Stay away from The Creative Group! ALSO CONNECTED WITH RHI!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 135)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Rob in Denver, Colorado

87 months ago

Their jobs are BOGUS TOO! I've sent my resume and am highly qualified as a website designer. They never ONCE called me about one assignment of which I had ALL the qualifications! I probably (wasted my timme) applied to about 20 jobsw so far. I don't waste my time anymore just so they CAN COLLECT RESUMES!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (84) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

Accountant seeking job in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

Rob in Denver, Colorado said: Their jobs are BOGUS TOO! I've sent my resume and am highly qualified as a website designer. They never ONCE called me about one assignment of which I had ALL the qualifications! I probably (wasted my timme) applied to about 20 jobsw so far. I don't waste my time anymore just so they CAN COLLECT RESUMES!!!

Robert Half's whole marketing plan is to interview as many people as possible and generate leads from their resumes and reference letters. I am pursuing the legality of this. They require you to sign a bunch of paper when you apply of jobs. I'm sure it allows them to try to generate leads from your resume. This is a bait and switch tactic. Help bring this kind of business to an end.!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Bookkeeper girl in Littleton, Colorado

87 months ago

At the very least, it's unethical. But I do know FOR A FACT that it is ILLEGAL to post fraudulent ads for jobs that don't exist. The State Atty. General is the place to file a complaint. The thing is, they have to do an investigation and I don't know if they'll bother!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Chicago-Designer

86 months ago

Creative applicants should be aware that agencies like this maintain a strategic advantage over you and their competitors when you remain "active" in their database, but are not getting you work. The reason for this is that you cannot compete against them for work to a client that they have [or have allegedly] submitted you to, and the same goes for other agencies in the same market, regardless of job title.

Once they submit you, you belong to them until whenever you quit working with them, and then whatever the time period that remains after that, sometimes 6-12 months. Read the fine print, and pass this on to other creatives. Employment agencies can be a big help, but they can also hurt you as well. If they are not getting you work within 3 months, tell them you wish to deactivate yourself with them. If they have something later, they will find you on Monster or HotJobs and probably call you again if they can't find someone else. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Birdseye View from a temp working 4 TCG in Saint Paul, Minnesota

86 months ago

Accountant seeking job in Atlanta, Georgia said: Robert Half's whole marketing plan is to interview as many people as possible and generate leads from their resumes and reference letters. I am pursuing the legality of this. They require you to sign a bunch of paper when you apply of jobs. I'm sure it allows them to try to generate leads from your resume. This is a bait and switch tactic. Help bring this kind of business to an end.!!!!!!

You said, "Robert Half's whole marketing plan is to interview as many people as possible and generate leads from their resumes and reference letters."
I'm just curious how you know this. The Creative Group (the division within RHI that I am currently temping as an admin for) receives dozens and dozens and dozens of resumes daily. I know because I have to sort through a lot of them and weed out the design student who just graduated, who is applying for a $60K Designer position. The recruiters that I support have jobs that which they have signed an agreement with the company looking to hire -- sometimes they are the exclusive recruiter, sometimes they are not. The fact is, they really are looking for the best and brightest in the industry.

"They require you to sign a bunch of paper when you apply of jobs."

This is absolutely not true. You are not forced to sign anything. You will be asked to, and once they find you a job, you WILL have to complete the paperwork, but at the interview process, on the application you need your contact info, check yes or no as to whether you have a felony/misdemeanor, and if you are legal to work in the US. They do ask you to fill out the online application, but that speaks to your skills and qualifications. If they need a person that knows X Y and Z software, if you've completed that online application, they can do a search and your name will come up if you've checked that. TO BE CONTINUED

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Birdseye View from a temp working 4 TCG in Saint Paul, Minnesota

86 months ago

The only other paperwork you need to fill out at the application process is an I-9 and automatic payroll deduction if you're temp, or background check paperwork if you check yes to the felony question.

There are so many resumes as I said, and the people that are getting the jobs are the ones with recognizable art and advertising work. Brands, websites, companies that many people have heard of.

