Don't you find it funny that there aren't any discussions for such a large company???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Someone who's survived in Schenectady, New York

86 months ago

As a test, I'm going to post this and see how long it stays. I'm guessing that the Nike sleuths are scouring the Internet day and night to remove all negative comments about themselves from the net.

Want to work at Nike WHQ? If you're between the age of 22 - 28, have no kids and want to drink the coolaid - go for it!

The main campus is set up like a college campus - perfect for entering the workplace right out of college. Backpacks, sneakers, jeans and bellie shirts are the usual attire. The key to success (think Hollywood... few rise to the top) is to find a mentor. If you don't... well, Hah! It's Sink or Swim, baby!

Be careful who you talk to and who you're seen with. People are listening and they WILL gossip and deliver messages.

Hmm I wonder if that old swoosh site is still around. Now THERE are some interesting blogs there :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Wow in Wilmington, North Carolina

85 months ago

I worked at Nike WHQ for 9 years and loved it. Also love the opportunities that having Nike on my resume has given me since leaving. . .not to mention all I learned while working there. Your recommendation of a mentor is excellent.

Sounds like you had a bad personal experience.

Like I often say, just 'cause your paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. Yes, someone at Nike may have reviewed your posting, but nobody of importance is going to be bothered. In fact, they've probably stopped reading blogs because of we all seem pretty ignorant (yes, me too at this point) based on their knowledge of the business. We would need a lot more comments like yours to raise any eyebrows. . .I mean to the point where it actually negatively impacts Nike's bottom line. Beside, do you know HOW MANY resumes Nike gets every day from people who want to work there!

So, never fear, your blog will live on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Someone Who's Survived in Portland, Oregon

85 months ago

Hi there and thanks for your feedback. As to my earlier post, actually... I don't think I was that bad.

I realize that my experience is not everyone's. There are many, many people at Nike who are quite happy and some who are probably completely jazzed about being there. I really wanted that too. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.

You are completely right on about appreciating what having Nike on your resume does for your present opportunities. This is one very solid reason why I hung on for as long as I did. I believe (in addition to my other experience) that having Nike listed on my resume had a great influence on landing an interview for the position I have now.

As with any company, most often, in addition to your own contributions, your success can depend a great deal on the rapport you have with your immediate manager. My manager seemed to take great pleasure in throwing marbles under my feet in an effort to get me to leave. Co-workers would come pat me on the back and leave me candy after surviving each insulting attack.

So, paranoid or not, I am fairly certain that the company does have folks searching for posts nd articles on the net. Regardless, no matter how much negative stuff is out here, there will still be over 2000 unsolicited resumes flooding their HR database a day, with eager Nike wannabees.

I'm glad your experience was positive. Ultimately, mine had a positive ending as it provided a stepping stone to a much better position and career. I went from insults to receiving compliments and spot award/gifts at my new job. Evidence that I was in the was really rong environment before but managed to learn something form it despite the rough time.

I was curious to see how long the post would stay up but I didn't share company secrets so no harm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wow in Wilmington, North Carolina

85 months ago

Nice to see your response, and I'm glad to hear the having Nike on your resume is helping you as much as it helped me. I just met with an HR consulting firm owner, and he pointed out that you can't work for the #1 company in an industry without picking up valuable information/learnings. So, in addition to having the Nike name on my resume, I've also walked away with tremendous knowledge.

And, I must agree that a manager can make all the difference in the world. I had both good and bad, and ultimately bad management was part (not all) of the reason I left.

Anyway, I had many great experiences at Nike, and made many friendships that I still have today. I'd actually go back to working for Nike at some point, and simply make sure that I surrounded myself--as much as possible--with people at all levels whom I respect.

I heard Nike gets somewhere around 20,000 resumes a week. I also heard that a couple friends who are recent Nike hires had about 26 informational interviews before they got a job. Interesting, eh.

Ciao' my friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

85 months ago

Someone who's survived in Schenectady, New York said: As a test, I'm going to post this and see how long it stays. I'm guessing that the Nike sleuths are scouring the Internet day and night to remove all negative comments about themselves from the net.
These forums are moderated by indeed.com and not by Nike. As long as your posts do not conflict with our terms of service you are welcome to discuss Nike here. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sinking in Quick Sand is Better!!! in Memphis, Tennessee

84 months ago

Someone who's survived in Schenectady, New York said: As a test, I'm going to post this and see how long it stays. I'm guessing that the Nike sleuths are scouring the Internet day and night to remove all negative comments about themselves from the net.

Want to work at Nike WHQ? If you're between the age of 22 - 28, have no kids and want to drink the coolaid - go for it!

The main campus is set up like a college campus - perfect for entering the workplace right out of college. Backpacks, sneakers, jeans and bellie shirts are the usual attire. The key to success (think Hollywood... few rise to the top) is to find a mentor. If you don't... well, Hah! It's Sink or Swim, baby!

Be careful who you talk to and who you're seen with. People are listening and they WILL gossip and deliver messages.

Hmm I wonder if that old swoosh site is still around. Now THERE are some interesting blogs there :)

Schenectady, New York I agree it was one of the worse experiences I have ever had in my entire work life experience. Its not just happening in NY its in TN also.

TRUST! You are not alone in the way you feel at the NY facility. There's another group feeling the same way. As far as mentors, you can count them on a finger, none came to mind except you or I, oops! My bad we work somewhere else now. Smart move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sinking in Quick Sand is Better!!! in Memphis, Tennessee

84 months ago

Wow in Wilmington, North Carolina said: Nice to see your response, and I'm glad to hear the having Nike on your resume is helping you as much as it helped me. I just met with an HR consulting firm owner, and he pointed out that you can't work for the #1 company in an industry without picking up valuable information/learnings. So, in addition to having the Nike name on my resume, I've also walked away with tremendous knowledge.

