How to get a job at Northrop Grumman.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 72)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Northrop Grumman? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Kate in College Park, Maryland

91 months ago

Yes, I work @ NG. I found the job online. 90% of the company is employee referrals. My friend submitted my resume to HR for me. Know someone within the company to submit it for you. =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

A M in San Diego, California

91 months ago

Referrals ? I can't even get a e-mail response from them.
As a minority who is a US citizen by birth and with advanced degrees; do you think I should even apply ? My colleagues who are leading scientists in some of the other large corporations says DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!
Any suggestion ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Kate

91 months ago

Yes! I work with all kinds of ethnicities!I love my job & company! I'm on the east coast though. Which location are you looking into?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mike wailes in Montrose, Colorado

90 months ago

Kate said: Yes, I work @ NG. I found the job online. 90% of the company is employee referrals. My friend submitted my resume to HR for me. Know someone within the company to submit it for you. =)

i applied for a job online, got a phone interview and waited. they finally said they did not have funding for the job. now the same job is back on the internet. is this normal? liked the job description and am very qualified for it, also they need several people and my qualifications are difficult to find, so i don't think it was that they didn't want me in particular, interview went very well in my opinion. would it help for someone within to put my resume in??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kate

90 months ago

Yeah, funding of positions or there funding happens a lot!!! Don't be discouraged. I know for a fact the Colorado office laid off a lot of people....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Compton, California

90 months ago

We really can't refer someone very easily at Northrop unless we know the hiring manager. I don't think anyone would be able to help you unless they worked at the division that you are looking into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wailes in Longmont, Colorado

89 months ago

Thanks for the reply. I am taking a different job for now, so maybe they will have funding someday. Just frustrating to see it advertized when it is not really a job. HR is wasting time for themselves and applicants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joya in Austin, Texas

89 months ago

Kate said: Yes! I work with all kinds of ethnicities!I love my job & company! I'm on the east coast though. Which location are you looking into?

I got an interview in Garland Texas for Process Engineer but I am not US citizen, do not have green card either. I have valid work permit & I do not need any sponsership. I can also get security clearance (it was the only requirement in the job description). My friend told me that they only hire US citizens, is that true?

For the interview, I have drive myself from Austin in my own expense. If they do not hire non-citizen, I do not waste my time. Should I go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Tam in Orlando, Florida

89 months ago

Kate said: Yeah, funding of positions or there funding happens a lot!!! Don't be discouraged. I know for a fact the Colorado office laid off a lot of people....

Colorado laid off. I'm hear in Melbourne, FL we had a few lay offs in November but I've heard another lay off is coming soon, just unsure when. What have you heard if anything for the Melbourne, FL site?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike wailes in Montrose, Colorado

89 months ago

interested in Arabic Linguist/middle east analyst positions in either CO or FL. Anyone have a contact i can use? they say they are paying the "refer a friend" money for these positions so that would be nice for someone. i am totally qualified, but just don't seem to find positions. doesn't have to be right away...i have a very good job....just want to relocate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mchael in san luis obispo ca in Acton, California

88 months ago

I'm looking to get a job intrveiw with northrop grumman, in the records department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shotgun in Alexandria, Virginia

87 months ago

I got laid off from Northrop and in Northern VA. Any one can get me a part-time job with Northrop?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lam Dinh in Broomfield, Colorado

86 months ago

Kate said: Yes! I work with all kinds of ethnicities!I love my job & company! I'm on the east coast though. Which location are you looking into?

I want to this job so bad, have already applied but got no response either. I wish I know someone in NC so that they can refer me to..
Finance/Business Management | Financial Analyst 3/4

poulami in San Diego, California

85 months ago

Hi Kate:

I want to apply for the financial analyst position. Can you please help me out. I am located at San Diego, CA. Can you give me your email and we can start talking. My email is: poulamis@gmail.com. I have an economics masters degree.

Thanks in advance.

Poulami.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RANJITH in Orlando, Florida

84 months ago

Hi Kate:

I recently graduated from University of Central Florida. I am looking for a job in semiconductor industry (mostly process engineer). Can you please forward my resume in NG...? (please mail me at ranjith2882@gmail.com)

Thanks in advance
Ranjith

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cnk in Glen Burnie, Maryland

80 months ago

Can anyone in Maryland help me to get my foot in the door with NG? I am just looking for a basic admin position, preferably in Annapolis or Annapolis Junction. I've been trying very hard but to no avail. I believe that I am a very well qualified candidate for an entry level admin position. I would be very grateful if someone could help me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jdh5484 in Jacksonville, Florida

78 months ago

I live in Jacksonville, Florida. I have 13 years of experience with a fortune 500 aerospace company in project, manufacturing and facility engineering (Prime contractor for the Navy). MBA in 2002. Economy forced me to shut down my business. I want to get on at NGC in St. Augustine as a contract engineer (6-9 months). Any suggestions or contacts ? Thanks in advance.

