Getting in...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 196)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Lockheed Martin? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Ken Williams in Orlando, Florida

97 months ago

I have a backround in production control, six sigma, industrial engineering, production management and looking for employment. Any advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Phil Jones in Hurst, Texas

96 months ago

It's hard to get an interview even for qualified people in most parts of the country. Don't know why. That's the way it is. They have a huge database and HR software that picks resumes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jerry W. Jordan in Poulsbo, Washington

96 months ago

I have tried for going on 4 years to get anywhere with Lockheed. I think they'd be an amazing company to work for and my knowledge and skillset would fit with them well. However, in all that time I have never had even the slightest feedback. I'd like to point out that I have tried numerous avenues and have ahd no luck. It says something that they no longer even send out the automated "Thanks for Applying" emails.

My advice, give up on them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Daisy in Tampa, Florida

96 months ago

Thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MBlake in San Diego, California

96 months ago

I have experienced the very same scenario, not just with Lockheed but others as well such as Sony. Are they too big for their britches? The job description fits you, yet your skills are strong enough.

We take the time to submit your profile, resume, cover letter and setting up a job alert agent to hear nothing. Automation has done away with being personable in the hiring department. I call it "The Sounds of Silence"

I don't beleive in giving up, but after 4 years, I don't blame you. Sometimes large companies are not as stable as mid or small sized.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

I agree with you 100%. I am going to be 54 pretty soon and have worked since I was 17.

Time have really changed. The only thing about the change is the fact that we no longer have to physically "Pound the Pavement.

Yet, if you do and don't have a contat name or appointment you are not going to get anywhere.

I believe now they are only looking at us on paper, which does not really emphasize who you really are. especially the Credit check part.

Don't they realize we are attempting to find gainful employment? Jsut because we are older doesn't mean you can learn new technology. Not too much OJT anymore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

You should have called him on it. Here I go getting fired up! I do genuinely believe I have been discriminated against, yet cannot prove it. The Voluntary Identify yourself for government and tracking purposes " what year did you graduate?
I think it's crap, Not of Hispanic Origin, then on down the line

What does my identity and age have to do with my skills and experience.

I am a 54 year old Proud Nubian Queen, that description is not on the questionaire

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

caysee in Orlando, Florida

96 months ago

I agree I have also sent my resume and my cover letter into Lockheed for the past 4 years and nothing. It is a definitely who you know to get in the door. They use a resumix type system so as stated no human reads your cover letters or resumes. I was laid off last year and happen to be HR. My company didn't have a system so I read every cover letter and resume. Out of hundreds of hires I probably only had 2 bad hires, mostly due to someone else pushing it. I agree it is too bad the people aren't reading resumes anymore. I am trying to step out of management and since machines read my resume I go in the discard pile for everything I apply for as over-qualified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

I guess we are not using latest and greatest "buzz" words

Over-qualifed=an excuse not to pay you the salary you are worth, it also equals discrimination. I have told many If you are seeking someone you can pay less "Entry level" should be added to the job description abd those of us Qualified will not apply. Especially those that do not advise pay scale prior to meeting with you

96 months ago

you're right

Although he had no intentions of writing the LOR, he thought it would pacify you and make you think he was really concerned about your future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

Not necessarily, I truly believe they are looking for a minimum, yet depending on position Yes-Overqualified comes into play. Read the description clearly, check the company website prior to submitting a profile or resume'

I don't think over-qualified are rejected automatically (I don't think the resmix system can read into that).

I think they waste our time with the pre-screening call and then the face to face with the hiring manager to give you the benefit of the doubt, then advise of the low pay, knowing with your qualifications it will not be a financial fit for you.

Yes and No

I have found on several Executive/Administrative Assistant positions that want to work you like a dog and pay you pennies. In a large Beverage Bottling Company, I was offered 15 per hour.
I would be out on the street if I had accepted the position

I feel if you a salary range set, Stick To It! If you don't value yourself and your Experience, neither will "The Company"

Although unemployed, I am in a financial situation to gracefully decline those types of offers.

did I help?

Please advise

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

Speaking of "Word"

Your word is your bond. He lost his bond

Jennifer Olson in Baltimore, Maryland

96 months ago

I have had luck with Lockheed through head hunters. Alot of recruiters have direct contact with big companies. I am going on my second interview with this company and am very much looking forward to working with them as a contractor if I am chosen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

Great!
I feel like Ask Abby, not a bad feeling at all. Glad I could be of assistance.

I looked at the pay scale on Salary Wizard and I know I'm much more valuable than that. So I stick to my guns.

Don't forget "You get What you pay for" If you want quality you pay for it.

If they want to pay 30k for an Admin. Asst, what they get is a person with Tunnel Vision sitting in a box, who not go far and beyond the call of duty.

I wish you well!

