underpayment and no benefits

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 90)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Deni in Altamonte Springs, Florida

84 months ago

Michell S. in Summerville, South Carolina said: We in Charleston do have benefits, tips change from day to day from $0-&50. So tips are not controlled. We get raises monthly, and for the practical its usually the owner, someone who is from corporate, or corporate who once was a therapist and have moved up in the company. So sorry underpaid that everywhere, every job....benefits we do have and check your heart. are you in this only for the money or to heal people and reap the benefits that way?

I AM IN THIS TO HEAL AND UNITE BODY SOUL AND MIND, 15 BUCKS AN HOUR IS NOT WORTH THIS!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND ALL THAT HAVE BETTER EXPERIENCES!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jade in Yorba Linda, California

84 months ago

I am a new grad (Massage Therapist) my instructor told our class very professionally bu tdirectly about this corporation, I did no tlisten and now I have a lower lumbar injury from overload of clients on a daily basis, I wish I had istened to her, she really knew her stuff about these guys!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

katie in Sammamish, Washington

84 months ago

Massage Envy cheapens the profession. When they came to my area several of us in the community who had recently started practices had to explain to our clients why we couldn't possibly afford to give them a massage for $35. Good luck to those of you that can afford to live on $15 a massage - I certainly couldn't. I'd have to kill my body in order to make enough to feed myself and that is NOT why I got into massage! I can tell you I'm not in it for the money but I'm also not in it to be on welfare. $15/hr might be good money in some areas but here it's pretty much poverty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Rockwall, Texas

84 months ago

Please lets make it clear it is not $15 per hour it's $15 per massage wit increase to 90min and 120min and god forbid you do a 30 min you make $7.50. I know I can not survive when there is down time and not getting paid for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mel, Dallas Texas in Denton, Texas

84 months ago

One must think about the downsides and upsides to a Massage Envy. $15 an hour does not sound like much.. but RARELY, do any of us make the $65-$75 an house that we were promised in school. If you do, GOOD JOB! What the heck is your overhead costs? I've been working at a Massage Envy for over a year now and like most, have had some issues. But THINK about it people. You went to school for a small amount of time- A massage therapy license is NOT a degree. Most jobs with degree requirements don't have benefits. Stop thinking that they are out there. At these times, it's nice to be a massage therapist in a GUARENTEED schedule with little to no downtime in appointments. I like having a booked schedule that personally, all I have to do is massage. If you run your own place, you do everything else. I get to just spend time with my clients. WHICH IS THE POINT OF MASSAGE THERAPY. If you really think you are one of the minute few that can work for $100 an hour, with little to no overhead, GET OVER IT. It's a good, decent JOB for a massage therapist. I have WORKED for 50% commission and did not get anywhere NEAR this amount of money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

No Name in Lubbock, Texas

82 months ago

Deni in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: I AM IN THIS TO HEAL AND UNITE BODY SOUL AND MIND, 15 BUCKS AN HOUR IS NOT WORTH THIS!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND ALL THAT HAVE BETTER EXPERIENCES!

Shame, shame. Why are you shouting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Kay Warren in Colfax, North Carolina

82 months ago

An earlier poster commented that MTs went to ME looking for jobs. In NC, they have purchased our contact informaiton from the State license board. I have received a number of solicitations by both e-mail and snail mail, asking me to attend "open houses" held at massage schools. I specialize in clinical work, so I have NO desire to work there.

Just thought I'd let you know that they are doing active recruiting, and for someone who doesn't have experience in the field, or is young and doesn't have a lot of life experience, and can look like a good deal.

ME is a franchise, and I'm sure there are few good owners out there who respect their MTs, and work with them to schedule them appropriately, but I'm not betting any of my time or money on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

ericbryant in Pelzer, South Carolina

81 months ago

Kay Warren in Colfax, North Carolina said: An earlier poster commented that MTs went to ME looking for jobs. In NC, they have purchased our contact informaiton from the State license board. I have received a number of solicitations by both e-mail and snail mail, asking me to attend "open houses" held at massage schools. I specialize in clinical work, so I have NO desire to work there.

