Massage Envy is a horrible company

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 62)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

SuperDave316

87 months ago

For anyone looking for a job with Massage Envy, think again! I am speaking from experience, they promise hourly plus commission, but you never get hourly. $15 an hour is an outrage and an insult to any M.therapist in the field, and they have no respect for their therapists. You'll deal with repeat customers who will harass you,be rude, perverted, and M. Envy will welcome them back with open arms. Trust me, if you thought about working for them ,go somewheres else, it is not worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (141) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in San Diego, California

87 months ago

Which Massage Envy did you work at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

elsewhere in Burbank, California

87 months ago

SuperDave316 said: For anyone looking for a job with Massage Envy, think again! I am speaking from experience, they promise hourly plus commission, but you never get hourly. $15 an hour is an outrage and an insult to any M.therapist in the field, and they have no respect for their therapists. You'll deal with repeat customers who will harass you,be rude, perverted, and M. Envy will welcome them back with open arms. Trust me, if you thought about working for them ,go somewheres else, it is not worth it.

Good advice Dave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

82 months ago

SuperDave316 said: For anyone looking for a job with Massage Envy, think again! I am speaking from experience, they promise hourly plus commission, but you never get hourly. $15 an hour is an outrage and an insult to any M.therapist in the field, and they have no respect for their therapists. You'll deal with repeat customers who will harass you,be rude, perverted, and M. Envy will welcome them back with open arms. Trust me, if you thought about working for them ,go somewheres else, it is not worth it.

Bad advice Dave. At my clinics if a client mistreats a therapist they are never scheduled with them again. If they do mistreat another therapist they are asked not to come back. Fact.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

superd316

82 months ago

Fact is everything I said is truth!! I opened 2 different locations,spent a year with M.envy and both had the same mindset with their therapists. Very disrespectful, and did anything and I mean ANYTHING to keep the customers coming back.I've seen it first hand,and I've seen former co-workers walk out because of the misconduct and treatment from customers as well as management. BIG FACT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

superd316 said: Fact is everything I said is truth!! I opened 2 different locations,spent a year with M.envy and both had the same mindset with their therapists. Very disrespectful, and did anything and I mean ANYTHING to keep the customers coming back.I've seen it first hand,and I've seen former co-workers walk out because of the misconduct and treatment from customers as well as management. BIG FACT

Sounds like you had a bad owner

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

superd316

82 months ago

That too, but I know we had plenty of meetings with management and regional management,and when we, the therapists, would voice ourselves,we were ignored and overlooked,and anyone who wasn't happy with the situation,could leave. They think of us as a assembly line,and if we werent happy,they'd fire us,and hire a replacement,like it was nothing.All my experieces with the company was bad, other than making friends with other therapist,but working for the company was horrible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

superd316 said: That too, but I know we had plenty of meetings with management and regional management,and when we, the therapists, would voice ourselves,we were ignored and overlooked,and anyone who wasn't happy with the situation,could leave. They think of us as a assembly line,and if we werent happy,they'd fire us,and hire a replacement,like it was nothing.All my experieces with the company was bad, other than making friends with other therapist,but working for the company was horrible.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Owners should listen to therapists. Sometimes their concerns are valid, sometimes they are not. Good therapists are hard to find much less replace.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

superd316

82 months ago

Its okay, I agree, therapist should be listened too more,especially by management of a massage place. I just feel M.envy play is way under par, I mean where I work now, I get alteast $30 per massage, and M.envy is half of that. I love what I do,and I wish more people knew about massage, but I just wish there were companies who would care more about helping people, and help inprove quality of life,and not about money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

superd316 said: Its okay, I agree, therapist should be listened too more,especially by management of a massage place. I just feel M.envy play is way under par, I mean where I work now, I get alteast $30 per massage, and M.envy is half of that. I love what I do,and I wish more people knew about massage, but I just wish there were companies who would care more about helping people, and help inprove quality of life,and not about money.