One of my jobs is sending declination letters to the hundreds of rejected resumes. I made the mistake once of having my name rather than the recruiters name on the signature. I got many calls from irate applicants with a "how dare you not love my work" kind of attitude. I feel bad, nobody likes rejection but what is it about Creatives that they many (not all, but many) think they're God's gift to the world...

Bottom line, go to the Creative Group's website and look over some of their resources if you get a rejection letter and consider using them or go somewhere else... but don't just throw your hands up and tell everybody it's a scam. People get interviewed, people get jobs. I know because I am busy processing these people all day long. Again, it's really the best and the brightest and those with big name ad/art background that get the jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Phone Book - Source of Jobs! in Denver, Colorado

86 months ago

Birdseye View from a temp working 4 TCG in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: The only other paperwork you need to fill out at the application process is an I-9 and automatic payroll deduction if you're temp, or background check paperwork if you check yes to the felony question.

There are so many resumes as I said, and the people that are getting the jobs are the ones with recognizable art and advertising work. Brands, websites, companies that many people have heard of.

One of my jobs is sending declination letters to the hundreds of rejected resumes. I made the mistake once of having my name rather than the recruiters name on the signature. I got many calls from irate applicants with a "how dare you not love my work" kind of attitude. I feel bad, nobody likes rejection but what is it about Creatives that they many (not all, but many) think they're God's gift to the world...

Bottom line, go to the Creative Group's website and look over some of their resources if you get a rejection letter and consider using them or go somewhere else... but don't just throw your hands up and tell everybody it's a scam. People get interviewed, people get jobs. I know because I am busy processing these people all day long. Again, it's really the best and the brightest and those with big name ad/art background that get the jobs.

APPLY DIRECT. WHY DO YOU NEED AN AGENCY? LOOK IN THE PHONE BOOK FOR AGENCIES AND APPLY DIRECT!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Sulynn in New Hampshire

82 months ago

Come on now. The way to get around the problem of lead stealing by recruiting/contracting co.s is to make the companies on your resume "Company Confidential" until you hear back from a company wanting to get that intitial interview. It's not necessary to divulge this information until after a company is interested in you FOR YOUR SKILLS. They don't need to know where you've worked until after the first in-person interview. Also, nowhere is it stated that you must provide the same information you would provide in a snail-mailed resume to one being sent via email, or to an annonymous Internet source, where your resume will be one among thousands retrieved off some server by some techi-schmo who has the same accessibility to your as the person for whom its intended. This is equal to snail-mailing all our personal mail in open envelopes -- giving your mail carrier permission to read your mail just because he or she delivers it. Why wouldn't you apply the same safeguards to something information about yourself that's being sent electronically? It only makes sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

in michigan in Dearborn, Michigan

82 months ago

I agree with Birdseye View from a temp working 4 TCG in Saint Paul, Minnesota. It's not a scam. You just have to realize what is being offered. You are being offered an AGENT to HELP you in your job search. If you stand out as a candidate, they will work hard to place you. It also doesn't hurt to call and follow-up with your agent.

And what are you all talking about with lead stealing? Do you know how these companies work?? Trust me, they don't need the information on your resume for anything other than seeing if you have exceptional talent. The Creative Group, OfficeTeam, and AccountTemps are all divisions of Robert Half International. Robert Half has been named as a top company by Forbes, Fortune, and Businessweek. Fortune even ranked them as number ONE in their industry. They didn't get to be number one in their industry by "collecting resumes" to steal information. Seriously. I know job searching is stressful (BELIEVE ME, I have been at it awhile) but there are some fairly illogical accusations going on here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

in michigan in Michigan

82 months ago

Phone Book - Source of Jobs! in Denver, Colorado said: APPLY DIRECT. WHY DO YOU NEED AN AGENCY? LOOK IN THE PHONE BOOK FOR AGENCIES AND APPLY DIRECT!!!

