Merck working conditions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

jennifer in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

working at Merck is HORRIBLE. although pay and benefits are good, the working environment is terrible. EVERYONE is depressed, morale is so low that turnover is high. Managemnt doesnt seem to know what they're doing and they keep hiring people which they later fire (or lay off as they call it). Look elsewhere- any other place would be better. I have a Masters in Chemistry, have been here for 4 years but am looking

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jen S in Saddle River, New Jersey

82 months ago

Thanks for the info on that. Currently am working for Schering-Plough but am considering other positions. I have a Masters in Chemistry and am currently pursuing my Ph.D, but my company doesn't want to move me into a research position...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bostonian in Boston, Massachusetts

63 months ago

I ride in on the "T" with a guy who's a level 9 employee (assistant researcher) with 4 years of experience at Merck in Boston. That place is F***ED! Many layoffs in the last 6 months, another 15% coming soon following Schering-Plough merger, managers unexpectedly reassigned to departments in which they've no expertise, decent people with 20 years at Merck let go and replaced with outsiders, and staff kept in the dark but told to just keep working. Morale is in the toilet. Sounds like bean counters with no appreciation for team building or domain knowledge are gutting the joint. Miserable, horrible place. I don't see how they can survive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake B in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

jennifer in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania said: working at Merck is HORRIBLE. although pay and benefits are good, the working environment is terrible. EVERYONE is depressed, morale is so low that turnover is high. Managemnt doesnt seem to know what they're doing and they keep hiring people which they later fire (or lay off as they call it). Look elsewhere- any other place would be better. I have a Masters in Chemistry, have been here for 4 years but am looking

From my experience, employees at Merck were so uncaring about anyone, very unfriendly and never once asked me "hey how's everything going?" and if I had any problems in the department. There is also no guidance. Employees get so bored they just rip each other apart with insulting jokes. I waved hi to a man one day and he insulted me every morning for a month just for waving hi. Totally ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.