How to get a job at Kelly Services.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 112)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Kelly Services? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

oluwabukola c oladimeji-akindutire in Edison, New Jersey

96 months ago

have not work at any kelly services before.i want to fill out an apllication for job online thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

96 months ago

oluwabukola c oladimeji-akindutire said: have not work at any kelly services before.i want to fill out an apllication for job online thanks.

This is a forum for people to freely discuss job-related issues, so it's not guaranteed that someone from Kelly Services will contact you. What you want to do is a company job search for Kelly Services in New Jersey (www.indeed.com/jobs?radius=&q=company%3Akelly+services&l=New+Jersey). Once you find a job you are interested in, click on the job headline and you will be directed to the original post where you will find instructions on how to applyl for the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Brenner in Hillside, New Jersey

95 months ago

Just went to Kelly for in person interview. Typical corporate atmosphere but what concerned me the most was their lack of flexibility with their rules and procedures.

They wanted me to allow a background and credit check even without an official offer of employment, when I objected they said their was nothing the could do despite their intense interest in me for a position with one of their clients.

Now I dont know about you guys but I am not in finance, I dont handle cash or have access to company money so I dont allow credit checks and advise all of you to exercise as much caution. It is scary how much personal information these companies think they are entitled to.

I am a pessimist and dont trust a soul with the exception of my wife and my dog much less some flunky from NJ (The State of Frauds) but what made me laugh was the typical response from the manager who was consulted when I objected to signing the agreement, "We have never mis-handled employee info nor have we had any breaches in the past", he should have added "that we know of or that we would publicly disclose".

I guess the point of this message is be very careful with your personal information. If they have no legal entitlement to it dont give it out, most companies will understand and modify the rules to get good people, they have for me in the past.

Familiarize yourself with what they are entitled to and what they are not and prepare relevant and persuasive arguments to substantiate your position. Frauds are perpetrated against those whose information is readily available and willfully distributed. Food for thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Leonie

95 months ago

I WORK THROUGH A GREAT AGENCY CALL COWORKS AND IF YOU ARE SEEKING TEMP/TEMP-PERM THEY ARE GREAT. THEY DO PLACEMENT FOR SCHERING PLOUGH. A GREAT CONTACT PERSON IS (*name and number removed - incorrect information supplied).
GOOD LUCK TELL HER LEONIE SENT YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

New to Forums in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

95 months ago

Can you please tell me how I can get just my name to appear without the town? It is a small town.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated in Ohio in Blaine, Ohio

95 months ago

New to Forums said: Can you please tell me how I can get just my name to appear without the town? It is a small town.

Use a proxy. LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe C in Syracuse, New York

94 months ago

Brenner said: Just went to Kelly for in person interview. Typical corporate atmosphere but what concerned me the most was their lack of flexibility with their rules and procedures.
They wanted me to allow a background and credit check even without an official offer of employment, when I objected they said their was nothing the could do despite their intense interest in me for a position with one of their clients.
Now I dont know about you guys but I am not in finance, I dont handle cash or have access to company money so I dont allow credit checks and advise all of you to exercise as much caution. It is scary how much personal information these companies think they are entitled to.
I am a pessimist and dont trust a soul with the exception of my wife and my dog much less some flunky from NJ (The State of Frauds) but what made me laugh was the typical response from the manager who was consulted when I objected to signing the agreement, "We have never mis-handled employee info nor have we had any breaches in the past", he should have added "that we know of or that we would publicly disclose".
I guess the point of this message is be very careful with your personal information. If they have no legal entitlement to it dont give it out, most companies will understand and modify the rules to get good people, they have for me in the past.
Familiarize yourself with what they are entitled to and what they are not and prepare relevant and persuasive arguments to substantiate your position. Frauds are perpetrated against those whose information is readily available and willfully distributed. Food for thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Still Persevering in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

94 months ago

On the credit check issue: I always ask is this a soft or hard review? If they give me the Doe in Headlight look, I DON'T give them that info. Having credit reviews to your credit report may lower your rating, even it is for job search. I've worked way too hard to get mine in the higher numbers and don't want someone telling me that I can't protect that. To me that is unprofessional and not needed.
If you need a background check, I'll provide info AFTER an actual job is discussed. As you said with Kelly, if they want that upfront - my next question might be, "Why have you had problems in the past?" I've even had someone ask if I had correct clothing and dependable transportation. I was wearing a 3-piece suite and we had just discussed our Year 2000 SUV's. Agencies need to be realistic in what they ask for.
Bottom Line: I'll work with anyone that has legitimate reason to have this info. Getting a job goes back to being a numbers game, the more you apply, the better the chances. However, that does not include being privy to my confidential info every time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

