Getting out of a massage envy membership

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 73)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

jk6024 in Chgo, Illinois

82 months ago

I'm thinking about canceling my Massage Envy membership. Does anyone know how hard it is to cancel a membership? I haven't looked at the contract yet, but I imagine there are penalities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (139) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

happy1234 in Elmhurst, Illinois

82 months ago

You have three days to cancel your contract, move 25 miles from any ME or get a letter from your doctor saying you cant have any massages. So cancel your contract if you still have time otherwise you are pretty much stuck with it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Betsy1 in Issaquah, Washington

79 months ago

To cancel your membership you have to go into the store and fill out a form, and then they charge you for another 30 days. I learned this the hard way because I talked to someone on the phone in August telling them that I wanted to cancel my membership and their response was "ok" (which I assumed meant that the account was canceled) and then realized 5 months later that they had been charging my credit card every month. I called and the person I talked to told me that no one could cancel without coming in and they didn't know why I thought I had already canceled my membership if I hadn't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

79 months ago

Betsy1 in Issaquah, Washington said: To cancel your membership you have to go into the store and fill out a form, and then they charge you for another 30 days. I learned this the hard way because I talked to someone on the phone in August telling them that I wanted to cancel my membership and their response was "ok" (which I assumed meant that the account was canceled) and then realized 5 months later that they had been charging my credit card every month. I called and the person I talked to told me that no one could cancel without coming in and they didn't know why I thought I had already canceled my membership if I hadn't.

You should read your contract. Don't quit with prepaids, though, as you will lose them. Have your massages before you quit if that's what you inted to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TaraW in Lake Saint Louis, Missouri

78 months ago

I too had a big struggle when I wanted to cancell my membership with Massage Envy. But I was cancelling due to poor services. I was instructed to send my request in writing and I did, then the shop owner called me and tryed to keep me signed up and offered me free services. I explained to him very nicely that I too am a LMT and I felt the 2 massages I had already received were of poor quality and I wished to no longer be a member. He credited my account and cancelled my membership, It's hard to argure poor service when I received 2 massages from 2 different therapists and was I more disappointed the second time.
Good Luck, Keep fighting, it's your money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey

77 months ago

Fed Up in Wilmette, Illinois said: I would discuss this matter with your credit card company. They may have some specific recommendations to help you deal with these people.

It's really too bad that this shameless company has do business this way!

Good luck - I hope you can resolve this issue quickly.

Please write to your attorney general about it and put something on www.ripoffreport.com about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

kazmo 21 in San Diego, California said: Can anyone advise on how to cancel a membership with Message Envy? When I signed up for my membership no one ever disclosed that there would be any fees or that you couldn't cancel. I was under the impression that I could cancel at anytime. When I called a month later to inquire about canceling my membership they said that I couldn't unless I lived 25 miles away from a center or if I had a doctor's note or pay a fee. Then they said that I could 'freeze' my account. Guess what? If you freeze your account, your membership gets extended to the length of time you had frozen your account for. What if you truly can't afford the membership due to a change in your financial situation?
I can't believe that a facility like this could have such a policy. It's like saying I need a doctor's note to get out of going to my regular hairstylist. Even gym memberships and phone companies aren't as strict with their cancellation policy. Any suggestions? Definitely, misrepresentation in my book.

You may want to file a report against them on www.ripoffreport.com and consider seeing a massage therapist in private practice who does not feel it necessary to trap you with a contract. Also, for the future, you should always read the fine print and remember in America the written word supercedes the spoken word. Telling a client one thing while a contract says another is a slimy corporate trick that Massage Envy used on you as they depend on the fact that most people do not read everything they are signing. I always do and when someone rushes me, which is another slimy trick, I say, "I'm reading." Unless I have been given all of the necessary time to read it, I will not sign it no matter who it came from. This prevents a lot of problems. I am a massage therapist myself who used to work at Massage Envy -- please feel free to look at the job category on Indeed to see how they exploit massage therapists too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

lmtwondering in Jacksonville, Illinois

76 months ago

TaraW in Lake Saint Louis, Missouri said: I too had a big struggle when I wanted to cancell my membership with Massage Envy. But I was cancelling due to poor services. I was instructed to send my request in writing and I did, then the shop owner called me and tryed to keep me signed up and offered me free services. I explained to him very nicely that I too am a LMT and I felt the 2 massages I had already received were of poor quality and I wished to no longer be a member. He credited my account and cancelled my membership, It's hard to argure poor service when I received 2 massages from 2 different therapists and was I more disappointed the second time.
Good Luck, Keep fighting, it's your money.

