How to get your you foot through the door at lockheed martin

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

newgrad in Chandler, Arizona

44 months ago

Hi. So i just graduated college with a Mechanical Engineering Degree and am now going back to obtain a Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering concentrating in Computational Fluid Dynamics. Ive applied at numerous jobs online for Lockheed Martin and also multiple times at Career Fairs that is held every year at my school but have never had any interviews. I don't have any real engineering experience which i why i have mostly applied for internships or co-ops but still no luck. When i graduated with my B.S degree, my a G.P.A slightly higher than 3.0, i have used a variety of CAD and FEA softwares and am certified in SolidWorks.I am also a certified Engineer in Training (E.I.T) and am pretty experineced in MATLAB and FORTRAN since that is all we use for the research im doing in CFD. Im not sure what other ppl think but i think i am qualified for some entry level positions (at least for a phone interview or something) but i have applied to many positions without any responses. I was wondering if anybody has any good ideas of what they're looking for any contacts that could help me at least get an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

eggy in Palmdale, California

44 months ago

A 3.0 gpa from UofA (I'm assuming that's where you went?) is not going to stand out. And that's probably you're problem- you may be "qualified" for an entry level position, but so are all those people from your program, CalTech, MIT, VaTech, GaTech, etc with higher GPAs, relevant internships and coops, NASA fellowships, etc.

Pretty much every engineering grad seems to be familiar with some CAD software (and they're never as good as they think they are), and have experience using FEA, CFD, and MATLAB. Being familiar with FORTRAN is a nice added little bonus that you see less an less of.

Beyond that though, what do you have to offer?

Times are rough, and defense is uncertain right now. But hiring is happening- the question everyone wondering why they are having trouble getting jobs / interviews is:

Why should a hiring manager be interested in me, based on my resume? What's going to make me stand out from those super smart kids that went to better schools, have better GPAs, won AIAA Design Build Fly and Forumula SAE, and had a kickass NASA fellowship? What can I do for them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

prettysmile320 in Dumfries, Virginia

43 months ago

Look, Lockheed isn't the company you think they are. I have worked for them for years and I am leaving. They talk a good game and on the surface they seem great but they are not. They have cut most of the employee benefits, they state they are about diversity and ethics and they are not. You are just a number to them and you better understand that coming in the door. If you are young, please know that you will be under paid and over worked and you better want to stay with them for 15 plus years if you want a real promotion or raise. Also, you will not have an increase in leave until after your 15th year of employment. They have been losing major contracts because they are not delivering on promises to both their employees and customers. They have not been keeping peoples clearances updated as they should and people have been let go and can not find new work because their clearances are all out of scope. If you are looking for a company that knows who they are working for, Lockheed Martin, is not that company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Toddie4usa1 in Fort Worth, Texas said: Also, it is quite untrue that you have to wait 15 years before your paid vacation status changes. I can tell you are angry but disseminating misinformation...

Um, so when do you think you get extra paid vacation days? Being in FW, I assume you're in aero- iirc, new hires start with 15 days, then after 15 years get an extra day per year up to 20.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Toddie4usa1 in Fort Worth, Texas

42 months ago

Eggy I am trying to figure out which business unit you are with, your other posts says you are in Palmdale but from your answer you seem to be with ISGS. I am not a new hire and i havent been here 15 years but i do get more than 15 days maybe its because of the shutdowns we have here.

Lets enjoy the conversation and not be argumentative =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Toddie4usa1 in Fort Worth, Texas said: Eggy I am trying to figure out which business unit you are with, your other posts says you are in Palmdale but from your answer you seem to be with ISGS. I am not a new hire and i havent been here 15 years but i do get more than 15 days maybe its because of the shutdowns we have here.

Lets enjoy the conversation and not be argumentative =)

I'm in aero in Palmdale. You may have more days off than 15, but the standard vacation package is 15 days until 15 years for salaried employees. I believe that's corporate standard. If you're executive management, I'd assume it's negotiable, and unions are subject to their contracts of course. I'd also assume that if you were part of another business that was acquired that they'd honor that. But none of that changes the standard policy (which has been in effect ~7 years iirc).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Eggy each year FW gets an additional 7 to 10 paid days off during the christmas holiday not sure if Palmdale does that Executives are different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Toddie4usa1 in Fort Worth, Texas said: Eggy each year FW gets an additional 7 to 10 paid days off during the christmas holiday not sure if Palmdale does that Executives are different.

We do get the days off in Palmdale as well- but you are incorrectly conflating holidays with vacation days. And no, it's not 7-10 days (unless you're counting weekends too, which *really* doesn't make any sense). It's something like 5 days off, to bring us up to the standard ~10 holidays most salaried people get in the US- the difference is we trade random days off during the year (President's day, Memorial Day, Labor day, etc) that other people get and lump them together during the year. It is NOT vacation days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Im going by the annual calendar this year we only have 7 days sad sad and you are correct my friend. Thanks for the heads up. See what reading all these posts can do to ones eye sight =)

42 months ago

Toddie4usa1 in Fort Worth, Texas said: Im going by the annual calendar this year we only have 7 days sad sad and you are correct my friend. Thanks for the heads up. See what reading all these posts can do to ones eye sight =)

I just pulled out my calendar- 6 days this year (23, 27-31). I did get the 'random' days we get off wrong- we also get New Years, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving, for a total of 11 paid holidays. i.e. the standard allotment of total days most salaried folks get. Next year, we get 9 days plus a floating holiday. (but again, all this is different than vacation).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

eggy in Palmdale, California said: I just pulled out my calendar- 6 days this year (23, 27-31). I did get the 'random' days we get off wrong- we also get New Years, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving, for a total of 11 paid holidays. i.e. the standard allotment of total days most salaried folks get. Next year, we get 9 days plus a floating holiday. (but again, all this is different than vacation).

Yup i think i counted some of the days i got for comp for working extra with JSF

Gator in Smyrna, Georgia

17 months ago

This is an old thread but I will weigh in for those that want an answer:

1. 3.2 GPA is required for all new grads. Is it possible to get in with less? Yes, but you better have some inside connection or RARE skill. 3.2 is the de facto minimum GPA for recruiting.
2. Lockheed actively recruits very few schools. There are 12 primary, meaning if you have a 3.2 and come from one of the 12 schools, you WILL get a first-round interview. They are not necessarily obvious schools either. Georgia Tech, University of Florida, Virginia Tech, MIT, Purdue, and Texas are those I can remember. These "primary" schools are not chosen solely on the caliber of the education, but because they have an established recruiting relationship. At UF, for example, Lockheed has a representative on the Industrial Advisory Board (IAB) that guides the Computer Engineering curriculum. A good sign is if your school hosts a career fair every year/semester and Lockheed has a major booth there with a good 10 recruiters. There are also a number of secondary schools that are recruited but not heavily and there are no guarantees.

On the rest of the conversation, I will say this: Lockheed is a fantastic place to launch a career, particularly in the heavy engineering areas. You will learn A LOT, and be given as much opportunity as you ask for (perhaps more). That said, if you "grow up" at Lockheed, you will work at a discount. After all, why would a company invest its resources in you (be it training programs, mentors, peer-to-peer training, etc) and not expect some ROI? My advice: once you have 4-5 years kicking butt at a place like Lockheed, pop over to another defense contractor or even the commercial sector. You will get a raise and, if you don't burn your bridges, Lockheed will re-hire you down the road if you desire (with another raise too). The pension is gone for new hires, so you have to champion your own career and plan for retirement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shiloh Litton in Salisbury, Maryland

17 months ago

Know somebody. My father works for them. Even with a ton of experience, he still had to know someone to get in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.