How to get a job at Microsoft.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

Do you work at Microsoft? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Nicci in Lakewood, Washington

89 months ago

My boyfriend works at Microsoft. He started off as a contract worker there. He put his resume on various job sites and technical recruiters contacted him. Getting a hold of a good recruiter seems to be key. He said on their career website they are slow updating job postings. A lot of them are old. I tried to get a Paralegal position but they require more experience than I have. I could have gone through a recruiter but it was for a Group Assistant at MS but the pay was only $10 so I declined. Even though he works there it doesn't do me too much good. He doesn't know anyone in the Legal Dept. Only thing he did was refer me. He also looked through the jobs at the internal website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (70) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Charlotte, North Carolina

85 months ago

I have been applying for the last few months. How long does it take for them to get in contact with you about an interview? Do you have to have your certifications before they will interview you? I have BA and MA in information systems and I applying for a support professional position, Job Code: 204546, in Charlotte, NC. Any tips or advice will be great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

CarneAsadaBrito in Seattle, Washington

72 months ago

I contracted for them through a vendor and then joined full time. I seriously recommend going that route. That way you can get a taste of how it is and decide if you want to join full time. It will also give you the opportunity to really gain some good experience as well as kick ass in the position. MS is very open to hiring very good contingent staff. It's like a long-term interview process for them and they'll know the quality of work you'll put in for a prolonged period (their investment in you is almost guaranteed as opposed to someone who just aced an interview loop).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Bill Sm in Jackson, California

68 months ago

I agree with an earlier post that Microsoft is going to be one of the safer job bets over the next few years. A former colleague started with them a few months ago, and said that the pressures are on par with what you'd expect with this economy.

I *highly* recommend the advice over at www.geocities.com/microsoftjobtips if you are thinking about applying.

Also, there is no guarantee on how much time it takes from submitting an application to getting an interview. It could be days, but usually at least a few weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

Dimitry Dray in Odessa, Ukraine

42 months ago

One possible way to get a job at Microsoft, that to interest them by examples of yours work. For example, if you are a programmer, you must make interesting application and put it on Microsoft's site in samples page. For example for applications (on silverlight see: www.silverlight.net/community/samples/silverlight-samples/, for winform and WPF application see: windowsclient.net/community/) .All MS technologies have the relevant section of the "Community Samples ". Create a profile on the Forum of appropriate technology, answer to the questions of other forum members. You would be charged assessment.
It will be very good for your resume.
About other aspects of resume you can see articles in www.FindJobs4You.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

kaka in Bellevue, Washington

39 months ago

Do you always receive a feedback after a phone interview, good or bad result? If yes, how long it takes for the hiring manager to get back to you? thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

walid in Tripoli, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

29 months ago

How can i get work in microsoft libya .
by the way i 'm working in microsoft products before 4 years ago .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Haley in Seattle, Washington

26 months ago

I have observed friends get jobs by bing a contractor rather than regular employee,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.