WOT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

PJ

93 months ago

This company does not even have the manners to write a candidate back to advise that you did not get the job... They waste your time to make you go on three interviews yes I said three and they never called me to tell me that I did not get the job....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Northridge, California

92 months ago

Actually, unfortunately, it's not just them. In my recent experience in the job search... EVERY... I repeat, EVERY company I interviewed for did NOT call back either. I think it's a new trend. Although, one place did send me generic letter a MONTH after I interviewed with them (and that was a total of 3 interviews). It sucks being out there. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cardinalsfan in Midland Park, New Jersey

91 months ago

Sarain Northridge, California said: Actually, unfortunately, it's not just them. In my recent experience in the job search... EVERY... I repeat, EVERY company I interviewed for did NOT call back either. I think it's a new trend. Although, one place did send me generic letter a MONTH after I interviewed with them (and that was a total of 3 interviews). It sucks being out there. Good luck!

Actually, NBC has been decent enough to tell me that they weren't going to hire me, but they have multiple openings. I have been applying every now and again.

The thing I hate most are the companies that tell you that they will be calling you back for a second interviw, but never do. As a jobseeker, I am expected and lawfully expected to answer each question truthfully. Then we have weak people in HR offices that would rather lie and give false hope than to be honest. I find being polite is more rude than being honest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Worker in LA in Winnetka, California

91 months ago

I have had all of these experiences myself. I do think it is a new trend in HR to not get back to you. Or maybe it’s the attitude that they owe you nothing since you are just an applicant or just plain laziness on the HR Dept’s part. Either way its rude behavior and actually creates animosity between applicants and potential employers. If this is how they treat people applying for a job, how do you expect to be treated if you get a job with this type of company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nun-Yur-biz in Chicago, Illinois

91 months ago

PJ said: This company does not even have the manners to write a candidate back to advise that you did not get the job... They waste your time to make you go on three interviews yes I said three and they never called me to tell me that I did not get the job....

Crying about it on here STILL will not make then write you back. I say lick your wounds and move on. Apply for other jobs knowing that if they do not need you, they will not have the courtesy to respond to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jack, Hawthorne in Wayne, New Jersey

90 months ago

cardinalsfan in Midland Park, New Jersey said: Actually, NBC has been decent enough to tell me that they weren't going to hire me, but they have multiple openings. I have been applying every now and again.

The thing I hate most are the companies that tell you that they will be calling you back for a second interviw, but never do. As a jobseeker, I am expected and lawfully expected to answer each question truthfully. Then we have weak people in HR offices that would rather lie and give false hope than to be honest. I find being polite is more rude than being honest.

You DO Not want to be out of work in Northern New Jersey. It is virtually impossible to get a similar position to what you had before. No call backs from interviews, HR treating you rude, silence on how you did on a interview and you are left without any answers from HR. It's not what you know , it's who you know. Without any High level networking at these companies, I mean, VP level or higher. helping you, you are done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Mission, Texas

89 months ago

What kills me is that when they finally do announce who they hire, it's a very young..usually a very attractive minority...with virtually no experience. They fire the 20+ year veterans so they can slash costs at a bunch of stations (and the CEO can get a $14 million bonus as opposed to a $12 million this year)... with no long term planning in sight. Who's going to train the newby? The audience gets upset and tunes out in protest. For about one sweeps period (maybe two) a new audience "samples" the newby (and the CEOs have a huge party to celebrate their brilliant new ratings angle)j But in the end they lose all their loyal viewers. The ratings drop again...NDs and GMs get fired...more experienced, loyal on air personnel is slashed...until the station is in so much turmoil the CEO finally gets the boot. But by then he's made about $50-$75 million in salary and bonuses... so they the hell should HE care? Worst yet...the viewers are the real victims. What's on the air today? I'd hardly call it news. No one is objective or accurate any more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Morristown, NJ in Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey

89 months ago

I've been looking for 3 months. I have been working for 25 years and got laid off in March. It was a good paying job, but the working conditions STINKS, so even though I HATE being out of work, I know there has to be something better out there!

