Worse Company Ever

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 103)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

laura in Redwood City, California

88 months ago

I was not happy at my current job, however, it was not so bad were I needed to jump ship immidiatly. Kelly Financial promised me a position at Clorox as a Payroll Admin, with a promising future. I met the Kelly Recruiter at a coffee shop because he was so desperate to place me. Not realzing the scam.... They have a in house Kelly recruiter onsite at Clorox, and they bring people in left and right. I lasted 2 days, and was asked to leave with no explanation at all. They never contacted me, except I used my maiden name on my new resume and they called me for the same frigin job, not realizig who I was. This company is a Joke!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (163) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

Doug in Lansing, Michigan

88 months ago

Boy Al in Il., obviously you yourself dont have much more to do than those of us over 50. Didnt know this sight had resident critics, or is that your job. A couple of us pointed out the spelling, maybe it even helped her Al! I've dealt with Kellys and they can be hard to deal with. But who likes whiners Al?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (62) Reply - Report abuse

Vi in VA in Portsmouth, Virginia

88 months ago

I'm with you Al, Doug and Marie are jerks! Back to the topic at hand, I would like to add that I had great experiences with Kelly Services. I worked for Kelly Services from 1999 to 2003. I was fresh out of college when I began temping with Kelly Services. However, I didn't have enough real world work experience to land a decent paying job. In the beginning, I worked several short-termed temp positions at a variety of companies. For example, hospitals, insurance agencies, property management companies, banks, as well as one or two industrial type facilities. The final one was to last for only six weeks. Well, the six weeks turned into six months and the six months turned into three years with a wonderful non-profit organization in the area. This opportunity turned out to be a great stepping stone to the type of work I'm currently involved in. One thing you have to keep in mind when temping is that it is what it is... TEMPORARY! One thing to do when they are not calling you with other positions is to go out and get yourself registered at a few other temp agencies in your area. This way when one is not calling with other opportunities you can let the others know that you are available. I found this most helpful in the times when Kelly Services didn't have any work available. Believe me, I was not the easiest person to place either. I was inexperienced, did not have a car, totally dependent upon mass transportation to get anywhere, and BROKE AS A JOKE!!! My advice, just hang in there. The right opportunity will come along.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Ria in Reno, Nevada

87 months ago

Hi

I just happen to browse this site by chance & I read all these remarks about accounttempts & Kelly financial services. I just did a skill test last week with account temps but after reading everybody's comments I don't think I have to look forward to a call from them. Now I have a skill test for a particular opening with kelly financial service tomorrow do u think I am wasting my time going there.
Thank you
Ria

laura in Redwood City, California said: I was not happy at my current job, however, it was not so bad were I needed to jump ship immidiatly. Kelly Financial promised me a position at Clorox as a Payroll Admin, with a promising future. I met the Kelly Recruiter at a coffee shop because he was so desperate to place me. Not realzing the scam.... They have a in house Kelly recruiter onsite at Clorox, and they bring people in left and right. I lasted 2 days, and was asked to leave with no explanation at all. They never contacted me, except I used my maiden name on my new resume and they called me for the same frigin job, not realizig who I was. This company is a Joke!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

BF Rochester in Rushville, New York

87 months ago

Ria in Reno, Nevada said: Hi

I just happen to browse this site by chance & I read all these remarks about accounttempts & Kelly financial services. I just did a skill test last week with account temps but after reading everybody's comments I don't think I have to look forward to a call from them. Now I have a skill test for a particular opening with kelly financial service tomorrow do u think I am wasting my time going there.
Thank you
Ria