Therapists at my clinics get $25 - $30/hr massage. That includes the commission, any bonuses and gratuity. I don't know what you typically get for a gratuity but if you're earning that - good for you and stay where you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

lolo henderson in Bellevue, Washington

78 months ago

DON'T WORK HERE
They only give $15 an hour when they charge almost $70 for non-members. After tax it comes out to about $13. Also they tell you they pay you minimum wage when you don't have a client but at the end of the PAY PERIOD they pick which ever was more (comission or minimum wage) and that's what they give you. You will NEVER see that minimum wage. It's a loophole to require you to be on the clock but not pay you. People would be there for 8 hours sometimes give 2 massages and make only $30 for the WHOLE DAY! People were slaving to make a good living doing 6-8 massages A DAY! 5 DAYS A WEEK. Their massages would be weak and would have to work more cause people wouldn't book them. Sure nobody MAKES you do that many but I made way more as a waitress with less work. I wondered why I even went to school. Go somewhere that gives you ATLEAST $20+ and allows tipping. SO MANY PLACES ARE OUT THERE DON'T SETTLE OR SACRAFICE YOUR MASSAGE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

compassion in Austin, Texas

77 months ago

Massage envy was a horrible and disappointing experience as a massage therapist. There were supposed to be benefits and an hourly wage. We never got either one, no time off, no sick time, what kind of huge corporation in the health care field offers no health insurance or sick time? But advertises that it does.

The WAY below average pay, especially for a therapist with any type of advanced training, this job is not worth it AT ALL. If they made up for the $15/hr pay before taxes with some benefits that would be the only way that this
works out financially.

They would quietly take away bonuses- and I have heard from other therapists from other locations in Austin that the same had been done to them- so you were doing extra for nothing!!! As if the pay wasn't insulting enough. This was my first and last experience with corporate massage.

I hope other therapists realize that there is much better conditions than this out there to be had!!

The owner was the worst owner I have ever worked for. Uncaring, cheap, and unethical in his/her handling of employee situations and HORRIBLE with the clients. I don't know how many of my clients I have had complain about how much they hated dealing with him/her. I know I did.

A great concept has been turned into massage sweatshop material, it's sad, because it could be great, except that the people selling these franchises should be more ethical is who they choose to sell to and how they are being handled because it makes them all look bad. If the therapists were being taken care of so that they could work the heavy load required to make enough money to survive on such little pay this would be a different story. No healthcare-No time off- treated like contract labor but paid half to a third of what contract makes with NO BENEFITS to compensate- shame on you Massage Envy, there is nothing to be envious about!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

FedUp2008 in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

I work for Massage Envy....used to love it. Never enjoyed the low pay but it was money I could count on. Recently my boss,(who I generally liked) screwed me over with changing the words, "Raise" to "Bonus". She owed me 3 months worth....and said, it was basically up to them whether we receive it. Because now she is calling it a "Bonus".

I will NO LONGER give this Company my life, nor my BACK. I wake up in pain, go to bed in pain....all for $15 an hour. It IS becoming a "puppy mill" of sorts......

They will constantly have a revolving door of GOOD therapists....if they continue to treat us this way. I am totally over it.....I will FIND a way to be paid what I am worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Fed Up in Wilmette, Illinois

77 months ago

FedUp2008 in Houston, Texas said: I work for Massage Envy....used to love it. Never enjoyed the low pay but it was money I could count on. Recently my boss,(who I generally liked) screwed me over with changing the words, "Raise" to "Bonus". She owed me 3 months worth....and said, it was basically up to them whether we receive it. Because now she is calling it a "Bonus".

I will NO LONGER give this Company my life, nor my BACK. I wake up in pain, go to bed in pain....all for $15 an hour. It IS becoming a "puppy mill" of sorts......

They will constantly have a revolving door of GOOD therapists....if they continue to treat us this way. I am totally over it.....I will FIND a way to be paid what I am worth.

I'm sorry you had to find the truth about these people the hard way. I hope you get out of there sooner than later. Take some time and really check what's available to you in your area. It souldn't be that hard to find something that will pay you what you're worth and treat you like a professional. Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FedUp2008 in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

FedUp In Illinois...Thank you for the encouragement. I needed that. I am sitting in front of the computer with my back aching. If my back is going to have issues after 6yrs...I at least need to be paid for time, instead of giving it away to them. Right?

Take care, and will let you know how I do......

Rachel :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

FedUp2008 in Houston, Texas said: FedUp In Illinois...Thank you for the encouragement. I needed that. I am sitting in front of the computer with my back aching. If my back is going to have issues after 6yrs...I at least need to be paid for time, instead of giving it away to them. Right?

Take care, and will let you know how I do......

Rachel :)

Good luck Rachel, I'm confident you'll find something good for yourself! Please do let us know.

