How to get a job at Merck.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 136)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Merck? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

overqualified in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

You have to know someone who already works at MERCK who will bring you in and take care of you. It's that simple.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (102) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

former employee in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

Many employees at Merck started as a contractor with them first. They hire many of their contractors as full-time employees within the first few years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

curious in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

What about their online application server? Does anyone actually look for employees through it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Jericho, New York

86 months ago

former employee in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: Many employees at Merck started as a contractor with them first. They hire many of their contractors as full-time employees within the first few years.

Why don't you try GSK? They treat their employees like Gold. Merck is only good for the sales people, but GSK is good to everyone. Just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Jericho, New York

86 months ago

former employee in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: Many employees at Merck started as a contractor with them first. They hire many of their contractors as full-time employees within the first few years.

Not ture anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

MK in Downingtown, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

Hi you all are true , nobody looks in the employee resumes they ask on internet applications. Its is all brotherhood/sisterhood policy. If you know someone you get in if not just dream...........so anybody has any
idea how to be a buddy to these people who work in Merck or GSK or J&J etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Candidate in San Diego, California

86 months ago

curious in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: What about their online application server? Does anyone actually look for employees through it?

I know nobody at Merck. I was contacted yesterday for a job posting I submitted to about 2 weeks ago. So yes, it happens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

overqualified in Darby, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Candidate in San Diego, California said: I know nobody at Merck. I was contacted yesterday for a job posting I submitted to about 2 weeks ago. So yes, it happens.

Have you heard anything since?

We would all like to know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

curious 2 in Norristown, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

No and I cannot find a number to use to call for a follow up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Got a interview with GSK in Huntsville, Alabama

85 months ago

I got a telephonic interview and a one person to person interview.
I thought I did well. At least I was prepared and rushed through
the interview in 5 minutes. I believe I was just one of the numbers
needed to fluff the interviewing process. The candidate after me was
greeted better and known by her first name. I am sure she got the position and I got the thank you for applying but we are going with
a more qualified candidate email. Wyeth interviews are better. Still waiting on the call back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Vioxxkills in Edison, New Jersey

85 months ago

MRK has a policy that prohibits a contractor from getting a full time MRK job while working as a contractor for MRK. MRK has another policy that limits a contractor's time at MRK to one year unless a division manager allows an extension for another year. At the end of two years the contractor must leave for at least one year. After that the contractor can return for only one additional year for a lifetime limit of 3 years as a MRK contractor. After that you can not return. If you have any interest in working there as a full time employee, never accept a contractor position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

dean ehren in Las Vegas, Nevada

85 months ago

hello i have a bachelor of science from st.johns universitycollege of pharmacy(BS my resume is on yahoo.hotjobs.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Former merck employee in Raritan, New Jersey

84 months ago

I was an employee at merkc for 3 years. Got through regular process - did not know anyone there. Now know enough people to get back if essential. but the proces did work at least 3.5 years back. Its good company to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BallroomGrl in whitehouse, New Jersey

80 months ago

I applied online for a position with Merck, and they emailed me the very next day for a phone interview. I had the pi that very day, and then two days later they set up a f2f. I have never stepped foot into that building nor do I know anyone that works for the company.
Im nervous because I have no clue what to expect. Im not going for a rep position so does that matter?? Im a CMA with ten years exp and many other certifications needed to work at one of their stations.
Your thoughts??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cheri T in Boston, Massachusetts

78 months ago

Merck gets all their applicants from the online system. Even if you know someone at Merck, you still have to use the online system to get your application in. All initial screening is done by someone in HR and if passes HR criteria, it gets forwarded electronically to the hiring manager. It is a slow process but you do NOT have to know someone - just be qualified for the job you are applying for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dean ehren in Las Vegas, Nevada

78 months ago

cheri T in boston,do you know any one at merck?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

dean ehren in Las Vegas, Nevada said: cheri T in boston,do you know any one at merck?

