Stay away from The Creative Group! ALSO CONNECTED WITH RHI!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 109)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Birdseye View from a temp working 4 TCG in Saint Paul, Minnesota

99 months ago

The only other paperwork you need to fill out at the application process is an I-9 and automatic payroll deduction if you're temp, or background check paperwork if you check yes to the felony question.

There are so many resumes as I said, and the people that are getting the jobs are the ones with recognizable art and advertising work. Brands, websites, companies that many people have heard of.

One of my jobs is sending declination letters to the hundreds of rejected resumes. I made the mistake once of having my name rather than the recruiters name on the signature. I got many calls from irate applicants with a "how dare you not love my work" kind of attitude. I feel bad, nobody likes rejection but what is it about Creatives that they many (not all, but many) think they're God's gift to the world...

Bottom line, go to the Creative Group's website and look over some of their resources if you get a rejection letter and consider using them or go somewhere else... but don't just throw your hands up and tell everybody it's a scam. People get interviewed, people get jobs. I know because I am busy processing these people all day long. Again, it's really the best and the brightest and those with big name ad/art background that get the jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Phone Book - Source of Jobs! in Denver, Colorado

99 months ago

Birdseye View from a temp working 4 TCG in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: The only other paperwork you need to fill out at the application process is an I-9 and automatic payroll deduction if you're temp, or background check paperwork if you check yes to the felony question.

There are so many resumes as I said, and the people that are getting the jobs are the ones with recognizable art and advertising work. Brands, websites, companies that many people have heard of.

One of my jobs is sending declination letters to the hundreds of rejected resumes. I made the mistake once of having my name rather than the recruiters name on the signature. I got many calls from irate applicants with a "how dare you not love my work" kind of attitude. I feel bad, nobody likes rejection but what is it about Creatives that they many (not all, but many) think they're God's gift to the world...

Bottom line, go to the Creative Group's website and look over some of their resources if you get a rejection letter and consider using them or go somewhere else... but don't just throw your hands up and tell everybody it's a scam. People get interviewed, people get jobs. I know because I am busy processing these people all day long. Again, it's really the best and the brightest and those with big name ad/art background that get the jobs.

APPLY DIRECT. WHY DO YOU NEED AN AGENCY? LOOK IN THE PHONE BOOK FOR AGENCIES AND APPLY DIRECT!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

in michigan in Dearborn, Michigan

96 months ago

I agree with Birdseye View from a temp working 4 TCG in Saint Paul, Minnesota. It's not a scam. You just have to realize what is being offered. You are being offered an AGENT to HELP you in your job search. If you stand out as a candidate, they will work hard to place you. It also doesn't hurt to call and follow-up with your agent.

And what are you all talking about with lead stealing? Do you know how these companies work?? Trust me, they don't need the information on your resume for anything other than seeing if you have exceptional talent. The Creative Group, OfficeTeam, and AccountTemps are all divisions of Robert Half International. Robert Half has been named as a top company by Forbes, Fortune, and Businessweek. Fortune even ranked them as number ONE in their industry. They didn't get to be number one in their industry by "collecting resumes" to steal information. Seriously. I know job searching is stressful (BELIEVE ME, I have been at it awhile) but there are some fairly illogical accusations going on here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Not A Staffing Agent in Keller, Texas

57 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Glad to see you don't. It's a stupid, hackneyed and mindless question that leads to stupid, hackneyed and mindless responses.

Don't feed the troll.

Totally agree with you. That question, in my opinion, is nothing but a waste of time and breath. Oh, and here's another ridiculously pointless question, especially in this current job market and/or when the company/recruiter was the one to initiate contact with the candidate: "Why our company?" Uh, seriously??? Hmmm...let me think...BECAUSE YOU CALLED ME AND IT'S A JOB. DUH! This is the point where candidate is supposed to kiss the interviwer's ass for a few minutes and tell them what he/she read on their website's "Awards and Recognitions" page. Those questions are just a few examples of what separates the real recruiters from the staffing/HR Clerks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I could tell she was reading off the interview questions from a list. One question asked where I'd like to be in five years. At that time I was recently unemployed. I answered that I was not even thinking about where I'd like to be in five years but where I'd like to be now, which is employed. At that point perhaps I'd think about where I'd like to be in five years.

Totally pointless question.

I truly doubt this gal had the maturity and depth to appreciate the gravity of my answer to the five-year question, though I'm sure she was only passing her handwritten notes on to her hiring manager.