Best,

Ridnod

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jewel7 in Colorado Springs, Colorado

74 months ago

I am a former employee of Massage Envy, I was always on time, I was building a loyal clientele base, I truly love and care about each one of my clients. Three weeks ago I was told I was being let go because, the ownership group didnt think it was working out. . I was told that in the state of Colorado an employer did not have to give any reason. I was a faithful and loyal employee. I put in many calls to Gray Neher, but he did not return ant of my calls. When I spoke to Dr. Scott he said he was not authorized to tell me, Grays son Morgan said the same thing to me. However I found out yesterday that a fellow employee there was told they were in contact with me and trying to resolve this. Funny thing is, no one has called me or made any attempt. So, I have found out the hard way that the Nehers do not look after their emplyees and treat them with respect and YES, they are LIARS and DECEPTIVE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jewel7 in Colorado Springs, Colorado

74 months ago

Please feel free to respond to my comment Gray Neher, I would love to hear from you but, let your comment be spoken in truth and not deception.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

jewel7 in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Please feel free to respond to my comment Gray Neher, I would love to hear from you but, let your comment be spoken in truth and not deception.

Yes Graydon, please let us hear from you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Fed Up in Wilmette, Illinois said: Yes Graydon, please let us hear from you!

As an employer you should know that we have a legal responsibilty to maintain confidentiality as it pertains to personnel matters (mostly for the sake of the employee). What I can say is that our clinics currently employ 45 therapists and we have terminated only 2 in the last year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Dr Envy in Colorado Springs, Colorado

74 months ago

I find it heart breaking to hear what people have said about Gray on this forum. No one on it really knows what Gray is all about. I have worked with him for almost two years. His integrity and heart as a business owner astound me. I have seen him give grocery, rent, and gas money to the staff secretly whe there was a need. I have seen him give a week's paid vacation before it was earned to help a staff member that needed surgery. I have seen them continue to give every member of our staff free massages monthly to make sure that we have ongoing therapy. I have seen them visit staff members in the hospital. I have seen them throw quarterly parties for no reason but to give back to the staff. I know that they have served on the board for one of the nation's largest food ministries for decades. I have seen them do the 'right' thing in many very difficult situations. I also know that they started this business because they, like all of us, have worked very hard for their living and needed massage but couldn't afford it. They are giving back to the community according to Massage Envy's vision of providing affordable, available, and professional massage therapy. These are just a few examples.

Nobody is perfect but I have never met business owners that try so hard to make everyone happy, listen and consider every suggestion, and give selflessly to their staff. They are human, just like the rest of us, and they get hurt by things people say about them without knowing the entire story. They are also wise enough to know when to share the whole story and when it is best to let people have their opinions. Doesn't anyone actually admire the fact that the owner of two large clinics would take time out of his day to try to communicate with the people who post on this forum? How many people would actually care enough to do this? I think that speaks volumes in itself.

Try walking a mile in Gray's shoes. You may end up with an entirely different perspective.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

BekaBoo in Thornton, Colorado

64 months ago

I completely agree!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

superd316 said: That too, but I know we had plenty of meetings with management and regional management,and when we, the therapists, would voice ourselves,we were ignored and overlooked,and anyone who wasn't happy with the situation,could leave. They think of us as a assembly line,and if we werent happy,they'd fire us,and hire a replacement,like it was nothing.All my experieces with the company was bad, other than making friends with other therapist,but working for the company was horrible.

The colorado regional management is a joke. Do not expect them to help out or step up for an employee that is having an issue with the owner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

jewel7 in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: I am a former employee of Massage Envy, I was always on time, I was building a loyal clientele base, I truly love and care about each one of my clients. Three weeks ago I was told I was being let go because, the ownership group didnt think it was working out. . I was told that in the state of Colorado an employer did not have to give any reason. I was a faithful and loyal employee. I put in many calls to Gray Neher, but he did not return ant of my calls. When I spoke to Dr. Scott he said he was not authorized to tell me, Grays son Morgan said the same thing to me. However I found out yesterday that a fellow employee there was told they were in contact with me and trying to resolve this. Funny thing is, no one has called me or made any attempt. So, I have found out the hard way that the Nehers do not look after their emplyees and treat them with respect and YES, they are LIARS and DECEPTIVE!

The colorado owners take FULL advantage of the "at will" employment laws of this state. I too was NEVER late, had never been written up, worked a ton of overtime hours and never once called in sick. I was "rewarded" for my efforts by being terminated with NO explanation whatsoever. Stay away from Massage Envy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heal The World in Charleston, South Carolina

64 months ago

Dr Envy in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: I find it heart breaking to hear what people have said about Gray on this forum.