Just thought I'd let you know that they are doing active recruiting, and for someone who doesn't have experience in the field, or is young and doesn't have a lot of life experience, and can look like a good deal.

ME is a franchise, and I'm sure there are few good owners out there who respect their MTs, and work with them to schedule them appropriately, but I'm not betting any of my time or money on it.

eric bryant

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LMT Susan in TN

81 months ago

I work at ME. I have a full schedule 90% of the time. With my tips I usually average $22-$25 an hour based on a weeks schedule including any downtime. I have no overhead, no cleaning duties except to leave my room in good shape at the end of the shift. I like it there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Denton, Texas

81 months ago

Actually Mary, most jobs don't pay you for breaks. Let;s not get into a conversation about the declining benefits in Corporate America. I would work a 6 hour shift with a 1 hour break. I would get (ON A LOW AVERAGE) a $10 tip per hour. Plus, because I had been there a year, $1 extra per service. Plus $1 for having deep tissue certification... PLUS $1 if it was a request therapist (and it usually was)... So I was averaging ON LOW END, $28/hour. So, let's see... 28 * 5.... $140 every Friday night if not more.

So yeah, I banked. Sorry if your Massage Envy lacked any extra benefits. I lived on this quite nicely with my husband also working there. We only had to work 4 days a week. Maybe your massage therapy skills were lacking, because mine were not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

bbspy in Rockwall, Texas

81 months ago

Mel the headline reads underpayment and no benefits. Since when does a personal attack this. It's about Massage Envy this is a franchise you might have a great owner but there are alot out there who use their therapist until they burn out. Take a good look at your self ......... What did you find? Shallow or are you an owner who is feeling a little guilt either way it's about Massage Envy not you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Rockwall, Texas

81 months ago

Hey Mel are you still working? past tense used. My skills are fine and I would put them up against yours any day of the week. i don't have to massage 5 clients any more to make $140 any more just 2 I don't have to set a schedule I work with my clients. keep up the good work god speed to you and your family. just remember there is life outside of ME

Mary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kenlin in san diego, California

81 months ago

Wow, that is exactly what happened to me. I hope that this business does not last.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Save yourself in Seattle, Washington

81 months ago

Massage envy does not take care of it's therapist period! MASSAGE ENVY = WAL-MART..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kenlin in Birmingham, Alabama

81 months ago

I agree, I am lucky that i saw the scam at the interview, and it did not sound right, as soon as they tell you how much you are going to make at the end of a 2 hour interview, you can tell that they are out to use you. So, I hope more and more people are seeing this and reading forums like these.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

fed up in Wilmette, Illinois

81 months ago

Kenlin in Birmingham, Alabama said: I agree, I am lucky that i saw the scam at the interview, and it did not sound right, as soon as they tell you how much you are going to make at the end of a 2 hour interview, you can tell that they are out to use you. So, I hope more and more people are seeing this and reading forums like these.

Scam is a good word here, very appropriate!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

No Name in Lubbock, Texas said: So you "massaged someone who was not a massage therapist" for the practical. Most of the people who come to the massage therapy schools for the internship massages are not massage therapists either.

Yeah, and when you're in internship...those clients aren't there to hire you to work in their "clinic" either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gina in Denver, Colorado

81 months ago

I worked at a Massage Envy for almost a year. The owner is a former CEO who, I believe, saw it as a get rich quick sceme. I imagine he's pretty shocked to find out that he has to actually WORK. The front desk staff were all untrained and one in particular like to boss the therapists around and she had a power trip. After multiple complaints and talking to her about "being nicer to people," do you think they fired her? No, they gave her a promotion to night manager. No, I'm not kidding. There were days when although I was scheduled within my set boundaries, I still felt like I was being worked to death. And, the clients most of the time were horrible. I was in a richer part of town and the clients were so snobby.

And then the pay was pathetic: $16 per hour massage. Raises could be up to a dollar. But then what can you expect of the McDonald's of the Massage World?

One of my friends still works there. She tells me that the front desk has been misleading the clients on the membership program and people have been cancelling. The idiot owner has been blaming the therapists.