Exactly the type of people that give real recruiters a VERY bad name! She was not a Recruiter I guarantee you, just a screener or assistant. It really makes me want to vomit when companies try to cut corners by bringing in these people with no Recruiting or HR background/skills just to avoid having to pay a little more. I have managed the recruiting process for a lot of high volume project/program launches. There were times that we were forced to bring on several temps to assist with sourcing/onboarding due to the fact that the Business Development team had over-promised the client. I have no problem with that whatsoever as I know some awesome recruiters that prefer to work on temporary assignments for one reason or another. Unfortunately, the short-sighted company I was working for at the time insisted on bringing in temps with zero experience just to save a few bucks. Worse yet, they tried to pass them off as "Contract Recruiters", which was totally bogus and misleading to both the clients and the candidates. You can train someone to do many jobs, however, you cannot train someone to have personality, recruiting instinct or people skills and that was the problem. I truly believe it led to the company losing contracts/candidates and A LOT of respect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I also believe those scripted pre-screening questions are extremely insulting to the candidates' intelligence and professional abilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Not a staffing agent in Keller, Texas

57 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Don't waste your time with the cretin.

True, true... answering it IS just a waste of space and time. Good point.

Not a staffing agent in Keller, Texas

57 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I applied online to a large branch bank chain. A couple of weeks after I applied, the phone rang. A gal with a very youngish-sounding voice was on the line. She said she was calling from the bank but did not give her name. She proceeded to interview me.

I could tell she was reading off the interview questions from a list. One question asked where I'd like to be in five years. At that time I was recently unemployed. I answered that I was not even thinking about where I'd like to be in five years but where I'd like to be now, which is employed. At that point perhaps I'd think about where I'd like to be in five years.

Totally pointless question.

I truly doubt this gal had the maturity and depth to appreciate the gravity of my answer to the five-year question, though I'm sure she was only passing her handwritten notes on to her hiring manager.

Out of curiosity, when this girl called you and proceeded to phone screen you, did she even bother to ask you if you if you had a few moments for her to ask you questions? Whenever I have trained new recruiters and/or pre-screeners, one of the first things I stress is the importance of being conscientious of the candidates' time and availability at that moment to answer interview questions. Especially now when cell phones have replaced home numbers as the best way to contact someone. As much as we want to pre-qualifiy a candidate as soon as possible, it benefits no one to force an interview on someone within minutes of them answering the phone. If the candidate is caught off guard awkwardly trying to answer a sudden onset of rapid fire questions in the middle of a Wal-Mart, chances are neither party will come away with a good impression of the other. A simple "Are you available to chat with me for a few moments?" goes a long way in my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Creative Pro in Cleveland, Ohio

56 months ago

I rarely use forums like this but I too have to chime in. AVOID the Creative Group. I've been a consultant and senior level person in communications for close to two decades. I have worked with recruiters, agencies and direct hires for both myself and to find and hire talent for clients and projects I work on. I only had one brief encounter w/ TCG but that was enough to give me huge red flags. Keep in mind they pursued me - cornering me at an event and giving me a hard-sell on why I should sign up w/ them, using the old "you need to sign up I have a job you are missing out on right now," tactic (Red Flag 1). Then, you go to do what can only be considered excessive paperwork, including some very sneaky non-compete clauses stating you will not work with or pursue any of their clients while signed up as a TCG member, Even if they aren't placing you. That's also illegal in some states, btw, yet they still do it. (Red Flag 2). You'll also find, for anyone who has done their own consulting that their pay rates are often incredibly under-cut. For example, I was told I would never get over $20 per hour as a copywriter, yet I command $70 in the same market on my own. Guess how much their cut is? And for what? A few dollops of promised benefits with so many restrictions and time criteria that they might as well be void.

The biggest issue however was their absolute lack of competency and professionalism. Messing up even the most basic communications and scheduling, losing paperwork and canceling a meeting with the head recruiter without informing me causing me to haul my ass to their office only to be met with a bewildered receptionist who made me wait 30 minutes and then only to be informed the recruiter had called in sick that day. So they stick me with a very clueless, very green JR staffer who A) hadn't read my resume or B) any other previous communications with their agency.

Pissed? You bet. If that's a first impression of TCG, it's going to be my last.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NOT a Staffing Agent in Keller, Texas

56 months ago

Creative Pro - Great post! I completely agree with you about the red flags associated with them. Their fees/mark-up rates are way too high and truly a waste of the clients' money and candidates' time. My advice to anyone considering working for them or with them is RUN AWAY... FAST! Their "evergreen" job postings and business tactics are completely unethical. In fact, their "pre-qualification" process violates several employment laws in many states. They are sued so much that they have an entire legal team that works for them full-time just handling the lawsuits against them. Here's a novel idea for them: save money on the legal team and just follow fair labor practices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Entrepreneur in Santa Rosa, California

52 months ago

I was searching about The Creative Group and this forum popped up.