I would go and take the test if it is not a big inconvience especially if you need experience at these tests. You may get lucky and be offered a job. In any case, do not count on it. Keep looking forwards not backwards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

michiganjobblank in Davisburg, Michigan

87 months ago

Folks, always remember Kelly is a staffing temp agency and you have to take it for what it's worth -- a paying opportunity that has a slim chance to lead to something direct-hire. I made this mistake with my first staffing company opportunity for a marketing position. I figured it had to go direct if I hung in there. Well, it wasn't contract to see if I fit, it was to fill a short-term need, never anything more. I was called on a Saturday morning and advised that "yesterday was you last day". I was 14 hours short of a week's paid vacation --worked almost 12 months to the day. Planned termination? Of course it was! So, with contract companies, take advantage of the opportunity and keep churning out resumes! Kelly is one of the more professional agencies out there but still plays the "contract game" like pros. Work it like you wont be there long and you wont be disappointed. I know people who have been contract with Kelly for 5+ years and are paid well! I wouldn't wait around that long but to each is own. It's something to reinforce your resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

oogleslagel in Cedar Park, Texas

87 months ago

Doug in Lansing, Michigan said: Boy Al in Il., obviously you yourself dont have much more to do than those of us over 50. Didnt know this sight had resident critics, or is that your job. A couple of us pointed out the spelling, maybe it even helped her Al! I've dealt with Kellys and they can be hard to deal with. But who likes whiners Al?

Doug, Looks like you passed spelling but failed punctuation. I see you don't use the apostrophy very well. If you are over 50 like I am, you'd understand everyone makes mistakes. Dontcha know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Canyon Lake, Texas

87 months ago

South West Business Center of San Antonio is the worst place to work: The managers are more like prison wardens,you can't eat at your desk,no radio,either no work or major manditory overtime (weekends)managers have Favorites if your not one don't expect to move up,get any special projects and you get wonderful write-ups for no reason,no cell phones at desk nor can you have it except in break room. THIS COMPANY MICRO-MANAGES MAJORLY!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

someone in New Jersey in Weehawken, New Jersey

86 months ago

WOW! I can not believe the petty bull crap that I've just read! To Doug and Marie, tell me does it make you feel better about yourself to put someone down because they are not as strong of a speller then you are? Are you so miserable about your life that you need to come on to this web site and look for fault in other people? For someone who is in their "50's" or older sure do act like someone who's in Pre-K! Grow up not everyone in this world is a perfect speller, but that doesn't mean they don't have just as much right to get the best job they can. I thought this was a web sit for discussion about a Temp Agency not a discussion Forum about Spelling and Grammar. GET A LIFE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Your own merits in Brooklyn, New York

86 months ago

There are many agencies so it is wise not to depend on just one agency. I suggest applying on line to as many websites as possible. Certainly, the job market is tight but if you are marketable you will receive feedback. I can suggest contacting the company yourself that way you may get the interview on your own merits. I'm not here to comment on anyone's grammar only to offer some advice, becuase being unemployed is NO JOKE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Lansing, MI

86 months ago

Temp. jobs are tough enough without going in uninformed about the parameters of the job. I signed on as a driver through an agency, but while waiting around for driving assignments at a client's office, was actually put on a computer & phone and told to make telesales calls ! I said no thanks, went back to the agency, and they never called me again ! There is little respect, and poor support by placement agencies, including the major big name ones. I may just skip future B.S., and drive a truck f/t for what's left of my work days. As a fifty-something, with degrees in Business and Education, I find that a pathetic reality in this dysfunctional country where people are thrown away like trash. It will cause our demise as a nation, throwing away talent that could contribute 10 or more years past when they are kicked to the curb !!!If you're not invested as part of the "group", why care about the future of the "group" ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Job Seeker in Spring, Texas

86 months ago

Mike in Lansing, MI said: As a fifty-something, with degrees in Business and Education, I find that a pathetic reality in this dysfunctional country where people are thrown away like trash. It will cause our demise as a nation, throwing away talent that could contribute 10 or more years past when they are kicked to the curb !!!If you're not invested as part of the "group", why care about the future of the "group" ?

You are so right in your assessment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

State Employment Worker in Millbury, Ohio

86 months ago

Please do not judge my spelling, and I am well over 50 (reference some of the above comments).