George W.Bush in Syracuse, New York

94 months ago

Kelly Services is way too intrusive especially without a solid job lead to start with AND criminal background checks
are payed for by the(you quessed it)applicant!!!!and not for felonies for misdomieners that are SEVEN
years old !!!.I would understand if the jobs were better or payed more but they are the same jobs everone else offers without the nit picking questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

ANOM in Wade, North Carolina

94 months ago

Brenner said: Just went to Kelly for in person interview. Typical corporate atmosphere but what concerned me the most was their lack of flexibility with their rules and procedures.

***AMEN BROTHER!!!!!***

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Eileen in Goffstown, New Hampshire

94 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Kelly Services? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
I have worked for Kelly Services. The job they sent me on, was a place I worked before.A real Pit. No safety equipment from Kellys. gloves, goggles exc. First interview with Kelly's went ok,but they will place you in sub standard jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Dear Kelly Service.. In comment to your reply. If you have to look on this web site to comment on working for Kelly's your either 1,Not happy, and looking for another job.Or 2, Not busy enough while you work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Oak Lawn, Illinois

94 months ago

i recently interviewed for a job with Kelly services i am in the IT field and was going to take a lower paying full time job while attending school i figured they would be more flexible as far as hours everything went well the interview with the client they were excited about me working there then ......when they ran my background check i was turned down for a petty misdemeanor that was like 4 years ago and i had not been arrested in like 15 years before that its the only thing on my record it was ridiculous this is the only time i have ever had an issue with this charge on my record i just do not understand how they can be so picky i am a military veteran and had a top security clearance but was turned down for this low paying bulls*** job and the people that worked there were completely ignorant

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Sorry, this happened to you. You know the old saying?? What goes around comes around. well, maybe some of those idiots that work there, will have the same thing happen to them!Keep trying!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Persevering Again in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

93 months ago

Eileen said: Sorry, this happened to you. You know the old saying?? What goes around comes around. well, maybe some of those idiots that work there, will have the same thing happen to them!Keep trying!

Yep-you're right about that. I just want to have one chance - just one - to say no to some of those "recruiters" who send you to jobs that are absolutely absurd. One recent experience: wanted an exec admin AND do outside sales, for an entry-level salary. The recruiter told me the client "was very interested in going forward with hiring". Yeah, I bet they both were. The client and recruiter were looking to buy out the 3 month contract early. However, I don't work 6 day weeks, never did sales, and don't appreciate being told that other workers aren't putting in the needed 12 hours days, while he's gawking at me!
PS: not with Kelly. Another firm in these forums.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Aniston in San Mateo, California

93 months ago

My feeling is that if someone is nervous about getting a background check they are usually trying to cover something up. Secondly a 7 year background check is fairly standard practice. Third the majority of those background checks and the "what" and "how long they go back" is not governed by Kelly, but by the client. Background checks are getting more and more common these days, it is something you might as well get used to!

Still Strong said:
Kandy said:
The applicant DOES NOT pay for any credit and/or background checks. That is untrue.
I have worked with many agencies and never paid for any background checks. I am all for them doing background checks - it is my safety at stake also. I don't have anything to hide.
No, I don't like my history being reviewed and neither do I like being searched before taking a flight. But, if this keeps everyone safer or leads to the arrest of one bad guy - I'll support this.
These days, employers have a duty to make the workplace safe for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

I Value my PRIVACY in Syracuse, New York

93 months ago

Jennifer Aniston said: My feeling is that if someone is nervous about getting a background check they are usually trying to cover something up...Background checks are getting more and more common these days, it is something you might as well get used to!

Wrong. On several points.
We who value our privacy do not have anything to "cover-up". And no, I refuse to "get used" to the practice.
A background check implies that all candidates for a job lie. A drug test implies that we all are recreational drug users.
What is worse is that for-profit companies like ChoicePoint (the background checker for Kelly competitor, Manpower) maintains a file with YOUR data for PROFIT for anyone with your D.O.B, SSN#, DL#, last known address etc.
Think first before you fork over your information to anyone, think about who and how many people have access to it.

