Incompetent Recruiters - any similar experiences?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Highly Skilled in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

91 months ago

I recently had some very strange dealings with Northrup Grumman (Xetron) in Cincinnati. They are trying to fill an INFOSEC role that requires a high degree of skill and experience along with the highest clearances to boot.

After several email exchanges and phone conversations with a contract recruiter (not even an NG employee), it became very clear that these guys didn't understand the protocol. They bumbled along and eventually ticked me off to the point where I told them off. Working INFOSEC is spooky enough. At least they should have recruiters that understand the sensitivities.

Anyone else encounter incompetent recruiters at Northrup Grumman?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Compton, California

91 months ago

I've just dealt with the normal HR people who don't really understand the technical parts of the job. That happens at almost every company though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Big V in San Jose, California

89 months ago

Yes. I just started a new string. They called my husband wanting to schedule a phone interview, left no contact information, and never called him back. Do you know who we might contact to try to figure out what's going on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Beware of Northrup Grumman in Madison, Wisconsin

89 months ago

Like most of the big US defense contractors, Northrup Grumman has lots of staff RIP (retired in place). There isn't much we can do about it, really no accountability either. No one to contact, no one who cares. Maybe that is why Uncle Sam is starting to send the work over seas (where did the new contract go for Marine One?).

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bud in Glen Burnie, Maryland

89 months ago

Yes...NG recruiters do not seem interested in filling positions. They don't return emails or phone calls. I wonder how this company puts up with this

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

John Doe (NG employee of 8 yrs) in Bethpage, New York

88 months ago

Highly Skilled in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: I recently had some very strange dealings with Northrup Grumman (Xetron) in Cincinnati. They are trying to fill an INFOSEC role that requires a high degree of skill and experience along with the highest clearances to boot.

After several email exchanges and phone conversations with a contract recruiter (not even an NG employee), it became very clear that these guys didn't understand the protocol. They bumbled along and eventually ticked me off to the point where I told them off. Working INFOSEC is spooky enough. At least they should have recruiters that understand the sensitivities.

Good thing you didn't get the job, you can't even spell the company name correctly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Doe, employee of 10 years in Bethpage, New York

88 months ago

Northrop Grumman only hires the best of the best. Does that tell you why you didn't get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Big V in Decatur, Indiana

88 months ago

Dear Ms. Doe:

Although I'm not the original poster for this thread, I have to disagree with your statement. Northrop was actually quite interested in my husband, whose credentials were spot on for the job. It's just that the recruiter FORGOT to forward his info to the hiring mananger, who then took a couple weeks to call hubby. Manager says he wants to schedule an in-person interview, and hubby gets a call a week later from a coordinator who says "you'll have your interview in a month". Obviously, in the meanwhile, my very well-qualified husband took a job somewhere else.

Yes, hubby COULD have waited for Northrop because he was already employed, but he just didn't get the feeling that Northrop would really treat him very well just based on the way he was made such a low priority during the interview process.

Although Northrop has a very good reputation as an employer, and I recommended that hubby wait for them, they are really shooting themselves in the foot by treating prospective employees as if they were a bunch of no-talent hacks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Once a NG'er... in Bellevue, Nebraska

87 months ago

Kim in Compton, California said: I've just dealt with the normal HR people who don't really understand the technical parts of the job. That happens at almost every company though.

Dear Kim,

I found the same. when I was laid off, the HR person was to "help me find another job". She kept suggesting object oriented coding jobs in Denver. I don't do coding, my resume doesn't even mention that. However I strongly feel that HR people are trained by the book in HR and don't understand the technical aspects of the jobs they are trying to match. I myself would look at a former employee in that area of expertise (e.g., IT) and hire them as the HR recruiter. Someone that, from the inside understands the needs and requirements of the various positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Whiting, Indiana

87 months ago

FYI: NorthrOp Grumman is spelled with an "O" not a "U".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

donna c in Levittown, New York

87 months ago

Does ng in bethpage, Long Island still have any military planes flying in there? I know that they had 2 or 3 active airstrips when it was run by Grumman many yrs ago. I heard that it only is used now for helicopters for the Nassau County police department. Any info would be appreciated.
Donna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Employee in Dayton, Ohio

87 months ago

Highly Skilled in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: I recently had some very strange dealings with Northrup Grumman (Xetron) in Cincinnati. They are trying to fill an INFOSEC role that requires a high degree of skill and experience along with the highest clearances to boot.