What I would like to know is the experience freelance, contracted designers/artists (on small jobs running 40-80 hours) have had working with end clients through The Creative Group (TCG). TCG is essentially operating as an artist rep.

If the end client contacts the designer directly for a new job, does the designer have to contact TCG, to keep TCG in the loop? I would gather that if the designer doesn't contact TCG, that could be in violation with the contract the designer has with TCG. What legal recourse could TCG take? How would they even know if the designer and client are working independently? Moles? Secret agents?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Creative Pro in New Orleans, Louisiana

52 months ago

Yes, the contract is for what is known as a "non-compete". This means that if you sign up with the Creative Group (let's call them Greative Groupers), you sign a contract stating you will not go after any jobs on your own with companies they work with, even if they don't tell you about the job, don't call you for the job, don't set up an interview for you, or don't post the job on their website. The problem with this non-compete contract is that in several states it is actually illegal to have non-competes in this manner so they are not only preventing you from getting work, they are telling you that you signed a contract not to work outside of them as the middleman in an illegal manner. How would the Creative Group find out? They are in contact w/ that firm. Would they do anything about it? Probably not, but it is just a scummy way to do business. The issue does not sit well with me on a professional level, or an ethical level. However, as stated the big issue is that the Creative Group completely undercuts the wage level of those signed up with them at about 50% to 75%. So for example, you might see a job listed with the CG for $20 per hour, but see the same job on a job board listed at $75 an hour - that's how the CG makes their money with huge overheads and doing little work in return other than posting a few jobs, calling once in awhile to let people know about jobs, and paying employment taxes/insurance (NOT HEALTH INSURANCE). It's just a complete rip-off to any freelancer. However, because a Creative Grouper signed a contract they are under the threat of, "you can't go after that $75 dollar an hour on your own job, you have to go through the Creative Group for that $20 an hour job." It's just shady, bad way to do business. Oh, and ILLEGAL. One of the many red flags for the CG.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Creative Pro in New Orleans, Louisiana

52 months ago

I'm not sure the arrangement of the client w/ CG, but The CG gets "commissions" not from the client, but by taking a huge portion of the hourly from the candidate. That is, a client might have a job listed on Craigslist for $100 an hour, but the CG will have the same job listed at $20. No problem there, this is a free country. The issue is, the non-compete the CG makes its candidates sign states that the candidate will not pursue any of CGs clients (not specific jobs, clients) - whether or not the job is listed, or the candidate was contacted for it and the CG is often very bad about listing and contacting for potential jobs. That's the illegal part, and the part that is a scummy business practice. The lesson? People have the right to sign whatever contracts they want or break whatever contracts they want, but they do need to read the contract (the CG never explained what I was supposed to sign), and people do need to know what they have restricted themselves with if they do sign a contract. On the flipside, the CG are scum middlemen that do little for a candidate and restrict a candidate's ability to make fair market value through bogus contract restrictions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ana in Manassas, Virginia

52 months ago

If you sign a non-compete contract and no longer with the CG group, how do you revoke a contract? Until when is this contract effective?

Truthofthematter in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

Ana in Manassas, Virginia said: If you sign a non-compete contract and no longer with the CG group, how do you revoke a contract? Until when is this contract effective?

It really depends on the nature of the position and the terms of the NC contract. I had to sign one when I worked for RHI as Staffing Mgr so there were different terms which included not going to work for any companies they deemed "competitors" within 100 miles for at least 3 yrs. Another factor would be how or why you left the company: did you leave voluntarily or involuntarily (fired, laid-off) contract is basically just ambiguous bulls**t aimed at intimidating their employees into submission. But the bottom line is that the contract is vague and doesn't hold up well or at all in court.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Searcher123

52 months ago

I wish I had come to this forum and found threads like this years ago. I was addicted to temping when the assignments were plentiful and the economy was doing well.

In the last year or so calls for any assignments has stopped. I should have been contacted employers directly and not relied on the temp agencies to have better job contacts than me.

I wasted a LOT of time waiting and waiting and more waiting for temp agencies to rescue me from taking responsibility of my own job search.

Please do not completely rely on temp agencies to help you find a job. Find the courage, get educated on the job search process by reading books and coming to forums like this one and do not be afraid of making mistakes along the way.

