Management Trainee Program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1009)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

PeeJay23 in Auburn Hills, Michigan

70 months ago

Has anyone ever participated in the Norfolk Southern Management Trainee Program? If so, what is it like? How much do they offer for relocation assistance?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Rob Brummy in Macon, Georgia

70 months ago

Relocation is about $3700 and they move your belongings at no cost to you. After training the relocation benefits improve drastically. They will purchase your home after 6mo. of trying to sell it and if the market dropped and you sell at a loss they make up the difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

PeeJay23 in Huntsville, Alabama

70 months ago

Rob Brummy in Macon, Georgia said: Relocation is about $3700 and they move your belongings at no cost to you. After training the relocation benefits improve drastically. They will purchase your home after 6mo. of trying to sell it and if the market dropped and you sell at a loss they make up the difference.

Thanks Rob. I have been invited to one of NS recruiting session for their Management Trainee Program,Do you have information on whats that like? And whats the interview process is like if you past the tests?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Atl123 in Atlanta, Georgia

69 months ago

Rob Brummy in Macon, Georgia said: I attended a recruiting session recently and am waiting for the recruiting season to be over to get the results. They said we should know something by early Nov. The session was informal, not like the conductor recruiting sessions I have read about. There is a test consisting of a couple of problem solving questions (given these shifts need filling, the company policy and the employee request create a schedule), several butterfly is to flower as ___ is to ___ questions and the 200+ question personality test. Before the test they tell you about the company, the benefits and the disadvantages. Then there is an interview. For my group of about 15 the interviews were one on one consisting of the typical interview questions, nothing off the wall like, what animal would you be.

Research the company and don't ask questions that are easily located on the web site, this makes it appear that you are not very serious. DON"T be late. You will be allowed in, but it is noted by the recruiters and you are basically wasting your time.

Think about your work or school experience and situations that have demonstrated problem solving, influencing others, leadership, etc. Use these examples to push your qualifications, if a funny story is associated with one of these tell it if it is not a long story. If you can give them a reason to remember you that is positive I think it will help your chances. NS has received over 100,000 applicants for all positions, so you have to make yourself stand out.

Hi guys and gals. I attended a recruiting session for the Management Trainee position last week. I think I did very well on the tests and interview, and hopefully I will be extended a department interview.

I know that the recruiters said that we should hear something by early Nov., but I was just wondering if anyone had heard back from Norfolk yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I got a call last week telling me they were interested in me and the details for the 2nd round would arrive this week. If it doesn't arrive Fri. I am going to give him a call back. I'll let you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Rob Brummy in Macon, Georgia said: I got a call last week telling me they were interested in me and the details for the 2nd round would arrive this week. If it doesn't arrive Fri. I am going to give him a call back. I'll let you know.

Thanks for the reply Rob.

Do you know how the details for the 2nd round are going to arrive (e-mail, snail-mail, call, etc.)? Also, what department did you apply for?

I was really hoping to hear something this week also. I am getting very nervous that I have not heard anything back from them yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I called today and he said my invitation would go out early next week (snail mail). I received a phone call a week ago, but I don't know if that is the norm or because they lost some of my stuff. I originally applied for management training in construction management, industrial development and mechanical. Because of my prior work experience they wanted me consider operations supervisor positions, same end result only about 6 mo training.

For round 2 they are considering me for operations supervisor - track maintenance. I take it my advice in an earlier posting works since they lost my stuff and still called me.

What did you apply for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Rob Brummy in Macon, Georgia said: I called today and he said my invitation would go out early next week (snail mail). I received a phone call a week ago, but I don't know if that is the norm or because they lost some of my stuff. I originally applied for management training in construction management, industrial development and mechanical. Because of my prior work experience they wanted me consider operations supervisor positions, same end result only about 6 mo training.

For round 2 they are considering me for operations supervisor - track maintenance. I take it my advice in an earlier posting works since they lost my stuff and still called me.

What did you apply for?

I applied for either the Construction Management (Maintenance of Way) and/or Design & Construction departments. I have 9 years of experience in civil engineering and land surveying, and the recruiter I interviewed with thought that these two departments would be the best fit for me. To be honest I would prefer a position in the Design & Construction department because it would be based here in Atlanta, however my degree is in business rather than engineering so I think that if I am extended an interview it will be for Construction Management.