Try walking a mile in Gray's shoes. You may end up with an entirely different perspective.

Why not just pay the therapists a little more, like something close to what they're worth as a way to help them! Spare me the token grocery money, the advance rent, the wine and chocolate fountains (snicker snicker)....not that I know the situation, but assuming they're paid more, are they going to be in these pickles to begin with? Why don't these owners raise the fee or make it mandatory for a minimum of 10 dollars gratuity? It's a no-brainer, to do so would shut out the poor tipping ones- you know the ones who can only afford 5 bucks, if that... Massage Envy wants their business- at the therapists' expense. We get the shaft... oh, and maybe some charity grocery money. Thanks, Saint Gray of Castle Pine!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bay Area, California M.E. Employee in San Jose, California

64 months ago

well I have been following this string of comments now for over a year, I have listened to some interesting toppics about "M.E."

I have seen what the business is like from almost all angles and it aint pretty... I mean the therapist is paying though the nose with the schooling to become certified ,, what is that cost upto now 20K - 30K and not to mention a liscencing/permit fees

I know that this business model is really a fallier on every front
except for the guy who started this thing, he is making hand over fist nation wide.

(My Employer says he isnt really breaking even at the close of a year) Many therapists I know didnt even clear 20K last year
you cant live out in california on that pay and certainly not what our school seggested us to be earning.

each business owner has to pay an annual franchise fee which I assure you isnt cheep and our employer ofcourse handels the over head a etc.....

my employer offers benie's to full timers 24+ hrs per week
not every massage envy is run with the interst of the therapists health ( this is truly a shame)

also the pay scale is VERY Subjective as well you must make sure to know what you will be making per client hour before you work any where.
I have heard they pay every thing from abt 12.50 & 15.00 clear up to 20+ dollars, it also depends on the local ecconomy
a high end ecconomy pays a bit higher like Las Vegas, NV

both the employer and therapist are slightly taken advantage of by this franchise.

in school I was told the going rate was abt 65 and up per hour

My instructor from school charged 125. per hour in san francisco,ca
that was more then 10 years ago

back to M.E.
one thing I do not respect is the discount aspect,, we have no control over it and there for employers dont have much room to move
when it comes to employee raises, if any

if you are a career massage therapist think about this as a stepping stone job or a retirement job if you could careless abt the pay or benie's

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sher4545 in Staten Island, New York

61 months ago

Self-respecting LMT's need to start demonstrating at Massage Envy locations to educate the public. Let's show this company the same disrespect they've been showing our industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sher4545 in Staten Island, New York

61 months ago

What a shame that when searching "Massage" in google, Massage Envy comes up first. A company that not only cares nothing about the industry, but is working against all that has been achieved by self-respecting LMT's in recent years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No Reply - Report abuse

ack0 in Göteborg, Sweden

60 months ago

sher4545 in Staten Island, New York said: What a shame that when searching "Massage" in google, Massage Envy comes up first. A company that not only cares nothing about the industry, but is working against all that has been achieved by self-respecting LMT's in recent years.

I so agree with you Sher. What a shame

www.massageexpert.se

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Heal The World in Charleston, South Carolina said: Why not just pay the therapists a little more, like something close to what they're worth as a way to help them! Spare me the token grocery money, the advance rent, the wine and chocolate fountains (snicker snicker)....not that I know the situation, but assuming they're paid more, are they going to be in these pickles to begin with? Why don't these owners raise the fee or make it mandatory for a minimum of 10 dollars gratuity? It's a no-brainer, to do so would shut out the poor tipping ones- you know the ones who can only afford 5 bucks, if that... Massage Envy wants their business- at the therapists' expense. We get the shaft... oh, and maybe some charity grocery money. Thanks, Saint Gray of Castle Pine!

Nicely done

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Californian in Hayward, California

60 months ago

How does one unsubscribe from this lovely forum???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Elke1 in Vermont

59 months ago

I am not a therapist but I am friends with them, I work as front desk and just asked how much do they make....It is clearly different from place to place because our therapists get paid when they dont have a client and when they have a client and tips and my friend who is a therapist said it was way better than her last place of employment and she likes her pay. I wish all of you the best of luck and hope that you find a job that is better for you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in North Hollywood, California

48 months ago

Legal Notice:

If you were hired by the Massage Envy Concord/Clayton#0327 as a Massage Therapist in the 2009/2010 year please read carefully.