After a career of job interviewing, the dynamic has changed dramatically in the past 3-4 years; the internet has made it possible for everyone to see just about any job out there and you have to figure that there are hundreds, possibly thousands of people out there looking for work & applying to the same jobs that you are. Companies are being DELUGED with resumes and have probably had to resort to some sort of key word program search on resumes (CAN ANYONE IN HR CONFIRM THIS??)

Anyway, the deal is to use their language from the job descriptions and to TAILOR,TAILOR TAILOR your resume, if you are serious about a particular job. A one resume fits all won't cut it out there.

Being in north Jersey, I sympathize (I am feeling it too) BUT the guy from Chicago has a point. The game has changed and the niceties are history. USE YOUR NETWORK. It stinks, but it works.

Hang in there... every train that comes through the station isn't your train, even if it stops...but your train eventually comes!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nephew in Chicago, Illinois

89 months ago

I got a full time gig with this company and I had less than one year experience in ENG. My train came right on time, and being good freinds with the managers contributed alot as well. So hang in there, go out and drink with the crew once in a while. YOur train may come also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Hey Nephew--

Thanks for your vote of confidence. I have something on the line and I have a really good feeling about it! I hoping to catch this one.

Glad it worked out for you. You DID use your network!

Have a great weekend.

Best,

Patty in Morristown

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Hey Nephew--

Thanks for your vote of confidence. I have something on the line and I have a really good feeling about it! I hoping to catch this one.

Glad it worked out for you. You DID use your network!

Have a great weekend.

Best,

Patty in Morristown

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jay

89 months ago

I've actually heard from people on the inside there that some of the company's own interviewers have literally encouraged people who are interviewing there not to come to work there. Rather odd, I'd say. What a mixed message.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ICD in Los Angeles, California

88 months ago

There are a lot of departments that are a part of NBC Universal, and most are segregated from each other. Some are bad some are good. The broadcast industry is very corporate and managed by mostly those with financial or business backgrounds so expect numbers and ratings to be what drives the company. Realistically, companies that don't call you back or let you know mean you have nothing to offer that they want. When looking through potentially hundreds to thousands of resumes, the time needed to reply back to each and everyone would ultimately make their job unproductive. Time is money as they say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

If you look back at the original post, PJ said that s/he went on 3 interviews with the company and that they never called back to give the final decision. THAT is RUDE. Say what you will about how many thousands of resumes an HR department will be deluged with, when you have brought a candidate in 3 times and make no contact afterward, its reprehensible. PJ may have had to take time off from a current job, drive, park, etc. and likely spent a good amount of personal time preparing and applying for the interviews. Busy or not, corporate or not, a first class stamp on a form letter would have been the right thing to do. Time is money, but corporations get away with much too much in the name of saving money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

GG in North Babylon, New York

88 months ago

Pat in Morristown, NJ in Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey said: If you look back at the original post, PJ said that s/he went on 3 interviews with the company and that they never called back to give the final decision. THAT is RUDE. Say what you will about how many thousands of resumes an HR department will be deluged with, when you have brought a candidate in 3 times and make no contact afterward, its reprehensible. PJ may have had to take time off from a current job, drive, park, etc. and likely spent a good amount of personal time preparing and applying for the interviews. Busy or not, corporate or not, a first class stamp on a form letter would have been the right thing to do. Time is money, but corporations get away with much too much in the name of saving money.

I agree with Pat. Just because you are a candidate does not mean that you have time to waste or that you should be treated discourteously. In addition, if they do not want to respond to the "thousands of resumes we receive" (I hear that all the time), then they should find a better way to search for potential employees. With the internet driving the majority of job searches it should be expected that there would be an overwhelming response to ANY JOB ANNOUNCEMENT THAT IS PUBLISHED. Therefore, the excuse that the HR could not respond due to the number of resumes received is just that...an excuse. Any company that acts if it is doing you a favor by showing you professional courtesy after three interviews is NOT WORTH YOUR TIME, AND IN ACTUALITY WASTING- YOUR TIME...UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN GET YOU IN THE DOOR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