There are some companies, that use temporary agencies, and the only way to get your foot in the door is through a temp agency. Are some people abused, of course they are, but I know a few companies that hires a "temp" after a satisfactory probation period. Ask around and find out where the temp agency places their people and what is the likelihood of getting hired full time. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Piscataway, New Jersey

86 months ago

Kelly also screwed me out of vacation pay! They changed the policy right before my one year anniversery. They lied to me from the beginning telling me it was a "temp to perm" position but the client had a policy prohibiting the direct hire of contract workers. Kelly fired me by email on a Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend. Avoid Kelly! Kelly will treat you worst than a postitute working for a pimp!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Angry Guy In London in Guelph, Ontario

85 months ago

Kelly Services, as I have said before are useless.

It's much better to collect unemployment insurance rather than working as a temp having that carrot dangled in front of you. Why? Because at least if you're on EI/UI you can still look for a REAL job.

Kellys will put you out at a place and say "its temp to perm, they'll hire you after 3 months". They only tell you that so you'll work even harder. Don't buy it for a second. If you reach four months and there's still no talk of you being hired, QUIT.

Walk out and don't go back. Because if your temp to perm still hasn't turned into permanent work after that long, it never will. Trust me, I've been through it all. Been though every temp service here in London and I know all the tricks that the companies, and the agencies play.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

M H in Bronx, New York

85 months ago

Kelly is useless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

FDH in Lake Bluff, Illinois

85 months ago

I had two full time offers, but got a temp offer near home and the location was def. ideal. I kept getting fed bull about how "eventually i would be doing this type of work, when i get full time".. low and behold, i found out that the company wouldnt even hire me full time because my GPA wasn't high enough, which is funny because they knew my GPA when i was hired.. hmm.. anyways i tried to put in my two weeks notice, and instead i was let go on the spot.. i tried to talk to my Kelly "representative" and she would not pick up my calls or respond to my emails.. i just wanted them to know that i put in my two weeks, and i was trying to show that respect..

anyways, the fact of the matter is that temp jobs are there to fill in until you find a permanent job.. companies will treat you like dirt.. because they have no obligation to you.. but i agree, if you take a temp-perm job, in hopes that you find a permanent job, and you dont get offered one after 4 months.. then forget it and MOVE on!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

You should not have given 2 weeks notice. They won't give you a reference anyway. Don't even list them on your resume!

Yes, companies looking to hire temps WILL LIE AND LIE AND LIE! They will "pretend" you are being considered when they are really looking for someone else with a different background, etc., etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

Well, it wasn't contract to see if I fit, it was to fill a short-term need, never anything more. I was called on a Saturday morning and advised that "yesterday was you last day". I was 14 hours short of a week's paid vacation --worked almost 12 months to the day. Planned termination? Of course it was!

They are as sleazy as they come -- agencies. They will LIE AND ABUSE YOU. Do not count on them for finding you a job! They don't care about you -- you are simply a "resource" and "commodity" to be used and spit out.

I wonder if you have some legal grounds to insist they pay you the vacation? I would highly suggest you contact an attorney who would give you a free consultation!

Kelly is just as sleazy as the next!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

Do you all realize that you CAN COLLECT UNEMPLOYMENT IF A TEMP AGENCY LETS YOU GO? The stupid thing is the employment agency makes you call in once a week to the SAME FRICKING AGENCY -- but so what? They won't answer your calls but you WILL get unemployment if you are qualified.

FILE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT if a temp agency "CUTS YOU OFF."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

You have a perfectly legitimate excuse then to tell your next employer why you left -- it was AN UNSAFE AND DANGEROUS environment.

