Sharana, Afghanistan

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (45)

millied in Raleigh, North Carolina

75 months ago

Is there anyone out there that has been to or know someone that has been to Sharana,compound in Afghanistan.Is it cold there is it mountains or what. Does anyone know first hand?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

mark in Sterling, Virginia

75 months ago

yes , it is very cold hear durinig the wenter . you need some cold weather boots and some good carharts for this weater , have your wife send a electric blanket man

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Fogleman in Fayetteville, North Carolina

75 months ago

millied in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Is there anyone out there that has been to or know someone that has been to Sharana,compound in Afghanistan.Is it cold there is it mountains or what. Does anyone know first hand?

Hey I'm new to this but my fiance is over there and he was assigned to Khandahar to start with. Once he got there he was assigned to go to Sharana. To his surprise once he got there, they put him at yet another place, OE, and then sent him out on a rotating crew. They also have him doing another job than the one he was assigned.

Now that he is out on this rotating crew, it means he has no access to KBR phones or internet. This really sucks. He is having to borrow someone's computer and pay to call me. This is not what they told him. He just left Houston the first of the month and I am really disappointed in KBR right now.

Has anyone else had this happen?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

75 months ago

You might want to post on the Salaries forum. There are a lot more people viewing it. I have never heard of a rotating crew. What job does he do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

started off hired in houston as a generator mechanic but he had previously done electrical work. now that is what they have him doing. he is a journeyman and from what i understand the crew he is working with go out to different smaller camps with no KBR facilities only military. He will be out for about 3 weeks then come in for 1 one week and back out again. Sure would feel better if someone else has had this experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

75 months ago

Never heard of that. So he is a journeyman electrician?
They are desperate for those right now, i hope he gets the same wage. The electricians got a raise. My husband is leaving on the 26th to process. Maybe someone can help you out on the other forum.Thats too bad ,i dont suppose you will get a lot of contact if he is travelling around. Where is his base?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

75 months ago

What does OE mean, is that a camp?
There have been a few people enquiring about sharana, is he there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: Never heard of that. So he is a journeyman electrician?
They are desperate for those right now, i hope he gets the same wage. The electricians got a raise. My husband is leaving on the 26th to process. Maybe someone can help you out on the other forum.Thats too bad ,i dont suppose you will get a lot of contact if he is travelling around. Where is his base?

Yes, electrician. He said they were not going to up his pay. He was hired as a power generator mechanic. He hasn't had a choice in the job or the pay.

When you say "process" you mean in Houston?

His base was supposed to be Kandahar (sp?) but without any warning they sent him to Bagram (sp?), then Sharana and then to Orgun E - that is what I meant by OE earlier and now he is in the mountains somewhere on a black out camp with no KBR amenities.

And yeah, you are right - very little contact since he has to get someone to let him use their computer (again because KBR has no services for them) and then pay to call me - if he can get internet access.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: What does OE mean, is that a camp?
There have been a few people enquiring about sharana, is he there?

Yes that is a camp, Orgun E, near Bagram and Sharana. He is not at OE right now because KBR sent him out as part of a crew that goes to smaller camps on an alternating basis for a couple to three weeks then he gets to go back to OE while another crew goes out. Never heard of this before either but again there are quite a few things that are "new" this time around.

switch in Austin, Texas

75 months ago

Sharon Fogleman in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: Yes that is a camp, Orgun E, near Bagram and Sharana. He is not at OE right now because KBR sent him out as part of a crew that goes to smaller camps on an alternating basis for a couple to three weeks then he gets to go back to OE while another crew goes out. Never heard of this before either but again there are quite a few things that are "new" this time around.