I have learned so much reading this thread. I can't believe how much power I gave those temp companies over the years. I was seduced by the weekly pay and allowing them find the companies for me. I was insecure and uninformed about putting myself out there in the best light in the job market.

But when the agencies stopped calling me. Reality finally hit me hard. Recently, I emailed them with a question about a job listing I saw on a job site and they *never* emailed me back. This made me think something shady was happening.

I'm working (thank God!) at part time lame retail job now but I got it on my own. Doing my daily job search for the best job in my field I can find on my own is my goal. I will find the job I want on my own.

Peace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ana in Manassas, Virginia

52 months ago

As a part-time temp worker, they did not give me a copy of the contract. I also think it's shady when i ask them to fax me a copy, they just ignored my request. I am still working as a temp but would like to be a direct-hire soon.

Entrepreneur in Santa Rosa, California

52 months ago

Thanks folks, for your comments.

I decided that it was best to honor the contract. Even if it's legality is questionable, it is good form as a professional to honor the agreement. San Francisco is a small town. Things can come back to haunt you.

I essentially told this to TCG as well as a demand for a raise. I did get a 20% increase. Still their commission is ~ 35-40%. Quite a chunk. I am building a good rapport with creative managers. As they move onto other agencies, they will remember me; as others have in the past. So, it's sort of advertising in a round-about way. :)

50 months ago

Thank you, Jedonkey, for once again serving as the poster child of the classic oxygen-deprived Staffing "Manager" (Manager hehehe, yeah sure). You and your ignorance are your own worst enemies. Simply reading your comments is enough to serve as a warning to any potential future clients. Your inflated ego has distorted your grasp on reality. It is PAINFULLY obvious that you are very new to the business world, especially staffing. In fact, I would venture to guess that this is probably the ONLY job you have had thus far. Well, not counting your previous job as waiter, usher, and/or babysitter. For your own sake and the sake of those around you, I truly hope that someday you are able to overcome your limited understanding and stunted belief system that stems from pure ignorance and ego. You need to get real and get a clue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

50 months ago

Phone Book - Source of Jobs! in Denver, Colorado said: APPLY DIRECT. WHY DO YOU NEED AN AGENCY? LOOK IN THE PHONE BOOK FOR AGENCIES AND APPLY DIRECT!!!

Because most jobs are filled thru 3rd party recruiters, staffing agencies, temp to perm etc... It may s***ck but unfortunately if you want a job you have to deal with them. Robert Half has cornered the market in Accounting jobs. Probably 80% of listings are thru Robert Half.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

50 months ago

Accountant seeking job in Atlanta, Georgia said: Robert Half's whole marketing plan is to interview as many people as possible and generate leads from their resumes and reference letters. I am pursuing the legality of this. They require you to sign a bunch of paper when you apply of jobs. I'm sure it allows them to try to generate leads from your resume. This is a bait and switch tactic. Help bring this kind of business to an end.!!!!!!

Robert Half has somehow blacklisted me even though they literally never sent me on one assignment, and never sent me on one interview in over 10 years of sporadically registering with them and then being told 'you are in our system' we will call you if something comes up then nothing... Then being accused of registering in multiple offices under multiple Social Security numbers..

Marigold in Toronto, Ontario

49 months ago

I'm glad I found this thread. I have been registered with TCG for months and it seems like a total waste of time. They spend more time trying to get me to send them more info and connect with them on Twitter and LinkedIn than they do actually getting me any jobs. Now I am wondering if that is just to scam my contacts.

I think it might be good for students just starting out, but if you have a few years experience forget it.

g ko in Washington, District of Columbia

48 months ago

I have to say, after reading this thread, I disagree on the whole. I've had nothing but good experiences with TCG, in at least the graphic design side. Since joining a year ago, they've consistently gotten me jobs (and offered to present me to many, some I declined because of location) including getting me in to what is now my current permanent position at a company I'm quite happy with.

At least with the branch I dealt with, they were very good with communication, never tried to squeeze me for contacts, and certainly have been very professional the whole time. Right when I had my interview, they presented me to two different jobs and I got one of them. Since that time, I would get several phone calls a month asking if I would be interested in this job or that. The agents I dealt with were candid and honest, and I never felt like I was being bullsh*ted or lead on. Their goal was to find me a long-term or permanent position and they did just that. Once again, perhaps experience varies branch to branch, and with what sort of industry you're in, but I will vouch for the TCG office in DC. I've been a part of several temp/staffing agencies and TCG is the only one who kept up communication and found me work in my field.

I'm also sure that experiences vary person to person. I know the people I referred didn't have as much luck finding jobs through TCG, but I also know they didn't have as diverse and extensive amount of experience I had in the field I wanted work in.

