Completed PR Screening over the Phone with the Hiring Manager...What's Next?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

reel2012 in Jacksonville, Florida

23 months ago

I applied to the PTDS program a while back and yesterday morning I received an email from a Hiring Manager stating he would like to speak with as soon as possible to conduct a 10-15 minute pre-screening. He asked me about my job history in the Army and in the Navy and that was it. No detailed questions about the job itself except for how it was like dealing with Foreign Nationals when I was deployed to Iraq with the Army. He also pointed out my Masters in Logisitcs and my BS degree and kind of skimmed through key points in my resume only to verify the information was correct. At the end of the conversation he told me he had a couple others to screen for the position and he would be in contact with me in a couple of days. I was wondering if anyone else has been directly contacted by a Hiring Manager and not a recruiter. I noticed a lot of people stated they have done the pre-screening with a recruiter or submitted the form to a recruiter. I am not sure if being contacted directly by the Hiring Manager in the department that you will be working for is a good start or if I will have to work backwards. The PTDS program is a little different than interviewing for a Financial Analyst or more of a desk job position but if anyone has any input or guidance I would really appreciate it. I am hoping to not have a face to face interview and to just receive an offer letter letting me know when I ship out or start training. Please help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

eggy in socal, California

23 months ago

you're better off talking to the hiring manager than a recruiter. If you talked to a recruiter at this stage, their job would simply be to pre screen candidates for the hiring manager who would then do another screening before deciding who to call (which probably happened, but before talking to you).

ArabianKnight in Cleveland, Ohio

23 months ago

I interviewed with LM for this program last year when I was in Iraq working on the BETSS-C program with them. I was an internal candidate so it may be different(I did not accept the position). Jobs that are in A-Stan do not usually get face to face interviews and you only interview once over the phone with the hiring manager. My advice, always counter offer!

reel2012 in Jacksonville, Florida

22 months ago

Update-
I didn't get the position. The hiring manager called a few days after the pre-screen and told me that they picked someone else. They moved pretty fast but unfortunately I was not chosen.

BAYFISHER in Montgomery Village, Maryland

22 months ago

Ok now, being non corporate, but ex military (back in the day), at mid-life, and just completed a masters of science in information assurance, and a certificate in informatics, coupled with a rather cloudy historical criminal history, how in the hec is one to even get in the door, due to the requirements for security clearances. I am a civilian, and finished at UMUC. I did however have a phone interview about two years ago, but it never panned out. I have a very close freind that works at lockheed (lets not get it twisted please), and HE NEVER DISCLOSES ANY DATA OR INFORMATION TO ME. He is a contractor.He said it was probably a pre-screening of my history (yes they check you beforehand), which didnt make it pan out. The offense occured in 1979 in which i served at ft. dix as a combat engineer, instead of jail time. The other is a DUI in 1985. The said news is that due to clearnaces, and knowing I qualify for position, they rather blacklist me, due to my past. ANYONE KNOW THE EXTENT THEY REACH OR EXAMINE THE PAST? IS THERE SOME OFFENSES THAT ARE OVERSIGHTS?

Recruiter Bob in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

Top Secret clearances generally involve 10 years of background research so you should be okay, but I've known some managers who would "pass" on a candidate with prior arrests simply because it would slow down the adjudication process and they needed someone ASAP. In all cases, the amount of time since the incident occurred, as well as your character since, are the most important factors to consider.

You might want to check out my e-book, "How to get hired by Lockheed Martin," available for download on Lulu.com. I added a special section on security clearances to the second edition. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.