When you say "new" this time around, does that mean he has been over there before. Then he should know how it works then?
Yes my husband goes to Houston next Sunday to process. At the moment he is going to Iraq, Camp Victory but i dont honestly know where he will end up. Very worrying. Does a generator mechanic make more than an electrician? Will he move around for the whole year, like a service electrician?
Is OE a big camp and Sharana a small one? I dont know what to say except im sorry for you, but perhaps he might like moving around doing different things? doesnt make it easy on you though. Maybe this is just temporary?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: When you say "new" this time around, does that mean he has been over there before. Then he should know how it works then?
Yes my husband goes to Houston next Sunday to process. At the moment he is going to Iraq, Camp Victory but i dont honestly know where he will end up. Very worrying. Does a generator mechanic make more than an electrician? Will he move around for the whole year, like a service electrician?
Is OE a big camp and Sharana a small one? I dont know what to say except im sorry for you, but perhaps he might like moving around doing different things? doesnt make it easy on you though. Maybe this is just temporary?

He worked for KBR in Iraq several years ago. Says afghan is nothing like Iraq. It seems that Iraq is a bit more organized theater. And no, GM doesnt make more than electrician but he was told there were no openings for electrician. We don't know if he will move around all year or what. Not a lot of info coming down to him. OE is not a real big camp like Bagram or Khandahar. Actually you may want to look up the maps and provinces of Afghan and Iraq. They show the bases and if you yahoo search for Sharana and OE you can see pics of the facilities. As for him, he does like being busy but he also likes to know what is going on so he can decide if he wants to do something or not. This was a no input situation. Temporary? We do know that either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

75 months ago

I cant understand that. He is a journeyman electrician and they told him there were no openings? They are desperate for them, the recruiter is always asking my husband to refer people to him. And now he is working as an electrician with no payraise, that doesnt sound right at all. Why did he not want to go back to Iraq?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: I cant understand that. He is a journeyman electrician and they told him there were no openings? They are desperate for them, the recruiter is always asking my husband to refer people to him. And now he is working as an electrician with no payraise, that doesnt sound right at all. Why did he not want to go back to Iraq?

I dont understand it either. And it doesnt sound right to me. Like I said my first time around with this type of employment. He understood that afghan had better pay or uplift or something like that so there he went. Oh and as for the rotating, he said they call it a "ring route" - anybody heard of that?

I can say I'm learning a whole lot from this forum. Thanks to everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

75 months ago

Afghanistan and Iraq have exactly the same pay and uplifts.

imchico1070 in Quincy, Massachusetts

75 months ago

KBR offered me a position as an Electrician in Sharana. Wondering what is like over there. Also, are there any communications with families? I was told I'll be working 7 days a week 12 hour days. Is that true? Can I go outside the camp? Is there any free time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

KBR offered me a position as an Electrician in Sharana. Wondering what is like over there. Also, are there any communications with families? I was told I'll be working 7 days a week 12 hour days. Is that true? Can I go outside the camp? Is there any free time? He wanted me out there soon as possible.

switch in Austin, Texas

74 months ago

Electricians are now working 14 hour days, 7 days a week because of the inspections so ive heard. No you are not allowed outside the camp. Sharana, no one seems to know a lot about that camp. If you go on the Salaries forum there are more people viewing it. There is one guy that left last saturday to Sharana and he said he would give info when he can get on a computer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: I cant understand that. He is a journeyman electrician and they told him there were no openings? They are desperate for them, the recruiter is always asking my husband to refer people to him. And now he is working as an electrician with no payraise, that doesnt sound right at all. Why did he not want to go back to Iraq?

Switch, when i finally got a call from him i asked about the location. he said he didn't get a choice. he asked for iraq but got sent to afghan. a lot of this just doesn't sit well with me but he's there now and we will have to get through it. God bless us all and our families.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

74 months ago

Sharon Fogleman in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: Switch, when i finally got a call from him i asked about the location. he said he didn't get a choice. he asked for iraq but got sent to afghan. a lot of this just doesn't sit well with me but he's there now and we will have to get through it. God bless us all and our families.

That makes me wonder about my husband now.He told the recruiter he wanted Iraq and that is what they have him down for. He goes to Houston on sunday so we will see what happens. Im getting very nervous about all this. Is he still on that rotating crew?