So, is The Creative Group a scam? No, absolutely not. TCG never requested outrageous information from me (I filled out the same type of forms for every staffing/temp agency I interviewed with), they never asked for money and they never made false promises.

Is everyone who applies/interviews going to have as much luck as me finding work through TCG? Maybe not, we're all individuals with different skill sets and goals. Still, I wouldn't discourage anyone from applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

MarketingPro in Seattle, Washington

47 months ago

I have to say that I have had similar experiences with this group. First of all, you have to understand that these types of companies are SALES and COMMISSION BASED companies, they are not professional marketing or creative services companies. They do hire people from the industry, but the reality is their people only succeed and maintain their jobs if they sell and place people into positions.

My experience was that I contacted by email a director in the Seattle office, inquiring as to how their services work (I knew how, but was using it as an "in"). He replied to my email, asking me to send him my resume. I have well over 20 years of marketing experience in the Seattle market. I am plenty qualified and reputable to be placed in a number of jobs they post.

My irritation came with the fact he did not reply to my email/resume; remember HE opened the door to me. I followed up twice and he didn't have the PROFESSIONAL courtesy to even reply that he received my email. (I know he opened it, as I got return receipts on all three of my emails!).

Seattle is a very small market, and I see this guy at many industry events and professional meetings. I will tell you one thing is for certain: I will remember him, TCG, the fact he didn't respond, and the fact he blew me off. Whether you are employed now or not, in business, as in personal interactions Karma is a powerful thing. # # #

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

apprehensive about agencies in Chicago, Illinois

47 months ago

Chicago-Designer said: Creative applicants should be aware that agencies like this maintain a strategic advantage over you and their competitors when you remain "active" in their database, but are not getting you work. The reason for this is that you cannot compete against them for work to a client that they have [or have allegedly] submitted you to, and the same goes for other agencies in the same market, regardless of job title.

Once they submit you, you belong to them until whenever you quit working with them, and then whatever the time period that remains after that, sometimes 6-12 months. Read the fine print, and pass this on to other creatives. Employment agencies can be a big help, but they can also hurt you as well. If they are not getting you work within 3 months, tell them you wish to deactivate yourself with them. If they have something later, they will find you on Monster or HotJobs and probably call you again if they can't find someone else. Hope this helps.

Is anyone else concerned about the Terms of Use Agreement you are required to sign before completing the mandatory online profile before your interview?
Specifically this section:
The Site provides a forum for you to obtain employment and career information. By submitting or entering your information to the Site ("Submitted Material"), you agree that you grant RHI a perpetual, non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty free, worldwide license and right, but not the obligation, to use, copy, modify, display, distribute, download, store, reproduce, transmit, publish, transfer, adapt, create derivative works in any manner, in entirety or a portion of, of your Submitted Material, and by any means, forever and worldwide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Seasoned Like Sirloin in Dallas, Texas

44 months ago

I was contacted by them & wondered about the're legitimacy. With. boatloads of experience, yet no degree, I've been looking for a way to locate the next best position. Very early on i developed a skill set which has afforded me almost undeniably success. So, sure, i love interviewing. Its like a parade with me in the middle of it. But hese new more rough economic times have everyone spooked. I'm reluctant to make a move.

Honestly, I had an interview with TCG on Friday. I cancelled or rather, postponed for an unrelated family emergency. In a weird twist of fate way, I'm glad I did because I then discovered this thread. Nothing changes the fact i still need to get back on the horse. The Italian-style three month Holiday is over & this guy is ready to rock.

In response to some of these posts: Honestly, talented/qualified creatives get screwed by unscrupulous scammIng thieves everyday. Like right now. Beware at all times I've simply reached a point where the type of work I'm interested in is handled by very select group or at peat it seems that way. Ideation & concept development will soon open up to outside, freelancing, artistic & client minded pros. It will not remain a thing of permanent staffers or directors any longer. Why? The creative industry had better step on the gas... Because things are heating/speeding up in a big way 2012. And quite frankly, I see only a small few agencies producing & deploying campaigns that fully utilize technology the fullest.

If anyone has creative concept development experience as an art or creative director & feels like helping me out with a resume critique or advice... I would be extremely grateful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Resourceful Recruiter in Fort Worth, Texas

44 months ago

I am not an art or creative director, myself, but I am a Recruiter with 20 years of experience. A significant portion of my recruiting background includes the advertising/marketing industry, including creative development. Since you did ask for advice, I thought I would throw in my two cents on a few things so here goes...

