Microsoft Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Microsoft?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

Shaw in Mason, Michigan

93 months ago

Have a look at www.technical-interview.com

I found useful for my interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Westmin in Medford, New Jersey

93 months ago

Depends on the position. If your technical you better know your weaknesses. Microsoft doesn't try to intimidate you, but they do ask detailed programming questions. Be able to go to the whiteboard and code and/or answer logic scenarios.

The basic process, which can differ, is that you are placed in a room where 4 to 5 different people will come in and interview you. The questions are range from behavior to technical depending on the position.

If you are going for a programming position, expect to meet with at least 3 program managers. If a weakness is spotted they typically pass that information on to the next person to see how weak you are in a certain area.

But again. The goal is not to be a hardass. And if you are weak in an area that doesn't mean you won't get the job - unless it directly applies to your job - but rather they want to make sure they know the candidate they are getting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

ExContractor in Washington, District of Columbia

91 months ago

Refresh your algorithm and data structure knowledge ( binary trees, hashes, doubly linked stuff etc).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Holt, Michigan

91 months ago

You need to be good on data structure and C++ classes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

insider in Broomfield, Colorado

89 months ago

Data Structures, Data Structures, Data Structures.
Algorithms, Algorithms, Algorithms.

Ability to write code that not only works but has error handling as well. Analytical ability, thinking under pressure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

S in Canton, North Carolina

82 months ago

insider in Broomfield, Colorado said: Data Structures, Data Structures, Data Structures.
Algorithms, Algorithms, Algorithms.

Ability to write code that not only works but has error handling as well. Analytical ability, thinking under pressure.

There is book called "How To Move Mount Fuji" and there is blog from microsoft recruiter.it is a nice blog.

If you apply directly ,you need to be good at Data Structures, Data Structures, Data Structures.
Algorithms, Algorithms, Algorithms,c++ etc

or you can do contract job and move to full time.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CarneAsadaBrito in Seattle, Washington

76 months ago

I currently work at Microsoft. Here is my basic prep outline (for SDE loop):

1. Get a copy of "Programming Interviews Exposed: Secrets to Landing Your Next Job." It will put you into the exact frame of mind you need to be in for the loop at MS
2. Get a white board and practice, practice, practice. Get comfortable displaying your technical ability on the white board. Remember to always speak and guide your interviewer through your thought process. NEVER have them just sitting there in silence.
3. They are very big on finding people who are a "good fit" on the team. This will include how well you present your willingness to work with others and if they think you will do well/enjoy the work for the position. Read up on and show an enthusiasm for the technical area you're interviewing for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sds vcpp in Pune, India

69 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Madhuri in Bellevue, Washington

24 months ago

You need to be refresh the data structure and algorithm concepts and basic algorithm related to linked lists, tree, stack, queue. Need to know about Big O time notation. What ever algo you write most certainly they will ask for time complexity so be prepared for that, also with some list of basic test cases for any algorithm.

Well at time of my interview I found this site ( www.qubeet.com ) very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.