INFORMATION IS POWER, do not give up your power to just about anybody.

I leave you with my favorite statement:

"When Hitler attacked the Jews
I was not a Jew, therefore I was not concerned.
And when Hitler attacked the Catholics,
I was not a Catholic, and therefore, I was not concerned.
And when Hitler attacked the unions and the industrialists,
I was not a member of the unions and I was not concerned.
Then Hitler attacked me and the Protestant church --
and there was nobody left to be concerned."

The exact text of what Martin Niemoller said,
and which appears in the Congressional Record,
October 14, 1968, page 31636.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Eileen in Tilton, New Hampshire

93 months ago

Good Point! However,what do you think of the Credit Checks there asking for?? That's where I refuse!I can see background checks,crimmial checks for jobs where money is involved, but I refuse to let them dabble in my Credit Records.Another-thing- How many out there have Stellar credit, when you've been out out of work 6 months?? Sign Me Disqusted with the system!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

G.W.Bush in Syracuse, New York

92 months ago

I had to pay for a backgroung check out of my ouw pocket and there wasn't
even the propect of a job being offered yet.I do not think this is fair or the correct way to do things.I have no objection to the check But I feel that if Kelly wants one they should have to pay for it.Or it should be up to the prospective employer if they require one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Eileen in Weare, New Hampshire

92 months ago

If you had to pay for your own background check you got scamed! I would notify the head office about this and who scamed you. I never had to pay for a background check for a temp agency. I hope you do something about this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Haha in Palos Hills, Illinois

92 months ago

It's hilarious that so many people on this board are barely literate. How pathetic. No wonder you are having trouble getting positions through a temp service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Midwest Oracle in Palos Hills, Illinois

92 months ago

FYI - there ARE cases in which a staffing company like Kelly may require that you pay for your own screen. For example, if you fail a drug test for a Kelly assignment, you must wait 1 year before trying to work with them again. At that time, it can be required that you pay for another screen at a lab of their choice. "Kelly Services Employee in Berkley, Michigan" is correct for the most part, though.

"Eileen in Goffstown, New Hampshire"'s comment about the reasoning behind a Kelly person looking on this site was just ignorant. When you work in HR and in employment, it is a prudent measure to seek out sources of feedback about your organization.

You're = you are, by the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Eileen in Weare, New Hampshire

92 months ago

My comment is Ignorant??Listen my dear, I majored in Management, and have operated my own business. Enough said?? My comments stand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Midwest Oracle in Palos Hills, Illinois

92 months ago

Eileen in Weare, New Hampshire said: My comment is Ignorant??Listen my dear, I majored in Management, and have operated my own business. Enough said?? My comments stand.

Oh, you majored in 'Management' AND operated your own business? That MUST mean that you know what you are talking about. Sorry, my dear.

Your 'comments' stand? Your 'comments' were really just an unprovoked attack on someone from Kelly Services who was trying to clarify a misunderstanding about the nature of the background screen policy.

Ignorance was demonstrated by the assumptions and assertions made in your response to Kelly Services' post:

Eileen in Weare, New Hampshire said: Dear Kelly Service.. In comment to your reply. If you have to look on this web site to comment on working for Kelly's your either 1,Not happy, and looking for another job.Or 2, Not busy enough while you work..

Again, when you work in HR and in employment, it is a prudent measure to seek out sources of feedback about your organization.
(That's why I'm here.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

92 months ago

Haha in Palos Hills, Illinois said: It's hilarious that so many people on this board are barely literate. How pathetic. No wonder you are having trouble getting positions through a temp service.

How sanctimonious. Can you spell that without a thesaurus? Quit bashing people for their literacy. They are just doing quick blips. This is not an English class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

haha in Palos Hills, Illinois

92 months ago

Anon in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina said: How sanctimonious. Can you spell that without a thesaurus? Quit bashing people for their literacy. They are just doing quick blips. This is not an English class.

Clever. Wouldn't one need a DICTIONARY and not a thesaurus if they were trying to determine the spelling of a word?

Furthermore, to say that I am sanctimonious would imply that I am hypocritical. How many postings of MINE are riddles with spelling and grammatical errors?

This is not an English class, but don't you think that people should care enough to take the time to communicate properly?