I do not recommend this place to anyone. Period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

elsewhere in Burbank, California

81 months ago

Gina in Denver, Colorado said: I worked at a Massage Envy for almost a year. The owner is a former CEO who, I believe, saw it as a get rich quick sceme. I imagine he's pretty shocked to find out that he has to actually WORK. The front desk staff were all untrained and one in particular like to boss the therapists around and she had a power trip. After multiple complaints and talking to her about "being nicer to people," do you think they fired her? No, they gave her a promotion to night manager. No, I'm not kidding. There were days when although I was scheduled within my set boundaries, I still felt like I was being worked to death. And, the clients most of the time were horrible. I was in a richer part of town and the clients were so snobby.

And then the pay was pathetic: $16 per hour massage. Raises could be up to a dollar. But then what can you expect of the McDonald's of the Massage World?

One of my friends still works there. She tells me that the front desk has been misleading the clients on the membership program and people have been cancelling. The idiot owner has been blaming the therapists.

Wow Gina. That's really awful. I hear this stuff all the time about ME and that's why I am concerned about what it's doing the reputation of massage.

I hope you find a bewter place to work where you are treated better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Gina in Denver, Colorado said: I worked at a Massage Envy for almost a year. The owner is a former CEO who, I believe, saw it as a get rich quick sceme. I imagine he's pretty shocked to find out that he has to actually WORK. The front desk staff were all untrained and one in particular like to boss the therapists around and she had a power trip. After multiple complaints and talking to her about "being nicer to people," do you think they fired her? No, they gave her a promotion to night manager. No, I'm not kidding. There were days when although I was scheduled within my set boundaries, I still felt like I was being worked to death. And, the clients most of the time were horrible. I was in a richer part of town and the clients were so snobby.

Dear Gina, Thank you for sharing your story. I hope that many people read your post and it helps them understand the mess that the company is.

I like Elseware have grave concerns about what they are doing to our industry. Good for you for getting out of there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Shyn in Mountain View, California said: Everyone be aware of Massage Envy, they also target small business and building there business around them so they can take away their clients.

Maybe they will get some much needed karma coming their way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

This is for Gina in Denver, Erom: Worked at ME for 2days and quit in Atlanta, GA.

Thanks for your input. There are people like "power trip girl" everywhere you go, unfortunatley. It helps to remember that they feel small and insignificant and bully others to feel ok about their job/station in life.

Are you are still practicing massage? If so, did you have trouble when seeking other employment because you had worked at ME? If you are working in a new place how is it compared to your experience at ME?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LMT with 13 years experience in New York, New York

81 months ago

No Name in Lubbock, Texas said: So you "massaged someone who was not a massage therapist" for the practical. Most of the people who come to the massage therapy schools for the internship massages are not massage therapists either.

That makes no sense at all. When hiring, it is imperative that the evaluation of the applicant be made by someone who is trained to ask the proper clinical knowledge questions and assess the practical hands-on execution. IOW, another LMT.

In the clinical rotation internship positions in massage therapy schools, the clients are there for work with the clear proviso that they know they are being worked on by closely supervised, final semester students who are about to graduate and need to develop their practical/assessment/intake and execution skills so that they can incorporate them into a professional gestalt. The students are evaluated not by the clients, but by their instructors; the clients provide vital feedback, but they are not there to educationally assess in any formal manner.

You might as well say that because residents in a hospital practice on "laypeople" who are walk-ins off the street with illness, that it's okay if a hospital places a non-medical professional in the position of interviewing and assessing a potential MD as a hire. Not saying LMTs *are* MDs, but that's the parallel of your specious logic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yeah right in Peoria, Arizona

80 months ago

Michell S. in Summerville, South Carolina said: We in Charleston do have benefits, tips change from day to day from $0-&50. So tips are not controlled. We get raises monthly, and for the practical its usually the owner, someone who is from corporate, or corporate who once was a therapist and have moved up in the company. So sorry underpaid that everywhere, every job....benefits we do have and check your heart. are you in this only for the money or to heal people and reap the benefits that way?

shut up about check your heart. I would be fine with a barter system with everyone I do business with. It's not the money. If massage envy's heart was in the right place, they may actually pay a typical 60/40 split. but no, that would cut the owner's profit...so check YOUR brains