My recruiting session was only last Wednesday, and I remember them saying that it may take a a few weeks for a response. With that said I am just anxious for a response because I am expecting to interview for other positions within the next two weeks.

I really wish I had a phone number for my recruiter. All I have is her e-mail address, which is not my preferred method of communication. I guess I will just watch my mail box, and if I do not hear anything by the middle of next week I will send my recruiter an e-mail.

Thanks again for the reply Rob, and I too will keep you posted.

Patrick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bigTomHanks in Midway, Georgia

69 months ago

I went to a recruiting session in October and recently recieved an email from them inviting me to the second/final round of interviews. The women who ran the recruiting session were very nice and presented a good image for the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

bigTomHanks, when did you receive the e-mail? And what department did you apply for?

tsnizzle in Dayton, Ohio

69 months ago

Hey all,

I got the email that I have made it to department inteviews in Atlanta on Nov 11 and 12 so hopefully I will see some of you guys down there, good luck! My experience was this, I applied, 4 months later they called lol for a pre interview at some recruting session at Ohio State. About three weeks later i got an email stating that I have made it to the final interviews. The position I am going for is MGMT Trainee Transportation Operations. It took forever but the starting salary is 54k plus bonus your first year, but I was told you will work your ass off which is what i need lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Timothy23 in Atlanta, Georgia

69 months ago

I received an email inviting me to the second/final interview in Atlanta on Dec 2 and 3rd, I was at my initial orientation on October 30th.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

tsnizzle in Dayton, Ohio said: Hey all,

I got the email that I have made it to department inteviews in Atlanta on Nov 11 and 12 so hopefully I will see some of you guys down there, good luck!

Nov or Dec? I will be there Dec 11 and 12.

69 months ago

Where are the openings that they are trying to fill? Anybody kmow ?

69 months ago

Timothy23 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Where are the openings that they are trying to fill? Anybody kmow ?

Everywhere NS operates. During the first round they made it extremely clear to us you must be willing to relocate, you must be willing to relocate and you must be willing to relocate.

69 months ago

Im okay with relocation,I just wonder if there are some railyards that are more advantageous to training than others. In other words,would Chicago be a better fit than Atlanta?

69 months ago

Congrats !! See you in Atlanta.

tsnizzle in Washington, District of Columbia

68 months ago

For everyone who has or will be interviewing good luck. Just to let you guys/gals know I got the Managememnt Trainee Transportation job so all of this advice is from my experience. I am relocating so they are paying for that 3700.00 for misc expenses that is TAXABLE to my income. It is no secret that MT in transportation start out at 54k per year (it is on the website) I had a physical (very very through) drug test (hair and urine) and a police backround check (yes i had to actually bring my college degree frame and all to the NS cops lol.) They will locate you wherever they want but they will pay to move you. You will work long hours get little sleep but, if you can put up with it it is very rewarding. Give it 3 to 5 years and I have been told you will be in a position to not only make some REAL CASH but that it will become a little more stable.....that being said it is the railroad. The bonus starts out at 5% of your salary if you earn 100 percent of the bonus. Typically Management earns around 80 to 90 percent, good check at the end of the year so I have been told from a very reliable source. All and all I am happy with my decision to start working for NS, good money, good benefits, for a young single guy who could ask for more?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sticker in Mishawaka, Indiana

68 months ago

tsnizzle I'm going to atlanta in dec, when is the physical? I just had some surgery and I'm hoping that don't stop me from getting the job. I dont know if i sould say anything in atlanta or hope that the physical is later when i'm heeled. Any insight would help

68 months ago

Where are you relocating to,tsnizzle??

