Northrop Grumman Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 157)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Northrop Grumman?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

Eugene Young in Marrero, Louisiana

90 months ago

No I have no idea what its like but I heard you would have to be on your P"S & Q'S .But I hope im ready if im chosen for the job I applied for .Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

para in Nottingham, Maryland

90 months ago

Host said: It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Northrop Grumman?

i'D BE very careful, ask lots of questions. they have been looking for a long time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nida Dallas Texas

89 months ago

I have interview for Sr. Accountant before and I do not like the Manager at all. He is looking for alomst 4 months and he hadn't find anyone yet. Or I guest people quit the job soon. I heard a lot of overtime for accounting at Northgroup.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ernie in San Diego, California

89 months ago

I "interviewed" for something in Rancho Bernardo CA. First off, I told the HR guy that I don't do job fairs, I like one-on-one interviews with folks I'll be working with. He said, it's not a job fair. Well when I got there (no mean feat as the instrustions were very unclear), it was a job fair and poorly run at that. Naturally, I let the HR guy know my dissatisfaction. Later on, I had the opportunity to let his boss know.

I did not get an offer, and frankly I think I got a vision into the clunky mechanics of a company who seems to not care much about its people. But then again, I don't know many big Aerospace companies who do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Winter Park, Florida

89 months ago

After you set conditions for the "interview" and expressed your dissatisfaction and further let his boss know you also expected to get hired. Let me guess, you are going to get the job you want your way or no way, or you are already retired and could care less if you get one. Do not bite the hand that feed you comes to mind.

Ernie said: I "interviewed" for something in Rancho Bernardo CA. First off, I told the HR guy that I don't do job fairs, I like one-on-one interviews with folks I'll be working with. He said, it's not a job fair. Well when I got there (no mean feat as the instrustions were very unclear), it was a job fair and poorly run at that. Naturally, I let the HR guy know my dissatisfaction. Later on, I had the opportunity to let his boss know.
I did not get an offer, and frankly I think I got a vision into the clunky mechanics of a company who seems to not care much about its people. But then again, I don't know many big Aerospace companies who do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in San Diego, California

89 months ago

what is LMD or LRI as pertaining to Scheduling?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shari in Washington, District of Columbia

88 months ago

I got a job offer from NG recently as a Software Engineer I. They came to my school for a career fair and I submitted my resume. The interview was ok. No real pressure (even though I was really nervous). There were more questions about what I had done and the projects I had worked on and a few technical questions. Be sure to talk a lot...sell yourself. I didn't take the offer and from what I'm hearing, I'm kinda glad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mr. Design Engr in Greenwood, Indiana

88 months ago

Hello, guys. I have always wanting to work for NG, but it seemed like there's no way that a live person can actually grab my resume, which I submitted online. The career fairs are always far from where I live (Indiana). Is there anyone here that knows how to send resume to a "live" person at NG? May be someone here has a business cards from engrs that they interviewed with at NG that has fax and email address on it. Please help.

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ernie in San Diego, California

88 months ago

There are no live people in NG, only a bunch of zombies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

An ex-zombie from Space Park in Palos Verdes Peninsula, California

88 months ago

Be careful, they make a lot of empty promises. A great company going nowhere due to their inept management. They have great products and great low level employees. A major corporation can not survive on the backs of low-level employees forever. The norm is 50-60 hour work weeks with 2-3 percent raise. While management works from home, runs other businesses and gives each other 7-10 percent raises. Go in with your eyes open!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

An ex-zombie from Space Park said: Be careful, they make a lot of empty promises. A great company going nowhere due to their inept management. They have great products and great low level employees. A major corporation can not survive on the backs of low-level employees forever. The norm is 50-60 hour work weeks with 2-3 percent raise. While management works from home, runs other businesses and gives each other 7-10 percent raises. Go in with your eyes open!

Thanks for your input. How did you apply for a position at NG? How is their Engineering Dept? Would you know of someone that I could send my email for considerations?

Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NG INTERVIEW in Nottingham, Maryland

87 months ago

I interviewed there. Between getting there and the 5 separate interviews I had, I spent half a day there. I feel so much better reading all these negative comments since I didn't get the job. All the meetings were exactly the same - let me tell you about the co., about the job, any questions......A waste of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Baltimore, Maryland

87 months ago

I worked there for two year at Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems in Linthicum Maryland (by BWI airport). I worked in program finance. I was in the PDP program right out of college where they only hire 3.8+ GPA and I thought it was going to be the best job ever. Lets just say, you don't get raises based on your hard work. 2-3% every 18 months if your lucky. The place is run by the old and unable. You have to be 35 years old to be a manager. Most people there wouldn't survive in another company because they forgot how to work. It really is a great company to work at if you like to sleep in meetings 6 hours a day and get nothing done and literally become outdated. The only thing you leave NG with is the name on your resume. You wont learn much there. The only good thing I took from that place was meeting my wife. After being gone for 2 years from NG, I can honestly say I'm glad I left when I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ricardo in Glendale, California

87 months ago

Kevin in Baltimore, Maryland said: Most people there wouldn't survive in another company because they forgot how to work. It really is a great company to work at if you like to sleep in meetings 6 hours a day and get nothing done and literally become outdated.

That certainly wasn't my experience in Southern California. You were considered lazy and unprofessional if you didn't work 50 or more hours a week every week, work through lunch every day, and work on Saturday or Sunday every week. (I was considered lazy and unprofessional because I worked my butt off for 40 hours every week, and extra when it WAS NECESSARY, but insisted on having a life outside of work. Oh yea, I ate my 42-minute lunch away from my desk, too.) From Kevin's description, the Northrop Grumman employees in Southern California would love to experience a little of the Lithicum work ethic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GABRIELLE

86 months ago

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING TO ABOUT THE NEWPORT NEWS LOCATION

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Arizona in Huachuca City, Arizona

86 months ago

Kim in Compton, California said: I have no idea why some of you think Northrop is such a bad company...

I am in disbelief reading all the negative remarks about Northrop Grumman Corporation (NGC). NGC is huge and represented in 48 of 50 states, not too mention overseas employment opportunities. It appears that majority of the negative feedback is from a remote location and not NGC as a whole.

I currently work for NGC in AZ (three years so far) and the business unit I work for (Defense Group) have caring, knowledgeable, and competent managers! Upper management of this business unit promotes, encourages, and supports self-growth of its employees! I hope all this negativity does not discourage potential, highly self-motivated, and qualified individuals from submitting their resumes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Manuel in Indianapolis, Indiana

86 months ago

Hi, Sandra. I really would like to work for NGC. I am a mechanical design engineer, and I have been trying to get an interview with NGC. Like you, I am really surprise about the negative feedback that ex-NGC employee leaves here. I know I do not work for NGC, and most of you out there would probably think that I do not know what I am talking about, but if I were an NGC employee, man, I bet you I would not let it go!!!

Btw, Sandra of AZ how did you get an interview with NGC? I have been applying online, and I know I have what it takes but it seems like nothing is happening.it has been 5 mos now since I started applying for a design engr position at NGC.

You are so lucky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Thank you for your thoughts. I will keep that in mind. Oh, I will keep you updated on my career search with an aerospace company. May your future career endeavor be an smooth sailing experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CM in Los Angeles, California

86 months ago

I have two siblings that have worked for Northrop Grumman for over 10 years and they both seem to like it, so I decided to apply for a position. I got an interview with them (thanks to my sister), but found out that I was quite underqualified for the position and was overwhelmed by the 6 interviewers. Unfortunately, I can only assume that I did not get the position because the interview didn't go well and I never heard back from them (it's been over a month). Isn't it common courtesy to at least send a letter of rejection?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

P.C. in Lawton, Oklahoma

86 months ago

Mr. Design Engr in Greenwood, Indiana said: Hello, guys. I have always wanting to work for NG, but it seemed like there's no way that a live person can actually grab my resume, which I submitted online. The career fairs are always far from where I live (Indiana). Is there anyone here that knows how to send resume to a "live" person at NG? May be someone here has a business cards from engrs that they interviewed with at NG that has fax and email address on it. Please help.

Thank you.

What are your qualifications?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

P.C. in Lawton, Oklahoma

86 months ago

Flood NG with resumes; It is split into several sectors and it takes a while for you or your qualifications to be fit on a contract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Fort Belvoir, Virginia

86 months ago

CM in Los Angeles, California said: I have two siblings that have worked for Northrop Grumman for over 10 years and they both seem to like it, so I decided to apply for a position. I got an interview with them (thanks to my sister), but found out that I was quite underqualified for the position and was overwhelmed by the 6 interviewers. Unfortunately, I can only assume that I did not get the position because the interview didn't go well and I never heard back from them (it's been over a month). Isn't it common courtesy to at least send a letter of rejection?