There is way too much diarrhea of the keyboard around here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

haha in Palos Hills, Illinois

92 months ago

Ahem. *riddled. Nice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

92 months ago

So the concerns pertaining to Kelly Services background check and drug screening that have been raised 1. a prospective employer's right to know vs the employee's right to privacy 2. what happens to the data afterwards 3. who pays for the screen 4. who makes the money off of the screen and the data Does anyone have anything to contribute about these issues?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joe carroll in Syracuse, New York

92 months ago

I would like to clear the air as far as who pays for the background check.It's simple I had to and I have the reciet to prove it.However this was asked of me before any prospective employer asked Kelly
for any background check.I think this unfair because
I could understand if a client of kelly asked them for one but this was not the case.I have never before been asked to pay for a background check and I
believe it's not any of Kelly's concern unless one of there client requires it.It makes me wonder if
Kelly services administation knows of the practice
by there various agenccies as I would like to get my money back and would like to know who to complain to.
Joe Carroll

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

92 months ago

haha in Palos Hills, Illinois said: Clever. Wouldn't one need a DICTIONARY and not a thesaurus if they were trying to determine the spelling of a word?

Furthermore, to say that I am sanctimonious would imply that I am hypocritical. How many postings of MINE are riddles with spelling and grammatical errors?

This is not an English class, but don't you think that people should care enough to take the time to communicate properly?

There is way too much diarrhea of the keyboard around here.

A thesaurus helps you spell something when you don't know how to. Thought you might help that way. Didn't think you could find your way through a dictionary.

Your comment: "How many postings of MINE are riddles with spelling and grammatical errors?"

I think you were right "riddles", jokes !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly Employee in Kingsport, Tennessee

92 months ago

NM=anonymouse:LA=1176850194773: in Kiev, Ukraine said: joe carroll in Syracuse, New York:

Let us know what happens!

Nothing will happen Kelly Services does not care.

It's all about the money. If you are a temp then you are hired only if can generate money for the company. Kelly Services does not look for a job for you. Kelly only tries to sell a company and then fill a job order. Kelly really could care less who goes to the job.

If you work for Kelly Services then you know about the internal staffing shortages and the payroll centers that never get the temp's paycheck correct and you are constantly making excuses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Carroll in Syracuse, New York

92 months ago

You tell it like it is

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Agencies are not God! in Denver, Colorado

92 months ago

Do companies (temp or actual) have a LEGAL RIGHT to ask if someone has a CAR as opposed to: Do you have transportation?

It seems NOSEY and none of their business if someone has a car! Especially when the application asks "Year and Make!"

Who do these agencies think they are? God???

Kelly Services from my experience is slightly more professional than the others -- I don't think they post fake ads like Office Team, etc. But they are anal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Agencies are not God! in Denver, Colorado

92 months ago

If you're in HR then listen up: Your people at Kelly who hire are mainly DUMB. They are like robots with no BRAIN of their own! They remind me a bit of Stepford Wives (or Husbands!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

POPPY in Hayward, California

92 months ago

i worked with kelly before and i really enjoyed it!! they pay the best!! their service is the best and when u go job where they send you, they respect you too becuase they know kellys service.
2 years ago they found me 2 job ,15 dolars and hour also full time.. but they have lots of client , you should keep call them and go their office like a person , take their all test, speak with consultants.. if u show up a afew times a month and if you pass exams , sure they find u job!! GOOD LUCK!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

charko

91 months ago

Anyone have suggestions for an temp entry level clerk job for a person who has been out of the work force for 30+years? I also have a double wamy of not being able to answer the telephone. Self taught myself MSWord,Access,Outlook,Quick books pro. Am now doing volunteer work for a non profit agency in hopes of getting a more recent business reference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Good luck. I've been to College, and never got a office job of any kind from a temp agency. No-one I know has either.Have you taken there tests yet? The tests can be difficult. I did well on them,(or so I was told) but no office job. Only thing I can say is keep trying,but I think you might do better looking in the Job sites..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Need a great resume in Littleton, Colorado

91 months ago

Stop telling everyone you've been out of the work force for 30 years. I'm sure you've been doing something. Concentrate on the future, not the past.

Get a GREAT resume written, too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angry guy in London Ontario in Ingersoll, Ontario

90 months ago

@ temp to perm.

Don't EVER, EVER get your hopes up.

The whole "temp to perm" thing is a what they tell you so you'll work even harder. The dangle that carrot in front of you, and when you're 400 hours are up, you're given a boot to the ass, and someone new will come in to take your spot.