Yes I do. Are you looking for a job? What location/type of job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Talston in Norristown, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

yes I am in Pa, and anything in the business field that would allow me to use my Bachelors Degree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jamie Z in Lawrenceville, Georgia

77 months ago

I previously worked for GSK (unfortunately a down-size eliminated my position) and loved the industry, people as well as thrived in my position. Merck currently has 3 opennings for the position I held at GSK and I have applied to all of them. It has been 3 weeks and I have heard nothing. I really thought I would be a shoe-in for at least a phone interview. What should be my next step? Any advice Cheri T???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Deb1 in Telford, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

My husband has been trying to get in there for some time now. We have a friend that use to work as a janitor and he took resumes in alot for us. Now my husband only submits online now. This guy really has tried to get my husband in talked to supervisors and all but no luck so far. Its wishful thinking someday there might be a call...any other areas of entry level there besides janitorial???? Do you have to have a degree my husband does not but one of the hardest workers I know out there!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anon anonymous7 in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

I worked at Meck in Whitehouse Station for a year, and they renewed my contractor position for an additional 6 months. I loved the department that I worked for...it's not too friendly of an environment, but is very professional culture. I have a lot of Pharm industry experience, and they considered hiring me full time, but it is true, it's easier to get your foot in the door if you know someone, but that is everywhere, not just Merck. I also knew someone at Bristol Myers that worked at GSK, and he didn't like it. Didn't pay well. Merck doesn't always pay well either. Phizer, Bristol Myers, Nordsk, and Novartis pay the BEST. Wyeth doesn't pay well either...and it is very gossipy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

overqualified in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: You have to know someone who already works at MERCK who will bring you in and take care of you. It's that simple.

hey no offence, my husband has been trying to get in for the last 15 yrs, has had 10-15 different people hand in resumes for him, never any luck, had 1 interview about 9 yrs ago, for a packing and warehousing, it turned out they had no intention of hiring outside the co, but had to interview outsiders to make it look good and hired within

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in San Diego, California

67 months ago

I interviewed for a senior scientist position at Merck in September 2008. Much of the interview was my scientific seminar and the rest was behavioral questions. Examples of the behavioral questions are "Tell me how you stay organized" "How do you prioritize" "tell me about a scientific problem that you had and how you solved it" "tell me about a time had a problem with a coworker and how you overcame it."

I believe the hiring process for senior scientists is extremely competitive. They must believe that you are a good addition to the culture of the research group and that you bring skills beyond what is asked for in the job announcement.

I didn't get the job. I had to bug the recruiter about the result of my interview. After waiting six weeks he told me that another candidate had had a qualification beyond what they had asked for and they had offered him the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MasabiWasabi in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

anonymous in Jericho, New York said: Why don't you try GSK? They treat their employees like Gold. Merck is only good for the sales people, but GSK is good to everyone. Just a thought.

Jericho: Do you have any data about these GOLDEN-treated GSK employees? I'll be anxiously waiting for that data.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Husband just got a call for a interview next Wednesday at the West Point location. This is for Service Worker and two other jobs in manufacturing that are posted.. They informed my husband that this was the first interview which he would meet with 3 different people and it could last from 3:30 to 5:30. If they call him back then there is testing he has to take.. Anyone know this process?? We are so happy and thankful just to get a phone call!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Deb1 in Telford, Pennsylvania said: Husband just got a call for a interview next Wednesday at the West Point location. This is for Service Worker and two other jobs in manufacturing that are posted.. They informed my husband that this was the first interview which he would meet with 3 different people and it could last from 3:30 to 5:30. If they call him back then there is testing he has to take.. Anyone know this process?? We are so happy and thankful just to get a phone call!!!

He got a call back for a 2nd interview (well it is assessment testing on computer) Happy but nervous as to what is on that test.. They say it can take up to 4 hours..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

tough90zx in Raleigh, North Carolina

66 months ago

Deb1, I was in contact with a Merck recruiter several weeks ago and was told there is a hiring freeze because of the merger with Schering-Plough. Is your husband still progressing through the hiring process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Well he was told he passed the testing and was put on the bench.. Not sure where that leaves us as far as if he will get hired anytime soon.. We are happy he made it to the bench but have no idea how long you can be on that before a job comes up within the company...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

deephouse in philadelphia, Ontario

64 months ago

I interviewed and passed the assesement test in March of this year. I was told by the human resources department before and during the interviews that anyone hired will be placed on the bench and should be able to start by June. However, it is almost June and haven't gotten any word. I have someone on the inside who runs his own department and he needs people fast. Even he does not know what may be going on as well. I too believe that there is a hiring freeze as well. I also heard a rumor that they are relocating some of the staff from the NJ facility to other branches.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tough90zx in Raleigh

64 months ago

deephouse,

What type of position did you apply for?

64 months ago

Hello, I applied for the general manufactoring position in Westpoint Pa.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

64 months ago

deephouse in philadelphia, Ontario said: Hello, I applied for the general manufactoring position in Westpoint Pa.

