"How to get hired by Lockheed Martin"...the e-book

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (41)

Recruiter Bob in Orlando, Florida

42 months ago

Lockheed Martin is one of the world’s biggest companies with over 125,000 employees around the globe, and at any given time they might have between 2000 and 3000 job openings. So why does it always seem so hard to get hired there?

I’m currently working as a hiring manager for Lockheed Martin, and I put together an e-book on the Lulu publishing network to help answer that question. Drawing from my personal experience with the company’s hiring process, I compiled nearly 40 pages of helpful advice and strategies, including over 100 embedded hyperlinks to additional reference materials on the Web.

I’ll teach you how to make sure your resume actually gets reviewed by a human being, and how to ace the interview once you’re contacted. From tactics for your initial job application to advice on maintaining your security clearance, this book will walk you through everything you need to know about starting your career with Lockheed Martin!

Visit Lulu.com and search for "How to get hired by Lockheed Martin" to get started!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Johnson City, Tennessee

39 months ago

Hi, I have purchased your ebook, but am having problems with the links and comments. We have been unable to click on any of the links, and unable to view the comments you have made. It defaults to opening the book with adobe digital editions. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks, we have found tons of useful information already, so would love to be able to view the rest of the content!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Recruiter Bob in Chicago, Illinois

39 months ago

Hi Amanda, thanks for the kind words! When you go to open the file, try clicking the right button of your mouse instead of double-clicking with the left. This will open up a box with a menu of choices, and from there you can select the "Open With" option in order to read the book with a different program.

If that doesn't work for you, I think you can actually download updates to the Adobe programs for free at Lulu.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

I tried opening the PDF in Adobe Reader, but I received an error because of the DRM on the file. I had to open the file in Adobe Digital Editions as a result. I have the newest version of Adobe Digital Editions, which is 1.7.2. I even tried installing an old version, but I received the same result--the comments are just not there. I have done a Google search for an alternative application to open the file but there does not seem to be any. Not being able to open the links is not a big problem, I was just hoping to see the comments on the document for the requisition. I will keep looking for a way to see them. I think this is a problem with the software and something you cannot fix. I appreciate your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mr Doe in Florida

39 months ago

I have the same issue with my copy I purchased last week. Was no biggie since I was offered an interview next week, so I didn't bother mentioning. I guess this is more of an FYI...the comments don't appear under the sample req./explanation area.

Overall very helpful. I"m preparing for both types of interview types.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

an_EE in Phoenix, Arizona

39 months ago

LM... What a great company. I used to work at Space Systems in Littleton Colorado (SSB). Regrettebly I left for another opportunity in Southern Cal for the wrong reasons (ie. girl). It's been years, but I still find myself dreaming of working again for LM.

Anyway Recruiter Bob... I also purchased your book. I'm familiar with LM's hiring process, but wanted to see your comments for more insight. Just like Amanda, I cannot see any comments or links. Adobe Digital Editions is the only program we can open your file due to the DRM. Point us in the right direction, or shoot us over your .pdf. :)

Thanks in advance.

Recruiter Bob in Chicago, Illinois

39 months ago

Guys, thanks for pointing out the DRM issues. I submitted a revision to Lulu.com that skips the DRM so the hyperlinke will work, and has the comments included within the body of the REQ instead of on the sidebar, so hopefully that'll resolve the same issues for future purchases once it goes live.

If you've already bought version 1.0, I'd be happy to email you a regular .PDF file.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

Thanks, Recruiter Bob. It would be great if you could email me a PDF copy. I would really appreciate it! :) (a_jessee02@hotmail.com)

Richard in Orlando, Florida

39 months ago

Hello Recruiter Bob,

I'm a college student interested in seeking an internship with Lockheed Martin next summer and I was wondering what kind of information I might be able to find in your book that applies to internships rather than full time employment.

Before I derail your thread I was wondering if you might be able to answer some questions about the Intern hiring process if you have any experience with it, whether through this topic, a new one, e-mail, or whatever works for you.

