYING. Go to library.
Listen to the CD'S on way to work or whatever. Listen to them beforE you go to bed so it goes into your subconsious mind. LIsten to borok classical muSIC while studying. A professor told me about a study that was done with plants at a UniverSITY. Plants were put into a room to grow whiLE music was playing. One plant had borok classical, another had beethoven type classical (sorry cant recall the name), another jazz. etc. The plant that had classical music grew the most, however the plant that had Borok classical music grew even more. So studies suggest that if you listen to Borok clasical music while studying it will help you to remember.. make you smarter...
I was trained by a man that actually writes the test, and he stated they are written to be very tricky. If you have Kaplin in your area take their classes. It helped me out so much, I was able to ask questions, etc.
I really wish you much success. I know the feelng. So, I told Ameriprise I wanted to pass the test on my own without all the pressure. Once I do this I would transfer my securities license to their brokerage firm. I have a few more to take the 65 and the 28.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

John in Appleton, Wisconsin said: I'm in my 4th interview with an investment/financial services firm. I would be more than happy to discuss job opportunities in your area. I'm ready to take and look forward to taking all the necessary exams. Previously held Series 3 (CFTC) while working at the CBOT.

John,

We should talk. Email me at rford00ssn@hotmail.com with your phone number and best time to call. A resume would be nice too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Vanessa in Los Angeles, California said: Study like crazy no distractions.. People learn in various way, listening, touching,sight. So utilize all three methods in your study. Use flash cards, CD's, DVD,s , take practice test until you get at least 90% on all of them. Dont just memeorize the answers.. learn the reasoning behind the answer.STUDY THE ANSWERS THOUGHLY. Use studying materials from different sources.. you will find one may explain a subject matter a little better than the other and vice versa.
Put in Hours of study like gong to work (40). At least one serious good week.or break it down to two weeks four hours a day . TAKE THE TEST AS SOON AS POSSIBle AFTER YOU FINSIH STUDYING. Go to library.
Listen to the CD'S on way to work or whatever. Listen to them beforE you go to bed so it goes into your subconsious mind. LIsten to borok classical muSIC while studying. A professor told me about a study that was done with plants at a UniverSITY. Plants were put into a room to grow whiLE music was playing. One plant had borok classical, another had beethoven type classical (sorry cant recall the name), another jazz. etc. The plant that had classical music grew the most, however the plant that had Borok classical music grew even more. So studies suggest that if you listen to Borok clasical music while studying it will help you to remember.. make you smarter...
I was trained by a man that actually writes the test, and he stated they are written to be very tricky. If you have Kaplin in your area take their classes. It helped me out so much, I was able to ask questions, etc.
I really wish you much success. I know the feelng. So, I told Ameriprise I wanted to pass the test on my own without all the pressure. Once I do this I would transfer my securities license to their brokerage firm. I have a few more to take the 65 and the 28.

Thanks to you all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

QT in Boston, Massachusetts said: Thanks to you all!

Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chantal in Austin, TX in Bloomington, Illinois

83 months ago

I'm looking to take the Series 6 in a couple months. I passed the L&H but I heard that Kaplan was the worst place to get study material! Any suggestions for practice tests and study materials? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

veejay85 in St. Louis, Missouri

83 months ago

I thought Kaplan was outstanding, but then again I'm in a different state, but you would think the study materials would be the same??? I liked the DVD, CD, Books the classes and everything, I actually passed the series 6 thanks to Kaplan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Usman in Fort Worth, Texas

83 months ago

I have accepted a job at a firm in Texas, who said they will train and pay me for everything but I need to get my Series 7 and 63. They only give one chance to fail and then ur outta job. Dam I didn't know how serious this was. I'm really nervous after reading the comments of all the people. I'm not new to learning about funds options etc because I have a bachelors in Economics. But I have no clue what these licenses are about. Any advise on how to study for them and what kind of quesitons are asked on these exams and what kind of time do they give to finish the exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

veejay85 in St. Louis, Missouri

83 months ago

Overstudy. Get practice DVD's. CD's and books from different sources. I had to take the test three times. The third time was critical, because if I did not pass I would have to wait 6 months. I scored 90% on all practice exams before I thought I was ready. I know peole who passed the first time so you can do it too. The test is tricky on purpose, so study the skills to being a good test taker. (process of elimination, etc.) Always study your answers..know the reasoning behind the answers. Do not memorize the answer..this will not help you.
Goodluck & God Bless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

fernanda in Columbus, Ohio

83 months ago

Chantal in Austin, TX in Bloomington, Illinois said: I'm looking to take the Series 6 in a couple months. I passed the L&H but I heard that Kaplan was the worst place to get study material! Any suggestions for practice tests and study materials? Thanks!