Hi, what massage envy did you go to?
There are quite a few that have a terrible rep

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

lmtwondering in Jacksonville, Illinois

76 months ago

kazmo 21 in San Diego, California said: Can anyone advise on how to cancel a membership with Message Envy? When I signed up for my membership no one ever disclosed that there would be any fees or that you couldn't cancel. I was under the impression that I could cancel at anytime. When I called a month later to inquire about canceling my membership they said that I couldn't unless I lived 25 miles away from a center or if I had a doctor's note or pay a fee. Then they said that I could 'freeze' my account. Guess what? If you freeze your account, your membership gets extended to the length of time you had frozen your account for. What if you truly can't afford the membership due to a change in your financial situation?
I can't believe that a facility like this could have such a policy. It's like saying I need a doctor's note to get out of going to my regular hairstylist. Even gym memberships and phone companies aren't as strict with their cancellation policy. Any suggestions? Definitely, misrepresentation in my book.

thats funny
Our massage envy tells people when they sign membership and I quote "if for any reason you did want to get out of your membership its no problem. Other massage envys wont let you do it but we will" its fuuny how one massage evny wont do it and another will

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Fed Up in Wilmette, Illinois

74 months ago

lovelife in Fort Worth, Texas said: it amazes me how people whine when can't get their way. Contracts are legal documents. when u sign one for any purpose, that's it til the term of the contract. example a cell phone, just because u know longer want that ph with that provider or u don't have the money to pay your bills, all bills are still due.
Please just think about things before u decide to sign any contract, then u won't have to worry about it. u could've had at least 2 massages at this place before u actually decided to become a member. how many people sign up with bally's or 24 hr a contract for 1 year and only go 1-5 times. u can't cancel that, same thing here. just remember that before u sign any contract anywhere for any purpose. Massage envy doesn't have to cancel just because u want them to and it doesn't make them bad, it's just Business. and no i don't own one or care about them in any way.

What about when the unsuspecting consumer is ripped off? When the therapist shorts their treatment and only gives a 44 minute massage? That happend to me. What about if the company just plain stinks like Massage Envy does??? Get real!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

kazmo 21 in San Diego, California

74 months ago

Thank you to all who wrote and gave your opinion and advise. To those of you who just wanted to complain for the sake of complaining like 'lovelife in Fortworth Texas' - I'm glad that my posting gave you an outlet. Let's keep comments positive and if you don't have anything positive or helpful to add I'd prefer not to hear from you.

An update: my issues with Massage Envy were resolved to my satisfactory within one day of the posting. Thank you to everyone for their helpful comments. Have a wonderful life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Fed Up in Wilmette, Illinois

74 months ago

kazmo 21 in San Diego, California said: Let's keep comments positive and if you don't have anything positive or helpful to add I'd prefer not to hear from you. QUOTE]

Excuse me??????? This is an open forum and it's really darned ridiculous for you to tell us what to say in here. If the company stinks as Massage Envy does, then let's tell the truth about it and not sugar-coat a turd! Thanks for minding your own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

To Kazmo 21:
If Massage Envy were positive we would not have over 3,000 posts on here. Massage Envy is a cancer. Better franchises, self-employment, and a massage union are the cures.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

F-Bomb in Los Angeles, California

74 months ago

Thank you!!

Kazmo 21 - this forum is not a commercial for Massage Envy. It's a place for people to share their real experiences, whether good or bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Patti Garcia in Oakland, California

74 months ago

This is the worse company for getting out of a membership. I have been trying for two months now. I wrote the letter like they ask but still they keep taking out the payments from my bank. I now have to close my account at my bank to stop them. I am very upset and wish you all luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

To Patti,
I sympthasize with you. For your next massage, you should consider going to someone in private practice. Often it is the same price ($60) as Massage Envy or more, but you are not trapped; if you do not like the massage, you are not charged the next month and can look for someone else. With private practice, you simply pay as you go. I had worked at Massage Envy very briefly -- they exploit their therapists with sub standard pay. I see clients privately now and have no memberships.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