I went through 2 interviews with Northrop over the past 6 months a floor administrator and an Arabic Linguist position both located in Va. Even though the contract was not awarded to Northrop for the linguist position, I received a letter rescinding the offer. As well, I was contacted by phone on the floor administrator position that I didn't receive the job. I have applied at several companies but Northrop is the only company that contacted me regardless. I work for Computer Sciences Corporation and so far from what I read you company is a piece of cake. Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Tallahassee, Florida

85 months ago

Can anyone provide any feedback on NG-Ship Systems, specifically in Pascagoula, MS?
Thanks. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teddy in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

Ernie in San Diego, California said: There are no live people in NG, only a bunch of zombies.

NG people are just puting their hours
in...another BIG company that wastes
money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Norfolk, Virginia

84 months ago

And god forbid a hurricane comes through....
Lost my job due to cutbacks after Katrina. Some loyalty....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ZREX in King George, Virginia

82 months ago

The impression that I have after reading these posts is that there are a lot of people that got a little miffed at being turned down after they had applied or interviewed. Or, if they were (or are) an NGC employee, maybe they're not in a good business unit of NGC. Having said that though, since I am not an NGC employee (yet anyway), all I can do is suggest that NGC is no different than any other large business. They're bureaucratic, full of red tape and sometimes difficult to understand why it's so hard to change something that isn't working well. There's always that "we've always done it this way" mentality and fear of change. That's pretty much across the board in large companies like this. I'm currently with Lockheed-Martin and it's this way. I also work closely with employees from NGC, CSC, BAE, etc., and from what I gather from them, their experience is no different.

How to get an interview? The ONLY good way that I know of to land an interview (with any Defense company) is to know someone who can walk your resume through or at least get it into the hands of the right person. If you're already in the industry, this is relative easy to do because you likely have contacts. If not, then your goal should be to meet some through networking. LinkedIn.com and other Internet networking sites are helpful for that purpose. If you happen to live nearby, make it a point to hangout where employees are likely to be and strike up conversations (shoot a game of pool, but them lunch or a beer- be creative). If all your doing is submitting a resume or applying on the Internet to a job posting, keep in mind that the company gets thousands of responses and yours is the needle in the proverbial haystack. Not good odds there... You have to get your foot in the door some other way if you really want that job.

I'll make another post with my own experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ZREX in King George, Virginia

82 months ago

Continuing with my previous post, here is my experience. Since we're talking about a defense job, you'll find that the majority of employees come from a background in the Armed Forces. If you don't have that, you're already at a disadvantage unless your trying to land a job as an engineer, programmer, etc. For me, I happen to be a reservist. Like many of you, I had sent stacks of resumes to every company I could think of and got nothing. But one year, I requested to do my two weeks active duty at a location where I knew contractors were present in large numbers as instructors, lab techs, subject-matter experts, etc. I got the opportunity to show my stuff to them in person while working with them in the lab. That lead one of them to say "you know, we're hiring." I gave him my resume and his boss interviewed me the next day. I was then called in a month or so later (they flew me from Ga. to Va.) for a second interview and, instead of being offered one job, was offered my choice of two.

It hasn't always been enjoyable. Sometimes it s*cks. But the pay and benefits are good and the job is stable. For all their faults, they provide a critical need to this country and I get some satisfaction contributing to that. Once your in, it's relatively easy to transfer into another position. If your stuck getting 3% raises and don't like it, transfer and negotiate more money. That's what most do. 3-5% is pretty typical- everywhere! You really have to shine to get more. Most people don't shine.

Get out there and meet the people you want to work with. It's up to you to figure out how to do that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

professionallylost in California

81 months ago

Thanks for some of the comments...

I have a 3 different interviews with NG Socal in the next few days, looking for help on google as to what I can expect. Sounds like the typical time-waster interview at Lockheed Martin.

I was looking to get out of defense work, but I'm taking at least one last swing at it. Lockheed's not the end all, be all of everything. I'm wondering if the Northrop experience will be any better.

I'm guessing that NG's got alot of shared structure with Lockheed; some pockets don't do alot of work, and you have lifers there just collecting a paycheck. On the other hand, a number of other groups are getting destroyed by overwork.

In the end though, I would like to have a reasonable work-life balance, and I don't think that people should be blamed for that. People work to live, not live to work. ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

oh btw, it seems that in the defense industry, raises are typically not that big. On average, we get 1-2% raises...not even enough to cover inflation!