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Hey, a practical is a hands on interview...uh, wouldn't you want a therapist or former therapist who knows what they are doing? you know, knows how a massage is? knows what you shouldn't do in a massage? what is the point of your comment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

No Name in Lubbock, Texas said: Shame, shame. Why are you shouting?

you live in Lubbock...hahahahaha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

LMT Susan in TN said: I work at ME. I have a full schedule 90% of the time. With my tips I usually average $22-$25 an hour based on a weeks schedule including any downtime. I have no overhead, no cleaning duties except to leave my room in good shape at the end of the shift. I like it there!

I call BS...tips are about $10 because cheap people go to Massage Envy,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

LMT Susan in TN said: I work at ME. I have a full schedule 90% of the time. With my tips I usually average $22-$25 an hour based on a weeks schedule including any downtime. I have no overhead, no cleaning duties except to leave my room in good shape at the end of the shift. I like it there!

But you will go nowhere and if you want to make money you have to trade time. be happy, don't get injured, they don't care about you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LMT Susan in Spring Hill, Tennessee

80 months ago

Saturday I worked my shift, had a full schedule and made $60 in tips. 3 people only tipped $5, but I also got a $20 and $25 dollar tip. I was there for 7 hours that comes to $21.40 an hour. This is actually lower than my average due to the low tippers I had today.
I have never been under the illusion that the company or owner cares about me...it is my responsibility to take care of myself. I schedule regular massages and make sure my schedule requirements are made. ie: I get breaks when I need them, work the days I want to work etc.
No, ME is NOT the greatest job, the pay could be much better, but I have been really enjoying working there and now after only working there 3 months have started to get job offers. I will probably make a move but I still think it is not a bad place to work. You can get experience or use it to start to move into the field from another field. Several of the therapist have other jobs and work part time to get experience and supplement their income.
You can call BS if you want but this is my experience. I have 18 years experience in the massage field and I get rave reviews at work. I have a lot of requests and large tips. I changed to doing massage full time just this year.
I guess some of you only want to welcome people that agree with you that ME "is the devil" I think it is a stepping stone. The experience I am getting is invaluable. Also I have learned what I want to do different when I open my own clinic. (better pay for therapist at the top of the list)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

elsewhere in Burbank, California said: Mel- If your massage therapy skills are not lacking as you say, why are you at ME making such a low wage? My skills are pretty good. I get $150.00 to $200 per session. You should take those skills and get paid what you're worth.

Now that is BS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

LMT Susan in Spring Hill, Tennessee said: Now that is BS

No Susan it's not. It may seem that way to someone averaging $21.00 an hour at Massage Envy in Spring Hill, Tennessee but the truth is there are those of us that live in expensive towns that are in a higher pay scale. Why is that so hard for you to believe? I've got news for you, that's pretty much the going rate for high end outcall in Southern California. Look it up if you don't believe me. Go to "massageanywhere.com" and punch in the zip codes 90210, 90046 or 91423, these are some of the areas I work in. I work on most of the top names in the film business and have for 25 years. My sessions are often close to 2 hours long and I get paid a lot to do them but there are people out here that get what I charge for one hour sessions. It's not uncommon at all and for you to say it is shows a great lack of awareness about what the potential is in this field. A few months back I got a call to go to Palm Springs to work on a top director. It's a 2 hour drive for me but I got paid $1000.00 for my troubles. It was fun and I had a great day. Deal with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

LMT Susan in Spring Hill, Tennessee said: Saturday I worked my shift, had a full schedule and made $60 in tips. 3 people only tipped $5, but I also got a $20 and $25 dollar tip. I was there for 7 hours that comes to $21.40 an hour. This is actually lower than my average due to the low tippers I had today.
I have never been under the illusion that the company or owner cares about me...it is my responsibility to take care of myself. I schedule regular massages and make sure my schedule requirements are made. ie: I get breaks when I need them, work the days I want to work etc.
No, ME is NOT the greatest job, the pay could be much better, but I have been really enjoying working there and now after only working there 3 months have started to get job offers. I will probably make a move but I still think it is not a bad place to work. You can get experience or use it to start to move into the field from another field. Several of the therapist have other jobs and work part time to get experience and supplement their income.
You can call BS if you want but this is my experience. I have 18 years experience in the massage field and I get rave reviews at work. I have a lot of requests and large tips. I changed to doing massage full time just this year.
I guess some of you only want to welcome people that agree with you that ME "is the devil" I think it is a stepping stone. The experience I am getting is invaluable. Also I have learned what I want to do different when I open my own clinic. (better pay for therapist at the top of the list)

