Sadly Deceived

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Imawinner4ever in Stockton, California

35 months ago

Macy's is very Deceptive in the way they conduct business. You apply for a job or jobs, you get an interview, and then your told that those positions are not available. Only retail positions are available, and it's a group interview at that. Everyone will make the same pay 8.50 an hour. Their main objective is for you to push their REWARDS CARDS, they don't care about customer service! On top of that they tell you what a fun place Macy's is to work! I personally don't see a business that conducts themselves in this manner lasting, but the way things are in this world they may do just great. Remember, you read it right here, apply at your own risk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cummings6786@comcast.net in Brockton, Massachusetts

28 months ago

U totally agree with you, as I was called in for an interview, and told an opening was available in the Beauty Dept. and I would need to speak with the Cosmetics Manager. The next day I got an email that there were no job openings. I called Huamn Resources in Taunton, MA and expressed my disappointment as she stated there were no jobs, yet now there is a listing for the Beauty Advisor job I wanted. Totally unprofessional and mean to do to a person who would really love to work for their company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Betsy21 in La Mesa, California

27 months ago

Imawinner4ever in Stockton, California said: Macy's is very Deceptive in the way they conduct business . You apply for a job or jobs, you get an interview, and then your told that those positions are not available. Only retail positions are available, and it's a group interview at that. Everyone will make the same pay 8.50 an hour. Their main objective is for you to push their REWARDS CARDS, they don't care about customer service ! On top of that they tell you what a fun place Macy's is to work! I personally don't see a business that conducts themselves in this manner lasting, but the way things are in this world they may do just great. Remember, you read it right here, apply at your own risk.

Everything you said is so true, I worked there for two years. When I was hired I was told that I was next to be hired as a PT employee, two years later still an on-call employee that hardly works. Macy's basically hires seasonal employees each year and gets rid of their older on-call employees, it's a cycle. That way no need to give out benefits. MACY'S SUCK!, don't wantbto work there anymore. I'm looking for a new job but I think Macy's is saying bad things about me because no one will hire me. I busted my behind for them so they could do this to me, Thank so much Macy's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Airport Safety in Enfield, Connecticut

13 months ago

Biggest interview scam I ever went through. Applied online- got a rejection letter almost 24 later. The day after they called me to see if I wanted to interview. At the time I was unemployed so I said yes. Went in only to hear that she had given the position to someone days before. When she asked me how much I wanted to make, she said no negotiations. Everyone makes the same amount whether you are a HS drop out or like me (went in with a degree in the field and 5+ years in the same field I was applying for). The they said staff can't work for more than 4 hours per day! Wouldn't even be worth driving there if accepted. . . oh yeah, my father managed a different dept too and still rejected. Not only will I never apply there, I have not shopped there since.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

I worked years ago for this company, I was never hired as a PTor FT employee after they promised me, I worked there 2 years as an on-call and they just kept hiring new people,giving us little hours, so of course no benefits ever. I already had retail experience and a degree so they were taking advantage of me because they offered me minimum wage. Found another job, their competitors and was offered a part-time, a year later I was working full-time with more pay. Macy's takes advantage of it's people, they yell at you to sell, sell, sell, and credit cards are a must. I hated being a fake salesperson.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anons in Brooklyn, New York

13 months ago

I absolutely hate working here. First they hire u 'option 5' which means they only assign u 4-8 hours a week. Finding hours is terrible, there are never any available! And the pay is horrible 7.40 but I'm supposed to be this amazing sales person. And they're always hiring, why there are no hours for people who already work here! Then credits, that's all I ever here from my manager credit credit credit! 99% of people who come to my department already have a Macy's card so how am I supposed to get 2 a week. Working twice a week on non sale days. On top of that u have big goals and now that they've changed to score cards it's even worse for the people with little to no hours. I wouldn't recommend working here at all, looking for a new job now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anons in Brooklyn, New York

13 months ago

Oh and if a customer returns something you checked out for them have to make that amount up plus your goal for the day. Plus you have to do damages which involves not being on the sales floor and still make your goal. You have to deal with shady employees who steals sales and lie to customers to get them to open accounts. If Macy's wants you to ruin your integrity for their crappy company I'd rather be jobless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Physcinacians in Kansas City, Kansas

13 months ago

If you think the Macy's DC or Fulfillment Center is different your wrong.
First off you go into an interview thinking that you've just applied for a full time job as listed on there website
second you get there and you are interviewed by one in a series of managers.
third your told that the full time and part time positions are filled and all they have is oncall your choice of taking it or not taking it.