Clark Howe in Woodstock, Georgia

68 months ago

tsnizzle-

Can you please describe what you mean by "very very through" physical. What were you asked to do during the physical? Blood work, cardio test, eye/hearing test, etc.?

tsnizzle in Montgomery, Alabama

68 months ago

sorry guys I am currently out of the country until the beg of Jan. The physical consisted of this, hearing test, reflex test, asked about medical history, the old cough cough test if you know what I mean lol, drug test both hair and urine and a depth preception test. It takes about an hour or so and even though I failed the depth preception part I still passed. They just want to make sure you can walk around climb on things and that you do not do drugs lol. I am relocating to Knoxville Tenn but the first few weeks will be in Norfolk and in Mcdounagh GA for inital training. They ususally do your physical close to where you live, for me it was in Cincinnatti, OH. No cardio test or blood work. They ask you how you feel, are you addicted to drugs or alcohol and have you ever had any surgery, if they have any questions they will call you and ask after the physical. Hopefully this helps you guys out. Take care and see you guys on the system!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya in Fayetteville, Georgia

66 months ago

Hello Guys, has anyone gone through the Operations Supervisor Trainee-Communication & Signals? If so, can you shed some insight on what to expect on Career Day and the hiring process? Thanks a Bunch

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

trong123 in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

Rob Brummy in Macon, Georgia said: Everywhere NS operates. During the first round they made it extremely clear to us you must be willing to relocate, you must be willing to relocate and you must be willing to relocate.

Rob, did you get the operations supervisor - track maintenancee position? Can you shed some light on your experience regarding the 2nd interview? I applied for this position also...I have a lot of management experience and studied construction management in the army....Where is your training if you got the job...Additioanl details will help as I have not gotten any info back yet..My status just says in process...Is that a good thing?

J.P in Norcross, Georgia

44 months ago

trong123 in Chicago, Illinois said: Rob, did you get the operations supervisor - track maintenancee position? Can you shed some light on your experience regarding the 2nd interview? I applied for this position also...I have a lot of management experience and studied construction management in the army....Where is your training if you got the job...Additioanl details will help as I have not gotten any info back yet..My status just says in process...Is that a good thing?

How is the 2nd interview session? They invited me to the 2nd session in Norfolk on the 9th and 10th.

cubbies in Hammond, Indiana

44 months ago

Anybody have any insight on the what the 2nd interview is like for mechanical mgmt trainees?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FredHead in Atlanta, Georgia

43 months ago

Question about the physical. I've been given a conditional job offer, and have heard rumors that they are sticklers on the blood pressure. It's an office job, and I have a history of high blood pressure. Worried that I'll not "pass" the blood pressure part.

Anybody have any insight into what passes or fails the physical?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

AU in Montgomery, Alabama

42 months ago

Hey everyone. I have an on campus recruiting interview with NS for the Management Trainee program on Friday. They are conducting 12 one on one interviews but they will also be attending our university job fairs as well as hosting a information session on Feb 17. Do you guys feel i have great chance at possibly obtaining a position because of the interview prior to these other sessions? Also is there any advice for how I should prepare? Thanks!

tsnizzle in Atlanta, Georgia

42 months ago

My advice? Move onto the next table. I worked in the MT program for about a year and a half before i quit. Yeah yeah they throw good money at you but trust me, if you go into ANY operations department you will never see your friends, family or have any reasonable time off. NS has about a 45% yearly turnover rate for MT's because they simply lie to you throughout the whole process. I moved three times in one year and after the third time I said no thanks.

If you like never seeing your family or having a life then this company is right for your. If you have a degree you have better options, trust me. They also provide you with NO and i repeat NO transferable skills to other jobs!!! They're systems are outdated by about twenty years, and they just started using EMAIL ten years ago....think about it.... Please I'm telling you from experience, LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

nomnom in Tampa, Florida

42 months ago

AU and tsnizzle, may I ask you a few questions? I attended a Norfolk Southern information session Jan. 14th in Atlanta. I listened to their spiel. I am MORE than qualified for the Management Trainee program (BS in Real Estate and MBA from Florida State..and a MHA from Saint Leo University (blah blah...it was free, my father is a professor there).

I had a great interview with the recruiter and spoke with the HR department and it looks as if I will be extended a second interview in the coming weeks. tsnizzle, why are you complaining about this organization? For the transportation trainee, were you not told that you will have to relocate often....because I surely remember certain positions that must move constantly. I am interviewing for a marketing trainee position, which I assume would be located in Norfolk, Roanoke and possibly Atlanta.

AU, please update the forum of your experience. Good luck.

AU in Elmore, Alabama

42 months ago

Thanks guys for your info!

