How to get a response.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 58)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Jay in SLC in Denver, Colorado

88 months ago

I've sent at least 100 online applications to Northrup. I have yet to get a response. What does it take?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Compton, California

88 months ago

You really have to know someone. Sadly... it's pretty hard to get through by going online only. I would suggest finding a local job fair. Impress the recruiter and you'll get a callback. Otherwise, it's pretty pointless applying online only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

New Hire in Manassas, Virginia

88 months ago

I submitted my resume online and got a call within days of submission. I don't think you need to know anyone, you just need to have the necessary skills set they need for the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Oren in Washington, District of Columbia

87 months ago

john in Reston, Virginia said: First of all, spell their name correctly.

I agree. When I worked at Northrop Grumman, I interviewed a few candidates for an open position we had, and was amazed how many people wouldn't pay attention to simple details like that. We even had one NG employee whose resume listed his current employer as "Northrup Grumman".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BA in Waveland, Mississippi

86 months ago

Sorry, but job fairs aren't the way to go either. I've seen NG set up at a few local job fairs and they just push you to the website. They will "reluctantly" take a resume, but you better be pretty forceful about it. Talking with a human is next to impossible and I'm a former NG employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bee in Bethpage, New York

86 months ago

Kim in Compton, California said: You really have to know someone. Sadly... it's pretty hard to get through by going online only. I would suggest finding a local job fair. Impress the recruiter and you'll get a callback. Otherwise, it's pretty pointless applying online only.

Thanks for the info Kim ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SF in Palos Verdes Peninsula, California

86 months ago

I've found that it is much easier to come in as a contractor and than transition to full employee status from the inside. For me all, I did was apply for a position on another website and I was contacted by TASC Technical services who outsourced me to Northrop for the job I applied for. After you do your contract time which is often a screening process in and of itself, than you will have developed the contacts and skills to easily be hired on in a full capacity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

oldbastid in Oakland, California

86 months ago

Jay in SLC in Denver, Colorado said: I've sent at least 100 online applications to Northrup. I have yet to get a response. What does it take?

I worked at N. G. for 3.5 years, you should count your blessings son.172

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

John Doe (NG employee of 8 yrs) in Bethpage, New York

85 months ago

Thank you for making that comment. I have been reading all these emails about Northrop on this site and am amazed at how many people spell the company name incorrectly. Geez, maybe that's why they aren't getting at job...news flash, you have to spell AND SAY the name correctly if you want to even be considered for the job...doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Johnny Doe in Silver Spring, Maryland

85 months ago

Northrop does not like to take resumes at job fairs due to new government regulations on what exactly "applicants" are. They have to be able to track all resumes and is very hard to do at job fairs, that is why you are pointed to a website. This also effects all defense contractors as well.

Here's a suggestion, apply to positions that you qualify for. When you apply to a 100+ positions, they likely hood that you will be contacted becomes very slim, with any company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Once a NG'er... in Bellevue, Nebraska

85 months ago

Amen! I worked for NG for 5 years, the government facility has an office clearly marked "Northrup Grumman". I find it amusing it still stands.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Graphic Artist in Duluth, Georgia

83 months ago

Hello I am a graphic designer and currently a web design student at the art institute of Atlanta. I've been applying for design positions with Northrop Grumman for a while now but it seem as if once i submit my resume online it goes into a big black hole never been viewed. Does anyone know what is the best way to get in? Does anyone know a recruiter or even an employee that works for them that could possibly refer me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Art of Defense in SF Bay area, California

83 months ago

Come in as a contractor/temp help and maybe then transfer in as a fulltime employee.....