If you were hired in the 2009/2010 calendar year and promised an hourly wage of $16.00 per hour while massaging and $8.00 per hour when you had no clients you may be eligible to join a large class action lawsuit against its owners and the Corporation. It is possible you will be eligible for damages if your pay check did not reflect the salary promised at hiring by the owner or managers. Many who received credit card tips were not paid in full or not paid at all. You may get these tips awarded back plus interest and damages. Most former employees state they were hired by the manager with a stated salary/hourly wage of $16.00 per hour while massaging and $8.00 per hour while idle. If you were later told that was not correct or there is a formula to your pay which reduces your hourly wage you are eligible as this is employment fraud.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul in North Hollywood, California

48 months ago

Look at your pay check stubs and you should see two areas for hourly pay. If yours only has $8.00 per hour you are part of the alleged fraud at this location. All pay checks should have the number of hours at minimum wage and the number of hours at $16.00 for each massage you completed. The owners are reported to have never paid any of their therapists the correct hourly when massaging which is $16.00 per hour like all other Massage Envy's. Only desk sales/desk help make $8.00 per

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

mas in Indian Wells in Palm Desert, California

47 months ago

Wait till you experience cruise ship spas. You only get 7,25% comm. COMMISSION ONLY on what you bring in, then pray for gratuities, nevermind the hours. I call them 'blood suckers' but you know, if you were big and good enough you would not have to work for any of these. Take what you can get out of it and then go. . . . experience. They provide a good environment for the client, make sure the appointmens roll in and all you have to do is 'work and go home'. Try and run your own business and employ people and see how tough it is. I have been on both sides, I know what I am talking about. An employer and employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

jealousysux in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

47 months ago

i am a massage therapist that was recently FREED from the wage SLAVERY of Massage Evil, here in OKC. really, this is a simple formula. the same corporate conglomerate that owns "Pizza Sl*t" and "Taco H*ll" own "Massage Evil". This alone bespeaks volumes of how employees at the "Evil" will be treated. How much do you think frikin' "Taco H*ll" cares for its workers? these are really dark times... "Massage Evil" is really just another evil corporation looking to exploit people period. whether those people are the therapists(who seem to get the worst of it most often) or front desk staff, managers or even the owners as we have heard. its an evil frikin' corporation and its gonna try to exploit somebody. it just cant exist if it doesn't. Bottom Line - Don't go to the ME. Don't go to the Evil. talk to friends and everyone you know when the opportunity arises. Therapists - get together with friends from school, people you meet and trust. Be creative and supportive and work to manifest GOOD alternatives to EVIL corporations. God Have Mercy Upon the Human Race.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

pinky32 in ocala, Florida

41 months ago

SuperDave316 said: For anyone looking for a job with Massage Envy, think again! I am speaking from experience, they promise hourly plus commission, but you never get hourly. $15 an hour is an outrage and an insult to any M.therapist in the field, and they have no respect for their therapists. You'll deal with repeat customers who will harass you,be rude, perverted, and M. Envy will welcome them back with open arms. Trust me, if you thought about working for them ,go somewheres else, it is not worth it.[/QUO

WHERE WAS THE LOCATION WHERE YOU WORKED AT MASSAGE ENVY I'M GOING TO SCHOOL IN THE FALL FOR MASSAGE AND I WANT TO APPLY AT MASSAGE ENVY IN NEW YORK REPLY BACK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LMT in Grayslake, Illinois

38 months ago

You know... Its ashame no one ever speaks about the positive. I believe massage is a right, not a privellage. Even in my own practice - I've refused to charge $100+ for a massage, thats absurd.

I for one commend Massage Envy for their attempts at making massage affordable, accessible, and creating an awareness. Unlike its competitor, Heavenly Massage - ME has never been shut down for illegal activities.

I'm sorry to hear about all of the negative experiences, but perhaps you simply had a bad owner. I was hired on and told I could get benefits - but they were very upfront when telling me they were ridiculously expensive and not that good. I made far more than $15/hr starting out, I named my hours, I could take off as I pleased with sufficient notice (1-2 weeks for a day, a month or two for a week).

I enjoyed the girls I worked with - I knew I could make more per massage elsewhere, but elsewhere would also not guarantee me the bookings, not supply everything, not break down my room for me, it wasn't the setting for me.