HOw was the life insurance exam???? Is it tricky??? any recomendations??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kristen murray in layton, Utah

83 months ago

I have a question for you guys. I am currently a personal banker at Wells fargo and I am not lisenced. I applied at Chase and failed the stupid test. Wells does not lisence many of their bankers so I want to get my lisences with out them but I don't know how because I have heard I need a sponsor but I'm not sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joel in Amityville, New York

83 months ago

kristen murray in layton, Utah said: I have a question for you guys. I am currently a personal banker at Wells fargo and I am not lisenced. I applied at Chase and failed the stupid test. Wells does not lisence many of their bankers so I want to get my lisences with out them but I don't know how because I have heard I need a sponsor but I'm not sure.

A company has to sponser you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

any company or where i work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joel in Amityville, New York

83 months ago

kristen murray in layton, Utah said: any company or where i work

Any finacial institution you work for will sponser you if there is a need for you to have the series 6 & 63. If you are hired by JP Morgan Chase and they want you to have the 6 & 63 they will sponser you. Have you thought about job posting into a position at Wells Fargo to get the 6 & 63?

83 months ago

Well I am a personal banker already it's just that they only license so many pb's a year and apparently this is not my year

VaneBrn in East Orange, New Jersey

83 months ago

Usman in Fort Worth, Texas said: I have accepted a job at a firm in Texas, who said they will train and pay me for everything but I need to get my Series 7 and 63. They only give one chance to fail and then ur outta job. Dam I didn't know how serious this was. I'm really nervous after reading the comments of all the people. I'm not new to learning about funds options etc because I have a bachelors in Economics. But I have no clue what these licenses are about. Any advise on how to study for them and what kind of quesitons are asked on these exams and what kind of time do they give to finish the exam?

I had my Series 7, Series 63 and Series 65 years ago. The 63 and 65 are combined into the Series 66 at some companies. The Series 63 is an hour long test as I recall. It should be one of the easiest exams that you take. I think it was only 50 questions when I took the exam. It could be 100 now. I must stress that you read the study books even if you are taking a class. Make certain that you understand what you are reading. When you take the exams, try not to be so stressed out. You must read the questions and understand them. Sometimes a person can get an answer wrong when he/she mixes up the question. For example, if the question is asking what is not characteristic of something, and you do not see the not and you answer what is characteristic of something, you can get the wrong answer.

For the Series 7, make sure that you understand basic information and complex information. If you have a study manual, read all chapters. Take the practice final examinations. Sometimes, you will see similar questions on the actual exam. Relax, pay thorough attention to the questions, and do not get confused. Do not rush through the questions. When I took the exam, the maximum time was six hours for 200 or 250 questions. Some people have trouble with Options and some people have trouble with margin. Product Knowledge will be tested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

fernanda in Columbus, Ohio said: HOw was the life insurance exam???? Is it tricky??? any recomendations??

In my opinion, the Life Insurance Exam is easier than the Series 7 or Series 65. Read the study manual and when taking the exam use logic. Understand the question, and use deductive reasoning to get the right answer. Are you taking an insurance class?

83 months ago

fernanda in Bloomington, Illinois said: PLease, anyone took the series 63 exam??? how difficult is that one. I am very scared becasue people say that is more difficult than series 6. please answer asap.

The Series 63 is definitely not more difficult than the Series 6 nor is the Series 65. However, when some people take the Series 66, which is a combination of the Series 63 and the Series 65, it is more difficult than the Series 63 alone and it can be just as difficult as the 6. For some reason when the Series 63 is combined with the Series 65, it is more difficult than when they are individually taken. You should definitely have enough time to finish the exam. It is more basic than the Series 6 or Series 7. Read your study manual and understand what you are reading. Take practice exams and you will be ready.

Sometimes these exams have questions that give you a choice of four answers. Two of the answers are very obviously wrong. If you eliminate those as quickly as possible, you can concentrate on the correct answers from the remaining two choices. I thought of the Series exams as a process of elimination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

gvdlm in Cary, North Carolina

83 months ago

Any sponsors in Raliegh NC area, for my Series 6 exam??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Usman in Fort Worth, Texas

83 months ago

VaneBrn in East Orange, New Jersey said: I had my Series 7, Series 63 and Series 65 years ago. The 63 and 65 are combined into the Series 66 at some companies. The Series 63 is an hour long test as I recall. It should be one of the easiest exams that you take. I think it was only 50 questions when I took the exam. It could be 100 now. I must stress that you read the study books even if you are taking a class. Make certain that you understand what you are reading. When you take the exams, try not to be so stressed out. You must read the questions and understand them. Sometimes a person can get an answer wrong when he/she mixes up the question. For example, if the question is asking what is not characteristic of something, and you do not see the not and you answer what is characteristic of something, you can get the wrong answer.

For the Series 7, make sure that you understand basic information and complex information. If you have a study manual, read all chapters. Take the practice final examinations. Sometimes, you will see similar questions on the actual exam. Relax, pay thorough attention to the questions, and do not get confused. Do not rush through the questions. When I took the exam, the maximum time was six hours for 200 or 250 questions. Some people have trouble with Options and some people have trouble with margin. Product Knowledge will be tested.