Kelly will refer any calls for references to their main headquarters who will ONLY GIVE dates of employment, titles, pay rates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Laurie in Spring, Texas

85 months ago

I worked for Kelly who was onsight at an oil and gas firm. I lasted 4 months as a temp then was hired on by the company. After getting hired I was responsible for aquiring temps for our dept. Kelly never sent me qualified candidates and they must have the largest database ever! I only got to see resumes of people who "just signed up". That's how I got placed, I just signed up and was called that same week for the assignment. They meet soooo(sp) many people, they can never remember a particular person, their skill set and character. Whatever!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kelly isn't the survival job place in SHREVEPORT, Louisiana

85 months ago

Al in Bloomington, Illinois said: I don't understand some people who come to these sites sometimes. Most people can give you a feel for how it is to work at certain companies; however, some people seem to visit these sites with their only intention being to ridicule others for misspelling a word or two. I mean really, you aren't contributing anything to the discussion other than pointing out that you are over 50 and out of work, thank you for your keen insights. Do you have anything else to add to the discussion regarding Kelly Services, or do you want to keep pilling on this poor girl who had a bad experience with what seems to be a very bad company to work for?

WOW! THANKS I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT HARRAHS AND IRONICALLY I WENT THROUGH THE SAME THING. BUT SHE IS RIGHT ABOUT KELLY.
I know because I worked for Kelly in the bay area and recently came back to them in Louisiana. They did the same thing they hired 9 of us and we started the training class. The day before training class we were told our employment was contingent upon passing a test of what we learned in 4 days. Needless to say only 2 out of nine passed and it was the second time kelly had even found anything for me to do in two years I have lived in shreveport. This happed in January of 2007.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

This is the best quote I have heard all year and describes these temp agencies, remember put you first

"If you're not invested as part of the "group", why care about the future of the "group" ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

God's Creature to spread postive energy in SHREVEPORT, Louisiana

84 months ago

This is the best quote I have heard all year and describes these temp agencies, remember put you first

"If you're not invested as part of the "group", why care about the future of the "group" ?
You always pay yourself first and some must use a temp service as a survivial job so you have to adapt and use them like they would use you right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

God's Creature to spread postive energy in SHREVEPORT, Louisiana

84 months ago

Wow! if you think I am doing anything other then trying to help others then you are sadly mistaken. My concern is to have people beware of certain companies. It does matter whether you are looking for a survival job or a career. I thought the purpose of these discussions are to share your experiences and point of views and to keep others from making the same mistakes you did. Not for you to be judged or told you are the problem. We are all looking for better work and in an steady environment aren't we?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

maria in West Newton, Massachusetts

84 months ago

I just wanted to add my 2-cents to the temp stories.
My daughter started school, so i was able to a start full-time job. I went to one agency, was interviewed and offered a job. On monday morning, (start day) i received a phone call from the agency that they already filled the position.
Second agency - i was hired for accounting -clecial-( my field) i was very excited. ( it was really a collection job)))
i quit than also they treated me terrible- i should give 2-weeks etc. its not prof- that really cracked me up. They lied to me about the position. Then they are complaining to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Patches

84 months ago

BT in Las Vegas, Nevada said: As soon as I moved to Vegas I was totally broke and desperate for work, so I made the big mistake of going to Kelly. They hooked me up with a job at the Welfare office... which was the worst job I've ever had in my life. It was such an unsafe place to work--there was like gang bangers coming in there all the time and the security guard was 90 years old. . .

You and I are singing the same song. I am over 50 myself. I have never run into so many creepy places to work in my life. The first job had a good hourly wage then when I started it was "oh by the way, we don't pay until 2 weeks after the pay period ends. You have to work a full month just to get 2 weeks pay we always run behind" I quit that day.

Job 2 - a couple than run their own business holler and yell at their staff. Call employee's dumb, stupid, slow and retarded behind their backs. The staff refuses to speak with "newbies" my seat ended up being a chair in the hallway that lead to a warehouse. I had to move my chair whenever staff went in out and out. My hours were supposed to be 7:30 - 4:00 they ended up 10:00 - 6:00. After working with computers for 15 years and customer service my training consisted of looking over someone's should while they used the keyboard. After being hollered at along with another employee I told the boss she has zero people skills and I was not putting up with her screaming anymore. I lasted 5 days. I had to file a complaint just to get my check.