Lockheed's big excuse is that it has this pension. which they've now cut off and are no longer offering to new employees (so for the life of me, I don't know how they're going to attract and retain talent). Apparently, if you leave the company and come back, that former employee no longer gets to re-join it. they get the new, crappy 401-like plan being offered to new employees.

NG still has pension, so that's a bonus to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Here's the quick rundown of my interviews a few weeks ago:

1) I interviewed with a design group first. They do custom mods on humvees and the like (I forget the organization name they're tiered under, but basically they do design support for all of the armed forces).

This was mostly a sit and chat session. No technical questions to speak of. The people were really pleasant, but I wasn't doing much talking (good interviews are supposed to be the ones where the time split between the interviewer and the interviewee is roughly 50/50).

I wouldn't mind taking this job in Socal but it's right near Compton. -_-

2) I interviewed with NG Space Systems. This's the job I'm most interested in. Talked to the manager and about 4-5 more leads and employees within the group. Basic analysis philosphy is in line with mine, which is a big plus ("hand calcs first for a general impression, finite element models for fine-tuning work"). Most of the people are knowledgeable and friendly.

I was asked some basic structural questions by one person:

a) draw the shear and moment diagrams for a simple structure (indeterminate), and also draw its deflected shape. What is the degree of static indeterminacy?

b) Explain the behavior of a preloaded bolt joint

c) explain how I would mesh a plate with a hole in it. What is the stress concentration factor, and where is it located? How would I model it if I wanted to take advantage of symmetry?

That's about all I remember.

The guy who took me out to lunch was a real jerk. We order lunch, and he proceeds to try and grill me about my finite element models as I am trying to eat spaghetti.

Interviewer: How big were your models
me: Um, what do you mean? Megabyte size? Number of nodes/number of elements?
I: Well, you ask me? I am the one asking the question here.
me: okaaaay...
me: ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

His line of questioning becomes more and more aggressive as we got in his car and started heading back.

Finally, he says as we're about to enter the NG building:

I: "Is there anything you could possibly tell me that would make me excited about you?"
me: ... [wth?!]

Ordinarily I would've walked out right then and there, I've never heard anything so rude during an interview, but I humored him and just said nothing. I ignored him. He ignored me. Thankfully I only had to sit in his office for only a few minutes.

3) I lastly interviewed with the antenna group.
I didn't talk to much during this interview, it was more like the manager talking at a million miles an hour, trying to sell me on the job.

The people who work there seem to be awesome, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to hang with them. It sounds like a high pressure, high visibility job, and so you need to have your composites knowledge together (I haven't seen any of that stuff in almost a decade so that makes it harder).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GAMommie in Lawrenceville, Georgia

80 months ago

Kevin in Baltimore, Maryland said: I worked there for two year at Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems in Linthicum Maryland (by BWI airport). I worked in program finance. I was in the PDP program right out of college where they only hire 3.8+ GPA and I thought it was going to be the best job ever. Lets just say, you don't get raises based on your hard work. 2-3% every 18 months if your lucky. The place is run by the old and unable. You have to be 35 years old to be a manager. Most people there wouldn't survive in another company because they forgot how to work. It really is a great company to work at if you like to sleep in meetings 6 hours a day and get nothing done and literally become outdated. The only thing you leave NG with is the name on your resume. You wont learn much there. The only good thing I took from that place was meeting my wife. After being gone for 2 years from NG, I can honestly say I'm glad I left when I did.

I truely agree, with your comments. I also worked for Northrop in the Lithicum Office in HR for about a year. Most of the people there are old and very lazy. They are just waiting out their retirement..literally. Training is obsolete, and if you think that you can rely on others for assistance or help, they are just as clueless as you are, despite of them being employed with Northrop for over 15 years.

They are only good as a resume builder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TAUNJA in Smyrna, Georgia

79 months ago

Hi,
I applied at NG and a human resource recruiter contacted me by phone and setup an over the phone interview with one of the hiring managers. I interviewed with him two days later and a week later they flew me from ATL,GA to Newport News, VA (paying for my hotel, car rental and flight) for a second interview. what is the process after this? The recruiter said they would go over benefits and relocation assistance at this time,I have completed my application the HR Recruiter sent me and awiting to fly out on Jan. 6, 2008. I feel like I have the Mechanical Designer position, what do you think?