Susan,
There is something really wrong if you have 18 years as a therapist and you're working at that sweat shop. You said when you open your own clinc? When is that going to be? Why are you wasting your time and effort working for peanuts? If you are really serious about opening your own place, get going now. Don't waste yout time there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

fed up in Wilmette, Illinois said: Susan,
There is something really wrong if you have 18 years as a therapist and you're working at that sweat shop. You said when you open your own clinc? When is that going to be? Why are you wasting your time and effort working for peanuts? If you are really serious about opening your own place, get going now. Don't waste yout time there.

I am enjoying working there. I can work the hours I want to work for now. Do you always judge others choices based on your life? I am doing great I am HAPPY. I wish you happiness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

LMT Susan in Spring Hill, Tennessee said: Now that is BS

Care to apologize Susan?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Not at all, It was said that what I said was BS and no one was concerned...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

elsewhere in Burbank, California said: Care to apologize Susan?

If you are on such a higher pay scale than everyone else why are you bothering to post in a forum of us peons?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Mountain View, California

80 months ago

Hello Susan, i don't believe what you said was BS. I have been keeping up with your comments on the forum and i really agree with everything you said, some people take things a little too personaly, and that may be because someone has pinpointed something that they need to change that have not realized it. I was sensitive at one time myself and sometimes it hurts when someone says something that is the truth but i don't want to hear it. Keep the comments coming Susan. We all learn from other people and our own mistakes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

I only thought to put my 2 cents on this forum, but I see that with so many people bashing it doesn't matter what I say. I am very pleased to work at ME for now. I NEVER intended it to be a forever job. I am seeing how they run things, how I can do it better...Beginning with paying people what they are worth. I went to school in 1989 when I was laid off and worked in an auto factory up until last year. It is a different world doing massage full time instead of once in a while for friends and family. I love the transition I have made. I love my co-workers and my clients. So many people that come in are 1st time massage clients. These people would never get a massage at a spa. I feel privilaged that I can introduce them to massage. I also have quite a few clients with chronic health problems that can't aford massage at a higher rate. I love that I can help them. Who are any of you to negate my experiences because you don't like ME? I realize some people have had bad experiences with ME and we should know about that but also we should now that not everyone working there is a miserable low paid automaton. I will pursue my goals at my own rate and right now I am working 4 days a week and bringing in over $2000 a month. This is all I need to maintain my household currently. I think there is room for all of us in the field. and with taht I am done on this forum, I have better things to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

LMT Susan in Spring Hill, Tennessee said: If you are on such a higher pay scale than everyone else why are you bothering to post in a forum of us peons?

Why do you degrade yourself by calling yourself and others here "peons?" I would never call anyone who practiced massage or psoted here such a rude name. Interesting.

I write as an advocate of massage and because I care about the profession that I've spent the last 25 years in. As you can tell if you did your research what I get paid is pretty much the going rate out here. You said it was "BS" and I wanted to enlighten you that there is a different rate in some of the more expensive areas. It makes sense doesn't it? Our homes and cost of living out here are considerably more than most of the world as well. Interesting too is the fact that Massage Envy doesn't even exist out here except in some of the outlying suburbs. They barely have a toe hold here. No one would go to one out here I guess.

Apologizing for basically calling me a liar and then being proven wrong would have been good manners Susan. I'll accept that you lack the decorum to make amends for such an implied insult.

Thank you for responding though. I find most of your other comments to be valid and respectful. That's why this nasty one stood out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Ken in Mountain View, California said: Hello Susan, i don't believe what you said was BS.