DidiMD in Buford, Georgia

73 months ago

Good Luck - Even when you play by their rules they are deceptive and unethical. I went in to cancel my membership. I paid my $52.00 cancellation fee with my debit card. Well, as many of the responses indicate they charge you for an additional 30 days anyway. So, what they decided to do is use my debit card WITHOUT MY PERMISSION to charge the additional month. When I contacted them, the Manager told me if I didn't "squirm" my way out of paying them they would not have to use these tactics of recovering their money. I filed a BBB Complaint and the Managers response was just outrageous. He spent more time insulting me than actually defending his position. THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER SEEN --- I WOULD WARN ANYONE AND EVERYONE I COME ACROSS NOT EVEN TO STEP FOOT IN THERE.... ITS MY NEW MISSION. PASS IT ON

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

DidiMD in Buford, Georgia

73 months ago

Charlie1178 in San Antonio, Texas said: Listen, you sign a contract with this company. It doesn't matter if they properly explain it to you or not, you are an adult and are responsible for reading it. You should have gotten a copy of it to read over.

But if you really need to get out of it, I would ask my doctor for a note. Tell him you feel sick afterwards and they said you need a doctors note. Then ask to speak to the Clinic Administrator or Owner and tell them you don't want to be charged again since you have a medical excuse and you want all of your pre-paids either transfered to a family member, or refunded to you. All CA's give in eventually if you give them enough problems. They don't get paid enough to want to deal with it.

Although I agree this would have been an easy way out, I don't understand why I would have to lie to a company to get out. What sickens me - is that I was honest and went in to pay the "punishment fee" they required. Yet, that was not enough. Moreover, the practice of keeping cards on file and simply using them as needed is what I CAN'T UNDERSTAND!

73 months ago

To DidiMD,
Thank you for sharing. Please feel free to share your Massage Envy experience with your local newspaper, radio station (if any), and television stations to protect the public and to underscore the importance of going to a reputable company/person for massage.

DoreenE in Florham Park, New Jersey

73 months ago

I don't get it...you signed a contract and now that you want out of it, you think you're being scammed? Makes no sense to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (64) Reply - Report abuse

Dan_W in Edison, New Jersey

72 months ago

Considering the fact that your the Clinic Administrator of the Massage Envy in Florham Park it's understandable that you'd say that. However, if people feel that they're not receiving quality massages or customer service then why should they continue with a contract that is not being honored on ME's end?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

72 months ago

Dan_W in Edison, New Jersey said: Considering the fact that your the Clinic Administrator of the Massage Envy in Florham Park it's understandable that you'd say that. However, if people feel that they're not receiving quality massages or customer service then why should they continue with a contract that is not being honored on ME's end?

Guess you don't understand contracts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado said: Guess you don't understand contracts.

I understand them quite well. If you had paid attention to what I said you would have noticed the part where I said "if people feel that they're not receiving quality massages or customer service then why should they continue with a contract that is not being honored on ME's end?"

Are you suggesting that Massage Envy has no responsibility to uphold their end of the contract once they have the Client's money? Because from what I've read on this blog as well as many others, that seems to be the consensus of many dissatisfied Client's from all over the U.S. who spoke about the difficulties of getting out of their contracts once they felt that they were not getting the service that they paid good money for.

If that is your opinion, may I ask how long you've worked for Massage Envy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

LMT Georgia in Atlanta, Georgia

71 months ago

It amazes me that people feel it is alright to bad mouth a company for holding clients to a contract that they signed by their own accord. If you feel you are justified in walking away from a contract for two fail attempts then clearly you did not make the attempt to find the right therapist for you. Every therapist is not for every person. I think I am a very good and skilled therapist but I know that the style of work I do will not always be accecpted by every client. I feel it is shameful to to say that you should be able to get out of a contract just because you want to. LA fitness makes you pay for the first month and the last 3 months just to make sure they are compensated for the break in contract. I just left verizon wireless after 1year of a 2yr contract and they charged me 135 to leave, but I am not crying on a forum that this is bad business or a shady deal when I had poor service 2 for 2 months before I cancelled. That is the price of signing a contract.

It Is also outlined in the contract that there is a 30 cancelation period and clients are also told that prepaids are removed upon the cancellation date. All of which you sign and acknowledge before you leave the store. If you had questions about what you were you were signing then you shouldn't have signed. No one made you do it. Read what you are signing it is as simple as that.