Either just reply or drop me an e-mail at richidrivera@gmail.com

Thanks,
Richard

Recruiter Bob in Woodstock, Illinois

39 months ago

Hi Richard,
I'm sorry, I don't have very much familiarity with the actual "hiring" of interns, I usually only interact with them once they're brought on board. What I can tell you, though, is that an internship is a great way to get that all-important "face time" in with the hiring managers, and it'll allow to you get a first-hand look on whether working at LM is right for you. Since the development of our Leadership Development Programs in 2009, many of these slots have been filled by former interns.

LM has several outreach opportunities at UCF and other schools around Orlando. I recommend checking in with your Dean or your academic advisor to get started. Good luck with your career!

Angela in Winter Park, Florida

39 months ago

Recruiter Bob,

In another LM topic, you mentioned that it probably wouldn't be difficult to find a current LM employee who'd be willing to refer through the online system, since they'd get a cash bonus for a hiring. I've applied for several opportunites in the past for which I'm quite qualified, but haven't heard a thing. Another one was posted in the last 24 hours and I applied for that this morning. I know two LM employees rather well. Should I contact them to ask them to refer me, or is my online application sufficient? Would a referral from them now be viewed as merely duplicative, or might it help my chances of hearing something from LM this time around?

Thanks so much for any advise you are able to offer.

Recruiter Bob in Woodstock, Illinois

38 months ago

Angela, you should definitely at least give your friends a heads up that you've applied, and forward them the REQ ID number. It's very easy for them to reach out to the hiring manager and put in a good word for you, so that your resume can at least get reviewed by a human being! In case you're interested in learning more, my e-book on Lulu.com breaks down exactly how the pre-hire process works. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Orlando, Florida

38 months ago

Recruiter Bob in Woodstock, Illinois said: Angela, you should definitely at least give your friends a heads up that you've applied, and forward them the REQ ID number. It's very easy for them to reach out to the hiring manager and put in a good word for you, so that your resume can at least get reviewed by a human being! In case you're interested in learning more, my e-book on Lulu.com breaks down exactly how the pre-hire process works. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the response, Recruiter Bob. Actually, today one friend referred me for that position as well as for an identical one that opened in the last few days, both right here in Orlando. So, hopefully, I'll hear something this time around. In the meantime, I will be sure to read your book. I'll get started tomorrow. Whatever it takes!

Tanya N in Fresno, California

36 months ago

I had a recruiter forward my resume to another recruiter that recruits entry level engineers such as myself but have not heard back from anyone since then. It's been over a week....

Recruiter Bob in Greenville, South Carolina

36 months ago

Tanya, a week isn't really much of a wait. Like other big companies, LM will typically gather resumes before they actually need to hire employees for specific vacancies. You're definitely on the right track, though-- maybe checking in with a follow up email next week would be a good idea.

JBGiltzow in Southampton, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

Recruiter Bob in Chicago, Illinois said: You bet! It's available on the Smashwords dot com publishing platform now. Just search for "Lockheed Martin" and it should pop up. The company is going through a lot of changes right now, so I'm working on a third edition that takes the current fiscal climate into consideration, but the basic strategies of getting hired will probably remain the same. Good luck!

Bob,
Thank you.
I made another thread titled "Advice on the right position for me at LM". Could you take a look at it and shoot me some advice? Thank you.

Jon in Norfolk, Virginia

20 months ago

Bob,

I can't find the book on lulu.com? Is it still available?
I'm about to leave the military and I'm hoping I can work for
Lockheed.

thanks

Recruiter Bob in Riga, Latvia

20 months ago

Hi Jon,

Yes, my e-book is still available! A lot of people were having difficulty with Lulu.com's digital format, so I moved the project over to the Smashwords.com digital publishing platform.

I'm still working on an updated edition to the book, which would reflect the recent management changes as well as our current financial climate, but LM's basic hiring processes haven't changed over the past two years so the important parts of the book are still relevant.

Java Man

20 months ago

Hi Recruiter Bob,

I downloaded your book and took your advice on finding an insider. I had this person forward my resume and cover letter to the hiring manager after I submitted my application online.

My question is how long should I expect to wait to hear back from a hiring manager? Also, my insider was told by his manager that external candidates like myself are handled by the RRC. This leads me to believe that direct communication with the hiring manager may not help which is kind of disappointing.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

19 months ago

Hi Java Man,

It sounds like you're on the right track. Keep in mind, though, that a hiring manager is under no obligation to reach out to an applicant. Out of curiosity, which program did you apply to? Many of LM's projects are going to be affected by the current sequestration, which will include their staffing levels and hiring timelines.