Job 3 - violated labor laws up one side and down the other. Nice staff, but Tracy is a witch, as soon as someone's back was turned Tracy put a knife in it - I quit today. I have another job lined up, I stayed on in order to give a proper notice - my mistake, I have to wait until September for the next job to begin. Vegas people are cruel to outsiders

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Susan Smith in Hinsdale, Illinois

84 months ago

Doug in Lansing, Michigan said: Boy Al in Il., obviously you yourself dont have much more to do than those of us over 50. Didnt know this sight had resident critics, or is that your job. A couple of us pointed out the spelling, maybe it even helped her Al! I've dealt with Kellys and they can be hard to deal with. But who likes whiners Al?

Give me a break Doug... talk about someone with WAY too much time on his hands... lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Patches

84 months ago

I worked for place that didn't allow a lunch hour you worked straight through 8 hours no lunch - a 10 minute break only, no beverage at the counter.

Most companies allow coffee or tea at your desk unless your in direct contact with the public, but, I do notice cashiers have bottled water.

It's healty to have some to rehydrate your body on during the day.

I have learned a lot in the last two months after working at awful places in Las Vegas, in September I am starting at a national company which should be better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pflower in Salinas, California

84 months ago

Love all the comments here. Only thing to add is that: the non-temp working situations are pretty much this bad too. Be suspect of any position opening. Why is it open? Is it an awful gig? Is it a position set up to fail? Is it a position set up to take flack from all sides but have no recourse whatsoever? Is it run by morons? Cynical answer to all these questions: Of course, this is why people go for the paycheck and walk around through life like zombies with nice cars.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

resident spellchecker in Jacksonville, Florida

83 months ago

...ummm should that be "site?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Steph in Phoenix, Arizona

83 months ago

I'm not a big fan of temp agencies...they really don't seem to care what your interests or skills are but just are interested in placing you somewhere so they can get their cut.

Over a year ago, I went through the temp agency process and had an interview with a nonprofit organization (who shall remain nameless). My interview with the marketing VP went well and a couple of days latter I was called in to talk to the CEO. He proceeded to ridicule my resume and experience and the fact that I had lived on both coasts...I just took him for a jealous loser, thanked him for his time and left.

The temp agency called to tell me that I didn't get the job(big surprise, and a real relief). The person at the temp agency then started in on me, asking me what did I say, what did I do during the interview. I explained to her what happened and she made it sound like it was my fault. I can assure you all it wasn't.

Temp agencies are for *bleep*. You are truly better off doing the job hunting yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

outsidergirl in Albia, Iowa

83 months ago

Al in Bloomington, Illinois said: I don't understand some people who come to these sites sometimes. Most people can give you a feel for how it is to work at certain companies; however, some people seem to visit these sites with their only intention being to ridicule others for misspelling a word or two. I mean really, you aren't contributing anything to the discussion other than pointing out that you are over 50 and out of work, thank you for your keen insights. Do you have anything else to add to the discussion regarding Kelly Services, or do you want to keep pilling on this poor girl who had a bad experience with what seems to be a very bad company to work for?

I hate to say it, but not everyine visiting this site is out of work. Another point I should make is that employesr want literate employees;so these posters are actualy pointing out something that may help those who need it. All of mispell words occasionally but it is unprofessional to do so in the performance of ones job. I get poorly spelled emails all the time both personal and professional. I would not hire someone to do my correspondence if they couldn't spell and it is unrealistic to ask any company to do hire someone who can't spell if it is a job where this is important. In many jobs it isn't. But come on,office jobs? You got to at least use the spellcheck. I by the way am self employed and under 50.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

outsidergirl in Albia, Iowa

83 months ago

Ken in Denver, Colorado said: You have a perfectly legitimate excuse then to tell your next employer why you left -- it was AN UNSAFE AND DANGEROUS environment.

Kelly will refer any calls for references to their main headquarters who will ONLY GIVE dates of employment, titles, pay rates.