I tell assist everyone at the clinic I run in finding the right therapist as we have 20 different massage therapist and 20 different way of working on a body. Sure you could go to see a therapist in a privet practice but you may have to go through a few before you find the right one for you. Then you have to deal with not being able to get in or working around their hours. ME takes care of all of that having therapist available and hours that you can get in. And if you don't like being in a contract then pay the 65 and stop whinning. No one made you sign. It should not be seen as a crime to be firm with a contract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

LMT Georgia:
No, it is not a crime to be firm with a contract, but that works two ways. Massage Envy commits itself as well when using a contract. Even though I had worked at a Massage Envy briefly, I had not actually seen the Massage Envy contract and wish there would happen to be one shown on this Forum. It would follow that someone getting a $39 massage is going to expect the similar quality when he/she returns and that is where the problem is. There is a revolving door at Massage Envy and the therapists are not all of comparable skill, so the client does not feel that they are getting what they paid for. By the way, while being firm with a contract is not a crime, it is against the law to breach a contract (civil law) and contracts are construed against the party that wrote them, in this case, Massage Envy. That is per the Uniform Commercial Code.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

If you have never seen a contract then you have no leg to stand on when citing how it should be when cancelling said contract. You call it a revolving door but really what you are missing is not everyone that has left our establishment is not upset with us. I have let some of my greatest therapists walk away and go to other places that they feel will be better in the long run for them. Though saddened they may be it is a choice to work here and most often times their choice to leave. Is that same breath I would also like to point out that some of the therapists that do leave do come back having been in the market and seen that way they are treated and wanted to come back and work for us. We also let go some therapists for not being professionals. I am not going to sway your mind about us but know all of the facts about a company you so lovingly like to bad mouth.

You seem to think that paying 39 for a massage is a bad thing and that all of our therapists are right out of school and know nothing. I beg to differ. Just because you pay more at your personal practice does not mean you are a better therapist then I am for working for a company where people pay 39. The difference between you and I is that I use my skills to educate the people and make them feel good because that is what I got into this field for. I am here to help people in their everyday lives.

Bottom line of this conversation is that a contract is an agreement between two parties, when one tries to default there should be penalties and every company BUT massage that uses contracts has an early termination fee. We use a 30 policy not to penalize, but to allow clients to use their remaining massages before they are removed from the system. Until you have read a contract from our store and know it inside and out like I do there is no need to comment back to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

LMT Georgia in Atlanta, Georgia said:

"Bottom line of this conversation is that a contract is an agreement between two parties, when one tries to default there should be penalties."

(Really, and what is ME's penalty when they default by providing poor service? It certainly isn't a refund.)

"If you have never seen a contract then you have no leg to stand on when citing how it should be when cancelling said contract. Until you have read a contract from our store and know it inside and out like I do there is no need to comment back to me."

Here are some comments made by ME customers who've "enjoyed" ME's contracts and the "professionalism" that they also received from various ME's. Since these people have "seen" and "read" ME's contracts, are you saying that they don't know what they're talking about? Different people dealing with different ME's in different cities, yet the same contract, policies and customer service?

Here was a couple who somehow found themselves bound to a contract they did not ask for after taking a "special deal" on 3 massages.
www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/331/RipOff0331032.htm

Here is a woman who continued to be charged 7 months after her contract expired despite numerous calls to the ME clinic and even corporate.
www.insiderpages.com/b/15245100083

Another former Client who continued to be charged months after she cancelled her contract.
phoenix.citysearch.com/review/41763640/2088628

I could add another 30 links just like these if you feel that you haven't "read" enough about how well ME treats their clients. "Excellent customer service" are 3 words I've never heard in the same sentence when it comes to ME. Unless it's from one of their own advertisements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

LMT Georgia in Atlanta, Georgia said:

"Bottom line of this conversation is that a contract is an agreement between two parties, when one tries to default there should be penalties."

(Really, and what is ME's penalty when they default by providing poor service? It certainly isn't a refund.)

"If you have never seen a contract then you have no leg to stand on when citing how it should be when cancelling said contract. Until you have read a contract from our store and know it inside and out like I do there is no need to comment back to me."