1.) I realize this is just an informal forum, so I assume you use better grammar and spelling than you did in your post. Still, don't forget that there are always Recruiters/Employers viewing these forums sourcing for potential candidates. Also, your post is a bit scattered and random so it's hard to decipher what it is you are looking for in the way of advice or direction.

2.) While self esteem is a great thing, an over inflated ego is NEVER attractive. No offense but just by reading this post you sound like a kid with a "know-it-all" complex.
Exhibit A: You state at the beginning of your post "With. boatloads of experience, yet no degree, I've been looking for a way to locate the next best position. Very early on i developed a skill set which has afforded me almost undeniably success. So, sure, i love interviewing. Its like a parade with me in the middle of it." Seriously? I am already gagging and rolling my eyes. I would suggest you not consider yourself an expert with "boat loads" of experience. Success is relative and you are only 30 years old. In the business world that does translate to "seasoned" veteren and when you make a statement like that it really shows your inexperience.

Those are just a few thoughts/suggestions to keep in mind, or not. I'm certainly no expert and I don't know you, therefore, I could be completely wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Resourceful Recruiter in Fort Worth, Texas

44 months ago

Correction: The sentence I wrote "Success is relative and you are only 30 years old. In the business world that does translate to "seasoned" veteren" should actually read: Success is relative and you are only 30 years old. In the business world that does not translate to "seasoned" veteren.

Also, you mention that you are not sure you are "reluctant to make the move" but then you state: "Nothing changes the fact i still need to get back on the horse. The Italian-style three month Holiday is over & this guy is ready to rock." So are you or aren't you currently employed? That would make a difference in the advice you get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Seasoned Like Sirloin in Dallas, Texas

44 months ago

Wow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless at TCG in Chula Vista, California

44 months ago

Working for ANY recruiter/staffer is a bad habit you can't kick, so don't start. Their markup can be up to 60% of your hourly rate. This puts the hiring client in a position of "budget nervousness" because you are costing big buck$. The client doesn't know you're getting a fraction of what they pay. Or that your medical benefits suck. Or that you get no holiday pay or vacation pay until you've logged more hours than any assignment will ever last. Or that the recruiter will hold you hostage when seeking other employment. Or that the recruiter will charge such a HUGE HIRING FEE, if the client wants to hire you permanently, that you'll likely lose out on the job.

I can not speak to timecards, as I've never been employed by TCG. I can not speak to job placement in other markets, and I have no knowledge of "contact fishing". But, I can say that I have extensive experience in graphic design for print, web and Flash plus won a few awards. With my experience and skills, you might think I would eventually get a job -- temporary, part-time or something -- but you would be wrong! I signed up with TCG years ago and applied for numerous jobs in between my own freelance work. I have NEVER interviewed with a TCG client nor been on an assignment. I HAVE interviewed repeatedly with TCG's turnstile of account reps. TCG San Diego has more reps than design jobs. Meeting the next "new rep" is a waste of time -- so is applying to job postings or responding to direct solicitations. And, they ARE non-responsive. My TCG resume posting has an error, encountered while filling out an employment form field, but I can not delete the entry. I've made numerous requests over several months to have a rep fix it. The bad entry is still there.

ldl in Centennial, Colorado

43 months ago

Truthofthematter in Houston, Texas said: It really depends on the nature of the position and the terms of the NC contract. I had to sign one when I worked for RHI as Staffing Mgr so there were different terms which included not going to work for any companies they deemed "competitors" within 100 miles for at least 3 yrs. Another factor would be how or why you left the company: did you leave voluntarily or involuntarily (fired, laid-off) contract is basically just ambiguous bulls**t aimed at intimidating their employees into submission. But the bottom line is that the contract is vague and doesn't hold up well or at all in court.

Absolutely agree. Colorado doesn't have great laws for protecting workers, but I've been told by a labor attorney that even though most non-compete contracts don't hold up in this state, many employers use them to try to intimidate employees into complying. It's easy enough now to check out your state's laws regarding non-compete contracts on the internet, on your state attorney's Web site, etc. Most companies that have you sign these agreements when they're not legal in your state won't even pursue "violations" of these "contracts", and if they make threatening noises, a lot of attorneys will write them a cease-and-desist letter for not much money, and that will hush most of them. Don't let staffing firms and other employers intimidate you out of your legal rights...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Whiggins in Atlanta, Georgia

