What's the company culture at Liberty Mutual?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Liberty Mutual?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Liberty Mutual?

Reply - Report abuse

Burned by LM in Dover, New Hampshire

86 months ago

My husband had a terrible experience working for Liberty Mutual. He was working 12 hour days (after being told it was a 37.5 hour work week) and expected to come in on the weekends.His boss was borderline verbally abusive. We have neighbors who work for them too, and they work VERY long hours, including many weekends.
We were also shocked that their benefits weren't very good. Since my husband left, we keep hearing of other people who have had terrible experiences.
I did hear that the Portsmouth office is a much friendlier environment than Dover.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Former in Dallas, North Carolina

86 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Liberty Mutual?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Liberty Mutual?

Majority of the employees I worked with were very nice and helpful; however, my manager's blatant show of favoritism for particular employees caused me to leave the company. While working for Liberty, it seemed hard to develop a career-path within the company. Many of the positions I was interested in were located in different cities too far from my home. I recommend people who are conservative and use to working on software that is 10 to 15 years old, should apply for a position at Liberty Mutual.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Portsmouth Office in Kittery, Maine

86 months ago

Liberty Mutual is very conservative and very traditional, in terms of growth, progress and values. People are afraid to "rock the boat" in regards to any grievances, hence a strong undercurrent of frustration. Hard to watch good, talented people miserable every day.
If all you want is a paycheck and don't care about environment or growth, then by all means, check them out. They are definitely not employee focused- and upper management is about as political as it gets.
I echo the other author's comments on benefits- they are really not very good. But, something is better than nothing.
The biggest plus to working at Liberty in Portsmouth is that you are right on the coast. That is their carrot, and it seems to work well for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

tburges1@maine.rr.com in Wells, Maine

42 months ago

Burned by LM in Dover, New Hampshire said: My husband had a terrible experience working for Liberty Mutual. He was working 12 hour days (after being told it was a 37.5 hour work week) and expected to come in on the weekends.His boss was borderline verbally abusive. We have neighbors who work for them too, and they work VERY long hours, including many weekends.
We were also shocked that their benefits weren't very good. Since my husband left, we keep hearing of other people who have had terrible experiences.
I did hear that the Portsmouth office is a much friendlier environment than Dover.

What department was that in? I recently applied for a case manager RN position. I have a master's degree and have all the requirements. I interviewed but was not offered the job due to someone with more psych experience. I would love more information on the organization. I wouldn't want to put so much energy into pursuing that company if it was a bad experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.