And, I must agree that a manager can make all the difference in the world. I had both good and bad, and ultimately bad management was part (not all) of the reason I left.

Anyway, I had many great experiences at Nike, and made many friendships that I still have today. I'd actually go back to working for Nike at some point, and simply make sure that I surrounded myself--as much as possible--with people at all levels whom I respect.

I heard Nike gets somewhere around 20,000 resumes a week. I also heard that a couple friends who are recent Nike hires had about 26 informational interviews before they got a job. Interesting, eh.

Ciao' my friend.

You can have "Nike" stamped on your head. Of the 20k that submit, only a few stay or even get selected.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Someone Who's Survived in Portland, Oregon

84 months ago

Schenectady, New York I agree it was one of the worse experiences I have ever had in my entire work life experience. Its not just happening in NY its in TN also.

TRUST! You are not alone in the way you feel at the NY facility. There's another group feeling the same way. As far as mentors, you can count them on a finger, none came to mind except you or I, oops! My bad we work somewhere else now. Smart move.

Haha... you are too funny. Yes - we both work somewhere else now. While I have to say that the experience I had was just about the worst job experience on a relationship level, I did learn a lot from it; and that's what counts. Even though my manager is a total beeotche' she could not take me down, which probably made her even more determined to make my life miserable. I survived 2 years on the WHQ campus with her daily micromanaging and belittling but none of that shows on my resume - does it? People who haven't worked there don't know what working at Nike is REALLY like. If they did, they'd probably say something like "Wow... you made it past one year - congratulations! Way to go"

I was told while I was there that on any given day, fewer than 50% of the employees have been employed by Nike for more than one year. This is a well-known fact shared by HR in several training classes. The lifers are really proud of the culture and are drunk on Kool-aid. They will quickly dismiss or negate any questions about why their turnover is so high. They don't have to care - they're Nike and there are 20,000 more applications in the cue, waiting for your job.

Good on YOU for finding a better place too. I love my new job, which is for a company of astronomical size (makes Nike look like a flea) and it's interesting to see the stark contrast in how I'm valued as an employee and a contributor to the business. I get accalades (I can't spell that) and performance awards regularly, as opposed to the penny an hour raise my manager gave me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

I still want in in Tualatin, Oregon

83 months ago

I drive past the Nike campus in Beaverton every on my way to work wishing that I was turning in there with them. It's a beautiful campus with lots of features. As for no kids, I have an 8 month old and the onsite daycare benefit sounds appealing to me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Someone Who's Survived in Beaverton, Oregon

83 months ago

If you really want a job there, just keep plugging your resume. It wasn't paradise for me, but it is for many others.

As for the onsite daycare, there's a very long waiting list. They're building a new facility, but I've lost touch with people on campus so don't know when it will be completed. When it is, it will open up a lot of spots for tots ;)

Good luck and have patience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Missing Oregon in Casper, Wyoming

81 months ago

I worked for Nike for over a year and have to say that I am definitely missing working there. After leaving you realize all they have to offer. If I ever move back to Oregon, I hope to return to Nike, the #1 company in the industry. Not to mention the sample sales, employee discounts, awesome campus, onsite daycare, and fun work environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Portland in Portland, Oregon

80 months ago

jipsecat in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I am attempting to get a job with Nike...any suggestions. So far, I have received the pre-interview questionarre and have not yet returned it. What is the secret?

If you've received a pre-interview questionnaire, you're further ahead than most people get who apply for a job at Nike. Nike uses a lot of the competencies-based interviewing so I would suggest doing a little research over the net to look for examples.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jipsecat in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

thanks for the pep talk and advice...will get on it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dipstick in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

78 months ago

Jan in Portland:

So how did your interview go? Do you mind sharing what the competencies-based interviewing was?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Portland, Oregon

69 months ago

NIKE sucks. I worked for them in a contract position at WHQ. They treat you like crap. The enviroment was 'dog eat dog' and the competition & confusion of the other contractors creates workplace abuse & mobbing situations. When NIKE is done with you they dispose of you abruptly. The whole experience was unprofessional, immature, and demeaning. NIKE who needs them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

cgee15 in Beaverton, Oregon

29 months ago

so how do you get a job there. I feel very qualified with my business degree attained from seattle university in international business; as well, I am currently working as an assistant manager at sherwin-williams. Not to mention I played 4 years of division 1 basketball there, and we were sponsored by Nike. But, I know going on the career website and applying to whatever looks like a fit is not the way to get in. You need a connect that can swing you an interview, or at least get you talking to the right people. But that seems impossible. How do you get in?

Wow in Wilmington, North Carolina said: I worked at Nike WHQ for 9 years and loved it. Also love the opportunities that having Nike on my resume has given me since leaving. . .not to mention all I learned while working there. Your recommendation of a mentor is excellent.

Sounds like you had a bad personal experience.

Like I often say, just 'cause your paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. Yes, someone at Nike may have reviewed your posting, but nobody of importance is going to be bothered. In fact, they've probably stopped reading blogs because of we all seem pretty ignorant (yes, me too at this point) based on their knowledge of the business. We would need a lot more comments like yours to raise any eyebrows. . .I mean to the point where it actually negatively impacts Nike's bottom line. Beside, do you know HOW MANY resumes Nike gets every day from people who want to work there!

So, never fear, your blog will live on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.