38 months ago

I can speak from the client's POV about TCG. The design and interactive department of my company has used TCG countless times (people with lots of experience and kids straight out of college). I have hired a number of contract jobs through them and have been pretty happy with their service. The contract employees we have used also seem to stay fairly busy outside of our jobs with TCG assignments. Maybe the Atlanta office is an unusual case for TCG/RHI, but they seem to be a respectable company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jedonkey in USA, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

non competes mean nothing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jedonkey in USA, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

so, when you figure out you are no different than the MILLION people before you, just leave.

yes, you will get some big packet filled with big words, but dont go out of your way to be notice and in the end there is nothing you can do to stop earning a living by working elsewhere

if you havent figure out you work for a big bully, then you will, soon. at the end of the day they are probably already hiding in some conference room room trying to recruit the next sap to worry about littel old you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rjallen1 in Snellville, Georgia

34 months ago

Ive done work with them, they are legit, once you get your foot in the door and do work for clients and they get good feedback, you move up on the list. Be patient, keep contacting your representative, give your strengths, if something comes up they will remember you and contact you. Sure, not everyone has the right skills for a job and when they send you out to a company you represent not only you but them, they are not going to send a slouch to a company.... I have contracted with them for a few years, and really enjoy the clients they send me to. Is it a scam, NO. Will they find you a job, maybe, its up to you how hard you push! Do they probably get 100 apps for each job, yes, so if you get an interview, you're doing well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

34 months ago

Why would anyone seeking any creative talent need to use an agency like "The Creative Group"?
It makes no sense. They can simply place a blind ad on any of the big job engines.

These staffing firms are simply middlemen, flesh peddlers, and only make money by cutting up the pie.

In this day and age, it makes no sense for anyone who is savvy to have to use an agency. Someone smart and determine who is good on their own.

I bet I could hire people pretty well. I've been around and seen all types. I bet a lot of people on here could too.

So how come a hiring manager has to go to an agency? Isn't that like an oxymoron???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Valerie K. in Mckinney, Texas

34 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: Why would anyone seeking any creative talent need to use an agency like "The Creative Group"?
It makes no sense. They can simply place a blind ad on any of the big job engines.

These staffing firms are simply middlemen, flesh peddlers, and only make money by cutting up the pie.

In this day and age, it makes no sense for anyone who is savvy to have to use an agency. Someone smart and determine who is good on their own.

I bet I could hire people pretty well. I've been around and seen all types. I bet a lot of people on here could too.

So how come a hiring manager has to go to an agency? Isn't that like an oxymoron???

It has nothing to do with hiring manager/internal HR Recruiters not having the skills or abilities to find or hire. There are several scenarios in which a company might decide to use a staffing firm.
1) Time management - Many times the manager simply does not have the time to devote to going through the process of posting, interviewing, etc. They are too busy doing their job to take on a recruiter's role.
2) Bandwidth - Even if the company does have an internal recruiting dept, there are times that they are simply overloaded with positions they are already working on so they outsource a few to a staffing firm. It is very common when a company is hiring for program launches and high volume recruiting projects.
3) Temp position - When a company looks for a temp, they are simply looking for someone to fill in for a short period of time (a day/week/6 months, etc..). The company does not want to deal with having to go through HR/Payroll, etc for someone who will be gone in a few months. It is a totally different process to hire and payroll for a contractor and it is much easier to have a staffing firm deal with all of that.

There are other reasons, but you get the idea...

green arrow in Cleveland, Ohio

34 months ago

I want to make an offer to the company I'm contracted to via TCG (if they buy me out, I'll accept a salary cut until I've worked off the fee), but I'm not sure what I'm liable for. Am I playing dirty or illegally if I do this?

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

34 months ago

Valerie K. in Mckinney, Texas said: It has nothing to do with hiring manager/internal HR Recruiters not having the skills or abilities to find or hire. There are several scenarios in which a company might decide to use a staffing firm.
1) Time management - Many times the manager simply does not have the time to devote to going through the process of posting, interviewing, etc. They are too busy doing their job to take on a recruiter's role.
2) Bandwidth - Even if the company does have an internal recruiting dept, there are times that they are simply overloaded with positions they are already working on so they outsource a few to a staffing firm. It is very common when a company is hiring for program launches and high volume recruiting projects.
3) Temp position - When a company looks for a temp, they are simply looking for someone to fill in for a short period of time (a day/week/6 months, etc..). The company does not want to deal with having to go through HR/Payroll, etc for someone who will be gone in a few months. It is a totally different process to hire and payroll for a contractor and it is much easier to have a staffing firm deal with all of that.

There are other reasons, but you get the idea...

Cut out the middleman and the world would be a better place.

Agencies have sold companies on the idea that they can find the perfect candidate, save them time, and all the other icing on the cake. Companies could successfully do this themselves and save themselves allot of dinero.