@tsnizzle. I agree with nomnom. Were you not aware within the Transportation position that frequent travel and/or relocation was required. That is the only negative that has changed my interest in that particular dept. I don't mind travel and relocation because im a single 24 year old female but it can become excessive. I also know that in a position at any top corporate company is not gonna be a walk in the park will require effect especially as a recent graduate like myself. Were there any other aspects that you did not like?

@nomnom How did you prepare for your interview? Im not really nervous but I know it is extremely competitive and it is essential to make yourself stand out from others that are interviewing as well. I have a BBA in Business Admin from Auburn University and will complete my Masters of Architecture in Urban/Community Planning in May. I am primarily interested in either the Real Estate division (previously experience in property mngt while in college) or the Design/Construction division (directly related to my masters program). Good luck with your 2nd interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AU in Elmore, Alabama

42 months ago

Not sure why my location randomly changed to Elmore, AL

42 months ago

Excuse me?? I have a BBA from the University of Michigan and an MBA from the University of Georgia. NS 1. paid me too little for my degree, 2. were ridiclious when it came to time of and 3. had no real grasp of any sort of formal review process. This company is a joke for new college graduates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

I'm not sure why everyone is getting personal but the fact of the matter is yes they will relocate you. You will work 3rd shift and your days off will be Tuesday and Wednesday. You will NEVER EVER have any free time. You will work 60+ hours a week minimum and after you are all moved in and are ready to start learning about a community BAM!! You are moved again. I'm not talking in two to three years I'm talking 6 to 12 months. Like I said before, it is a great job if you like that sort of thing, but management is very old school, upward mobility is limited and the formal review process for raises is lacking. Also, nepitism in this company is VERY VERY high, so don't expect to promote based on your merit, expect to be promoted on who your relative is... I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt to prove it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AU in Elmore, Alabama

42 months ago

@tsnizzle Thanks for your feedback. Your info is very helpful. Were you allowed to give a preference in the divisions in which you wanted to be placed or were you forced to the Transportation division? I would like some type of option on where I wish to be placed. Also were you given an option on your initial location? I have a friend whose father works with NS and he told me that the MT's move a ton

nomnom in Tampa, Florida

42 months ago

AU, I was told during my information session that Norfolk Southern was not currently hiring for the Real Estate department. Regardless, be prepared to a competency exam that consists of scheduling staff based on employee preferences and organizational restrictions; placing employees in work spaces according to preference and functionality; many SAT verbal-type questions synonyms/antonyms; and finally a very long personality profile...t/f questions.

If you truly want a position with Norfolk Southern, make sure to their entire presentation. Write down a few positions of interest and be prepared to speak to your strengths on each position. I felt that my skills were most appropriate for the Marketing Program (first) and Revenue Accounting (second)...thus, I presented my strengths accordingly.

Conduct yourself with confidence and tact. My interview was very informal and flowed nicely.

I am 25 and feel as if we have a similar educational background. Good luck and remain positive : )

AU in Elmore, Alabama

42 months ago

Ok great. They have the real estate department listed on the website as a department they are recruiting for this spring so I hope they are. If not, Design/Construction are fine with me. Are the exams conducted at the info session or during the interview?

42 months ago

Honestly, a NON operations position would be the way to go if you want to work for NS. As far as interviewing whatever you put on your application is what you will be considered for, i.e. if you put Transportation you will be considered for transportation. Keep this in mind as well, you will NEVER be allowed to switch departments with this company. I shouldn't say never but it is very rare. If you DO want to work for NS and do NOT want to relocate ever 6 to 12 months try a non operations department or the Customer Service Department. While you will work some third shifts in Customer Service you will be relocated to Atlanta and have at least some quality of life and not have to worry about moving. As far as revenue accounting, marketing, real estate, labor relations etc, those are USUALLY Monday through Friday 7-430 type of positions.

I hope this helps you, I just don't want you to make the same mistake I made. It was great at first, but it goes down hill quickly if you are in an operations type role.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nomnom in Tampa, Florida

42 months ago

**be prepared for a competency

tsnizzle, Transportation Management Trainees move. Why didn't you apply for other positions if you have a MBA? I honestly never considered a Transportation Management Trainee because of my educational background.