Really? She basically called me a liar for saying how much I charge for a session and encouraging others who thought they were pretty good to do the same. That's what she said was "BS" and she was shown to be wrong about that.

You must be referring to her other comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

elsewhere in Burbank, California said: Why do you degrade yourself by calling yourself and others here "peons?" I would never call anyone who practiced massage or psoted here such a rude name. Interesting.

I write as an advocate of massage and because I care about the profession that I've spent the last 25 years in. As you can tell if you did your research what I get paid is pretty much the going rate out here. You said it was "BS" and I wanted to enlighten you that there is a different rate in some of the more expensive areas. It makes sense doesn't it? Our homes and cost of living out here are considerably more than most of the world as well. Interesting too is the fact that Massage Envy doesn't even exist out here except in some of the outlying suburbs. They barely have a toe hold here. No one would go to one out here I guess.

Apologizing for basically calling me a liar and then being proven wrong would have been good manners Susan. I'll accept that you lack the decorum to make amends for such an implied insult.

Thank you for responding though. I find most of your other comments to be valid and respectful. That's why this nasty one stood out.

I have family in California the San Diego area and the going rate last year when I was visiting was betwen $50 and $75 for an hour in spas and salons. I am sure there are others making more than that and you may be in a more high dollar area. The public in this area would never support anywhere near that rate. I know people that do outcalls for some entertainers in Nashville. They get $150 for coming and $75 for each massage. As for calling us peons, I was being sarcastic, since you claim to be so much better paid than the rest. If it is true I do apoligize. You maybe should apologize for trying to be a bully.
And Ken, thanks for the comments, I do not have hurt feelings I just find it annoying that people try to negate my experiences. I wish everyone could make a ton of money and help everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

And by the way elsewhere, you have not proven me to be wrong. And if you were keeping up you would have read a privious post I made that someone else called BS. I am Happy for you that you have so lucretive a business. I give up this nonsense. Take Care everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dumb for believing the ME lies!!!!!!!! in Palatine, Illinois

80 months ago

LMT Susan in Spring Hill, Tennessee said: And by the way elsewhere, you have not proven me to be wrong. And if you were keeping up you would have read a privious post I made that someone else called BS. I am Happy for you that you have so lucretive a business. I give up this nonsense. Take Care everyone.

Dear Elsewhere, I believe that it is possible to make that much, but why are you bragging about it in here? I'm really new at this and your comment about making a lot of money per massage doesn't encourage me. It leaves me feeling like it's an unlikely uphill climb for me. For right now, I just want to find something that's not ripping me off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

LMT Susan in Spring Hill, Tennessee said: I was being sarcastic, since you claim to be so much better paid than the rest.

Show mw where I've said I was better than anyone. Back that assertion up. You won't be able to because it isn't true. Why do you attack me and do so with lies of your own? That's rude and only underscores the poverty of your position.

LMT Susan in Spring Hill, Tennessee said: You maybe should apologize for trying to be a bully.

I am a "bully?" Why? Because I debate the concept of ME intelligently? Should I be in lock step with you? I have even gone so far as asking others who don't like ME to be more respectful. I've never insulted you or called you a liar. Maybe you're the bully.

LMT Susan in Spring Hill, Tennessee said: I wish everyone could make a ton of money and help everyone!

And yet you call me a liar for doing just that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LMT with 13 years experience in New York, New York

80 months ago

Elsewhere, I find your rates entirely believable for your experience and location. I've easily been able to charge $150/hour, and it's not unreasonable for my area at all. Factoring in transportation, overhead and time invested, it doesn't come out to so much at all per/hour, and that's what most newbies and non-LMTs don't realize, so they think the rate is either unbelievable or overstated, as though it's outrageously unlikely. Also, some folks who live in much less expensive areas of the nation (like, say, Tennessee as compared to Cali or NYC) can't conceive of the going rate as being at all appropriate. Well, it *wouldn't* be appropriate, probably, in a small Southern Town -- but then again, paying more than $1500 for a one bedroom is probably also beyond their ken. :-) That's actually a very LOW rent for my area... yet most folks from the South can't even get their head around it.