Here are some comments made by ME customers who've "enjoyed" ME's contracts and the "professionalism" that they also received from various ME's. Since these people have "seen" and "read" ME's contracts, are you saying that they don't know what they're talking about? Different people dealing with different ME's in different cities, yet the same contract, policies and customer service?

Here was a couple who somehow found themselves bound to a contract they did not ask for after taking a "special deal" on 3 massages.
www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/331/RipOff0331032.htm

Here is a woman who continued to be charged 7 months after her contract expired despite numerous calls to the ME clinic and even corporate.
www.insiderpages.com/b/15245100083

Another former Client who continued to be charged months after she cancelled her contract.
phoenix.citysearch.com/review/41763640/2088628

I could add another 30 links just like these if you feel that you haven't "read" enough about how well ME treats their clients. "Excellent customer service" are 3 words I've never heard in the same sentence when it comes to ME. Unless it's from one of their own advertisements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Catroast in Vancouver, Washington

64 months ago

Any company that makes you feel taken after you get schooled about their contract is a BAD company. Period.
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE JERKS AT MASSAGE ENVY.
And lesson learned: don't sign contracts. And if you do, have a lawyer read it first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

1anonymous in Greenville, South Carolina

63 months ago

Here are the cancellation requirements to terminate your contract. 1.) 3 day grace period available after signing. 2.) you move and there is no M.E. within 25 miles of you. 3.) You are unable to recieve massages for medical reasons. Just a note of advice before signing any contract read and understand what you are signing. If you do not then you are liable to fulfill your contract. These are just people who are working to pay there bills so why attack a company or it's employee's for just doing their job? If you feel your service was poor, voice this to a manager so they can deal with the problem and make sure you are taken care of as well. Personally, I've only had good experiences w/ this company. It's helped me to deal w/ chronic pain without breaking my bank acct. To me it's the best $50 I've ever spent! I can not comment on other clinics, however the one i go to is very clean and the staff are wonderful, the therapist's are great. no complaints:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

annew in Bedford, Texas

60 months ago

I signed up in NJ when I was visiting and needed a massage. I was told I would have no problem using and managing my account in TX where I live. I fulfilled my 6 month contract & been month to month for 7 months when my cc was replaced by my bank. I called the ME where I joined in NJ and kept getting a message that the phone number was disconnected. This went on for a week. I figured I would update my info when I went in for my massage in TX that week.
I find out that they can't update my billing info - only where I signed up can. So I told them the number was disconnected. They try calling and got the same message. They call corporate who tells them they have no idea if that location is still in business or not. TX tells me that my account is suspended and I can't use my pre-paid massages in my account until I straighten everything out with NJ- but no one can contact them.
TX manager finds out the name of the regional developer of the NJ and gives me his number, I also ask for the corporate number. I call and leave a message at both. Don't get a response, but it's Friday. I call back on Monday - left messages - no responses. I email via the corporate ME website –no response. I try calling the NJ clinic again -disconnected. The local ME manager has gotten no responses either. So I cancel my contract in writing to the ME in NJ.
I don't hear anything, but I figure they are out of business and my letter has just gone with their other mail to regional. This was 5/11/09. Today 7/23/09 I receive a letter from them stating my account is past due and I owe them $315.65. Assuming they are charging me 3 months of membership + sales tax + 3 $10 late fees, that's still more than $96 over the amount that could be due according to their own agreement. They also said that they have called me numerous times, but upon pulling all incoming phone records, I have no phone calls from the TX, NJ, developer or corporate office showing. They have a valid email for me too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rippedoff in Fayetteville, Arkansas

60 months ago

I signed up at the massage envy in Rogers, AR. They bullied me when I asked to get out of the contract. Luckily as of today Congressman Boozman's office contacted me saying they will help file a Better Business Bureau petition. This has to be one of the worst cases of corporate deception I have ever seen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

funkadelic in Oakland, California

59 months ago

Also, in California, don't these contracts come with a 5 day cancellation per CA contract law (ie. you can cancel within 5 business days of initial sign up with no penalty)? Can anyone verify this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Laura111 in Spartanburg, South Carolina