I've seen it in so many jobs in the past.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

SD in Jacksonville, Florida

90 months ago

I have been waiting for 2 1/2 months for my recruiter to call me with a job opening. I have worked for Kelly before for almost 3 years in another state and have been in the administrative field for 5 years. So I know I am qualified for some kind of a job through them. I don't understand what the problem is. I call my recruiter every week and if I get her answering machine, she never calls me back. If I get her live, she seems annoyed or like she doesn't care and that I'm waisting her time. My husband is going on 3 months now of having to pay my credit card bill because I can't get work. I am just so frustrated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Denver, Colorado

90 months ago

Persevering Again in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina said: Yep-you're right about that. I just want to have one chance - just one - to say no to some of those "recruiters" who send you to jobs that are absolutely absurd. One recent experience: wanted an exec admin AND do outside sales, for an entry-level salary. The recruiter told me the client "was very interested in going forward with hiring". Yeah, I bet they both were. The client and recruiter were looking to buy out the 3 month contract early. However, I don't work 6 day weeks, never did sales, and don't appreciate being told that other workers aren't putting in the needed 12 hours days, while he's gawking at me!
PS: not with Kelly. Another firm in these forums.

That is TOO FUNNY! It kinda reminds me of one that wanted:

Executive Secretary / Sales Manager.

OK, which is it? Is the person going to delegate to themselves? Which salary is it? Do I get the Sales Management salary or the Executive Assistant salary? LOL

I have seen the most ABSURD and ridiculous jobs. The employers are so unrealistic about what they can expect!

How about this one -- CEO / Janitor

I'm waiting to see this one!!!

LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Professionally Speaking in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

90 months ago

Liz

Thanks for the outloud laugh. I'm glad to see others keep their sense of humor in addition to their honest perspective.

I did take one of those jobs, and by a big mistake - overlooked "and other general duties" in the job description - so, I am out looking again. Why? It was almost along the same lines as the exec admin/office manager. You guessed it, the title and "tasks" were of no match.

Remember some key questions on interviews:
1) Why is this position vacant and for how long? Where is the previous person?

2) Is there an actual job description (don't rely on the vague general ones) with specifics.

3) ALWAYS try to meet with the others you will be "supporting" - if they don't have time, etc. - this is a sign that the hiring folks may not want you to meet "others". If the others don't have the time (respect) to meet with you before a job, they probably will have not respect for you after you're hired.
This is one of those hard lessons learned, but, not seen in many job search checklists.

Good luck to all. I am of the closed door to open door and "things happen for a reason" attitudes. I am good at what I do, but I don't read minds or do bathrooms - any more.

Liz Denver in Denver, Colorado

90 months ago

Professionally Speaking in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina said: Liz

Thanks for the outloud laugh. I'm glad to see others keep their sense of humor in addition to their honest perspective.

I did take one of those jobs, and by a big mistake - overlooked "and other general duties" in the job description - so, I am out looking again. Why? It was almost along the same lines as the exec admin/office manager. You guessed it, the title and "tasks" were of no match.

Remember some key questions on interviews:
1) Why is this position vacant and for how long? Where is the previous person?

2) Is there an actual job description (don't rely on the vague general ones) with specifics.

3) ALWAYS try to meet with the others you will be "supporting" - if they don't have time, etc. - this is a sign that the hiring folks may not want you to meet "others". If the others don't have the time (respect) to meet with you before a job, they probably will have not respect for you after you're hired.
This is one of those hard lessons learned, but, not seen in many job search checklists.

Good luck to all. I am of the closed door to open door and "things happen for a reason" attitudes. I am good at what I do, but I don't read minds or do bathrooms - any more.

I also try to ask on interviews "how long was the last person in the position?" If a short time, ask "Why was that?" It seems employers want to know EVERYTHING about us, but we can't ask anything about them! We should be able to ask for the NAMES AND PHONE NUMBERS OF THE LAST 3 PEOPLE WHO WORKED FOR THEM! WOULDN'T THAT BE GREAT! :) :) LOL!!!!! Can you imagine their surprise????????