Art of Defense in SF Bay area, California

83 months ago

I can tell you that many divisions at Northrop keep a small specialized staff. Very hard to get in fulltime until someone either retires, leaves, dies, or a special requirement arises or program is won which requires adding more help. They also use temp/contract help which makes getting a fulltime job with them even harder. If you can, try comming in as a Temp or contracter and see if you even like working for a defense contractor doing graphic design.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Corey Makarczyk in Alexandria, Virginia

81 months ago

I currently work for Navstar, Inc in the DC area and we are an IT consulting firm and we have been staffing for Northrop for nearly 7 years. If you are still looking to get into Northrop may I suggest using Navstar or any other IT consulting company.I can send you some information about our company as well.

professionallylost in California

80 months ago

Why on earth would you go to work for NG to do graphic design? lol.

It's true that you can do that (they probably have small group just like my company), but don't you want to work at someplace else more exciting that's a bit more involved with graphic design?

Graphic Artist in Duluth, Georgia said: Hello I am a graphic designer and currently a web design student at the art institute of Atlanta. I've been applying for design positions with Northrop Grumman for a while now but it seem as if once i submit my resume online it goes into a big black hole never been viewed. Does anyone know what is the best way to get in? Does anyone know a recruiter or even an employee that works for them that could possibly refer me?

Rblaster in Schenectady, New York

80 months ago

professionallylost in California said: Why on earth would you go to work for NG to do graphic design? lol.

It's true that you can do that (they probably have small group just like my company), but don't you want to work at someplace else more exciting that's a bit more involved with graphic design?

when u say grahic design do u mean like cad? if u want to send me ur resume and ill send it in, the personal rep told me that i can refer people my email is 01845221@hvcc.edu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nufan in Silver Spring, Maryland

80 months ago

I got an internship with NG through my school. I don't know why people are saying job fairs are bad. Only applying online probably won't get you far. Definitely go meet with people at the fairs. I'll be graduating soon, and NG offered to extend my internship until I found a permanant position somewhere else if they were unable to create one for me. Any issues people have with the company are the types of issues you will find anywhere.

Remember they can't just say, hey lets hire some people. If you work here or anywhere you'll constantly be hearing the term "business need" and thats exactly what they go by. If there is a need, they will create it, if not, they wont. GL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

skipjack in Onancock, Virginia

80 months ago

Hi, like the original poster, I have applied online with NG and I'm concerned that no human being is looking at my resume. Would you be willing to forward my resume? I'm applying for a vacant position in Wallops Island, VA. I'm sure I have the right job skills, but my experience is in a different field and I'm afraid I will be overlooked unless I can get an interview. If you can help me in any way I would sure appreciate it. -Jerry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

cnk in Glen Burnie, Maryland

78 months ago

I have been trying to get a basic admin position within Northrop Grumman for close to five months now. I have applied directly through their website, and also know someone who works there; he submitted my resume to HR directly for me. Unfortunately, he can't really pull strings and keep nagging the HR department about my resume. I have always been told that NG is a great company and I would love to get my foot in the door with them, but how long does it take before you hear a response? I have a Public Trust clearance through my old company, 7 years of admin experience, and a BA in English. I know that I am a perfect candidate for the basic admin positions that they have been posting, but I never get a call. Same story goes for everything else I've applied for since being unemployed since September of last year... the reason I would like to work there so much is because I know I will have opportunity to move up and become something more than an admin assistant. I'm starting to feel, that in spite of my qualifications, I'm doomed to a very low-paying admin job for the rest of my life...

mfgengineer in Saint Peters, Missouri

75 months ago

If you apply for a position on the NG website and it moves from candidate pool to review by hiring manager, is that common for most resumes or does that mean you have a chance of being contacted?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jadedea in Glendale, Arizona

73 months ago

mfgengineer in Saint Peters, Missouri said: If you apply for a position on the NG website and it moves from candidate pool to review by hiring manager, is that common for most resumes or does that mean you have a chance of being contacted?

you have a chance to be contacted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

ok so here are some interesting facts that im posting on this thread and a few other on NGC because it applies to them too.

