AVOID A JOB AT NORDSTROM AND NORDSTROM RACK, THEY FIRE WHEN BUSINESS IS SLOW

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Rubyj in Los Angeles, California

49 months ago

JEkelstein in Los Angeles, California said: I just got a job there and have the orientation soon. Do they drug test at the orientation? I don't smoke but my roommate does and I know I have some second hand in my system. Did they test at the beginning or end? 1st day or 2nd? Help!

I'm in the same situation. So Did they ever do a drug test? They didn't say anything about it

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

tiatiabobia in seattle, Washington

47 months ago

Rubyj in Los Angeles, California said: I'm in the same situation. So Did they ever do a drug test? They didn't say anything about it

no drug test

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Havertown, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

The other comment about being disposable and firing when they are slow is very true. At the Rack they clean house around Christmas. You could be getting good reviews, never late, etc. but they will let you go after a certain amount of time. I had one negative comment from a customer and I was out. I was there 3 years and got good reviews and good customer comments. One coworker was there 9 years and then got one nasty customer and he was out. But they want you to be perfect and have every single customer love you. Talk about unrealistic. So you have to be perky, phony and upbeat 100% of the time, talk up everything about the Rack as so wonderful, but in the meantime, they treat the associates like pure crap. They work you to death, threaten that if you don't do everything you're supposed to, they'll keep you here all night if they have to. They give you so much in one shift to do that no one could really do. If you don't, you hear it and they write you up. So you run around feeling like you're so awful because you couldn't do it all. I don't think I was ever treated so badly at a job. Awful.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Gina in Austin, Texas

41 months ago

I SOOOOOO Agree with you Michelle on so many different levels! I worked my butt off at the rack for a full solid year. From the moment I started, to the moment I put in my 2 weeks, which when I think about it, I should have just walked off and gave them all the finger and told them where to stick it! It's like your walking into High School all over again with all the drama. They like to hire teens and 20 somethings! They are about ageism too. They don't really promote anyone older in age. Everything is about who you know, who's butt your kissing best and you have to generally look the part. All by still wearing a horrible ugly t- shirt they make you wear. Your work ethic means nothing to them, all they are concerned about is how many reward cards you get, and emails. Basically the numbers! They only promote people who rub them the right way. So basicially you can be lazy as heck, but if you kiss their butts and play their game right, your in! VERY POLITICAL! And they have this stupid meaningless "Open Door Policy" that you feel would be protecting your rights of employment? Think again! If you bring up the fact that you have proof, and also perceive that you are being treated unfairly or bypassed for promotions, and talk to HR about it? That is all it will go. Even if you try to call corporate, they are ALL in it together to mainly protect themselves and not YOU! The managers, The people who have been promoted, all the way up to the big wigs, I personally do not think of them as good people. They are fake, two faced, butt kissing, judge mental, self centered people who stop at nothing for their power trip! Not one decent person I knew, has ever made it to a lead position. I knew of a decent manager who actually stood up for me to the Store Manager, because he did not agree with how I was being unfairly passed up for promotion, and he ended up being demoted from manager to sales person shortly after. Such Bull!! Don't get me started on The Full Line Store!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

aidabach in West Palm Beach, Florida

28 months ago

You know guys this is with every job not just Nordstrom. Banks are the worst you have idols runing the show and wonder how they ever got there, trust me its every job now. Just do your time and call it a day. The world has change and not for the better but yet look whos runing it so dont be hard on yourself you will NEVER win.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Adinamh@*****.***

24 months ago

I need to get onto their employee website and look at some of there policies. Can anyone help? Adinamh@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous 519 in Bronx, New York