96 months ago

Congratulations to you!!

I no longer get excited over 2nd or 3rd interviews. It now tells me this company or the hiring manager really don't know what they are looking for and its a waste of valuable time.

There is a difference in headhunters vs recruiting agencies.

Headhunters work for you and on your behalf and are paid based on a percentage of the salary. If offered a position, you are hired on direct.

Recruiters are paid by the company not you and all of the positions are temp to hire, time contraint of 6 months at last is direct. They are actaully working on some company sites on contract

96 months ago

One more thing,

With your legal expertise, have you ever thought about self employment? I believe you can do it.

Stop calling yourself Displaced. you have a computer, you can process briefings from home

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

I agree 100%. I avoid Recuiters like the plague that they are.

You right about their ads, the time wasted testing, no more contact and then they have the gall to run an ad Company Confidential. Yep, I let them know how I feel when they call saying they saw my resume on hot jobs or something

96 months ago

Right on, I agree about the regular income

96 months ago

You're absolutley right! Can't win for losing. Plus the position is temporary and most likely kess than the UI benefits

So why get yourself deeper in financial jeopardy

I agree, Great discussion Thanks to Lockheed we all learn a bit of something from the other

96 months ago

Register with jobsearch engines ie monster, direct employers et al. Create agents to recieve alerts via e-mail.

Focus on exactly waht you are looking for. Beware of Recruiting agencies! You can do this all on your own.

start your search around 6am, end around 10, that's enough time spent. Search the company website prior to submitting resume, never give out your SSN to any company requesting it on line. Go to their website, send an e-mail directly to HR along with your cover letter and resume

Frant in Baldwinsville, New York

96 months ago

Well, after 35+ years in Admin Ass't and having worked at Lockheed for 5 years (about 15 years ago - got laid-off), recently actually got an interview.... gave me all the buying signs, talked about what hours I could work, how flexible I am, when I could start, heads nodding when they saw my qualifications, wanted someone to start "yesterday"........bla bla - then never heard back. Sent out my "thank you notes" (5 of them). Personally, I find it ethically rude... especially when you keep on seeing new admin ass't job openings there on a weekly basis..... I wrote to the recruiter (employee of lockheed) and asked him whether these were real positions or if they just like to continually interview!!. I am highly qualified, exceeded their requirements - and didn't hear a word - I believe it's age - but you'll never get "discrimination" with a large company....never....they cover themselves. Things have certainly changed over the years..... very little respect. I'm not working right now - but suppose I took a vacation day to go on this interview because I worked for a small company..... not even a "thank you - but...." guess we're just not important enough....... almost wish I never got the interview. I'm to the point that any money I make is better than I'm making. After all these years of experience, certifications, etc..... I'm reduced to what I made 'too many' years ago. Very sad....

96 months ago

Don't be Sad, Be Strong

I have run into the same thing, go through the 30 min.telephone screening, get the interview, send out a Thank you letter and Nothng!
I too send Nastygrams, because I now I don't waste my time applying , sending Thank Letters or making contact with them.

If I do, its for kicks and giggles lol

And yes, in the continued search you will find the ad still posted or re-posted with a new date.

I now look at it like a revolving door situation, they can't keep anyone or the one they chose over "Us" Honest, Upfront and Qualified didn't work out. Why, Because I feel they lied about what they could provide the company and now the company is too ashamed to contact the truly Qualified Applicant.

Yet, we can still not prove discrimination

Emma in Stamford, Connecticut

96 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional said: I've already picked-up on all these steps. Thanks for the feedback.

Speaking of alerts; are you aware that Indeed offers email job alerts as well? When you do a job search on Indeed you'll see a line at the top of the results page asking you to save your search an an email job alert of rss feed. It's a great way to have the freshest listings sent directly to you.

Chinaski25 in Denver, Colorado

96 months ago

"I dislike it when an employer requires a pay range on the initial contact"
I saw this comment and just had to respond. I too dislike this practice and find it profoundly rude. I have been through many interviews over the last year and I think I figured out how to respond to that question. I always tell them I would like to hear more about the position and that my expected compensation depends on the overall package. And then I tell them that I don't like to discuss salary expectation so soon. I am thinking of changing my approach and asking what the salary range is.
The thing that really irritates me is how scripted all interviews are and how HR has moved into a level of rudeness that is usually reserved for DMV employees. Granted, I have been doing mostly phone interviews but no matter what company in what part of the country, the pattern is virtually the same. Very generic questions asked by an HR rep who then closes with salary expectations. When it is your turn to ask questions they generally have no answers to give you and when you attempt to follow up you get nothing. Considering that companies are looking very hard for talent and people are looking very hard for positions, it may be just a matter of time before HR professionals are forced to justify their existence and their salaries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

I agree! I try to avoid those the make it mandatory you send salary history. Like you say, its rude and the eyes are scanning to the bottom in an effort to find the salary you require and Bamm, you filed away.