By law, they are told they can only give that information and not any assessment of your job performance. This is to protect them in case they say anything negative about you and you choose to sue them over it. Unfortunately this hurts the good employees. I do have a letter of reccomendation from Kelly Services in my portfolio though. I truly appreciate it as this is a rarity indeed. I agree that most assignments through Kelly will not result in full time employment; this is especially true if you are older. Age discrimination is alive and well in America and I have noticed a real trend to preferring foreigners over Americans for those good jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yeah in Central Islip, New York

83 months ago

In reading these comments gotta love the "ex-spelling bee champs" and "english majors" flex their condescending muscle proof reading everyone. Forums are so informal lighten up damn!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tazgirl in Pennsauken, New Jersey

83 months ago

Hi, about accountemp and kelly service, I had no problem with these two agencies, Kelly service did a great job in finding me a job years ago, they were so friendly toward me. well I am hearing impaired myself and they did a great job without discrimation... I am impressed with them, and about accountemp, wow another one one day after I applied that job, accountemp called at my house, they knew I am deaf, and asked me for the resume and emailled to him. I will let you know if I am lucky to get that job. So I will wait for him. There are more jobs around here, mostly in eastern part of Pennsylvania.. I know about over 50 and some of them wont hire.. My husband is over 40 and had problem getting job because of his age, and I feel it is not right to do that so... we have 4 children and I am on Social Security and I have to work to support our family... thanks to Bush for sending all money to Iraqi people when we need the most.... not them.... damn Bush that is why I never vote him two times...
So I really dont have problem with Kelly Services... as far as I know...
I will keep post if any problems appears in the near future...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Talor in Las Vegas, Nevada

83 months ago

I was employed by kelly, they a gave me a decent job at Nike unloading trucks for 10 an hour. I worked for 5 days and only got paid for four. When I complained they told me they would help but never got back to me. Weeks later I'd talked to a manager who first made sarcastic remarks, and then got loud and unprofessional on the phone. So I just hanged the phone up in frustration. If they would had made a real effort to see that I did work I would have been fine with not getting paid, but they did a halfass job, and then made me look like I was to trying to get paid for work I didn't do. When I worked hard unloading trucks in over hundred degree weather and then worked in there back room with the heat on. Then after smart remarks they decided to pay me for half a day, which felt like an insult.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Houston, Texas

80 months ago

Feel free to post a complaint at www.AmericasWorstEmployers.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

79 months ago

Patches said: I worked for place that didn't allow a lunch hour you worked straight through 8 hours no lunch - a 10 minute break only, no beverage at the counter.

That is illegal. You should have filed a complaint with the Labor Board. They would have had to pay you and perhaps a large fine too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

hazelthecat in Newton, Massachusetts

77 months ago

Sounds just like Accounttemps and Spherion so I guess they are pretty much all the same. I have worked for temps but most of these situations never led to anything, gave me much in the way of marketable skills that I did not already have from my education, and left me feeling taken advantage of and used like yesterday's garbage. I pray I don't have rely on them anytime soon!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

77 months ago

Then after smart remarks they decided to pay me for half a day, which felt like an insult.

That is ILLEGAL in every state. Contact your state's employment board.
You might even be able to recoup up to THREE TIMES what they did not pay you for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

John Grant in Eagle Mountain, Utah

76 months ago

Anne in Colorado,

Your assertion that “temp agencies” are a turn off because you have applied to many of them and yet they never call you, despite your ample qualifications, is on its very face ridiculous. Staffing agencies only make money if they place someone in a job. Obviously, the more qualified the person, the more likely that person will work out and the client will be happy. Happy clients then send you more jobs to fill. If you have not been contacted by any of the agencies you applied to, then you are not well qualified. The painful reality is likely that you are completely unqualified.

Based simply on your comments and my 10+ years of recruiting, I would guess that you are a job hopper (someone who can’t keep a job for more than 6 months and who goes often 6 months to a year in between jobs). It is also likely that you have a felony or misdemeanor conviction in the past 7 years.

