Temporary Agencies

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

overqualified in Narberth, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

If you can avoid using a temp agency you will be better off. A lot of companies treat temporary employees like dirt. From my personal observations, companies dangle the carrot promising a permanent position and they just renew the temp contract over and over again. Working as a temp is the most difficult way to get into a company but sometimes it is the only way.
If they start renewing your contract instead of hiring you permanently, then it is a good idea to take the experience you gained and look for another job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Female in Washington, District of Columbia

88 months ago

And from my personal experience, you do ALL the work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Female in Washington, District of Columbia

88 months ago

Very true. It is a shame too. If the regular employees for these companies would actually do the work they were supposed to then they wouldn't feel so intimidated by the temps that come in and outdo them. The employees feel intimidated because they know they aren't doing their jobs, so when a temp comes in does the work and then some, they feel threatened. However, this is no reason to treat these temps like they do - but since they feel they are far more superior because they are an "employee" they should be grateful yet they aren't. I am appreciated by most were I temp now, taken for granted by some, and ignored by others -- to me, it is a job that I do until I can get a full-time better paying fully-benefited position -- and when I was a full-time employee, I always treated everyone as equals. I don't pay no mind to those who feel they are better than me, I don't have the energy to waste on them however, do fully believe in what comes around, goes around and one day those who treated others poorly will get their day. May not be when I would like to see it happen but it will happen - some will learn, others will not. If you can get a temp job that pays more than unemployment, by all means do it regardless. Don't cut off your nose despite your face. A temp job is better than no job at all and it goes towards your SSI for your future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

person who knows in Boston, Massachusetts

88 months ago

You have to understand the market for temp agencies employing individuals for larger companies. A large company would hire a temp from an agency to perform specific job duties. If they hire you for a permanent position, they have to pay the agency a hiring fee, which is usually a percentage of the salary that they are going to pay.

Usually, it is the best market for the bigger companies and the agencies. They don't have to pay benefits. They do not have to deal with dishing out unemployment checks. Additionally, the agencies tell you that if you work hard enough, you will get a chance to become a permanent employee. It's there way of trying to get more work out of you.

Although, it's really not logical for an employer to hire someone from an agency for a permanent position if they have to pay a hiring fee that can range into the tens of thousands of dollars. You are better off looking for a permanent position while working as a temp; a direct hire from a company means that they are not paying a fee to anyone other than the postings for the position on the job search boards. NEVER assume that because it is temp-perm that you will get the position with hard work. Your best bet is to keep looking and when you do find a permanent placement with benefits through a company as opposed to a temp agency, feel free to give your notice and leave for you new job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

paulinho do santos in Middlesex, New Jersey

79 months ago

well that day will come soon.all those people who doesn't have a green card wouldn't be able to get a job. and then what the temp agency would do
call us ill wait for that day woohoo soon all the temp agency would be paid big fines , i want to see their faces

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

well that day will come soon.all those people who doesn't have a green card wouldn't be able to get a job. and then what the temp agency would do
call us ill wait for that day woohoo soon all the temp agency would be paid big fines , i want to see their faces

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Chicago, Illinois

79 months ago

I have had the experience on both ends. I worked for a temp agency and the company I went to was awful. I was treated like a slave. I went to another temp company and found a different job. I was a temp but they treated me like a employee. You did not know the difference. They eventually hired me after five months. You just cannot come off as being to desperate to the temp agency. Then they will tell you anything so you work for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cocytus in Fort Wayne, Indiana

79 months ago

From my experience, the best bet is for you to start working w/ a temp agency at business that you'd like to work with and if you like it...quit the staffing service and directly apply w/ the company.

You may not get the job...but if you've been a good employee and you can get some internal references, they'll probably hire you so they don't have to pay the temp agencies.
This might be considered "unethical" by some..but temp services have no loyalty towards you.If you choose to have loyalty towards them...then that may not be a wise course of action.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

gary squire in Westland, Michigan

79 months ago

cocytus in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: From my experience, the best bet is for you to start working w/ a temp agency at business that you'd like to work with and if you like it...quit the staffing service and directly apply w/ the company.

You may not get the job...but if you've been a good employee and you can get some internal references, they'll probably hire you so they don't have to pay the temp agencies.
This might be considered "unethical" by some..but temp services have no loyalty towards you.If you choose to have loyalty towards them...then that may not be a wise course of action.

hello- I have been finding, that what you say on these web site, people take it the wrong way, and report people, even though, its a freedom of speech.
espically on craiglist. the best way to make a comment on the web is not making one at all. just turn the computer off. thier are visious people out there looking for trouble. we don't need it. as for temp ser. you are on the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

well thats how it is

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

paulinho do santos in Middlesex county, New Jersey

79 months ago

well big investor are behind the big money always has been like that no retreat no surrender

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dmana3172 in Secaucus, New Jersey

74 months ago

I would personally stay away from temporary agencies like Kelly Service and others. I tried that one time after I applied for a job at a company, conducted an interview, and then called me back telling me to go on kelly service. This means that whether I am working or bored, I get paid, until I was burnout completely. I always sticks with companies that will hire me. That's the best way to it. Stay away from temporary angencies. they are used as a middleman to pay you little money and then leave you behind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julie Chang in Bartlesville, Oklahoma

73 months ago

Temp agencies don't like you if you are over 40. And if they do send you somewhere, the client will have a problem with your age.

I had mostly good experiences temping when I was younger, but now that I'm older, clients do not want me. I also went on a "long term" temp assignment when I was 8 months pregnant, and the client dismissed me the first day, once they noticed my pregnancy.

If you are a female and looking for administrative work or a front desk receptionist job, you will have a hard time being accepted if you are much over the age of 35. They want pretty young, ditzy, girls working front desk. That is just a fact.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Julie Chang in Bartlesville, Oklahoma

73 months ago

Kelly Girls in New Brunswick, New Jersey said: Kelly Services told me the job was "temp to perm" but the client never had any intention of making the job permanent.

Temp to perm is a big lie. Temp agencies claim that ALL their assignents are temp to perm. This cannot possibly be the truth, because many companies will use temp agencies to fill a position for a temporary need, such as a worker going on sick leave or maternity leave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

28 months ago

overqualified in Narberth, Pennsylvania said: If you can avoid using a temp agency you will be better off. A lot of companies treat temporary employees like dirt. From my personal observations, companies dangle the carrot promising a permanent position and they just renew the temp contract over and over again. Working as a temp is the most difficult way to get into a company but sometimes it is the only way.
If they start renewing your contract instead of hiring you permanently, then it is a good idea to take the experience you gained and look for another job.

Actually now many companies will keep you as a temp for 3-6 months then suddenly let you go and hire another temp and the cycle repeats.

Temp to perm?? Largely it is a myth and advertised as such so you won't be looking for another job while on that temp assignment but then you get stuck in the temp trap for years possibly going from one temp job to another

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joiedv in Dayton, New Jersey

5 months ago

I always had good experiences working as a temp. And I'm over 50. No problems...I prefer temping vs. permanent. I think they treat you better. When you're a permanent hire they know they can beat you up. A temp can just get up and walk out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.