Many LM projects rely on sourcing recruiters to process the large number of external applications that the company receives. However, the authority to hire an individual almost always resides with the manager (or in some cases, their superiors!).

Java Man in Chicago, Illinois

19 months ago

Bob, I am not sure of the programs. I figure the current budget climate would be a factor so i just need to be patient.

Laura Perkins in New York, New York

19 months ago

Many people now find themselves looking for employment. It is not easy. The job market is highly competitive with many applicants for each vacancy. How can you maximize your chances of getting a being employed?

I want to add a new job network in which you can create and manage your CVs online, apply for jobs and get hired for free. Its name is Business & Job and you can visit it here : www.businessandjob.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jwnfld3 in Marianna, Florida

19 months ago

Recruiter Bob in Riga, Latvia said: Hi Java Man,

It sounds like you're on the right track. Keep in mind, though, that a hiring manager is under no obligation to reach out to an applicant. Out of curiosity, which program did you apply to? Many of LM's projects are going to be affected by the current sequestration, which will include their staffing levels and hiring timelines.

Many LM projects rely on sourcing recruiters to process the large number of external applications that the company receives. However, the authority to hire an individual almost always resides with the manager (or in some cases, their superiors!).

Hello Bob. I was contacted by a recruiter yesterday and since I'm still on active duty in the Air Force and not on terminal leave so he could not go into specifics with me. He said he would keep me in his queue and if anything else comes up in the meantime he will contact me. My terminal leave begins mid April. How can I continue to show that I'm interested while I'm on terminal leave?

19 months ago

He contacted you? If so, then you must have done something right to catch his eye. I always recommend following up, but no so often that you become a bother. What do you think about sending him a short email during the first week of April just to check in? You can give him the date when you start terminal leave, and suggest scheduling a phone call a week later to discuss your options.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Junior in Owings Mills, Maryland

19 months ago

Is it possible to get a job with no degree, but 7 years of Basic IT experience. Just looking to get my foot through the door

tired of company lines in Dallas, Texas

19 months ago

Wow, so useless. Hiring managers hire when they're told to and how many to hire. They also keep unfilled positions posted so they can always appear to be hiring, which they never really are. The "old "guard" are not to quick to replace themselves. I have been hired twice and flown cross country Three times and laid off twice, but never applied for any of these positions.

Kenneth S. in Clarksville, Tennessee

18 months ago

Hello,

I'm trying to locate a recruiter who deals with Aviation contracts. I know Lockheed Martin will be taking over the U.S Army Aircraft reset team here at Ft. Campbell KY in July. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Kind Regards,
Kenneth Sanders

James Winfield in Niceville, Florida

18 months ago

If you have an account on LinkedIn, you will find several recruiters with Lockheed Martin Aeronautics.

Recruiter Bob LM in Haiti

15 months ago

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to say "thank you" for the unbelievable response to my team's first e-book, "How to Get Hired by Lockheed Martin"! Over the past two years, we've sold over 500 copies but more importantly, at least two dozen job seekers have let us know that they've landed interviews with the company!

As our way of saying thanks, we're offering this e-book for FREE over at Smashwords.com, from now through July 22. Just enter the coupon code"ZY76Z" when placing your order, and you'll have a free copy of the book in minutes.

If you find that this e-book helps you in your job search, please take a moment to leave a quick rating or a review on the Smashwords site. Thank you again for all the support, and keep those applications coming in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Evan in Elizabethtown, Kentucky

14 months ago

Hi Bob!

I downloaded your eBook today, but I am not able to read the comments that you have provided. There are only black vertical lines on the lefthand side where the comments should be.

I am looking forward to reading your advice, and hope to hear from you soon!

14 months ago

Hi Evan! I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. A few other readers have said the same thing, and I think that a lot depends on which e-reader you're using to read this book.

I took some time to go back and make some corrections to the original version on Smashwords, so hopefully this will be a permanent fix for all customers. If you provide me with your email address, I'll forward you a corrected copy ASAP.