17 months ago

I have been working at the rack for a little over a year now and have to agree with past employees this is by far the worse company I have ever worked for. Its just like walking into a highschool and every manager is phony they only look out for themselves and will throw you under the bus and chance you get. The managers dont support their team memeber at all. Its all about whos butt your kissing and who you know not what you know.Your work ethic means absolutely nothing to them. They bypass people all the time for promotions and treat people like dirt. They are running a dictatorship instead of leadership and then expect everyone to run around with smiles and get work done. Their pyramid idea is crap because they dont value their employees at all and think because they paying more than most retailers it enables them to treat their employees like crap. What I find sad is that people are saying its happening throughout the company and going to upper management will do nothing. The store was planning to go to cooperate as a team to see if we get results but i guess its going to be useless. So for next employees save your time and enegry The Rack sells nothing but lies to their employees.It brings the worse out in people and make their best people lose faith in the company!! Im extremely disappointed with the company. This is coming from a graduted of fnl a current allstar and lead. I think someone needs to write to the editors who said they value employees and tell them what actually goes down working for the company!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

retaildupe in Virginia Beach, Virginia

11 months ago

aidabach is correct, all retail is the same. Here is what they expect at Nordstrom Rack: 10 mobile transactions per day, with at least six customers giving up their email address to you..."E-receipt." Sign up one credit card per week, more is better. NR has a new "non-tender" membership where customer receives one point per dollar spent. They "only" need to give out their cell phone number and, hahah, email address to enroll in this fantastic "trip driver." It does not matter how hard you work, how fast you do go-backs, or how much you help customers. It's all about signing up credit or debit cards, email addresses, and number of mobile checkouts. On slow days, you practically have to pull customers out of checkout line to do a mobile checkout. Then, in middle of checkout, wifi goes out and you lose the entire transaction. So much for a "fast and friendly checkout." Some associates do nothing but hover by the checkout and nab customers to mobile checkout. These people are heroes. Meanwhile, cloth piles up in the sorting room because they are checking out customers as they leave fitting room. Then you get to fitting room for your shift, and there is a full rack, with extensions fully out, filled with clothes that YOU have to sort, while you also greet new customers coming to try stuff on. NR allows 15 items per room; they show up with 25 things, then stand there and decide which 15 they will take first. Then when they are all done, they take one "Abound" t-shirt for $9.95. And the customers walk up to you and ask "...is my daughter in there?" How would I effin know who your daughter is? You will be all alone, even though there are supposed to be at least two associates at the fitting room. This will almost never happen, except maybe during the holidays. You will be run ragged. You will hear "....engage each customer, tell them about our rewards program, sign them up. We need double digits today for new accounts!" This is once an hour, at minimum. I e run out of space

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Daniella Dalene in Hayward, California

11 months ago

This actually wasn't the case for me. I was a top rewarded in my store when I worked at the rack, and as of three months ago I was given the approval to switch to a full line Nordsteom store. I love full line more because of the opportunity to make more money with commission as well as the crowd of customers being a LOT different in terms of attitude at Nordstrom. I worked SE at the rack, and in comparison to Nordstrom, the rack is much more fast paced being that it's a discount store. Ringing people up on the mobile isn't hard to do - it's simple and pleases the customers waiting in line. If you see a customer using a debit card, offer them the Nordstrom debit since the money is coming from their checking account anyway AND they'll get $20 back towards their next purchase when they spend $100. Personally, I think the non tender rewards card is pointless. It takes forever for someone who doesn't spend large amounts of money on clothing to even get a $29 note.

What everyone is complaint about is management, and with the wrong person/people in charge eventually the best workers leave due to a lack of respect, lack of their voices being heard, and cattiness. I would definitely recommend working at Nordstrom over Nordstrom Rack

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

candlestick in Port Huron, Michigan

10 months ago

Anonymous 519 in Bronx, New York said: I have been working at the rack for a little over a year now and have to agree with past employees this is by far the worse company I have ever worked for. Its just like walking into a highschool and every manager is phony they only look out for themselves and will throw you under the bus and chance you get. The managers dont support their team memeber at all. Its all about whos butt your kissing and who you know not what you know.Your work ethic means absolutely nothing to them. They bypass people all the time for promotions and treat people like dirt. They are running a dictatorship instead of leadership and then expect everyone to run around with smiles and get work done. Their pyramid idea is crap because they dont value their employees at all and think because they paying more than most retailers it enables them to treat their employees like crap. What I find sad is that people are saying its happening throughout the company and going to upper management will do nothing. The store was planning to go to cooperate as a team to see if we get results but i guess its going to be useless. So for next employees save your time and enegry The Rack sells nothing but lies to their employees.It brings the worse out in people and make their best people lose faith in the company!! Im extremely disappointed with the company. This is coming from a graduted of fnl a current allstar and lead. I think someone needs to write to the editors who said they value employees and tell them what actually goes down working for the company!

