What does it take or whom must you know, to get a job with the State of North Carolina

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Carl Campri in Wilson, North Carolina

94 months ago

I have applied for an Artist Illustrator II and III position 8 or 9 different times, since February 2006 through the present, in different departments for the state of North Carolina and have only interviewed twice.

With 20 years of experience in the appropriate field, I am beginning to question "what" I am doing wrong or whom I need to get to know!

Any advice would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

796 in Cornelius, North Carolina

91 months ago

Carl Campri in Wilson, North Carolina said: I have applied for an Artist Illustrator II and III position 8 or 9 different times, since February 2006 through the present, in different departments for the state of North Carolina and have only interviewed twice.

With 20 years of experience in the appropriate field, I am beginning to question "what" I am doing wrong or whom I need to get to know!

Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't believe you are doing anything wrong. I have also applied for State positions meeting or exceeding the job requirements and have never qualified for an interview. I recently noticed that the same job(s) are reposted over and over again on the State Job website They are removed for a week or two on the deadline date and then reposted and the cycle continues. I am beginning to think it is all a numbers game with no intention of hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

zanai in windsor, Connecticut

90 months ago

I have also had the same experience with NC. I applied and interviewed for two positions and have not received any responses. Nevertheless, I have checked the state's website and have noticed that the same positions were reposted. I don't understand either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike Miller in Raleigh, North Carolina

66 months ago

I don't think you're doing anything wrong at all. I have worked at city, county, and federal levels of government, and the process of application, review, and selection is never swift, never sure, and almost always protractive.

I have over 30 years in the training business, over 20 in technical training and over 10 in leadership of corporate training. I've applied for this job twice already this year. Realize that with the economy, budget cuts, hiring freezes, and a scrutiny constantly being placed on how the state spends money, a job with the State of North Carolina is very difficult to secure.

Government jobs are considered among the more "secure", and with nearly half a million more people just laid off last month alone, there's a glut of applicants out there, and some darned desperate applicants. It's just a tough time to find a job, and the Government is no different right now.

Try my motto: Never give up, never give in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.