58 months ago

Last payment on my contract was taken out of my acct in August....no problem. Now it's Sept and another payment was debited. Hmmmm...I called the Massage Envy branch and was told (nicely) that I am on a "month to month" to "protect" my prepaid massages.....What ? She pulled my original contract and said that I had initialled that box stating to pay month to month. Ok...No problem with that either. Just cancel please and life will be good. Ok but you'll lose all your prepaids...WHAT ? I have at least 6 prepaids available and now I must pay each month or LOSE THEM???????? I don't think so. They are messing with the WRONG person. I'll smear them all over the evening news and in the daily newspapers til I get what's right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

sher4545 in Staten Island, New York

58 months ago

Hope you're all blogging and also telling EVERYONE YOU KNOW about your misfortune & frustrating experiences with Massage Envy. It's a damn shame what this company does to people who are just trying to find relaxation. SHAME ON MASSAGE ENVY!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

It is unfortunate that you feel Massage Envy is wrong for removing prepaid liability when a client cancels their membership. First and foremost i can not stress this enough, read your contract! The first page will have on it that your prepaids are only available to you while your membership is current and active. Having the massages each month is a member benefit and when you are no longer a member that benefit is over. I would love to see anyone that disagrees with this get into a contract with AT&T for a cell phone, we all know they have roll over minutes, save up 1000 minutes and try to use those minutes after the contract is terminated! Or go get a membership at a gym and not go in for 3 or 4 months cancel the membership then try to go into their facility and use their equipment and tell them it's because "you didn't have time to come in before". The will all tell you NO! So why is it "Shame on Massage Envy" for removing prepaids when a client is no longer a member? It is a member perk. The clinics will even give you 30 days to use the massages. Massage Envy want you to use them that is why most clinics will call you to remind you of another massage to be used. When you no longer pay for the service, why are you entitled to use the use the service?

Laura111, If you have 6 prepaids to be used then double up and go in for a 2 hour massage and burn 2 massages right there. If a 2 hour is to long some locations will also offer Hot Stone massage where you can use 2 massages to pay for a 90 minute session. You still have 30 days to use them, one 2 hour or hot stone massage a week will get you caught up in 3 weeks. So, yes they are working with you. If you haven't already done so i would suggest that talk to the manager of the clinic and see what options they can provide you with to use them all up before the termination date or if a location is closer to you call them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

sher4545 in Staten Island, New York

58 months ago

LMT Georgia in Atlanta, Georgia said: read your contract!

Hmmmm, sounds relaxing!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

chicago555 in Downers Grove, Illinois

54 months ago

I started going to Massage Envy in Palatine beginning of 2009. Around June I went there to let them know I was not able to pay anymore and I needed to cancel account. They offered me they could freeze account for 6 months and if I will job by the time I could continue paying. Also when I signed up they told me it was month to month and if I needed to cancel it wouldn't be a problem. Yesterday January 27th I got a letter threatening me that they are sending me to collection because I have to pay for December and January. I was shocked because no one ever send me a notice that my account would unfreeze just a reminder. I called them and I said why do I have to pay $200 they said because you owe us December and January payment. I was like OK I will come and pay but I need to cancel my account afterwards. She was like NO WAY... you can't cancel until October 14th. Weird I started my membership in January and it should be done by now right? but I guess they extended my membership without telling me. Anyway now they expect me to pay $200 and plus $60 for February, Honestly I am not going to. I am not scared of those idiots either. I am not sure what kind of information they have about me but if they don't' have SSN they can't do anything. They can F....k off and Die.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Zombie in Houston, Texas

48 months ago

happy1234 in Elmhurst, Illinois said: You have three days to cancel your contract, move 25 miles from any ME or get a letter from your doctor saying you cant have any massages. So cancel your contract if you still have time otherwise you are pretty much stuck with it

HI I just signed the contract today. I didnt want to but they kinda forced me into it.
So I want to cancel by goin there tomorrow. Will they cancel my membership?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Zombie in Houston, Texas

48 months ago

kazmo 21 in San Diego, California said: Thank you to all who wrote and gave your opinion and advise. To those of you who just wanted to complain for the sake of complaining like 'lovelife in Fortworth Texas' - I'm glad that my posting gave you an outlet. Let's keep comments positive and if you don't have anything positive or helpful to add I'd prefer not to hear from you.
An update: my issues with Massage Envy were resolved to my satisfactory within one day of the posting. Thank you to everyone for their helpful comments. Have a wonderful life.