Andre Dufour in Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

I have a quick question. For a Network Engineer full-time employee position, would Northrup Grumman 100% require a 4-year degree? Would a contract position with them of this type also require a 4-year degree?

Thanks,
Andre

Jadedea in Glendale, Arizona

75 months ago

ok so here are some interesting facts that im posting on this thread and a few other on NGC because it applies to them too.

i applied for a position at ngc after the previous position i was "sort of" a shoe in fell through because the lost the contract. well i sat for 2 days and got an email from hr telling me to fill out the typical questions (i will post them if anyone wants to see it) so i did and emailed them back. they emailed me later that day and asked for a phone number (oops forgot to post that, but ahem, it IS on my resume) no biggie so i did that. about 6 days past and I got ancy so i called the hr's number (nicely provided on the email). i caught the hr off guard and ask if im still being considered for this position. she pulled my info up and started drilling on questions. the position (which doesnt have much info on it to begin with) appears to be atypical system administrator. they were very very adamant on having recent experience. unfortunately the last time i serviced a windows server was 2006, but i did perform other sys admin duties within the last two years. i managed to convince her that with my 8 years experience as a sysadmin in the military (some college) that im definitely a fit.

they threw a curve ball at me. i know they wont pay for relocation because i dont have a degree and im applying for mid/entry level positions. but they told me that the hiring manager wants to do a face 2 face interview. they asked if i was willing to fly out for an interview (im in az and the job is md). at first i was like hell no. if i want a job so bad on the east coast i would of moved there already! but my finances would run out quickly. so i said "eff it" yes i shouldnt have a problem flying out there. just so long as i get hired heheheh.

so now i wait. i went from "screen candidates" for a about 2 weeks to "hiring manager review". if you want it, call them, i plan to that for other positions im waiting for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

M in Hampton, Virginia

75 months ago

I've applied online for three administrative assistant jobs and all three are still sitting in the Candidate Pool. If anyone in the Newport News/Hampton area could help me out with a referral, that'd be terrific. I have a resume I can send and over ten years' office management experience. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

hmm go to there website where they list there office locations. i think they have an office in the va area and some phone number listings. you should be able to talk to one of the recruiters. if not i think they have a recruiters email or something.

Anonymous in Vienna, Virginia

74 months ago

You HAVE to know someone who can get your resume into the right hands. Applying by internet will get you nowhere unless they do not have anyone in mind already for the position. Try to network in areas that NGC people frequently go to. It's very to get a job here in VA.

74 months ago

Anonymous in Vienna, Virginia said: You HAVE to know someone who can get your resume into the right hands. Applying by internet will get you nowhere unless they do not have anyone in mind already for the position. Try to network in areas that NGC people frequently go to. It's very to get a job here in VA.

**it's very easy to get a job here in va.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

its very easy to get a job in va, if you already live there....im in az, know anyone???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

M in Hampton, Virginia

74 months ago

I live in VA and have submitted three resumes to NG. No callbacks on any. They are all three in the "candidate pool" still, from two months ago! I applied for admin. type positions, so it might be easy for the shipbuilding people in VA but not for me! :(

74 months ago

hey M long time no see, still no success yet?

M in Hampton, Virginia

74 months ago

Jadedea in Glendale, Arizona said: hey M long time no see, still no success yet?

Nope.. nothing yet. Like I mentioned a while back, I was SO close to getting the Lockheed job but they pulled the position completely at the last minute. I have submitted resumes to Jacobs, MITRE, BAE Systems, LM, and NG but nothing yet. My resume must be sitting in their black holes..

74 months ago

M in Hampton, Virginia said: Nope.. nothing yet. Like I mentioned a while back, I was SO close to getting the Lockheed job but they pulled the position completely at the last minute. I have submitted resumes to Jacobs, MITRE, BAE Systems, LM, and NG but nothing yet. My resume must be sitting in their black holes..

You really have to know someone or else they will most likely ignore your resume. 95% of the time they already have someone in mind for an upcoming listing (co-workers children, temp, friend, relative). I have not completed my degree yet but I got offered a position only because I knew a few people working there already. Don't give up. Try to meet someone that already works there, especially someone who already works in the department you're looking into. A lot of listings have a "refer a friend" option, so it's beneficial for both parties.

M in Hampton, Virginia

74 months ago

Yep..Lockheed is the only co. I know someone in. He has referred me and even let me use his log in to see all of the local jobs available. Unfortunately right now there's nothing open in my field, but at least I have easy access to their careers database when it does. I will keep plugging along with that and other private sector jobs for now..

74 months ago

M can you see if any IT jobs are available in the DC metro or VA area?