Wish me luck,

Taunja

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TAUNJA in Smyrna, Georgia

79 months ago

ZREX in King George, Virginia said: The impression that I have after reading these posts is that there are a lot of people that got a little miffed at being turned down after they had applied or interviewed. Or, if they were (or are) an NGC employee, maybe they're not in a good business unit of NGC. Having said that though, since I am not an NGC employee (yet anyway), all I can do is suggest that NGC is no different than any other large business. They're bureaucratic, full of red tape and sometimes difficult to understand why it's so hard to change something that isn't working well. There's always that "we've always done it this way" mentality and fear of change. That's pretty much across the board in large companies like this. I'm currently with Lockheed-Martin and it's this way. I also work closely with employees from NGC, CSC, BAE, etc., and from what I gather from them, their experience is no different.

How to get an interview? The ONLY good way that I know of to land an interview (with any Defense company) is to know someone who can walk your resume through or at least get it into the hands of the right person. If you're already in the industry, this is relative easy to do because you likely have contacts. If not, then your goal should be to meet some through networking. LinkedIn.com and other Internet networking sites are helpful for that purpose. If you happen to live nearby, make it a point to hangout where employees are likely to be and strike up conversations (shoot a game of pool, but them lunch or a beer- be creative). If all your doing is submitting a resume or applying on the Internet to a job posting, keep in mind that the company gets thousands of responses and yours is the needle in the proverbial haystack. Not good odds there... You have to get your foot in the door some other way if you really want that job.

I'll make another post with my own experience.

Hi,
I applied at NG and a human resource recruiter contacted me by p

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jadedea in Glendale, Arizona

74 months ago

i had applied for a cubic butt ton of jobs at NG i got a call one day from hr asking things like where i want to go in my career. they asked simple questions like if i want to relocate and a base salary. afterward i got a call from the hiring manager. he mostly talked about the purpose of the job. he read my resume and thought i was a fit. a few days later hr called and emailed me forms to fill out to be an employee. the only reason i dont have that job now was that they didnt win the contract, which was also stated in my emails as a possibility. another hr rep has emailed me (im in az looking for jobs on the east coast) asking questions about another job i applied for and i should get a call next week from a hiring manager. so far it took me 2 months i think of applying for jobs on NG to get a response back. the last month was trying to get hired.

73 months ago

That is very typical in NGC. They plan their hiring needs based upon many contracts that are not won yet. I had interviewed for two positions in two different states, and was hired at one. But was later told that they contact fell through. They do not have an efficient hiring system at all. All of their HR people are old and lazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

ok so here are some interesting facts that im posting on this thread and a few other on NGC because it applies to them too.

i applied for a position at ngc after the previous position i was "sort of" a shoe in fell through because the lost the contract. well i sat for 2 days and got an email from hr telling me to fill out the typical questions (i will post them if anyone wants to see it) so i did and emailed them back. they emailed me later that day and asked for a phone number (oops forgot to post that, but ahem, it IS on my resume) no biggie so i did that. about 6 days past and I got ancy so i called the hr's number (nicely provided on the email). i caught the hr off guard and ask if im still being considered for this position. she pulled my info up and started drilling on questions. the position (which doesnt have much info on it to begin with) appears to be atypical system administrator. they were very very adamant on having recent experience. unfortunately the last time i serviced a windows server was 2006, but i did perform other sys admin duties within the last two years. i managed to convince her that with my 8 years experience as a sysadmin in the military (some college) that im definitely a fit.

they threw a curve ball at me. i know they wont pay for relocation because i dont have a degree and im applying for mid/entry level positions. but they told me that the hiring manager wants to do a face 2 face interview. they asked if i was willing to fly out for an interview (im in az and the job is md). at first i was like hell no. if i want a job so bad on the east coast i would of moved there already! but my finances would run out quickly. so i said "eff it" yes i shouldnt have a problem flying out there. just so long as i get hired heheheh.

so now i wait. i went from "screen candidates" for a about 2 weeks to "hiring manager review". if you want it, call them, i plan to that for other positions im waiting for...

73 months ago

I certainly wouldn't hold my breath waiting on their response. I worked at the facility in MD, and they are very unorganized and inefficient. They are also very lean on the management side of the arena. Most of the HR staff, have retired or are close to retiring, therefore there is no formality in how new applicants are handled. NGC is operated by sectors, and each sector is responsible for their own HR processes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

mervin1975 in Sacramento, California

72 months ago

I have a interview with NG on Monday 11th for Software Engineer 1. I know you didn't take the job, but I am un-employed right now so I will take it if offered. If you can do me a favor and think about what was asked of you and let me know it would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

VA-37 in Cincinnati, Ohio

72 months ago

Host said: It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Northrop Grumman?