Seasoned professionals and seasoned clients know the deal, and work with the economy and constraints that are involved -- $150/$200 per hour isn't so bizarre, folks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Excellent points "LMT with 13 years." Thanks for the intelligent and reasonable response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mia in Irving, Texas

80 months ago

Mel in Denton, Texas said: Actually Mary, most jobs don't pay you for breaks. Let;s not get into a conversation about the declining benefits in Corporate America. I would work a 6 hour shift with a 1 hour break. I would get (ON A LOW AVERAGE) a $10 tip per hour. Plus, because I had been there a year, $1 extra per service. Plus $1 for having deep tissue certification... PLUS $1 if it was a request therapist (and it usually was)... So I was averaging ON LOW END, $28/hour. So, let's see... 28 * 5.... $140 every Friday night if not more.

So yeah, I banked. Sorry if your Massage Envy lacked any extra benefits. I lived on this quite nicely with my husband also working there. We only had to work 4 days a week. Maybe your massage therapy skills were lacking, because mine were not.

Mel... Can you tell me more about your experience and what massage envy you work at? I'm doing my internship right now, and will continue to work full-time and want to do massage part time for a while while until I can move into more of a full-time schedule. I had been considering Massage Envy because they're open nights/weekends, so that looked like it would work for part time, if you work during the day. I can udnerstand how their may be some drawbacks to a place like this, but considering my schedule, and time available, this might be good for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Dumb for believing the ME lies!!!!!!!! in Palatine, Illinois said: Dear Elsewhere, I believe that it is possible to make that much, but why are you bragging about it in here? I'm really new at this and your comment about making a lot of money per massage doesn't encourage me. It leaves me feeling like it's an unlikely uphill climb for me. For right now, I just want to find something that's not ripping me off.

I wasn't "bragging" at all. If you read it in context I was responding to someone that said that they were "really good" and I asked them why they weren't making as more money. As I and others have pointed out what I get paid is on par with what people out here get paid. You need not feel threatened by that or upset at all. And why wouldn't seeing the potential in this business encourage you? Are you setting your expectations below your true value?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

elsewhere in Burbank, California said: No Susan it's not. It may seem that way to someone averaging $21.00 an hour at Massage Envy in Spring Hill, Tennessee but the truth is there are those of us that live in expensive towns that are in a higher pay scale. Why is that so hard for you to believe? I've got news for you, that's pretty much the going rate for high end outcall in Southern California. Look it up if you don't believe me. Go to "massageanywhere.com" and punch in the zip codes 90210, 90046 or 91423, these are some of the areas I work in. I work on most of the top names in the film business and have for 25 years. My sessions are often close to 2 hours long and I get paid a lot to do them but there are people out here that get what I charge for one hour sessions. It's not uncommon at all and for you to say it is shows a great lack of awareness about what the potential is in this field. A few months back I got a call to go to Palm Springs to work on a top director. It's a 2 hour drive for me but I got paid $1000.00 for my troubles. It was fun and I had a great day. Deal with it.

I know I said goodbye once but I couldn't resist looking on Massageanywhere.com, I searched the offered zip codes and didn't find any high priced adds for those areas. Most of the adds were actually priced similarly to our area for spas and private outcalls. What a strange site!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

LMT Susan in Spring Hill, Tennessee said: I know I said goodbye once but I couldn't resist looking on Massageanywhere.com, I searched the offered zip codes and didn't find any high priced adds for those areas. Most of the adds were actually priced similarly to our area for spas and private outcalls. What a strange site!

Now THAT'S total BS! Maybe you aren't such a good researcher. I can find a whole bunch and just did. Let me help you out here Susan:

www.massageanywhere.com/profile/onyashanti
www.massageanywhere.com/profile/tracylee
www.massageanywhere.com/profile/withhealinghands
www.massageanywhere.com/profile/maha
www.massageanywhere.com/profile/allaying
www.massageanywhere.com/profile/sweetcat
www.massageanywhere.com/profile/Elesha

Hate to prove you wrong again but this was just too easy to pass up. Those are just on the first page of only one of the zip codes I gave you and they were all in the higher end of the spectrum just like I said.

Maybe you were on the wrong site.

How many goodbyes is that now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.