Devon Goldsmith in Alexandria, Virginia

73 months ago

I applied for the position of Help Desk Implementation 1/2 and my resume was referred to the hiring manager the same day. I even got an email requesting my salary requirements, what is the usual wait time from receiving a call from the hiring manager?

GP17 in Middletown, Rhode Island

73 months ago

I have to be honest. I interviewed in early June, and throughout the whole process I was kept up to date on a weekly basis. I did most of the leg work as far as making weekly contacts as far as checking on the hiring process, but the person I was dealing with was very cordial and informative.

I started AUG 18th and it was well worth the wait. I think they were waiting to finish the fiscal quarter, and remember even though it is a publicly traded corporation, NG still operates on the Govt dime and word. Govt has different fiscal year.

Be forward without being desperate and think of unusual way to make yourself stand out at this time ( in a positive way).

In a company that has 125,000 employees I've never felt like a number since Ive been there. That has something to say for the people I work with and for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Amateur User in Rapid City, South Dakota

71 months ago

The careers website on NGC say "..most jobs require US citizensip, blah, blah, blah.." are there any engineering positions that do NOT require that flag?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hugo Rodrigues in Brussels, Belgium

69 months ago

Kate in College Park, Maryland said: Yes, I work @ NG. I found the job online. 90% of the company is employee referrals. My friend submitted my resume to HR for me. Know someone within the company to submit it for you. =)

Kate... For what I read on the forum it's hard to conclude about the lifestyle on the company. Like Europe, being happy mostly relies on what you can do with your private life, salary, what kind of work you are performing and if you have a good boss.

I am a Portuguese mechanical engineering with 24 years old, actually performing a diploma course on Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics in Brussels. At the moment I have in hands a PhD in TU Delft (Netherlands) but I'm tempted in applying to Northrop Grumman or Lockheed. As you might see is a big step on my life and I need some opinions...

1 - Foreign people are easily accepted on defense contractors like Northrop Grummanor Lockheed? I mean, they take more in account your personal profile, skills and qualifications than your nationality?

2 - PhD needs high wages to be maintained in a enterprise. For what you have seen there, which kind of personnel this company is looking for?

PhD personnel?
People who got there skills by experience on other companies?
Or people who have a good background and wants to start and grow on this company?
This might vary on the area or in the job assignment but I'm thinking in applying to military and space missions.

3 - If I apply they will cover all my expenses? I heard that LA is expensive but it should be visit at least once in life.

I will be grateful for a opinion. Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Shago in New York, New York

63 months ago

Kim in Compton, California said: We really can't refer someone very easily at Northrop unless we know the hiring manager. I don't think anyone would be able to help you unless they worked at the division that you are looking into.

I interviewed over a month ago for a Network Engineer 2 position and the hiring manager seemed to really like me and my resume. My interview was so relaxed and more like a forum discussion between me and his peers. My question is when I go to the NGC website to check my status it still states "Interview" even after a entire month and I haven't heard anything from the recruiter. Has any one ever experienced this??? What is the status of a person that was selected on the website?? Can anyone give me advice??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JohnDoeD in Somewhere, Maryland

63 months ago

Shago in New York, New York said: I interviewed over a month ago for a Network Engineer 2 position and the hiring manager seemed to really like me and my resume. My interview was so relaxed and more like a forum discussion between me and his peers. My question is when I go to the NGC website to check my status it still states "Interview" even after a entire month and I haven't heard anything from the recruiter. Has any one ever experienced this??? What is the status of a person that was selected on the website?? Can anyone give me advice??

From my experience, my status changed from "Interview" to blank before I was offered a job a week later. Other times when I didn't get offered the job, it went from "Interview" to "Not Selected". I think you are still in the running but they are probably still interviewing other candidates before making their final decision. Hope this helps!

63 months ago

Thanks, I feel a bit better.

63 months ago

So how did your offer come in? Did you get a email,phone call or Fedex?

JohnDoeD in Somewhere, Maryland

63 months ago

Shago in New York, New York said: So how did your offer come in? Did you get a email,phone call or Fedex?

I received a phone call.

teke956 in Fairmont, West Virginia

60 months ago

my status went blank last Saturday.. Should I just wait for a call or call them?

60 months ago

That usually means you got the job. You should recieve an offer.

tely1 in Baltimore, Maryland

60 months ago

Wonder if I could get input on this. I interviewed yesterday with NG for a technician position. I feel that the interview went really well, was given a tour of the facility, was explained exactly how everything worked at the company and was left with an overall feeling that the hiring manager wanted me to work there. After meeting with him I was taken to an HR representative for a secondary "interview" which was more along the lines of her explaining benefits, schedules, vacation days and sick days etc. Again...felt that was a good sign. I was told that if an offer was extended I would hear from them in 48hrs or less. My status on the website is still listed as 'interview' and I'm really getting anxious since tomorrow will be the 48hr period. Does anyone have experience with this? Did they wait a full 48 before making an offer? Did I misread the interview? I'm hoping that the offer process takes sometime since salary is based on experience.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David Steinbach in Maynard, Massachusetts

59 months ago

HOW TO best apply for a job at Northrop Grumman (and probably other large defense contractors)
-
Good morning,

If I were asked my opinion as how to accomplish this, I would provide the following:

To better help your application for employment, please create your Profile on our careers website (link below).