i applied for a position at ngc after the previous position i was "sort of" a shoe in fell through because the lost the contract. well i sat for 2 days and got an email from hr telling me to fill out the typical questions (i will post them if anyone wants to see it) so i did and emailed them back. they emailed me later that day and asked for a phone number (oops forgot to post that, but ahem, it IS on my resume) no biggie so i did that. about 6 days past and I got ancy so i called the hr's number (nicely provided on the email). i caught the hr off guard and ask if im still being considered for this position. she pulled my info up and started drilling on questions. the position (which doesnt have much info on it to begin with) appears to be atypical system administrator. they were very very adamant on having recent experience. unfortunately the last time i serviced a windows server was 2006, but i did perform other sys admin duties within the last two years. i managed to convince her that with my 8 years experience as a sysadmin in the military (some college) that im definitely a fit.

they threw a curve ball at me. i know they wont pay for relocation because i dont have a degree and im applying for mid/entry level positions. but they told me that the hiring manager wants to do a face 2 face interview. they asked if i was willing to fly out for an interview (im in az and the job is md). at first i was like hell no. if i want a job so bad on the east coast i would of moved there already! but my finances would run out quickly. so i said "eff it" yes i shouldnt have a problem flying out there. just so long as i get hired heheheh.

so now i wait. i went from "screen candidates" for a about 2 weeks to "hiring manager review". if you want it, call them, i plan to that for other positions im waiting for....

M in Hampton, Virginia

73 months ago

cnk in Glen Burnie, Maryland said: I have been trying to get a basic admin position within Northrop Grumman for close to five months now. I have applied directly through their website, and also know someone who works there; he submitted my resume to HR directly for me. Unfortunately, he can't really pull strings and keep nagging the HR department about my resume. I have always been told that NG is a great company and I would love to get my foot in the door with them, but how long does it take before you hear a response? I have a Public Trust clearance through my old company, 7 years of admin experience, and a BA in English. I know that I am a perfect candidate for the basic admin positions that they have been posting, but I never get a call. Same story goes for everything else I've applied for since being unemployed since September of last year... the reason I would like to work there so much is because I know I will have opportunity to move up and become something more than an admin assistant. I'm starting to feel, that in spite of my qualifications, I'm doomed to a very low-paying admin job for the rest of my life...

I know exactly how you feel.. I am going through the same thing right now. I have over 10 years' office management experience as well as underwriting experience. I send my resume to anywhere and everywhere that has open positions, and it's so rare for me to get even a call back. I applied with Chenega and a week later I get an email saying something like "we are unable to hire you at this time." No reason, no explanation, nothing, yet the same job was reposted online the next day. I feel so insulted lately like I will be stuck making $10 an hour and losing my home. It's so frustrating. I submitted 3 resumes to NG and all three are still in the "candidate pool".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

M in Hampton, Virginia said: I know exactly how you feel.. I am going through the same thing right now. I have over 10 years' office management experience as well as underwriting experience. I send my resume to anywhere and everywhere that has open positions, and it's so rare for me to get even a call back. I applied with Chenega and a week later I get an email saying something like "we are unable to hire you at this time." No reason, no explanation, nothing, yet the same job was reposted online the next day. I feel so insulted lately like I will be stuck making $10 an hour and losing my home. It's so frustrating. I submitted 3 resumes to NG and all three are still in the "candidate pool".

m you should be happy that they are still in the candidate pool. one time i applied for a job at NG and a few hours later it told me not selected hehehehe. i would highly suggest you give these people a call and let them know how extremely interested in the position you are. hopefully what will happen is they will pull up your info, ask questions, and if you do well they will pass up your resume to the hiring manager and it will change to "hiring manager review".

if youve gotten an email from NG asking you to answer some questions then 9 times out of 10 you will see a name and number. call them up. if not try going to their website. i think they have a list of offices and contact info you can call. be sure that you call the right office. in the job description it will says things like "mission systems" "aero-defense" or whatever, make sure you call those offices as the recruits will be from those offices.

hope that helps!

M in Hampton, Virginia

73 months ago

Thanks so much for the reply, it does help. I have not received an email with questions, but I will definitely give them a call this coming week and pull up each position's ref. number and dept. so I can trace them. Who knows, maybe a phone call to them is what it takes to get someone in HR to notice you've even submitted a resume!