My husband was put on the bench then also for General Manufacturing and got a letter via email stating he was on the bench but that does not mean a definate job within the company. We too know someone that works in manufacturing and he asked his boss about the once on the bench is it a good chance of being hired soon and his boss said yes anyone on the bench usually gets a job at some point and time but he sid not say how long the wait time is as no one really knows for sure I guess. Our friend has been there for 10 years and he was on the bench for 4 months before he got a letter in the mail saying he had a job open if he was still interested. He did tell us that there was going to be a freeze for several months but that did not go through and it looked like they needed to hire soon cuz they were very behind on vaccines and all.. He did email me a month ago saying there were job postings within the company and many were for general manufacturing postions. They are all offered internally first and then offered to people on the bench second. We still have not heard anything.. Question is how many people are on the bench???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Hello All,

I am going to speak with my inside guy in order to see if he has heard anything new. It wouldn't surprise me that we maybe sitting on the bench for a few more months. Sounds like your husband and I may have been in the same room when we interviewed. If the rumors are true Merck is running behind on their production quotas, then all is not lost. Hang in there!!!

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Ill also post here if our inside guy has anything new to add to this. You probably were in the same room at testing..Congrats on making it to the bench also.. Hopefully we will get a call soon!!

64 months ago

Merck is implementing a new HR system and no new hires can be processed between June 1 and July 6. So if you don't hear anything before June 1 - it will definitely be in July before they could move forward on anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tough90zx in Raleigh

64 months ago

Cheri, do you know anyone at the Durham manufacturing facility in NC?

64 months ago

Sorry - I don't know anyone in NC.

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Cheri T in Boston, Massachusetts said: Sorry - I don't know anyone in NC.

I heard that West Point location scrapped that new HR system about a month ago. Maybe this is something else you are talking about..Was told that about 119 jobs were eliminated in Rahway NJ and those employes will have first pick of the jobs at West Point location. Maybe some will not want to take the relocation to WP but in todays economy they just might...We will just have to hang in there wait and see..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tough90zx in Raleigh

64 months ago

Don't hold your breath for Merck. I have been skipped for an interview 3 times for a job I know I am qualified for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

The HR system is a part of a larger SAP system that was mostly postponed till Q1 2010 but the HR portion is still going forward. West Point does not have an option to scrap it - it's a worldwide mandate that everyone has to start using it!

64 months ago

Well,

My inside guy says that West Point is a hot mess. It is the only facility that is failing to make its production quotas. The 119 people from the NJ is not enough to help Merck make production quotas according to him. He honestly does not have any idea what is going on at Merck. I'm not giving up hope.

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

64 months ago

We are not givin up either but know its not happening within a month or two that is for sure...Keep hoping and if anyone hears anything new please post it here..
Thanks!!

63 months ago

Good news and bad news folks.

Good news: the ceo of merck is going to the benches for more workers. And it is happening very soon if not now.

Bad news: there is no known number over the amount of people he plans on bringing in. It could be 2 or 50. I just don't know.

Hope this helps.

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

63 months ago

deephouse in philadelphia, Ontario said: Good news and bad news folks.

Good news: the ceo of merck is going to the benches for more workers. And it is happening very soon if not now.

Bad news: there is no known number over the amount of people he plans on bringing in. It could be 2 or 50. I just don't know.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the update.. Someone told us that they will be hiring more people soon also but again no one knows how many.. I hear quotas are behind and a new cleaning system was brought in.. Hoping that opens some doors for some of us waiting on the bench...

Mister X in Boston, Massachusetts

63 months ago

I saw a lot of job postings for Boston location on Yahoo HotJobs. Are those positions being filled in? They keep reposting the same positions week after week. Is it that hard to find good people in this economy?

63 months ago

They are reposting the same positions - there are multiples of the positions available. There are about 65 positions currently open in Boston that they are pushing to fill by September.

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Deephouse.. Heard jobs posted internally last week so hoping a few come from off the bench within a few weeks!!! Keep your fingers crossed!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Thank you!!! I hope so. I got an engagement ring I need to buy. I have to admit... This took a lot longer than I thought it would. Thanks for the info!!! I'm not hearing much on my end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

62 months ago

deephouse in philadelphia, Ontario said: Thank you!!! I hope so. I got an engagement ring I need to buy. I have to admit... This took a lot longer than I thought it would. Thanks for the info!!! I'm not hearing much on my end.

Did you try calling your recuitor recently? Mine did and that is where he got some of this info. She could tell him where he was on the list..Lets hope all goes well!!!

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.