74 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: That makes me wonder about my husband now.He told the recruiter he wanted Iraq and that is what they have him down for. He goes to Houston on sunday so we will see what happens. Im getting very nervous about all this. Is he still on that rotating crew?

yes switch, he hasn't come in yet from the first rotation they sent him on and during his call he said he had no idea when he would get back to his assigned base.....and by the way that assigned base is where i sent all of his winter clothing so as of now, he doesn't have anything except what he took when he left Houston.

74 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: Electricians are now working 14 hour days, 7 days a week because of the inspections so ive heard. No you are not allowed outside the camp. Sharana, no one seems to know a lot about that camp. If you go on the Salaries forum there are more people viewing it. There is one guy that left last saturday to Sharana and he said he would give info when he can get on a computer.

Where is the Salaries Forum?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

74 months ago

go to www.indeed.com/cmp/kbr then scroll down to salaries ,bonus and benefits. There are about a thousand postings. You will find tons of info there.good luck

74 months ago

They have stated in my e-mail is 12 hour days 7 days a week. And now it's 14 hour days. You can get burned out.

Schadenfreude in Seattle, Washington

73 months ago

I'm curious. As I am a licensed Journeyman electrician, what kind of money are they paying for electricians in Afghanistan?

Kevs beloved in Camarillo, California

73 months ago

They told my husband he would be bring home about $10,000 a month. A portion of that would not be taxed and a potion would. Not exactly such how it will work out. He left here on Nov.9 to Houston and arrived in Sharana on the 21st. Haven't seen any money yet because the last day of the pay peroid was yesterday. I was told that we would see some money around the 5th.

donnie vinyard in ocala, Florida

73 months ago

mark in Sterling, Virginia said: yes , it is very cold hear durinig the wenter . you need some cold weather boots and some good carharts for this weater , have your wife send a electric blanket man

i will be headed over there as a medic what kinda clothes do you recomend?

Abi in Algiers, Algeria

73 months ago

Yes i was there working for KBR in Sharana,around it's cold there is small PX,( we can pay some staff) as you explain your husband work on CJOA, so he will go from FOB to Another.
before Aug we had our own cell phone, but now no way to use it again KBR policy.
If you need any others info here is my Email,Abdirahmaniltireh@gmail.com

PS you need sent to your husband some staff sometimes.\

Abi in Algiers, Algeria

73 months ago

millied in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Is there anyone out there that has been to or know someone that has been to Sharana,compound in Afghanistan.Is it cold there is it mountains or what. Does anyone know first hand?

Yes i used to work up to last Sep 08. so sent all your Questions....

Tery in Missouri

70 months ago

James in Texas in Texas said: You husbands name is Steven correct? He was the Generator Foreman for Orgun-E? My name is James i was a cook in Orgun E while steven was their. When you work what is called "CJOA" KBR sends you anywhere they need you to go and theirs nothing you can do about it. How is steven doin now?

Hi James, or anybody that might know, do you know the zip code for Sharana? My boyfriend is going to be stationed there with KBR. We were over in Iraq together but on diff bases and could look things up by the zip code. Can you tell me a little about what is like over there? Thanks

kerry mcgraw in Dundee, United Kingdom

65 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: That makes me wonder about my husband now.He told the recruiter he wanted Iraq and that is what they have him down for. He goes to Houston on sunday so we will see what happens. Im getting very nervous about all this. Is he still on that rotating crew?

my boyfriend is a journieman electrician,he's been offered job in afghanistan
through KBR.We are both very nervous as don't know much about what's going to happen,we would appreciate some feedback from people who's partners are out there.

Lona Ornelas in Fairfield, Idaho

65 months ago

kerry mcgraw in Dundee, United Kingdom said: my boyfriend is a journieman electrician,he's been offered job in afghanistan
through KBR.We are both very nervous as don't know much about what's going to happen,we would appreciate some feedback from people who's partners are out there.

hi, i am in the same situation you are. my boyfriend is in baghdad right now waiting to go over to sharana. i am also looking for any and all info i can get. i am very nervous about his being there.

switch in Austin, Texas

65 months ago

Hi, go to www.indeed.com/cmp/KBR and scroll down to salaries ,bonuses and benefits forum. This is a very active forum with people looking for jobs and a lot of wives that have loved ones over there. Im sure you will get your questions answered.