Benefits is only an associate discount and a 401k after a year if you worked over 1000 hours.
Another benefit is unlike the store you do get a lot more hours however they will try there best to block you from part time and even harder from full time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

And people as far as part time goes. You don't want part time either...

Part time at the warehouse is capped at 20 hours a week sometimes more if they're busy. You have to wait a year for benefits. And you do not get premium pay or vacation until the next year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

You will get alot of miscommunication.
Little knowledge I have about warehouse work DC/FC
not too sure about stores
Don't listen to what HR tells you take it with a grain of salt
ask workers and some supervisors.

I can tell you without a doubt if you average part time hours for a year 1000 they have to bump you up to part time. Infact if you average over 625 hours you've crossed the threshold at least that was last year

If you average full time hours they have to bump you up full time.

Do not let management and HR get to you. They will do everything in there power to not make you part time or full time.

And if you do let them get to you you do have a bad day and you do get disciplined for it (this is to everyone in macys whose oncall). Don't be afraid to call instore solutions. At that point you have nothing to lose and you cost your unit (company) money.
Remember whatever punishment you get as an on-call is more severe than that of a permanent employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Screwed me over in interview in Chicago, Illinois

10 months ago

I came in, had a GREAT interview with the recruiter. We bonded. He said he put in a good word for me with the jewelry head. I was there for a fine jewelry job. I met the dept head. He was a total rat. After wasting my time for about 15 minutes, he tells me to wait for a few minutes. All along the line the people knew I had a parking meter running out of time. They were good about it except the jewelry creep who took his time. He finally comes back with some woman from Kids/Young Men's Dept. Rat tells me he has NO OPENINGS, but meet this woman. WHAT A LIE!!! Why did he interview me then and ask me every quesgtion in their arsenal? Liar! The woman speeds the interview along cause she knows I have to get to my meter. Finally, she says do I have time to do the paperwork and schedule my first day. Huh? Am I hired? I say anytime is fine. She says I can do the paperwork on my first day. I run to my car which is many blocks away (downtown Chicago) dying from a near-asthma attack. This was a week ago. Never heard from the woman or anyone else. I called HR and she said through them that she was busy and would call me. Never did. What the hell is with this place. I made it five minutes late to my car and beat the cops to a ticket. At least I didn't have that happen on top of all this crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rrobbie in Brookfield, Illinois

10 months ago

I've had a very similar experience with Macy's Orland Park. I interviewed and the woman said she loved me and had two potential positions available. About a week later after hearing nothing I got a call saying they'd filled the position I interviewed for but she was forwarding me to another dept with an opening. Of course, I heard nothing for two weeks,called again, left a message for a girl that picked up in HR. Heard nothing, called again, she mentioned getting my previous message. I finally got a call from the woman in the "other" dept saying they also had no openings.
I inquired about when holiday, temp staffing would start. They said they'd give me a call back. And...I've heard nothing.

Don't waste your time. This company is disorganized and inefficient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

loriannxx63

10 months ago

The woman who told me to call back after the interviewer baled told me I would get another email to confirm. I never got the email. I received an email from the other macys store I applied for. I went to the interview. It went well. After evey answer she said "ok, perfect" She asked me what my top 3 departments that I would like to work in. I thought of the ones most appealing to me but said I would love to work anywhere in the store. She was kind of pushing jewelry and I said "absolutely"she told me she had a few more interviews and that I would hear back in a couple of days. She asked me if I had any questions for her. I told her that while I didn't have alot of experience in retail (under a year) would that make it more difficult. She laughed and said no, anyone can pick up how to do it quickly and experience in this didn't really matter. I received an email this time saying I didnt fit any of their needs and good luck with future endeavors. Does this mean that I should never apply there again? I would really like to work there again? I know that after my bad experiences with them so far, I shouldn't want to but I really love this store. If I could somehow get my foot in the door w/o all the drama w/management who couldn't give two ***** about me or my time. I think the employees (who were the only ones who were helpful with my dilemma) would be great people to work with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Mount Vernon, New York