That office has had the same openings listed for years. I know several people who have interviewed there and they are looking for cheaper, younger people they can teach, not really experienced people. Personally, I think the problem is Xetron, not really NG.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Not looking for big companies in San Diego, California

87 months ago

Once a NG'er... in Bellevue, Nebraska said: Dear Kim,

I found the same. when I was laid off, the HR person was to "help me find another job". She kept suggesting object oriented coding jobs in Denver. I don't do coding, my resume doesn't even mention that. However I strongly feel that HR people are trained by the book in HR and don't understand the technical aspects of the jobs they are trying to match. I myself would look at a former employee in that area of expertise (e.g., IT) and hire them as the HR recruiter. Someone that, from the inside understands the needs and requirements of the various positions.

Why would an experience IT profession want to work for HR??? They are bunch of losers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JJJ in Harbor City, California

87 months ago

Jane Doe, employee of 10 years in Bethpage, New York said: Northrop Grumman only hires the best of the best. Does that tell you why you didn't get a job?

really? i do not agree, i have been there. You should be there, most are caucasians

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

VA-37 in Cincinnati, Ohio

75 months ago

Northrop Grumman Bethpage (formerly Grumman (nickname Grumman Iron Works))is no longer the manufacturer of aircraft that it use to be. You will remember that in the 90's Northrop purchased Grumman. It was not a merger. Northrop purchased Grumman and sought to keep the good will associated with the Grumman brand and the US Navy so Northrop changed its name to Northrop Grumman.

Northrop always wanted to shut down the Grumman headquarters in Bethpage Long Island. However, never ending personnel changes made it a one day you in vouge and the next day you're not type of environment until before you know it our guys in charge and we're still around.

However, it is a shadow of its former self. Gone, and gone forever are the days of manufacturing airplanes. The last aircraft - the E-2C/D is now fully assembled in St. Augustine Florida and then sold off to the Gov't from that same site.

What is left in Bethpage is some contracts and pricing, some procurement jobs, and some engineering jobs, maybe some R&D jobs.

Everything else is gone. Anything that would be production or produced would be transferred out of the area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MA in Lithonia, Georgia

75 months ago

I was recruited by NG way back in April while living in another city. I think they picked my resume up on Monster. I was relocating back to Atlanta in late-June or early July and started my search early. First the recruiter was very confused about my locale despite repeated phone calls and emails. I even sent the requested softcopy resume with cover letter outlining my situation and timeline. He then called back and told me to be on stand-by for a fly-in the following Monday or Tuesday. I'm a contractor, so I blocked out the time with my current gig and told him I'd wait for his call. Three weeks later I get an "are you in Atlanta yet for a local interview" call. Well, no, it's the first week in May. He then says they are pretty desperate, can I move up my arrival date? No, contractor here, I consider bailing early unethical. He then tells me he's set up a phone interview with the client hiring manager for two days later and will send me an email with the exact time and some HR documents. About a week later he calls after 8 at night, apologizes and says she was too busy, but he'll reschedule. Another month goes by (during which time I do move to Atlanta) and he calls to see if I'm available for a same day or early the following morning interview and seemed very put off that I was in the middle of a short-term contract and not available without more notice.

"I thought you just moved here, how could you already have something?"

It's been two months, guy, I certainly wasn't putting everything else on hold on a maybe and a handful of sketchy communications. The same job is still open, or so it would seem from online searches, but I'm no longer interested. I've gone through similar with other big consulting firms and chalk it up to contract recruiters (he admitted he wasn't a NG employee). It's about volume with those folks; they are called headhunters for a reason and are paid accordingly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

AKE in Hendersonville, North Carolina

27 months ago

Jane Doe, employee of 10 years in Bethpage, New York said: Northrop Grumman only hires the best of the best. Does that tell you why you didn't get a job?

Xetron hires smart people who don't look carefully at the way the company treats its employees. Not getting hired was a good thing.
Count your blessings!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T-Rex7 in Montgomery, Alabama

20 months ago

Bud in Glen Burnie, Maryland said: Yes...NG recruiters do not seem interested in filling positions. They don't return emails or phone calls. I wonder how this company puts up with this

- I ran into the same issue, on several ocassions, the recruiter would contact me, sent me questionnaires to fill and send back which I did. I would wait a week or longer, when I get no reply I then write back to see if someone had received what I sent and asked if it was received and if there is anything else I could provide. No reply, no calls, nothing!! And this has happened through several different recruiters. I think this is bad business practice and rather poor communication etiquette. It makes you wonder, do I really want to work for this company? Afterall, the recruiter is like an embassador to the company, the first person you come in contact with who represent the company. Piss poor in my book. The upper management needs to address this issue. Recruiters seem to act like, people looking for a job have no choice but to deal with their lack of sense and fair treatment of any kind because simply, the jobb seeker must suck it up because they want the job. But, in reality, the job seeker could very well seek for job else where and that is a strong potential that the company could lose a great candidate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

AGEISM/DISABILITY in California

7 months ago

PISS POOR!!!
AMATEUR LAND!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.