42 months ago

Transportation made the most money without having an engineering degree..... My goal was to get into Transportation Planning, but you can't start there as an MT

Non operations departments only started off in the low 40's

Engineering started there folks off in the 60's

AU in Elmore, Alabama

42 months ago

Thanks so much tsnizzle! This has been a great help because I hadnt been able to find any straight forward info on other discussion boards. RE is truly where I would like to be but i have a ton of other depts including marketing and customer service so I may fit anywhere. I will most definitely keep all of this information in mind. Do you know any other good MT programs that may be similar?

nomnom in Tampa, Florida

42 months ago

AU in Elmore, Alabama said: Ok great. They have the real estate department listed on the website as a department they are recruiting for this spring so I hope they are. If not, Design/Construction are fine with me. Are the exams conducted at the info session or during the interview?

AU, if I recall, every Management Trainee position is listed on the career website. The information session was the introduction to my information session. The HR department interviewed applicants during the exams. I finished my exams before I was called for the one-on-one interview process, so I just waited patiently. Thankfully, my name was called early in the process (the entire information session/examination/interview lasted approximately 2.5 hours). Norfolk Southern furnished lunch, but I was not hungry and finished before my alloted time.....so I just went back to my hotel room/packed/and left for the airport.

I hope this helps. I would be glad to answer any further questions.

42 months ago

Why are you having such an issue with me? I'm typing fast because i have a lot going on at work. I'm trying to help people out where as all you are doing is trolling lol. You are truly an ass, you will fit in well with the railroad lol. Don't worry about me I'm working my office job 8-5 in Atlanta with my mispellings and all laughing at you because you truly don't know what you are going to get yourself into. Easy young grasshoper, you will see where I'm coming from if you are lucky enough to EVENTUALLY get a job at NS. Unitl then, have fun everyone and remember this was MY perspective, I'm sure other people have other perspectives. Take care all and good luck in your careers at NS if that is the route you choose to take.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Oh and in case you are wondering, I am working LESS hours than you will and I am making MORE money. Wrap your little head around that when you are sitting at a desk at 3am on your 14th hour of work wishing you never took the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nomnom in Tampa, Florida

42 months ago

There is misuse and spelling corrections. You obviously do not understand the english language. Where exactly do you work? Please tell what company allows "their" employee to "troll" message boards on company time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

AU in Elmore, Alabama

42 months ago

Thanks for the feedback guys! Well the feedback actually related to me lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

i dnt mspll wrds, u do. I dnt need ne lip form u mister. I hpoe u enjoy acting lkie ur 11 yrs old....

LOL. If there are any other serious inquries about this company please let me know. Take care guys

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Well if you would read my earlier post I said I took the job because of the MONEY. The other positions paid like crap for the amount of education I have obtained. YOU obviously have a reading comprehension issue lol. You must work for NS lol they way you are defending them. Did you also know that NS gets about 350 EEO related complaints to the Federal Government every year? Most of which are settled out of court of course, just food for thought...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nomnom in Tampa, Florida

42 months ago

Overview

As a transportation trainee, you will learn railroad operations in preparation to supervise conductors and locomotive engineers at a rail terminal or a road territory. You will also spend time in rail towers, dispatch centers and riding trains. You will learn how we move our customers’ freight and ultimately become responsible for the safe and efficient operations of freight trains through the system. Interested candidates must be willing to relocate across our 22 state operating territory, work on call, and travel.

What We Look For in a Candidate

An undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university is required. While we will consider any undergraduate degree holders, candidates with degrees such as transportation, logistics, supply chain management, business administration, operations management and industrial engineering are especially suited as transportation managers with Norfolk Southern.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, quick-paced environment and should have skills in problem solving, communication and leadership. The ability to work under pressure, stress, time and safety constraints is a key characteristic of our best employees

Trainees will be assigned to one of 11 field division headquarters locations for their initial assignment in the management trainee program. After completion of the program, trainees are generally relocated for their first supervisory position. Candidates must be willing to relocate several times throughout their career to be successful in this type of work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Yep, he works for NS lol. Loser.... I keep it honest on my experiences and all this guy can do is copy and paste info from the website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.