The Dude in Los Angeles, California

88 months ago

I am a recruiter at a major entertainment conglomorate and as much animosity as there appears to be towards my kind, I want to dispell these myths on this board. First off, recruiters are, by and large, contract employees, basically free lancers who come in for 6-12 months. Not every company is in full blown hiring mode all the time (and look out for those who are that are!), so they add recruiters as needed if there's a restructuring, acquisition, etc. But our job stability is probably worse than any other profession, period, because once a company's growth plateaus, we're the first people cut (for obvious reasons). So to say that recruiters are out of touch with looking for work and knowing what it's like to go through the job search process is ludicrous. I think that instability makes us VERY sensitive to your frustrations...imagine not getting those call backs or rejection notification when your core compentencies are writing resumes and interviewing! So we feel your pain...but the "keyword search" myth is crap. In fact, it's illegal for a company to do that. We have to disposition every resume by OFCCP regulations, so each resume is looked at and vetted. With 8 hours in a day maximum for interviews (about 4-5 of which is spent putting out various fires internally), we will only look at candidates we can submit to multiple jobs. I have 30+ positions to fill at any time, all "top priority." So from an HR standpoint, please believe that we WANT you to be successful and land the job, because every interview equates to about 3 hours of a recruiter's time (screening, scheduling, coordinating, paperwork, correspondence, etc.) If you're good, we'll fight to get you hired. But if not, understand the massive amount of time that we have to allocate to everyone who makes it in, and be patient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PublicityAssistantinMichigan in Detroit, Michigan

87 months ago

May I ask you this...how long does it usually take for a response (negative or positive)? I'm okay with waiting but it would be nice to know which way things went.

SECT in Meriden, Connecticut

87 months ago

I'm not defending these types of companies, but you ever think of the amount of replies they get for job openings? Usually, a large company like that will have some kinda message like: "Due to numerous amounts of replies, you will be contacted only if you meet the requirements as stated..." or something like that... HR depts. have special types of resume scanning to filter out those without the keywords of the job description... Eitherway, like someone mentioned before - just move on to the next one.

87 months ago

No, I think I misspoke. I realize that they get a lot of replies, my question is that how long does something like a reply usually take.

Liz in New York, New York

86 months ago

While I agree that potential employers should have the courtesy to tell their candidates if they were not chosen, am I wrong in thinking that people are supposed to follow up on their own and not sit around waiting for a phone call and complaining when they don't get it? If you haven't heard from the company then you should contact them and find out what the deal is yourself.

Pat in Morristown, NJ in Sparta, New Jersey

86 months ago

I totally agree with you Liz. That is how I got my job. I wasn't getting anywhere with the recruiter; she wasn't responding to my calls. So, I emailed the woman that I interviewed with and told her that I was still very interested in the position and could I provide her with any additional information? I had the job 3 days later!! Somebody had dropped the ball, but it wasn't going to be me...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

I'm going to respond to both comments. Yes, I agree that a person should follow up. I don't dispute that, my initial question was this: If you're submitting a resume online, how long does it usually take to get a response (negative or otherwise)? I also realize that large corporations such as these get thousands of resumes a day, so I was mostly curious. That's all.

Now, if you're lucky enough to get an interview, then yes, you should definitely follow up, in fact, send a thank you note. People will appericate it and will remember it.

cyn in Bronx, New York

42 months ago

Susan in Mission, Texas said: What kills me is that when they finally do announce who they hire, it's a very young..usually a very attractive minority...with virtually no experience. They fire the 20+ year veterans so they can slash costs at a bunch of stations (and the CEO can get a $14 million bonus as opposed to a $12 million this year)... with no long term planning in sight. Who's going to train the newby? The audience gets upset and tunes out in protest. For about one sweeps period (maybe two) a new audience "samples" the newby (and the CEOs have a huge party to celebrate their brilliant new ratings angle)j But in the end they lose all their loyal viewers. The ratings drop again...NDs and GMs get fired...more experienced, loyal on air personnel is slashed...until the station is in so much turmoil the CEO finally gets the boot. But by then he's made about $50-$75 million in salary and bonuses... so they the hell should HE care? Worst yet...the viewers are the real victims. What's on the air today? I'd hardly call it news. No one is objective or accurate any more.

I'm a young attractive minority. Would you mind forwarding me these job postings that people like me are so overwhelmingly likely to be hired for? This hasn't been my experience AT ALL. I've been out of college since 2001 and I'm still trying to get my first great job. I'm gonna retire entry level I guess...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.