I believe in doing volunteer work, I believe massage is a right and not a privellage - and I will apologize to any owners of ME that are trying to make it work on behalf of LMT's that feel they are too good for everything and everyone. If you want to make 60+ a massage. Go ahead. Just remember your overhead, your quarterly taxes, and find yourself a nice high end area. I think ME has a great concept that is truly going to change the massage industry... and though some would argue for the worse... I have to say, for the better. I think everyone is entitled to massage, and too many LMTs feel that if you dont pay them at least 60+ a massage, your cheap, not worth their time, and you don't deserve one.

How awful it must be to be such a narrow minded individual.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

corerox89 in Round Lake, Illinois

33 months ago

sher4545 in Staten Island, New York said: What a shame that when searching "Massage" in google, Massage Envy comes up first. A company that not only cares nothing about the industry, but is working against all that has been achieved by self-respecting LMT's in recent years.

You can pay to show up first on Google. I'm sure that's what they did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cassidy in Miami, Florida

32 months ago

I worked for Massage Envy "McMassage Envy" fresh out of school, I needed the experience. It's the worse, I'd come in at 9a, and they give me a break a 9am, so then I wouldn't get anymore breaks until I left at 4p. Oh during your break you did laundry. It's an assembly line of bodies, your don't get moment to breathe or reenergize, there is no connection with the client, alot of the times I have no idea what the client looked like, it's rush rush rush, and get them out. As they say, "this is a business, not a spa, we have spa in our name but we are not a spa, money is what we are here to make". They don't care about their employee or their clients. Massage is a wonderful healing experience they are destroying it! Clients are ignorant if your really knew what a wonderful connecting massage was you wouldn't go to Massage Envy. You pay cheap, you get cheap! Unethical, they don't wash their blankets, they just say don't get them contaminated, no wiping down the table or bolsters, they have us doing laundry, because they have to save money, only sheets professionally washed. You have 2 minutes to ask your client "has anything changed in your medical history", what would you like done and for the client to disrobe and get on the table. If you go over your are to deduct it from the 50 minute massage, many times the client gets cheated out of their massage because they wanted to explain their issue, at the end of the massage you are not allowed to hang around to discuss anything else with the client because your have to rush to you next client. I am embarrassed to have them on my resume, but am grateful because it made me realize that at that time I really needed to work, but my professions is not all about money, but that I am a true and good Massage Therapist and I care about my client and their health!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Yorktown Heights, New York

27 months ago

If you are thinking of either owning or working for Massage Envy, please note: It is single-handedly the worse idea created. Esthetics and Massage Therapists are creative jobs not factory jobs. The horrible idea that a person can work this type of job by rote is absurd. I was offered a job there as an esthetician twice and both times I rejected the job, not because I don't need a job, but because I do not subscribe to their views of what the profession is. We are licensed by the state in which we live in for a reason. There is some degree of risk for doing our jobs and as such we need to respect the fact that some thought goes into it as well. Would we ask a doctor to mindlessly spit out work by the hour just to improve productivity? What would happen to patients going in for one thing and coming out with a diagnoses of something totally different and unrelated? Those could be potentially devastating results. I am not saying we are doctors, but for those of us who take this profession seriously, we are always educating ourselves and others. I would not work on a patient/client for under $40.00 an hour and a guarantee of at least 5 people a day - 5 days a week. To the massage therapists your body is your tool don't sell out for a couple of pennies a day because your career will be short and believe me your job is very physical...an average head weighs 12 lbs imagine! Massage Envy and other sweat shops like it cheapen, degrade and water down the professionalism of our careers as therapists. Just say no and maybe then they will just go away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aurora in Sacramento, California

25 months ago

Here's one better for you. My wife works at a M.E. and my Daughter works at another M.E. both owned by the same owner. In going over their client list and hours and then comparing it with the tips that were on each of the pay stubs, of the 47 appointments my wife had in her two week pay period she made $5.00 in tips per customer. We added my Daughters list and found the same thing.. $5.00 per customer. This has been going on for about 3 months now. These tips were all on credit cards and of course there is no way to trace them as we have been told...amazing how cash tips seem to be much more from the same customers but not when reported on the pay stub! I have heard the horror stories as well and agree some owners are out for the money and dont care about the customers or staff..It's time for a group of CMT to open their own shop.. put M.E. out of business or start hurting them where it count$$$$$

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

Real Therapist in Boston, Massachusetts

14 months ago

Here are six reasons why I feel you should not work at Massage Envy.