Staffing agencies (temp agencies are almost extinct) are used by companies to weed out unqualified candidates and reduce to a handful the number of qualified candidates they need to interview. They also eliminate for the company the headache of bringing on a new employee, only to find out the employee has major issues that interfere with their ability to do the job. When a company hires someone on a “contingent” basis, they have an opportunity to confirm that the person will indeed work out, without the burden and headache of having to pay unemployment if the person ends up not being a fit. This may seem to the job seeker as just an easy way to get rid of people and the job seeker would be right. But get used it; its not going away and its getting much more popular.

As for how much the agency makes off of placing you in a job, it is important to note that only a small portion of that markup is profit. The majority of it goes to paying high unemployment insurance, federal, state and local payroll taxes and the overhead of running their offices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Suzanne in Denver, Colorado said: Do you all realize that you CAN COLLECT UNEMPLOYMENT IF A TEMP AGENCY LETS YOU GO? The stupid thing is the employment agency makes you call in once a week to the SAME FRICKING AGENCY -- but so what? They won't answer your calls but you WILL get unemployment if you are qualified.

FILE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT if a temp agency "CUTS YOU OFF."

Suzanne makes a very important point. One of the reasons that companies hire through staffing agencies is that they have the flexibility of firing the employee at any time without having to pay unemployment. The staffing agency, however, does have to pay and they pay a lot each month to whatever state they are in. When you collect unemployment, it isn't the state that is paying it. The former employer (in this case the staffing agency) pays the state and the state pays you. If the employer contests your claim, you will have to go to court (usually this is done over the phone) and make your case that you were not legitimately fired. In most cases, the judge will take your side, but you should always have as much documentation as you can get your hands on. Keep copies of all of your performance evaluations, disciplinary documents and even the original job description in the add you applied to. The burden is on the employer to prove that you were not doing your job properly, that they warned you several times, and that it was the same problem every time. If you can show any inconsistency in their claims, you will be awarded unemployment.

FYI - you can earn some money every month and still get your unemployment. Check with your state unemployment office to find out how much you can earn without loosing some or all of your unemployment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

hazelthecat in Newton, Massachusetts said: Sounds just like Accounttemps and Spherion so I guess they are pretty much all the same. I have worked for temps but most of these situations never led to anything, gave me much in the way of marketable skills that I did not already have from my education, and left me feeling taken advantage of and used like yesterday's garbage. I pray I don't have rely on them anytime soon!!!

Hazel,

I'd like to refer you back to what Vi in VA said 11 months ago.

...One thing you have to keep in mind when temping is that it is what it is... TEMPORARY!...

I'm with you, that it would be best to not have to rely on staffing agencies. There are far more advantages to the employer than there are for the employee when a staffing agency gets involved. However, more and more companies are depending on staffing agencies. This is primarily because the internet has made it so easy for people to apply for a job that most companies are overwhelmed by the number of resumes they receive. A staffing agency weeds through the resumes and provides the client with a handful of qualified candidates.

THERE WAS A BIG FLAG IN YOUR COMMENT though. You said that the experience didn't give you anything you hadn't already learned in school. YOU MISSED THE POINT ENTIRELY. Experience is far more important than an education. Companies are less interested in what you know and far more interested in what you've done. Short as your experiences may have been, they gave you MARKETABLE SKILLS that have increased your ability to command a higher wage. Anyone who tells you differently is a professor at a university and he or she is just trying to justify their job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Now that you have justified your background, John, please expound on why recruiters lie to candidates, renege on their promises to candidates, deceive candidates about their fees and are just plain rude to candidates.

Just to let you know, until I lost my job I had a stable work record in my field. I had two employers in more than ten years of steady employment in that field. I've already heard that I wasn't dealing with any "good" recruiters.

Displaced in Denver,

I don't have to justify my background, nor will I insult you by defending an industry that is often heartless and mercenary. There are many staffing agencies that give the industry a bad name. I personally worked for one of them. Recruiters who lie and deceive do so because that is who they are. Recruiters who treat job seekers with respect and honesty do so because that is who they are. Recruiters are people and you will find good ones and bad ones just as you will in any industry.