10 months ago

I've seen them do this with design jobs as well.

ak165 in New York, New York

10 months ago

how much do holidays temps get paid? I saw a listing that it pays $15/hour as a holiday temp??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ak165 in New York, New York

10 months ago

how much do holidays temps get paid? I saw a listing that it pays $15/hour as a holiday temp at herald square?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VBS31 in Westchester County, New York

9 months ago

ak165 in New York, New York said: how much do holidays temps get paid? I saw a listing that it pays $15/hour as a holiday temp at herald square?

I'm in a New York store but not the city. The training was minimum wage, $7.25 an hour in New York, and the pay once you're out on the floor is 50 cents higher, at $7.75. Pretty terrible. Maybe Herald Square (Manhattan) pays more, I don't know. I'm sure they probably don't.

elliza2046 in Portland, Oregon

7 months ago

Imawinner4ever in Stockton, California said: Macy's is very Deceptive in the way they conduct business . You apply for a job or jobs, you get an interview, and then your told that those positions are not available. Only retail positions are available, and it's a group interview at that. Everyone will make the same pay 8.50 an hour. Their main objective is for you to push their REWARDS CARDS, they don't care about customer service ! On top of that they tell you what a fun place Macy's is to work! I personally don't see a business that conducts themselves in this manner lasting, but the way things are in this world they may do just great. Remember, you read it right here, apply at your own risk.

Already did that (applied) I been trying to get work in
Macy's in my state (OR) and they don't even give me a chance each time that I applied they say that I don't qualify and that they will keep application on file for 30 days. the last time that I applied was one month ago and that was my last time.

I am also in strike; I will not buy anymore in that store ( the company is rich and I am not going to make it more rich) because I don't have the money to do it.

Additional: I have applied more thatn 6 times since 2010

Black Tea in Dallas, Texas

7 months ago

Macy's (which is really Federated, isn't it?) sounds like a scheethole to work. The thing about them only giving 4-8 hours and always hiring when they could give the hired more hours - that really gets my goat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

7 months ago

Of course the pay sucks, it's non management retail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

We work so physically hard and we don't get enough pay. It's sad. I know I am counted on to come to work every time I am scheduled. The minimum is so low but if our wage goes up so does everything else. It won't help us at all then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

John G in Rancho Cucamonga, California

1 month ago

I just had an interview yesterday. I was there 15 minutes early. But I waited about an HOUR for them to finally interview me. I went in and asked THREE times if there is going to be someone in there who is going to interview me. One lady had a mean blank face with no eye contact and said my interviewer would be out shortly. Then finally, I was called in. The interview felt like it went well. I smiled as much as felt right, and answered all the questions fluently. Then she said there were no jobs available but she would get back to me as soon as there were open positions. WHAT!? The next day, I got an E-mail saying I'M NOT QUALIFIED and there are NO JOBS FOR ME. Keep in mind the job I'm applying for takes no prior experience and they hire teenagers! I have a feeling they hire people heavily based on their looks. But who knows. It's a mystery to me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bergen guy in Teaneck, New Jersey

9 days ago

I did an interview and in the interview he agreed that I had great qualifications (30 years retail experience) and I could not get him up from 8.50 to 9.00 hour. It looks like I am getting a full time job at another corporation as I am unemployed but I gotta tell you even being unemployed I was having doubts about taking the position at Macy's...temp....no benefits.....8.50 hour ??????? How would any employer expect the 8.50 an hour employees to give a darn about the job ???

Still looking in Brooklyn, New York

8 days ago

Mary's is a huge fraud. I applied there before, got the interview, only to be told position was closed.

Still looking in Brooklyn, New York

8 days ago

Macys.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.