(1) ME solicits the clients, who may or may not be a good match for you, as a therapist. The vast majority of clients come, either out of mere curiosity as to the experience of Swedish massage or other modalities - solely for pleasure - or bargain hunting. There is no way for clients and therapists to vet each other beforehand. This brings me to my next point.

(2) They have sales associates torturing the client intake process. From a therapist's standpoint, this is incredibly bad practice. But it is consistent with a solely pleasure-based business model.

(3) Pleasure costs less than real therapy. Pleasure admittedly masks the real physiological problems experienced by a client. If you are genuinely interested in helping people with actual physical ailments, this is not the place for you. If you're a client, and you need real relief and guidance from more educated therapists, go somewhere else.

(4) The pay is abysmal. I have never been so taken advantage of in my life. The base pay is $15/hour, while clients pay a standard rate of $78. The ratio of 15/78, which is less than 20%, is even below market standards.

(5) Apparently they don't want career therapists who feel they have a genuine vocation. There are no continuing educational benefits, and there is no reimbursement for renewing your license and liability insurance coverage. It is clear that the business model only is good for obedient workers. Not genuine therapists. Just obedient workers.

(6) The previous reasons should at least adequately explain why there is extremely high turnover.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Real Therapist in Boston, Massachusetts

14 months ago

I want to make one thing clear: my grievances are not so much with the company, as it is with the franchise in which I am currently employed. Our manager (1) failed to take out workman's comp on his employees, resulting in injury and impoverishment for some of us - which is illegal - (2) does not pay for the hours we are there when we don't have clients scheduled (and I mean when it is not break time), and (3) violates corporate policy by refusing vacation pay to those who have been here more than a year. I will be in contact with corporate to report these violations.

TB in Fountain Valley, California

13 months ago

The first year was OK, until the owners dramatically changed how they ran their business and took advantage of the economy. For starters, the owners gave all the therapists a pay cut (our pay was already low enough). After the pay cut, Management and the Owners forced Therapists to sell the membership program to clients. Most of the MTs wanted to quit but at this time the economy was at its worst and so people were afraid to quit, like I mentioned before they took advantage of the horrible economy. They constantly changed the rules about time off making it harder to get time off and they tried to force us to change our set schedules to better fit the client demands or whatnot to make them more money. Massage Envy claims that they offer flexible schedules for employees but at my location, that is not true. Therapists were required to clean around the clinic and do the laundry during downtime (when we didn't have a massage booked) with no hourly wage. The Clinic Manager at the time didn't have any respect for the Massage Therapists, she even said one time with an attitude that we have to clean around the clinic "because that's what we get paid to do". She is must be mistaken because we don't get paid during our downtime. We only get paid when we have a massage appointment. Back to Back massages takes a toll on your body and you will more than likely be doing it here every work day. You also get the same about of money for any type of massage you do, which sucks. Because of all this Bull Sh**, the morale was extremely low and everyone was miserable. The owners were aware of this but didn't care. They are not concerned about the happiness of their employees. Only the almighty dollar.
Ok place to get experience but my advise is don't stay for more than a year. Their are other places that will pay you more and respect you. Massage Envy will make you think that their is nothing that is better but don't believe them. You just have to look hard and believe in yourself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

13 months ago

I once went to them, but I use a private LMT now, and after reading how they treat their employees, I won't ever go back.

Texas in Whitehouse, Texas

13 months ago

I am a massage therapist and I have an opportunity to open a massage envy in my community and I want to know what the feed back is amongst my fellow therapist:) I am also a spa owner so please don't be impractical.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

13 months ago

I won't go to a Massage Envy. I go to a LMT who is fantastic and I don't get that "chain retail" feel there.
I would urge anyone to patronize the small guy or gal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

PumaPam in Centereach, New York

12 months ago

Couldn't agree more! What a crap outfit! Hired me at $16 an hour than told me I would only get that when giving a massage. The other hours were MINIMUM WAGE!! Are you kidding me!! Try living in the North East on that salary! Cheap shysters should be closed down! Sweat shop exploitive mentality. What a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

PumaPam in Centereach, New York

12 months ago

Forgot to mention that they lured me in with an ad promising "$30 to $40 an hour including tips". Don't fall for it. WE ARE WORTH MORE. Respect yourself and your skills and avoid this dump!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.