What's the company culture at JCPenney?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at JCPenney?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at JCPenney?

Reply - Report abuse

bombles1 in Tulsa, Oklahoma

82 months ago

Business casual, No Jeans, Groomed. When you first begin there is an atmosphere of team work. I've worked at a couple of department stores now and well JC Penneys exceeds them all as far as customer service and recognizing their associates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jeanie barton in Seattle, Washington

69 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at JCPenney?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at JCPenney?

You don't wanna work here..They have terrible HR practicies. This is my experience.

I was hired on by JC Penney for seasonal help and told that I would most likely be kept on as a regular (by the manager of the apartment). So, I awaited patiently to hear back from HR and find out whether or not I would be kept on after Christmas only to hear nothing..

In these types of stores, one it generally at the mercy of the management for decisions and can only inquire as to what their fate is quietly..and usually no clear answer of yes or no is given.

I found out I was being layed off, when I went to check my schedule and found that I was not scheduled to work any hours after Christmas. When I asked the hiring manager whether or not I was being kept on after Christmas, I got a light hearted reply that he didn't know. He would inquire with the store manager to see..They hadn't gotten around to giving out pink slips to those they were planning on laying off yet... Mind you, this is one week before I would have no hours or job.

It wasn't the fact that I was being layed off that was most unsettling. I knew it could happen, but I was given no notice at all. Management kept us in limbo and when I did ask a direct question, still not yes or no. I still have not been given formal notice that I am being layed off.

..So, after the discovery that I would have no job. And with no formal answer from management. It's terrible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cassidy in Monroe, Louisiana

43 months ago

I worked at Jcpenneys in Seattle, WA at southcenter. It was the worst job I have ever had. There is a night manager there named Lillian who is extremly rude and disrespectful. I believe that if Jcpenneys was a good company they would not have a manager like her. I warn anyone from working there. If you have Lillian has your manager be prepared to be treated worse then scum. She thinks that she is better then everyone else. I am just warning you to not work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

jcpenneyseasonal in San Jose, California

31 months ago

I am in limbo now with JC Penneys. I did call in twice for personal reasons so I figured I wouldn't be kept. They said Jan.25 (today) would be the deadline but I checked my schedule and I have a 4 hour day in a few days so I guess i'm a keeper? Or is this the way they tell you? Got some good insight from this site, guess if it was a no they wouldn't even bother to give me a day at all. Grateful for anything at this point! As far as employees and management goes I can take and leave some folks but that's at any work place. I kinda felt like i was being picked on by a manager but I made sure to say "hi" to her each and every time I seen her....EVEN IF SHE DIDN'T SEE ME! I figured it would either get on her nerves or sweeten her up. Nothing exciting happened but I could tell she was getting sick of my LOUD HELLOS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HAPPY TO BE GONE in Birmingham, Alabama

25 months ago

They wear jeans and just about any thing else, you wouldn't know if they work there are coming in to shop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.