First NG is commonly referred to as Northrop Grummbag. Know going in that whatever you are going to get you are going to get walking in the first day and that is it. Nothing else is promised. Working hard is not the answer either. You have to match and pace the tempo of the group that you are working with, and the group must like you. At Northrop Grummbag it is easy to out perform almost anyone there and they will let you do that - its becomes less that they have to do. But you will not be rewarded for that. The annual performance review is a serious matter but it will only net you 2-3% annual raise. I even had a manager tell me "I gave you a 2.78% annual increase, thats .25 more than the guy closest to you."
However, if you do want to get ahead there is a path for that.... You have to master the art of passive / agressive behavior. You have to be able to fool a person into believing that you are for them while having no intent on doing anything for them. You have to prove that you can keep people focused and on the job while knowing that you are only there to use them up and then replace them. Another great technique is to talk in vague undefined terms. That way when someone has been led to believe that he/s is entitled to something, the manager can say, "I didn't say that." Much is spoken about and promised in undefined terms. This is powerful tool when properly used.
Remember that the people already there have relationships in place think that they were there first so have first dibbs on anything coming down from above. The relationships are extremely important to know.You have to know who is related to who, who owes their job to who, who is having sex with who.... Its a real roman senate that place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Reverbial in Richmond Hill, Georgia

72 months ago

VA-37 is absolutely right. NGC let me work harder than everyone else in the office and when I approached my supervisor about a raise, he said that my position did not require the use of my civilian education; only my military background and therefore did not allow room for any more money. In fact, his exact words were, don't expect to get that kind of money in your current position. I accepted another job with a different contractor who had no issues paying me 20k more than I was making at NGC. Oh, don't expect them to help you with relocation either. you may get a 5,000 signing bonus, which you will get after you've worked there for 2 weeks, which; oh by the way, will be taxed. You will only get about 2800 or 3000 of the 5k they "promised".
I couldn't wait to leave Northrop Grummbag

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

TAUNJA in Smyrna, Georgia said: Hi,
I applied at NG and a human resource recruiter contacted me by p

Did you ever get the job?

They did the same for me. Paid for my travel from MD to VA Beach to interview for a Recruitment position, but the contract fell through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

VA37 your dead on with your description of NGC. LOL@ Northrupgrumbag.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

VA-3:

While the whole comment sounds really cynical, sadly, I think most of our collective experiences in the defense industry are less than stellar, especially in regards to wage increases. It's the nature of business. "Stable" employment in exchange for bonuses that barely cover inflation. Only way to get anything above 1%-2% is to get promoted a salary grade, which happens once in a blue moon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Dear Professionally Lost In California,

There is something to be said for long term gainful employment. Like if you have children that you need to provide a stable environment for while raising them. You trade opportunity for stability. But the stability is false. During the 90s we saw thousands of people get laid off from what used to be an untouchable area of the workforce. The new mantra was hey we are not going to support cradle to grave employment anymore so you don't have to wear a shirt and tie just come in wearing jeans and a polo do your job and when its over - its over.
Now the companies task is to fool people into thinking that they can stay while getting the most out of them. If an employee thinks his time is temporary then he will by nature seek something more long term. Which means companies will see higher turn over and instability in being able to ship on time. Poor cash flow. Diminished reputation in industry, etc...
Good companies care about employees, they take great care in ensuring nepotism and cronism are at the lowest possible levels because they know that both of those things leads to bad management and hence bad company performance. The most honest companies are small companies where everything is transparent and people are rated more on what they bring to the table rather than on who's apple they are polishing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I couldn't agree more VA. I'm sorry your time at NGC wasn't so well. The times have changed.

I'm at a competing company, I just want to get the hell out of defense. Worst career choice ever for my personality, I realize.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cgh cgh in Port Orchard, Washington

72 months ago

I always make sure I want to screw over the US government. I like doing crappy welding and forcing the government to rework everything I do. I tell the managers I like the way they lie about their quality to everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

cgh cgh in Port Orchard, Washington said: I always make sure I want to screw over the US government. I like doing crappy welding and forcing the government to rework everything I do. I tell the managers I like the way they lie about their quality to everyone.

You moron. That government is your government. You are screwing over yourself and your government. Plus you are putting people into harms way with your less than acceptable welding jobs.

Me a man and do the best job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

well i posted earlier about a job in md, they decided, without telling me, to not ick me, so now i im no longer applying with ngc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.