My recommendation to you with regards to recruiters, as it would be with any one offering you a job, is that you get it in writing. If they won’t do you the courtesy of that, then I would walk away and never do business with that recruiter or employer ever again. I would also make a point of explaining that to that person's boss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: One more item that begs for your justification, John. Recruiters' use of false job ads.

Displaced,

That is unfortunately a necessary evil. Most companies will wait until they are desperate before they will pay a staffing agency's fees. As a result, they expect you will provide them with qualified candidates to choose from immediately. If you don’t, they will go to your competitor. Staffing agencies live or die based on a steady candidate flow. However, the recruiter should do you the courtesy of telling you that there is not currently a position available.

It may be helpful to think of a staffing agency a search agent on Careerbuilder or Monster. You give them your resume. You update or refresh it regularly and then down the road you may get a call. In the meantime, if you see something that interests you, you contact them and let them know you’re interested. If you’re qualified, and if the job posting is legitimate, they will move forward with you – guaranteed!

One other observation. Staffing agencies are frequently told by a client that a job is coming that never materializes. A contentious recruiter will start looking for candidates regardless, so that they are ready when the client pulls the trigger. Another necessary evil in a highly competitive industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

John Grant in Eagle Mountain, Utah said: Displaced,

That is unfortunately a necessary evil. Most companies will wait until they are desperate before they will pay a staffing agency's fees. As a result, they expect you will provide them with qualified candidates to choose from immediately. If you don’t, they will go to your competitor. Staffing agencies live or die based on a steady candidate flow. However, the recruiter should do you the courtesy of telling you that there is not currently a position available.

It may be helpful to think of a staffing agency a search agent on Careerbuilder or Monster. You give them your resume. You update or refresh it regularly and then down the road you may get a call. In the meantime, if you see something that interests you, you contact them and let them know you’re interested. If you’re qualified, and if the job posting is legitimate, they will move forward with you – guaranteed!

One other observation. Staffing agencies are frequently told by a client that a job is coming that never materializes. A contentious recruiter will start looking for candidates regardless, so that they are ready when the client pulls the trigger. Another necessary evil in a highly competitive industry.

Sorry about that. Poor spelling skills. That should have said a conscientious recruiter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said:

I have had other recruiter experiences. My wife has had her experiences. We have enough recruiter experiences between us for me to know they are a complete and utter waste of time, that they are baloney and to never, ever deal with them.

I do appreciate your candor.

And I appreciate the extraordinary run of bad luck you have had with recruiters.

As for the issue of being charged by a recruiter, if the employer fires you, this is indeed irregular but not unheard of. The motivation on the part of the agency is to protect themselves from their own misguided choice of offering the client an extended guarantee. However, it ultimately comes down to the agency either pointing out to you that their client cannot be trusted, or that they want you to pay for their inability to do their job correctly. Either way, only a fool would sign such a contract.

Finally, as I said before, the industry has more than its share of heartless individuals. Some would say that its because staffing agencies get screwed by the customer and the contractor so often that they are bound to loose sight of what they should be doing...helping good people find great jobs. I disagree. I think they get screwed because they get greedy. They stop listening to their gut about untrustworthy clients and unreliable contractors and they end up getting burned. And instead of learning their lesson, they blame their problems on everyone else.

Anyway, staffing agencies aren't for everyone. Your experiences may be a sign that you and staffing agencies don't mix. Best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Continued from above....

I don't think that practice is as irregular as you may think. Just look at this Better Business Bureau piece on agencies. I think you will appreciate its discussion.

www.bbb.org/Alerts/article.asp?ID=268

Once again, thanks for your candor, but I think I'll just apply to employers directly.

Thank you for pointing this article out. There is some very valuable advice there. However, I don't see anything there that contradicts anything I have already said. Either way, best of luck with your job search. Our conversation has been very enlightening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.