And the Allstar program is also politically controlled. People that I have seen get it are usually lazy or it in the back room not on the the floor dealing with the rude customers.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

candlestick in Port Huron, Michigan

8 months ago

Totally agree 100% with the above statements. Although when I worked there we had a dress code that was professional and business. Men had to wear shirt and tie, Women it is slacks, suits, dresses, sweaters and skirts. And we did not have mobile checkout. But the expectations were the same. Not enough help to cover floor, management would not know how to get enough people in the departments and not enough coverage in the fitting room. Usually one person and with no help to unload the rolling racks that were pretty much packed.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Hailey in California

7 months ago

candlestick in Port Huron, Michigan said: Totally agree 100% with the above statements. Although when I worked there we had a dress code that was professional and business . Men had to wear shirt and tie, Women it is slacks, suits, dresses, sweaters and skirts. And we did not have mobile checkout. But the expectations were the same. Not enough help to cover floor, management would not know how to get enough people in the departments and not enough coverage in the fitting room. Usually one person and with no help to unload the rolling racks that were pretty much packed.

Nordstrom still doesn't have mobile checkout, although the dress code has changed drastically.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Doni in Grayslake, Illinois

7 months ago

Rubyj in Los Angeles, California said: I'm in the same situation. So Did they ever do a drug test? They didn't say anything about it

I work at the one in Chicago and I didn't take a drug test.been here 1year 4months

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Truth in Houston, Texas

6 months ago

There is a manager at the galleria Nordstrom in Houston, who is a bully and discriminates against older employees. The big wigs know This, but nothing is done. It is against the law to discriminate and harass employees. Something must be done! We are scared of losing our jobs also if we say anything But karma will happen one day when you don't treat others right.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Panda in Washington

6 months ago

Michelle in Havertown, Pennsylvania said: The other comment about being disposable and firing when they are slow is very true. At the Rack they clean house around Christmas. You could be getting good reviews, never late, etc. but they will let you go after a certain amount of time. I had one negative comment from a customer and I was out. I was there 3 years and got good reviews and good customer comments. One coworker was there 9 years and then got one nasty customer and he was out. But they want you to be perfect and have every single customer love you. Talk about unrealistic. So you have to be perky, phony and upbeat 100% of the time, talk up everything about the Rack as so wonderful, but in the meantime, they treat the associates like pure crap. They work you to death, threaten that if you don't do everything you're supposed to, they'll keep you here all night if they have to. They give you so much in one shift to do that no one could really do. If you don't, you hear it and they write you up. So you run around feeling like you're so awful because you couldn't do it all. I don't think I was ever treated so badly at a job. Awful.

That's not true. At all. At the rack I worked at people were not disposable. If you were seasonal, and the season was over then yes you have a chance to leave. However most of our seasonal associates were able to stay. The only time people truly got let go was for 1. Stealing, and 2. Never showing up for work.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Dmarie in California

6 months ago

Panda in Washington said: That's not true. At all. At the rack I worked at people were not disposable. If you were seasonal, and the season was over then yes you have a chance to leave. However most of our seasonal associates were able to stay. The only time people truly got let go was for 1. Stealing, and 2. Never showing up for work.

Same! I completely disagree with the disposable part at least at the Nordstrom Rack I worked at. As a matter of fact it seemed as though it was almost impossible to get fired. Employees were late all of the time. The only time I know of people getting fired is for constant "no call no show" and internal theft. Aside from that I think it is very hard to get fired from the job. It's easy to get the rewards you just have to put your mind to it and believe you can do it. Plus, the pay out on signing someone up for a Nordstrom reward card whether they're approved or not is a cool incentive.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

A. in Dallas, Texas

5 months ago

Hailey in California said: Nordstrom still doesn't have mobile checkout, although the dress code has changed drastically.