It is best for you if you create a current, robust and comprehensive Profile, and in addition to "cutting and pasting" your resume, also attach it as a Word document. The Word document enables higher quality presentation of your CV/Resume to management.

Once that is done, search for any and all relevant job openings and apply to them. Every application is supposed to be reviewed by a human being.

By doing the above, it will greatly facilitate the process, and also make you more searchable throughout the Northrop Grumman system

Thank you very much for your time and attention to this, and best of luck to you in your career endeavors.

Sincerely,
Dave Steinbach
LinkedIn (send invite): www.linkedin.com/in/dsteinbach

David Steinbach, CPC
Human Resource Staffing Specialist
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems - AOA
Ten Wilson Road
Cambridge, MA 02138

GOOGLE VOICE
781 AND 331 AND 0789
david.steinbach@ngc.com
www.northropgrumman.com

NOT in the Northrop Grumman employment system yet? Please go to this link and create your Profile, and good luck to you!

Careers: careers.northropgrumman.com/ExternalHorizonsWeb/getQuery.do

Company Brochure: www.as.northropgrumman.com/businessventures/aoa/assets/AOA_brochure_1008.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

btl1986 in San Diego, California

59 months ago

Hi everyone,

I recently had an interview with a NG hiring manager for a Systems Engineer position at NG Information Systems (San Diego). I was wondering how long it should take for them to get back to me. I think that the interview went well because the manager was impressed with my background, asked me to send my projects to him and asked if I had any other offers yet. I have thanked the manager for interviewing me, expressed interest in working for NG and sent my projects to him. I also applied for a different position at NGIS and it has been at "Hiring Manager Review" for a couple months now. Any opinions or thoughts about either of these situations would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks again,

btl1986

tely1 in Baltimore, Maryland

59 months ago

btl1986 in San Diego, California said: Hi everyone,

I recently had an interview with a NG hiring manager for a Systems Engineer position at NG Information Systems (San Diego). I was wondering how long it should take for them to get back to me. I think that the interview went well because the manager was impressed with my background, asked me to send my projects to him and asked if I had any other offers yet. I have thanked the manager for interviewing me, expressed interest in working for NG and sent my projects to him. I also applied for a different position at NGIS and it has been at "Hiring Manager Review" for a couple months now. Any opinions or thoughts about either of these situations would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks again,

btl1986

I received an offer 48 hours after the interview.

bearcat68 in Alexandria, Virginia

59 months ago

My status "went blank" as well (5 weeks after the interview and no contact, but that's another story...) and I received a very nice offer over the phone less than 24 hours later. Given that this has been the same story from several people on this board, I have to assume that perhaps when your status goes blank, hold tight; you're about to get a phone call.

teke956 in Fairmont, West Virginia

59 months ago

Oh my status went blank but i never got a call... instead a few weeks ago i got an email that said the job had been canceled and i would receive notice if it came back into active status...yea thats NGC for pulling me along since June.

memshooter

58 months ago

Someone please explain what happened here. I applied for a local job with NGC. Status went to interview in about a week. Now 3-4 weeks later it changed to not selected. I was expecting an interview.

What happened or how can I find out?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

geekgirl in Washington, District of Columbia

58 months ago

NG seems to be really weird with their hiring. There is a position that has repeatedly shown up on their jobs site (same title, same description as they list the client) that fits me to a "T." I'm not just saying that -- it's one of those strange times where it's like they actually wrote the position for ME!

Anyway, I've applied each time it's come up. The first time I listed an employee as a referral (for some reason she couldn't directly refer me as I believe she worked in recruiting for another division... conflict of interest or something). Rejected. Applied again a few months later when it popped back up in the system. Rejected within one day. It's insanely frustrating, because I know I am MORE than qualified for this position and they won't even give me a chance!

This time around, I'm revising my resume with key words listed in the description. I can only hope that this time I'll get further than "Candidate Pool" before they immediately hit the reject button.

I did actually an interview for another position (very similar to the one I just mentioned). No employee referral, just applied via the site and a recruiter contacted me. I had a quick interview and they offered me the position, but I ended up turning it down because a) the salary was what I'm currently making (I suspect they wanted someone more junior, because they were unwilling to negotiate) and b) were relocating offices further than I could commute to.

So... very strange. Can't even get my resume to a real hiring manager for a position I'm qualified for, and yet I can get a job offer within hours for a completely different spot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.