HI I just signed the contract today. I didnt want to but they kinda forced me into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lilravven in Northfield, Minnesota

47 months ago

lovelife in Fort Worth, Texas said: it amazes me how people whine when can't get their way. Contracts are legal documents. when u sign one for any purpose, that's it til the term of the contract. example a cell phone, just because u know longer want that ph with that provider or u don't have the money to pay your bills, all bills are still due.
Please just think about things before u decide to sign any contract, then u won't have to worry about it. u could've had at least 2 massages at this place before u actually decided to become a member. how many people sign up with bally's or 24 hr a contract for 1 year and only go 1-5 times. u can't cancel that, same thing here. just remember that before u sign any contract anywhere for any purpose. Massage envy doesn't have to cancel just because u want them to and it doesn't make them bad, it's just Business. and no i don't own one or care about them in any way.

You are right on, I wish more people would take ownership for the mistakes that they make instead of blaming others. That is one of the biggest downfalls in our country. It's never your fault.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs. Right in Miami, Florida

47 months ago

lilravven in Northfield, Minnesota said: You are right on, I wish more people would take ownership for the mistakes that they make instead of blaming others. That is one of the biggest downfalls in our country. It's never your fault.

Okay I want you people who are making others feel stupid or not as intelligent as you to think about something...these people who work there are paid extra for how many people they can trick into signing up for this...they hit you up right when you get out of your massage, when you are half asleep and happy, they all tell you different selling ploys(LIES sometimes from what I can see above) AND give you an ultimadum if you don't do it your first time then you don't get the free visit...which is there biggest selling point Or, you have to pay full price next time. Also, you may have the contact in writing but it states nothing about a grace period...so how well formed is this contact per the actual agreement made by the customer? Not very well done!
IN MY EXPERIENCE: I got so sore and was in more pain than before I went in! It didn't hit me until I started to feel parts of my arms that had huge knots hrs later! Soooo, I signed my contract, it was a good deal, I had read it...but sh*t happens, just like money problems come about, and you need to be let out...so not every situation is the same, but where I work...we don't say NO..and that right there its why this business does not have a good rep! And we are talking about massages, a phycial feeling that is temporary...not a material item like a cell phone...before you knwo it they will be having kids sign a contract to go to the playground and have fun, messed up world:P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lilravven in Rochester, Minnesota

47 months ago

I have gone into a massage envy for a massage and my experience was very different. They gave me the $39.00 intro price and asked me a few questions. There was no pressure to join and I never even got handed a contract. It sounds to me like you encountered some employees who were dishonest in the way they handled their jobs. I guarantee that Massage Envy the company does not teach them to do that. All jobs require there employees to make and acheive goals. That is the only way to make a profitable business. And if you are an adult, you say can I please have a copy of the contract to review before I sign it, take it home and bring it back or you just pay the regular rates which actually are very fair prices. I have paid more for a massage many times. It is the customer who is at fault if they sign it without knowing the details. Do you drink and drive and have an accident and then blame it on Captain Morgan? Grow up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Zombie in Houston, Texas said: HI I just signed the contract today. I didnt want to but they kinda forced me into it.

There is no forcing you into it. You simply pay and walk out. The end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs. Right in Miami, Florida

47 months ago

lilravven in Rochester, Minnesota said: I have gone into a massage envy for a massage and my experience was very different. They gave me the $39.00 intro price and asked me a few questions. There was no pressure to join and I never even got handed a contract. It sounds to me like you encountered some employees who were dishonest in the way they handled their jobs. I guarantee that Massage Envy the company does not teach them to do that. All jobs require there employees to make and acheive goals. That is the only way to make a profitable business. And if you are an adult, you say can I please have a copy of the contract to review before I sign it, take it home and bring it back or you just pay the regular rates which actually are very fair prices. I have paid more for a massage many times. It is the customer who is at fault if they sign it without knowing the details. Do you drink and drive and have an accident and then blame it on Captain Morgan? Grow up!