Another thing that bothers me is the call, e-mail or the Thank You for applying letter "We chose another candidate and will keep you resume on file. I have told many, Although its the LAW, It is not necessary for you to do so.

HR, anyone can be HR.Its everyday life and they try to make it a semi-legal position. I don't even have HR credentials. But I'm not a conehead

96 months ago

Maybe not law, but required for them to do so.

Well, I had a meeting yesterday and was asked what salary range I was looking for. I advised them and of course they say you are well worth it.

Then the dreaded OVERQUALIFIED statement occurred.

Although in the Telephone Screening the salary was not capped.

Wow, what a waste of my time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah Hunter in Smithfield, Virginia

96 months ago

Jerry W. Jordan said: I have tried for going on 4 years to get anywhere with Lockheed. I think they'd be an amazing company to work for and my knowledge and skillset would fit with them well. However, in all that time I have never had even the slightest feedback. I'd like to point out that I have tried numerous avenues and have ahd no luck. It says something that they no longer even send out the automated "Thanks for Applying" emails.
My advice, give up on them.

I sent them a resume yesterday(11/09/2006)and got a thank you note today (11/10/2006) From the VA office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FDGilli in Seattle, Washington

96 months ago

I've been pursuing better employment for years, only to be told time & again, I was over qualified or worth more then they would pay. If you try for a lesser job then you are qual'd for, you look desperate or a know it all, a job your not qual'd for, you look foolish or lacking the knowldge required to determine if you are a solid canidate for yourself, so you then also look stupid.
Good advice given to me was, become (on your resume/application) a "JEP" "Just Enough to Pass"
You want to be qualified just enough to get the job, no less, no more.. which at least in my case, means leaving out certain quals/experience/duties which do not or would not apply to that job or more importantly, that job level. It takes time to tailor each app/res to suit the keywords listed in the job notification, but it will greatly increase your odds of beating the initial computer screen process & get your res/app into the hands of a real person somewhere down the line. Study the Federal Job Resume critera, even more detailed then resumix, since many of the really large companies, now use similar if not same pre-screen process's. By the time you get called for an interview or speak with a real humn, you have been screened many times by computer for a variety of skill sets, keywords, etc. The old style resume layouts do not work anymore, nor do long cover letters or Objective statements, unless they actually request such..it took me a long time to figure this one out, but once I did, my resume submission Co. acknowldgement replies, calls for interviews, etc, increased 300a Lockheed Martin nd I'm on the way to a state job next week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

So this is a tough crowd...conehead don't think I have ever been referred to that way. Yes I understand many individuals in HR give us all a bad name. Unfortunately most companies do have computer systems read resumes and if an actual human reads it, it is normally someone with 1 to 2 years experience in HR which means they totally do not know what they are doing and are by no means qualified to sort resumes. Salary ranges are tied to all job descriptions in most organizations and the idea is keep everyone in the first one third of that range. So when hiring, odds are, if you are out of the salary range for that particular position you may not be considered because of the incumbents in that same job position. If companies pay a new person walking in the door a higher salary it will create problems. Normally when I screened individuals I went over the position, the expectations, and gave them the salary range and asked them if they were willing to accept a postiion within that range. You never know why people apply unless you call and talk to them about where they are in their professional life. Also companies are not required by any law to inform candidates of their status. It is supposed to be done as a niceity (is that a word). It is required to keep resumes that were solicited on file for 1 year, but again with the computers that really makes it difficult and can depend on how the company defines an applicant.

96 months ago

I understand about not discussing salary that is always the policy of every company I know, but does it matter, not really. People are people and they are going to discuss who got what for a raise, and why they got more than so and so. It is just human nature. Rarely do I know of any situation when someone was fired for discussing their salary, legal offices are probably a little different. Your right about rejection letters. Unless the company has the computer system that "reads" the resumes and spits out a canned letter, it is hard to respond to every resume. I would have as many as 300 hundred responses to one job and yes I read them all. But it would have been difficult for me to send a letter to all of them. I did send letters to those I interviewed with the outcome of the process. There are plenty of astute HR people in the field, just like there are plenty of good lawyers. We all have to deal with the bad apples in our fields of expertise.

Friend in League City, Texas

96 months ago

MBlake said: Great!
I feel like Ask Abby, not a bad feeling at all. Glad I could be of assistance.
I looked at the pay scale on Salary Wizard and I know I'm much more valuable than that. So I stick to my guns.
Don't forget "You get What you pay for" If you want quality you pay for it.
If they want to pay 30k for an Admin. Asst, what they get is a person with Tunnel Vision sitting in a box, who not go far and beyond the call of duty.
I wish you well!
Maybe you would do better if you had better grammer when sending e-mails or responding to blogs. Just a thought.