73 months ago

i think it does, because thats exactly what happened to me in one position. next week im calling for another interview and then im calling other companies like caci and lockheed and see whats up.

73 months ago

hey, i just tried to call mission systems in VA by going to their website and then their locations link. the person said they do not allot potential candidates to contact the recruiters. now i may have just come off wrong but i would still give it a shot. could be the local area policy and not the companys.

M in Hampton, Virginia

73 months ago

Jadedea in Glendale, Arizona said: hey, i just tried to call mission systems in VA by going to their website and then their locations link. the person said they do not allot potential candidates to contact the recruiters. now i may have just come off wrong but i would still give it a shot. could be the local area policy and not the companys.

Thanks for the tip.. I am in VA so I guess I just need to wait it out (not like I can afford to!)

73 months ago

M in Hampton, Virginia said: Thanks for the tip.. I am in VA so I guess I just need to wait it out (not like I can afford to!)

what field are you in? maybe i can help.

M in Hampton, Virginia

73 months ago

I am in the administrative/office management field. I have over 10 years' office management experience, and I'm looking for something full time ASAP in the Newport News, VA or Hampton, VA area. I've applied for 3 positions there and all three are just sitting in the candidate pool. Two were from June 5th and one was more recent. I would greatly appreciate any help you could give! If you need me to send a resume, let me know. Thanks so much!

73 months ago

M in Hampton, Virginia said: I am in the administrative/office management field. I have over 10 years' office management experience, and I'm looking for something full time ASAP in the Newport News, VA or Hampton, VA area. I've applied for 3 positions there and all three are just sitting in the candidate pool. Two were from June 5th and one was more recent. I would greatly appreciate any help you could give! If you need me to send a resume, let me know. Thanks so much!

have you tried different companies and do you have any govt/mil experience, like working with them or being in the mil?

if so there are more contracting companies like northrop that you can go to.

here is a list of few:

csc, saic, usajobs, caci, mantech, lockheed to name a few. if i come across anything ill let you know.

M in Hampton, Virginia

73 months ago

I don't have any military or gov't experience but I have quite a lot of administrative experience. Some of the jobs at NG require you to have that experience already along with a security clearance, which I do not. I did apply with BAE Systems, MITRE, Chenega, and NG. I keep checking with Lockheed Martin but they haven't had any admin. jobs open in my area yet.. :(

73 months ago

hmmm, maybe you should try the federal route at usa jobs or other govt job posting places they may have something for you.

however i have seen job positions that say "must be clearable" "must be able to obtain a clearance". dont stray away from them. what it means is that, if they did an investigation will you pass? if you havent done drugs, get any felonies or plot things against some country your fine. the drug thing you can decide to say yes or no to, but if you have to get polygraph done and you lied your in trouble. the worst thing that can happen is to get investigated and deemed not eligible for clearance. its like a death note for jobs with clearances because no one wants to talk to you afterwards (if im wrong please post why). so if you are overall a good person your good to go!

73 months ago

omg i just spent 10 min editing my post because it had beef with the s-u-c-k word hahaha. dang

M in Hampton, Virginia

73 months ago

Thanks for the info! I had one misdemeanor in 1995 (not drug related), but that is it. I have a sparkling driving record.. My friend works for Lockheed Martin and he said the clearance process is long and brutal. I wouldn't be opposed to applying for one though by any means, particularly if it meant I could secure a good job.

I did apply for FIVE admin jobs at Langley Air Force base and all five closed yesterday, so now I am playing the waiting game for those as well...

73 months ago

misdemeanor aint nada. you should be fine. i applied for some IT related positions in that area too and it closed yesterday too! maybe ill get a call...im getting tired of these people telling me i wasnt considered because i didnt live in area....i keep telling them ill move there if ya hire me at my own expense...its like they dont get it.....im paying for it!!!! gezzzz

anyways, lemme know what happens!