I don't have time to fully reply to your nonsense...but you didn't get my point at all, and the fact that you felt the drinking and driving comparison valid...well it's obvious who needs to do the growing up here...talk about being an adult and reading over things, you should re read whar you are about to post before doing so, cause that really just is not at all a similar scenario.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

It is a valid comparison because everyone knows not to do it. The same is said to signing a legal document. Don't do it unless you are fully aware of the consequences. The point was not that you should drink and drive it was to prove how silly it would be to try to blame the company that sold you alcohol for the mistake that you made by starting the car. There is no reason to blame the sales reps because you took out your credit card and signed on the dotted line. All companies teach their sales reps to ask for a sale. If they did not, they would not be in business for very long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

lssthan3 in Virginia

45 months ago

I'm an ex-"sales associate" of a Massage Envy location and hope to enlighten some of you on Massage Envy's policies and what's happening on the other end of the phone line when discussing your account.
Every front desk person you encounter at Massage Envy is a Sales Associate. When hired, it's clearly explained that our job is SALES. Massage Envy makes its money off of these memberships, not off of the cheap massages. Our training is all in sales: how to "pitch" the membership, how to respond to objections, how to get people to sign up. Above all else, you don't get to keep your job if you don't sell.

Part of the pitch is putting the contract in front of you and explaining it. At this point, the commitment is glossed over, but you should pay attention. You will be told that it's a twelve month membership, and after the initial term, it continues on a month-to-month basis, at which point you can cancel at any point with a 30 day notice. Stop them here! Ask what happens if you want to cancel before that point. You will be told of the freezing option: Basically stop payments for up to 6 months, but you ARE liable for those payments still, and your membership initial term will be extended for the number of months you freeze for. Otherwise, your only options are moving (25 miles from any ME location), getting a note from your doctor saying you can no longer receive massage, or pay out the rest of your contract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lssthan3 in Virginia

45 months ago

In addition (because comment space is limited):

The options they'll skip over:
You CAN ask to not auto-renew. It is entirely possible for you to edit your contract and remove the auto-renew. Initial this when you do so, and make the front desk associate initial it too. They have to honor this.
You don't HAVE to get a year-long contract. Most locations will waive their enrollment fee on the 12 month only, but if you bug the front desk associate long enough, they'll waive it on the 6 month as well, just to keep their sales percentage up, even if they'll catch some flak from their boss for it later.
There are also 3 month, 6 month, and 12 month paid-in-full options. The enrollment fee on the 3 month is automatically waived in their computer system, so tell them you want to get the three month "gift" membership. It's 3 months paid up front, and then you can auto-renew it at their standard rate (most locations are $59 a month, so the paid up front is $177, but this may vary) without being caught into a year-long contract. You can cancel at ANY time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ANiceRack in La Habra, California

41 months ago

Since Massage Envy never mentioned I was signing up for a year contract and they have tried to keep me in a membership I dont want let me share something with everyone.

They will allow you to cancel your membership (without penalty) if you get a note from your doctor. This is too good to be true, here is why!!!!

No doctor or office staff can discuss your medical history past or present with anyone unless you fill out a release that gives them permission and those forms are very personal and direct. Without that form a doctors office can not even verify writing you a note. Therefore any note you take to Massage Envy can not be authenticated with your doctor. So you could forge your own and sign your dentists name because they can not call to discuss with him why he wrote the note.

Second way to get out of your contract.....call and report your CC lost. You will be issued a new card with numbers, it will also work with a bank account but would have to be based on a lost checkbook and then they will close your account make a brand new one and you will have to buy new checks and go through a bit more hassle of changing any auto pays etc you were doing. I used to work in a bank and the regional manager was in our building. I used to over hear calls everyday to her assistant from people upset about gym auto pays. Once she told me how easy it was to stop them but how she was not allowed to suggest people do it. The bank wont carry your auto pay onto the new account its up to the customers to give out the new account info. Just dont try and say you lost your debit card they dont have your actual bank account info on them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Bethesda, Maryland

40 months ago

ANiceRack in La Habra, California said:
Second way to get out of your contract.....call and report your CC lost. You will be issued a new card with numbers, it will also work with a bank account but would have to be based on a lost checkbook and then they will close your account make a brand new one and you will have to buy new checks and go through a bit more hassle of changing any auto pays etc you were doing. I used to work in a bank and the regional manager was in our building. I used to over hear calls everyday to her assistant from people upset about gym auto pays. Once she told me how easy it was to stop them but how she was not allowed to suggest people do it. The bank wont carry your auto pay onto the new account its up to the customers to give out the new account info. Just dont try and say you lost your debit card they dont have your actual bank account info on them.

Well, wont they send me a bill then for the amount remaining for the year? They say in the contract they will send deliquent payments to collections. I dont want to ruin my credit score.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.