I work at Nordstrom, and we do in fact have mobile check out. Though they are faulty and half of them work at best.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

candlestick in Port Huron, Michigan

5 months ago

When working at a Nordstrom Rack I instead of just scanning a few items that came in from the full line store I would scan the entire fixture and found quite a few items that were missed mark from the sale price from the store and changed it to the correct selling price that we were selling it at. Not only that when the department decided to go on vacation for 3 weeks and allowed the fitting room to back up I asked to come in early in the morning to make sure that those or as much as much as I could get out before the store opened and that days back up was added to it pile with no recognition or thank you when they returned.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

DontDoDoIT in San Antonio, Texas

5 months ago

I have been working for Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack for a couple of years m(5+) and WOW. They really know how to to make a job 100 times harder then it should be. They like to promote within the company but they dont do proper training. On your first day you can expect to be thrown in blindly. You might have a little bit of help from another non-manager associate but Nordstrom does NOT provide adequate training. Which results in a domino effect down the road. I have worked there long enough to know that new hires, no matter if they are hired as Sales Associates, Cashiers, or Managers, recieve adequate training. Most of the time, or in my experience, a new manager takes the role and never bothers to learn the department. So if the Manager doesn't know the department, then who trains new hires? Exactly, my point. No one!

Calling HR has never been so pointless! Your manager can roll their eyes at you, speak to you in a rude manner in front of customers and associates and you can just kiss your feelings goodbye because HR doesn't care. They sweep everything under the rug.

Unfortunately as time has gone by Nordstrom has proven to disappoint. After many chances, and years of trying to keep a positive attitude, it just weighs you down. They boast about being a good company to work for, but that's not true. They don't treat everyone equal. If you are quiet but work hard, you are not good enough because they want someone who is constantly kissing butt. But not to worry, even if you kiss butt you will eventually told you're not doing well either.

They started to do these employee surveys which helped a little bit but I know they are anonymous so they might not be able to trace it down to the store no matter how much you complain on them.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

DontDoDoIT in San Antonio, Texas

5 months ago

Here are just some random fun facts about Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack.

- If you work at the rack you have to wear an unsightly green shirt that makes you look like you have NO fashion sense. It's lime green and you wear it year round. And yes, people will ask if you work there.

- Employees cannot hold merchandise. Usually the item can only be held for the day. A lot of employees will try to hold till a sale, and usually the items will be put back by a manager. On the other hand, the store manager will hold hundreds of dollars worth of Merch in their office for weeks to get the sale price. So College student can't get a discount but Store Manager with higher pay grade can? Oh and that counts for regular managers too. They LOVE to hold their items on their desks for months.

- You get monthly visits from Regionals. And your manager will most likely run around like a chicken with their head cut off. Everything will be perfect that day so that they are fooled. You will most likely be asked to come in at 5 A.M to prepare the floor because it's not worked on on the daily. Their will suddenly be an abundance of employees on the floor that day. Your manager will say "Hi" to you for the first time in MONTHS because of this visit. Because they probably don't even know your name or acknowledge your existence any other day. That day you better be on your best behavior and don't speak to the regionals because your manager will be purposely attatched to their hip to make sure you don't say anything about them to them. They are constantly on the walkies warning everyone about the regionals location. No one should be that worried if they had nothing to hide right?

- The equipment doesnt work. Okay most of the time the equiptment doesnt work. All that money but no replacements. Or the replacements take months to come in. Yet they will expect you to wear a walkie and carry a mobile device and use each properly but THEY DONT WQRK.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Lovely Rita Meter Maid in Hammond, Indiana

4 months ago

Schererville, In location, store not up and running, but the lack of organization during the preparation of opening day is funny and sad all at the same time. Every day a little bit more crap is thrown into the mix, I can see how the younger generation can fall for the game plan; but for those who had bad retail experience before; you are not fooling us. We have seen this game plan before; you are fooling yourselves if you think there is 8 million per year to be made here; retail stores are closing around you. This area does not have the $$ consistency you strive for; best to go back to Chgo Susan.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Aaisha in Laurel, Maryland

15 days ago

I am so sad to say that I work for nordstorm Towson and the cosmetic manager is rude and so unprofessional.. I am 4 months pregnant and for her to tell me that I can't sit down for few mins to relax. I have to be off the floor every time.. that my schedule is off and that she will fire me.. is this how they treat a pregnant woman on top she is pregnant herself always on the computer sitting down demanding that I doesn't.. I'm so sadden to even think this is happening to me at this time..

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.