96 months ago

That is my point!

96 months ago

The point that I spelled grammar incorrect was my point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

Look who's talking! Grammer? Are you talking about Kelsey? Look it up, its spelled Grammar

96 months ago

Whatever you say?

96 months ago

Thanks for the back up!!!

96 months ago

If you read the other messages you will understand my point. I was spelling grammar incorrect to get my point across. One must use the spell and or grammer checker that is supplied with most e-mail and word processing software.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

First of all there is only one "t" in cannot. Have you read your message before sending it or are you just trying to make fun of this? I'm not here to try and criticize anyone, just making suggestive comments about how things could be improved if they want to be better recognized in the job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

The bottom line is LM is a great place to work. I have worked for the for 11+ years. They respect the people who work for them and also work with them to ensure that both the employee and the company can get the most out of each other.

96 months ago

Friend said: The bottom line is LM is a great place to work. I have worked for the for 11+ years. They respect the people who work for them and also work with them to ensure that both the employee and the company can get the most out of each other.

Yes it should have read "I have worked for them" and not "I have worked for the"

96 months ago

Thank you and have a good thanksgiving day.

96 months ago

Whew! It was like an oven on the discussion line. Glad things have cooled off.

We're just trying to figure out how to get into LM, Its quite dificult to get any type of response, positive or negative.

Have A great Holiday Week! I'm off to Vegas for the Pigskin Tournament.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in DC in Oakton, Virginia

96 months ago

Most mid and large companies use job search software. You have to take their announcement and tailor each and every application to that announcement. These search engines run through and flag those that meet the search criteria. You can see out on the net the number of different software companies that sell these HR search solutions. The best approach but no guarantee is to send the resume through their engine. Put a cover letter at the beginning or end of your uploaded resume and cross your fingers. The locate the branch office in your area and go there in person or call and ask for who is in charge, ask for their phone or e-mail address, you’ll be surprised how many admin assts. will give out all kinds of information especially if you identify yourself as a college student working on a Masters’ thesis, etc.. I am also looking so good luck to us all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Luis in Albuquerque, New Mexico

96 months ago

MBlake said: I agree with you 100%. I am going to be 54 pretty soon and have worked since I was 17.
Time have really changed. The only thing about the change is the fact that we no longer have to physically "Pound the Pavement.
Yet, if you do and don't have a contat name or appointment you are not going to get anywhere.
I believe now they are only looking at us on paper, which does not really emphasize who you really are. especially the Credit check part.
Don't they realize we are attempting to find gainful employment? Jsut because we are older doesn't mean you can learn new technology. Not too much OJT anymore
I agree...except the very fact that you are now over 49 may have already done us in, and has nothing to do with what skills you could learn. Speaking from someone over 55 and still looking since July 2006.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tempo in Colorado Springs, Colorado

96 months ago

I worked for Lockheed up until 3 months ago. The comments I have read are somewhat true that computers scan the resume. So what chance have you? Well if you have the right words in your resume you have a chance. If you have a contact name, you have a chance. Remember its only a chance. These companies get 100's of resumes daily for positions. My advise contact the HR department if you can and see if they will look at the resume. Make sure it sells you and your skills. Most resumes I have seen are general in nature. You must sell why you should get the chance over the other 100 or so people. By the way Lockheed Martin is an excellent company that cares about its employees. Good Luck! Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Homer in Hayward, California

96 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional said: .. I was asked if I knew the airline's writing software. I did not, ..

That's what you get when HR coneheads are trying to fill positions they don't know squat about. They are unable to consider similar software as relevant, nor are they able to assess the time required to train a new hire.

Mblake in San Diego, California

96 months ago

In response to sofware packages industry related or not, they are all similar and change from 1 version to the next in the blink of an eye.

That question should have been asked prior to the face to face and wasting your time.What are they looking for a travel agent? You can still call the airline direct or use the internet.

I had heard of SAP, never laid hands on it until a few months ago.

No, it was not in the job description, but they gave me an opportunity to work with another AA who was a pro at it. I had a 4 hour crash course and she gave great reviews to others on how fast I caught on.

A program is a program, I have used many that some of us have not heard of, yet they won't give person the opportunity to learn a in-house system if you can't hit the ground running.

JB in Duluth, Georgia

96 months ago

From a former professional resume writer and staffing consultant, the biggest and best piece of advice I can give is: follow-up.

Follow-up sets you apart from the rest. 90% of the time your resume is never seen in the data bases.

Do it well, do it often, do it now!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bud in Glen Burnie, Maryland

96 months ago

Lockheed had to lay off alot of their skilled staff at the Social Security Administration and replace them with entry level people when they were underbid on the contract renewal by CSC. They have a bad reputation in this area of the country.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.