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me what are the best sources of books and guides available out there, maybe at barnes and nobles etc. The name of the guides/books for Series 7 and 63. Do you think sticking with the info company provides for preparation is enough or is it a good idea to take a class or buy additional books for those exams i mentioned.

I NEED A 7 in Cary, North Carolina

83 months ago

gvdlm in Cary, North Carolina said: Any sponsors in Raliegh NC area, for my Series 6 exam??

Yes my firm in Raleigh, NC is hiring and sponsering for the 7. email me if you want the firms information.

carloscortezjr@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joshua Willia in Mchenry, Illinois

83 months ago

Does anyone know the specifics of the licensing requirements?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Daarnold in Bloomington, Indiana

83 months ago

gvdlm in Cary, North Carolina said: Is there any pre-requisite to take Series 63 test, I read some where one has to have either 6 or 7 licence before taking the 63 test? Can anybody clarify this???

You can take the 63 prior to the 6 with no issues. I would actually advise this, because I found the 63 to be more difficult. Not the material, but the sheer amount of studying I did for the 6 burned me out when it came to studying for the 63. You could easily pass the 63 with a solid week of cramming, no sweat. The 6 isnt too bad, I passed with a 92%. Everyone says its tricky, but I tell you I found so much of it to be common sense whereas the 63 was remembering laws, etc. Good luck...Ill tell you what, life is sweet once theyre out of the way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gvdlm in Cary, North Carolina

83 months ago

Daarnold in Bloomington, Indiana said: You can take the 63 prior to the 6 with no issues. I would actually advise this, because I found the 63 to be more difficult. Not the material, but the sheer amount of studying I did for the 6 burned me out when it came to studying for the 63. You could easily pass the 63 with a solid week of cramming, no sweat. The 6 isnt too bad, I passed with a 92%. Everyone says its tricky, but I tell you I found so much of it to be common sense whereas the 63 was remembering laws, etc. Good luck...Ill tell you what, life is sweet once theyre out of the way!

Thanks for the clarification

Jackson Underground in Chicago, Illinois

83 months ago

Ok, I am senoir in College majoring in Economics. I have a relatively light course load this semester, and I was thinking about studying to take the Series 65 and 63 exams

I plan on tackling the Series 65 first, and upon passing that exam proceeding to study/sit for the Series 63. My question is How long should I plan on studying (in terms of weeks) for the Series 65 alone. And then How long should I study for the Series 63? I will be using the Kaplan study material i.e. the exam study guide, practice tests.

I have read on company job listings that upon hire, they want you to pass the 7 and 63 within 3 monts (Scott Trade, Stockbroker Trainee position) Also I have read on various message boards that I would need to study anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. What are your opinions?

Lastly, As a college senoir, majoring in Economics, Will passing the Series 63 and 65 help me find a job after graduating, or will having passed 63 &65 not really make a difference for me. (I do live in the city of Chicago and there are alot gigs with Brokerage firms, and exchanges etc., though i may move to Phoenix after graduating)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

-J

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michael Pait in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

Boomer123 in South Bend, Indiana said: I have been working for Chase since March. I took the series 6 test which was stressful, though not very difficult. You have five weeks, in which you study 8 hours a day, five days a week to study for the test. It is a 100 question test, in which you can miss 30. You are given all the time and resources to pass the test.

I have been in the branch now for three full weeks. I am completely done with training and I love it. The hardest part of the job is just learning the computer system and that is not that difficult. It is not high pressure sales. You pretty much explain the products that most people need and want anyway. It's a good deal and I am so happy that I chose to take this job.

There is the potential to make 40-50k in your first year alone, working 40-45 hours per week. You'll make more depending on where you live. I live in a small city of about 100k people. I can only imagine what I would bring in if I were in a city even twice this size. Good luck to all.

In your office can you have a refridgerator? I have seen this done before (At a retail bank of all places - I think Wamu), and keep sodas and water in it.

What does the series 6 test actually cover? I worked in a call center enviroment for International Bank of Commerce and it was the easiest job in the world. Checking, Savings, Fees, Electronic Transactions, CDs and IRAs. I dont remember if there was any training of any kind, just shadow someone on the phone and get jiggy with it.

My problem is if someone is given the chance from what I understand JPMorgan sends someone to training? Does this mean there is an actual instructor training someone on stocks and bonds?

The problem that I have is I don't retain knowledge too well, unless I actually utilize it in the work place. I guess the problem I have had with alot of instructors is the incorporate too much useless information instead of getting to the point?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

passit007 in Fountain Hills, Arizona

83 months ago

Hey there guys! I operate a school that does online securities exam prep training using streaming and downloadable lecture videos, pdf study manuals, and online interactive exams. I just happened to come across this page through Google somehow. Anyway, the most important thing is to understand the concepts the exam questions are based upon. You can view feedback from some of our recent students here: www.testeachersonline.com/testimonials.html?PHPSESSID=37be22ce3305695c07950eaab9ce9751

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.