I know any job is better than NO job at all to some people, but if they're just going to end up leaving as the boss is a "bad apple," isn't it better to find out up front rather than wasting your time when you could be looking elsewhere?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eileen in Hooksett, New Hampshire

90 months ago

Enjoyed reading your letter. Your Right On!! I would dearly love to ask some of the employers some of those questions. How about running a Background check and Crimmal activity check on employers??Had one call the other day, I had put in for an Admin Asst. position. They asked me if I could run machines!!!(and they didn't mean office machines!) ???? Keep smiling!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Just Me in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

90 months ago

Liz Denver in Denver, Colorado said: I also try to ask on interviews "how long was the last person in the position?" If a short time, ask "Why was that?"

is the real kind of help we all need. I agree about not working for "bad": many are on their best behavior when we meet them, THEY are desperate for someone and we need a job.

So far a list of OUR interview questions:

1) Previous Person:

Why is this position vacant and for how long?
Where is the previous person now?
Will I be training with this person? If not, are there any notes to go by?
May I call this person for information?
What is the usual turnaround time for this position? (My last job, found out 3 months into job, position had a 2-2.5 yr cycle. Here 2-2.5, vacant 6-7 months, etc.)

2) Could I review the job description (don't rely on the vague general ones) with specifics.
OR - if you have job description: ask things like, what "level of MS" do you need?
What does, for instance, set up conference meetings?
This could be sending a MS meeting request to handling hotel reservations, presentation, etc. - this could be a simple or very complex "task".

3) KEY QUESTION: Is there a backup plan or are there other admins that I can talk with if I need assistance or have to be out?
NOTE: Ever been plunked into a job to find out later, that you were on your own and there was no one to contact?

4) ALWAYS try to meet with the others you will be "supporting" - if they don't have time, etc. If the others don't have the time (respect) to meet with you before a job, they probably will have not respect for you after you're hired.
NOTE: Be aware of the body language here. If they squirm or won't look at you, they're hiding something.

5) How many are being considered for this position?
If the number is low - beware.

Also, saw a site for questions to ask - anyone seen that lately? It was in article about protecting yourself before taking a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Barry in Denver, Colorado

90 months ago

SD in Jacksonville, Florida said: I have been waiting for 2 1/2 months for my recruiter to call me with a job opening. I have worked for Kelly before for almost 3 years in another state and have been in the administrative field for 5 years. So I know I am qualified for some kind of a job through them. I don't understand what the problem is. I call my recruiter every week and if I get her answering machine, she never calls me back. If I get her live, she seems annoyed or like she doesn't care and that I'm waisting her time. My husband is going on 3 months now of having to pay my credit card bill because I can't get work. I am just so frustrated.

First of all, the agency is NOT looking for a job for you! You are wasting your time and being foolish "waiting" for someone to hand you a job! You have to stop being "passive" and actively look instead of waiting for someone else to find you a job!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Barry in Denver, Colorado said: First of all, the agency is NOT looking for a job for you! You are wasting your time and being foolish "waiting" for someone to hand you a job! You have to stop being "passive" and actively look instead of waiting for someone else to find you a job!!!

Barry - way too harsh. We are here to support each other. Not demoralize someone. I see that your previous post was deleted (haha to Palos).

SD. Getting job with recruiters, temp or direct placement, is relatively a numbers game. The more companies you are registered with, the better chance that you have. So, call some recruiters, see which ones you are comfortable with and set up face-to-face interviews. You will have to spend time talking with them, taking their tests, etc. However, you never know which one will pan out for you.

Also, put your resume online at sites like Monster.com, job.com, indeed.com, etc. The more presence you have, the more likely you will get a call.

On your resume, be sure to show which softwares/skills you used for your previous work. For instance,
Maintained 1,000 customer database comments and contact information using MS Access.
Five years is some experience, but, not a whole lot – overall speaking. So, you may be looking at an entry level position.

Hope this helps some. Just stay positive and keep your head up. You seem to have an upbeat attitude, just don’t let anyone tell you differently. If you start doubting yourself, write down your attributes and strengths and make those your points in interview.
Also, write out what needs improvement – and have answers for those in interview, but ALSO – find answers for yourself on how you can improve on those.

Hope this helps. Good Luck !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Helper in Rock Hill, South Carolina

90 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Kelly Services? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Get a referal from someone at the site you're interested in otherwise you may end up in a pool of applicants

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Here's the rest:

5) Stay positive !! If you have a job for two years - temp or not, you have that 2 yrs experience. A positive, confident attitude can take you miles.
6) Be open, but cautious, with other agency offers. Look at monster.com for interview/resume tips. Always research a company before you interview.
Hope this helps. Best of luck. Write again with questions.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.