Lona Ornelas in Fairfield, Idaho

65 months ago

thanks, i have been ive on that forum also. i am just very new to all of this and trying to get as much info as possible.

kerry mcgraw in Dundee, United Kingdom

65 months ago

hi,my boyfriend Oliver is uncertain about going as we have 3 children who he would miss dearly,he wouldnt get back for 4 months its a long time for them to go without there dad and i would miss him too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

raju in Fort Worth, Texas

54 months ago

sir i need your company job pls

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gone Fishing in Forsyth, Georgia

54 months ago

raju in Fort Worth, Texas said: sir i need your company job pls

The first thing you need to do is learn to read, write and speak English fluently and where it makes sense. The Army contract states that and we already have enough people here that you can't understand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jesse Kimmerling in Tacoma, Washington

52 months ago

The climate here in Sharana is almost identical to Eastern Washington.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ervin in Okinawa, Japan

48 months ago

Is there anyone out there that has been to or know someone that has been to Sharana,compound in Afghanistan.Is it cold there is it mountains or what. Does anyone know first hand?

Hi all, I dont know if any of you are still wondering anything about sharana. I was there for a year with the Army. Like everyone else has been saying, it gets extremely cold in the winter, from around november to february. Temperature drops below zero and it snows alot, so some snow boots will be great. Other then those months, the weather is really good, it does not get extremely hot in the summer, never over a 100 degrees. Also, FOB Sharana is located very high above sea level, so it is very easy to get sunburn during the summer, so if you have sensitive skin, take a lot of sunscreen. When I left, they had a small phone and computer place where you could call home. They were mentioning something about building a new one, but i dont know if that happen. The waiting lines to use a computer or phone is big so be patient if you do not hear from your love ones. KBR personnel work very long hours, usually their days start around 6am and do not end until 8pm. Living conditions are OK, way better than some other places, usually you have your own personal room, about a 10ft by 10ft room, small, but trust me, at least you do not have to share your personal space with anyone else. The food there is exellent, usually overseas dining facilities are very good and Sharana was about to open their new one when I was living. I left in April 2009. There is a small PX, so you can get stuff that you might need, they have a green beans coffee shop. They had a lot of local shops where you could get movies and other stuff for a very cheap prize, also, we had the option to get a cell phone. Many peope have cell phones to call home to avoid the big lines to call home, although, it is very expensive to call home from a cell phone, but it is worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

msh134 in Sun City West, Arizona

45 months ago

hello all i have been looking into going to work in afganistan and would like anyone to point me a direction as to where to apply thank marl

rgangadher@yahoo.com in Clarksville, Tennessee

45 months ago

hello sir iam electrican i looking for kbr job at sharana i have 5yars exp in electrican dept i still work at afghanistan fenty if u need pls cont rgangadher@yahoo.com pls thank you...

45 months ago

rgangadher@yahoo.com in Clarksville, Tennessee said: hello sir iam electrican i looking for kbr job at sharana i have 5yars exp in electrican dept i still work at afghanistan fenty if u need pls cont rgangadher@yahoo.com pls thank you...

KBR doesn't have hardly anyone left in Afghanistan, just Iraq.

45 months ago

msh134 in Sun City West, Arizona said: hello all i have been looking into going to work in afganistan and would like anyone to point me a direction as to where to apply thank marl

Fluor & DynCorp are the larger contractors here right now, post your resume on their sites.

raja in Clarksville, Tennessee

45 months ago

ok sr...if have a job at iraq pls cont me rgangadher@yahoo.com iam electrican

Aaronpendleton in Leander, Texas

32 months ago

In Route back tomar, weather is getting better now , around mid 60's and will start getting hot real soon , the cold weather gear can be put away , good luck very good camp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kilamarobertmawa@gmail.com in Somalia

2 days ago

I like the manager for Kbr how the conduct there program

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.