Agencies are so full of sh@t. Like I've stated in the past. When you take away all the fancy wrapping Recruiters are no more than bad salespeople with big quotas to meet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

jedonkey in USA, Pennsylvania said: so, when you figure out you are no different than the MILLION people before you, just leave.

yes, you will get some big packet filled with big words, but dont go out of your way to be notice and in the end there is nothing you can do to stop earning a living by working elsewhere

if you havent figure out you work for a big bully, then you will, soon. at the end of the day they are probably already hiding in some conference room room trying to recruit the next sap to worry about littel old you

Your small potatoes my friend. Clocks ticking on you. Hear it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

The thing that kills me about recruiters is that they think they are more important than they really are. Just because your talking to Division Presidents, Regional Managers, Supervisors, Area Managers, etc doesn't make you smarter no important.

Remember what you were doing right before you went to work for Robert Half or some other agency. I'll refresh your memory....you had a desk outside of the office of a HR Manager as an assistant making 14 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Erika J in Keller, Texas said: Here's the deal Joe-Joe, Did it ever occur to you that you just aren't as important as YOU think You are? Probably not. After all, you're looking at yourself with the "fancy wrapping" paper on right? Now, unwrap yourself and step towards the mirror (no, no not the funhouse mirror - the real mirror) Say it out loud now, NOBODY IS AS IMPORTANT OR IRREPLACEABLE AS THEY THINK THEY ARE. Got it? Good 'lil Joe Joe.

You must be one of those lowlife scumb#g recruiters I always talk about. Could I be wrong. Not when EVERYONE on Indeed has the same opinion of recruiters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Erika,

BTW, what field do you recruit for?

Erika J in Keller, Texas

34 months ago

Neither do I, which is why I no longer work for them. Haven't for a very long time.

Erika J in Keller, Texas

34 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Erika J,

Do you really think that I would use my real name and real address? It was either Joe Gagill or Buck Mei.

You know how easy it would be little girl with the internet for me to find out your full name and employer and really annoy you.

Listen, your right. I am blowing off alittle steam. But, I truly believe that recruiters are.....well you know by now how I feel. By the way, most people define a recruiter as working for an outside agency. I noticed you don't. So when I use the term I'm not referring to a company's internal HR dept.

Getting a job today is harder then winning the lottery for good people throughtout this country of ours. And it shouldn't be that way, hope you never go thru it.

Have a Happy Halloween Erika.

Trust me, if I were to define a "Recruiter" as someone working for an agency then I would have the EXACT opinion as you do! That's why we have only used them for temp positions and when someone calls in sick/goes on leave of absence. There would be no point in our internal recruiters stopping and recruiting for a week long temp job. Beyond that, I believe that it's a terrible idea to use a staffing agency. They have a 65% mark up and they treat the people they send over like they own them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Erika J in Keller, Texas

34 months ago

BTW, I don't consider them Recruiters, I consider them used car salesmen except it's people, not cars that they try to sell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

So here I am tonight bored out of my mind with 75 mile per hour winds swirling around my house and I say to myself what can I do?

I know, I'll talk to my new found friend Erika J.

Erika,

You oversee recruiters in a company that you work for. Right?

My question is, what jobs do you fill? And, what are 2 or 3 things that potential candidates don't do well or are weaknesses that they have/show at the interview?

I like asking these questions so I can improve myself at interviews?

I'm turning over a new leaf guys, Nice Joe.

Thank you Erica.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

34 months ago

Given "Erika's" previous attitude, Joe, don't expect any straight answers.

And what are you doing here when you should be looking out for your safety?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Erika J in Keller, Texas

34 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: Given "Erika's" previous attitude, Joe, don't expect any straight answers.

And what are you doing here when you should be looking out for your safety?

Oh, Unemployed -- You really are determined to be negative, aren't you? Well, I truly am sorry you feel that my "attitude" has somehow been less than straight forward. That is your loss. You see, when you constantly fight everything and everybody, how can you ever expect anything different in your life. Obviously, you are unhappy. And no, I do not consider my advice or insight to be gospel or life changing. It just is what it is and take it or leave it. You choose to leave it and attack me. So be it. Enjoy yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Erika J in Keller, Texas

34 months ago

To answer your question Joe, I have recruited for, and managed recruiters for pretty much any and all field services (retail) and corporate positions. Basically, I've recruited for positions ranging from part-time retail to Physician/Hospital Administrators. I would need to know what type of position you are seeking to give more specifics, but I would be happy to give you whatever info I can...

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.