Evan in Elizabethtown, Kentucky

14 months ago

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply! My email is thliop@hotmail.com

Thank you again!

CxTA in Covington, Georgia

13 months ago

Hi,

I'm curious about the credit check. I made some irresponsible decisions my freshman year of college and now my credit is terrible. Could this hurt me?

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

13 months ago

CxTA in Covington, Georgia said: Hi,

I'm curious about the credit check. I made some irresponsible decisions my freshman year of college and now my credit is terrible. Could this hurt me?

Yes, it will.

Many big companies are big hypocrites today: they bribe left and right and violate every imaginable law at executive levels, but expect nothing less of Saint August on entry levels. So despicable, I don't know why people apply for a job at those behemoths.

Unemployed in Haverhill, Massachusetts

13 months ago

Recruiter,

I interviewed with Lockheed Martin on August 13th. It's nearing on 7 weeks, and still no response. I have e-mailed the recruiter twice, and called about 3 times at this point. I hope I haven't annoyed him. I have been through many interviews in which the HR rep never even replies with a yes or no, but not with a major company like Lockheed Martin. Has Lockheed Martin been known to do this to potential employees? Why do companies do this? Why can they not just respond with a no?

13 months ago

Sometimes the answer might not be "no", but it's something like "not right now". Remember, LM works to meet the needs of the customer, usually the US Government. Budget issues and even politics can play a huge role in your future career in defense contracting, so it's something that we've all learned to live with. Your recruiter might not be getting back to you simply because he/she has no information for you at the moment!

My personal advice would be to keep applying to both LM and other companies. Remember that old saying, "hurry up and wait"? Right now you're in the waiting portion, but when someone needs you to come to work, they'll realize that they needed you yesterday and will want you to get started ASAP!

13 months ago

Recruiter Bob,

Thank you for the quick reply. Does this sound normal to you for Lockheed Martin? I ask because I have had other companies just expect me to "get the hint". This recruiter is located in Owego, Ny, while the Massachusetts recruiter who was at my interview did not respond to my e-mails at all. She told me 2 weeks at the interview. The first e-mail the NY guy told me two weeks, then I called him, he said call me in a in 4 days, then the 2nd time he said we'll let you know in a few days, then last night he did not answer. I'll keep on applying and such, but honestly I am really tired of this behavior from recruiters (not necessarily the lmco one), in this economy.

13 months ago

Unfortunately, this is a pretty typical "non-response" from any company, especially right now when there are simply too many qualified people seeking a limited number of jobs. I'd recommend limiting your check-ins to every other week, and using your valuable time to seek additional opportunities. Keep at it--- it'll happen for you!

13 months ago

Well, it's been over 4 years since I've been employed. I couldn't even get interviews for the 1st yeare, and from then on, being a long-term unemployed person hurt me. I guess now corporations just think that some people should never work again? I just saw on the Lockheed website, that the job status date is September 17th. I guess they want to look for some more candidates? My question was more if this is typical for a reputable company like Lockheed Martin specifically, not just any other company.

Jackey2521 in Virginia

7 months ago

Recruiter Bob LM in Haiti said: Hi everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to say "thank you" for the unbelievable response to my team's first e-book, "How to Get Hired by Lockheed Martin "! Over the past two years, we've sold over 500 copies but more importantly, at least two dozen job seekers have let us know that they've landed interviews with the company!

As our way of saying thanks, we're offering this e-book for FREE over at Smashwords.com, from now through July 22. Just enter the coupon code"ZY76Z" when placing your order, and you'll have a free copy of the book in minutes.

If you find that this e-book helps you in your job search, please take a moment to leave a quick rating or a review on the Smashwords site. Thank you again for all the support, and keep those applications coming in!

Hi Bob,

I would like to know if your book is still free over at Smashwords.com? I also wanted to ask you what is the usual time frame for a recruiter to contact a candidate once a pre-screening question is filled out?

Thank you!

7 months ago

Hi Jackey! That free promotion ran for several weeks last year, but it ended once I published an updated edition. "How to Get Hired by Lockheed Martin" is still available on Smashwords, though, and it's actually become one of the site's best-selling business e-books!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.