Kevin Graham in Palmdale, California

73 months ago

My online status shows 2 jobs under hiring manager review. I was told candidates who already have a TS or higher clearance will have an advantage. Both jobs I am being considered for are showing TS clearance as highly desirable. If I do not have one, am I out of the running?

thanks for any help,

Kevin

73 months ago

Kevin Graham in Palmdale, California said: My online status shows 2 jobs under hiring manager review. I was told candidates who already have a TS or higher clearance will have an advantage. Both jobs I am being considered for are showing TS clearance as highly desirable. If I do not have one, am I out of the running?

thanks for any help,

Kevin

i want to say yes, but if you have a degree your still in the running. i have a TS but no degree and i think they feel wishy washy with me. it costs alot of money to get clearances and i mean in the thousands, but ihave a feeling once new fiscal year hits in oct they will be more willing to accept folks with no clearance as they would have funding in their department.

hoep that helps!

73 months ago

Thanks for your reply. I do have my degree in Math and applied against a few jobs in Palmdale, CA. I am under hiring manager review and am hoping to get the interview. Hopefully someone will call or email in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again,

Kevin

73 months ago

Another question that hopefully has not already been answered. If my online status shows "hiring manager review" and I am going to be offered an interview, will my status change to "interview"? Or will someone just call or email me?

Thanks,

Kevin

M in Hampton, Virginia

73 months ago

I literally just got a call today for an interview for them, and I admit it's only because I knew someone who got me the name and email address of the hiring manager for that position. He called me today and set me up but did mention there were "several people" interviewing for this, so who knows what will happen. Wish me luck!!!

73 months ago

Good luck to you! Where is your interview?

M in Hampton, Virginia

73 months ago

Thanks Kevin.. I just realized I'm chatting in the NG forum.. I have an interview with Lockheed Martin at one of their Hampton, VA locations. I think it's in the IT department. The position is general admin./office management related....

73 months ago

Kevin Graham in Palmdale, California said: Another question that hopefully has not already been answered. If my online status shows "hiring manager review" and I am going to be offered an interview, will my status change to "interview"? Or will someone just call or email me?

Thanks,

Kevin

it usually means you should be getting a call or email from HR to setup an interview with the hiring manager. youve made past the first round with the company. unfortunately who knows how long it takes. ive been in the hiring review status for weeks for one job and i called and talk to a HR rep for another one that put me in hiring manager review but no call from them yet.

73 months ago

M in Hampton, Virginia said: I literally just got a call today for an interview for them, and I admit it's only because I knew someone who got me the name and email address of the hiring manager for that position. He called me today and set me up but did mention there were "several people" interviewing for this, so who knows what will happen. Wish me luck!!!

M wow thats outstanding. your probably one of the few people on these forums that actually snatched up a LM person to set you up. good luck!

73 months ago

Thanks for your info. Like everyone else, I am just hoping to get to the next step. The 2 jobs are for the Plant 42 Palmdale location on the B2 project.

Thanks again,

Kevin

M in Hampton, Virginia

73 months ago

Thanks.. I just got back and they said they'd have an answer for me by Friday. I told him I was referred through other employees, and then he kept mentioning how he HAS to interview three people, like he wanted to hire me but they have to do that as protocol. So hopefully if all goes well I'm in. The real kicker is if I get it, it should be paying me about 10,000 more a year than I made at my last job..

abt in Virginia

73 months ago

If you have been waiting to hear back since June 5, it's likey the position may be filled. or the hiring manager may be out of town. I've gotten a call a month later. I've worekd for the company since 04, left for a couple months and came back and transferred twice. You just have to keep applying just like anywhere else.

73 months ago

M in Hampton, Virginia said: Thanks Kevin.. I just realized I'm chatting in the NG forum.. I have an interview with Lockheed Martin at one of their Hampton, VA locations. I think it's in the IT department. The position is general admin./office management related....

M so whats the deal with you now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.