Sure. Apply directly. Most people are doing that anyways. Working with TCG or OfficeTeam is just a help. Its a way to have another person actively searching for jobs for YOU. If you can get a job without an agency, that's great---especially because it will likely be full-time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

78 months ago

Sulynn in New Hampshire said: Come on now. The way to get around the problem of lead stealing by recruiting/contracting co.s is to make the companies on your resume "Company Confidential" until you hear back from a company wanting to get that intitial interview. It's not necessary to divulge this information until after a company is interested in you FOR YOUR SKILLS. They don't need to know where you've worked until after the first in-person interview. Also, nowhere is it stated that you must provide the same information you would provide in a snail-mailed resume to one being sent via email, or to an annonymous Internet source, where your resume will be one among thousands retrieved off some server by some techi-schmo who has the same accessibility to your as the person for whom its intended. This is equal to snail-mailing all our personal mail in open envelopes -- giving your mail carrier permission to read your mail just because he or she delivers it. Why wouldn't you apply the same safeguards to something information about yourself that's being sent electronically? It only makes sense.

SOUNDS GOOD BUT THEY WILL EITHER CALL YOU IN AND THEN ASK YOU WHERE YOU WORKED OR DISREGARD YOU ALTOGETHER.

HOW ABOUT SENDING RESUMES LIKE THIS DIRECTLY TO EMPLOYERS (NOT DIVULGING COMPANY NAMES)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sulynn in New Hampshire

78 months ago

Anne in Littleton, Colorado said: SOUNDS GOOD BUT THEY WILL EITHER CALL YOU IN AND THEN ASK YOU WHERE YOU WORKED OR DISREGARD YOU ALTOGETHER.

HOW ABOUT SENDING RESUMES LIKE THIS DIRECTLY TO EMPLOYERS (NOT DIVULGING COMPANY NAMES)?

Because, as I'd previously stated here: too many employers rely on agencies like OfficeTeam these days as a way to outsource their HR obligations. labor, and liability. Trouble is the young and experienced, "transient" employees at these agencies have no vested interest in the success of their client company; seating not the best and most qualified candidates in roles, just those desperate enough to be willing to be poorly compensated and work without security or fringe benefits.
Good luck getting someone to glance at a "cold" resume sent direct to an actual employer; it will likely be sent straight to the trash bin. You may have better luck replying to an actual company ad in a newspaper; thou those are usually low-paying, $18-$25/hr jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sulynn in New Hampshire

78 months ago

in michigan in Dearborn, Michigan said:

And what are you all talking about with lead stealing? Do you know how these companies work?? Trust me, they don't need the information on your resume for anything other than seeing if you have exceptional talent. ... They didn't get to be number one in their industry by "collecting resumes" to steal information. Seriously. I know job searching is stressful (BELIEVE ME, I have been at it awhile) but there are some fairly illogical accusations going on here.

Are you kidding me? And why should I trust you? Please tell me you're smarter than that. How do you think these companies get data on the types of jobs companies hire for? Why when my friend fills out an app. with a temp agency like Office Team or Robert Half, is he asked to supply the names of any companies he's been contacting about jobs, and the type of job he's going for. The rep knows so little about the candidate's skills relative to the industry (because he also knows nothing about the industry)that it's necessary for them to pilfer intelligence from candidate cv.s as part of their sales gameplan. What a rep doesn't know about the industry he/she staffs for could fill a few dozen football stadiums. It's sad to think anyone'd allow these schlock masters a supporting role in their job search, as it would likely do more harm than good. I guess you have to admire their strategy in finding work that allows them to lie, cheat, steal, and treat those helping to line their pockets badly. Every lead is money in their pocket, no matter how that lead is generated. This is definetely not an industry staffed by people who could survive on their wits alone. You must be a recruiter - an educated assumption.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Actually, every job I've ever gotten (except one years ago) I got on my own through direct application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sulynn in New Hampshire

78 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Another good, incisive post, Sulynn. Also the one following.

I like Indeed too. Also, Dice and Jobster; which both have a very user-friendly UI and also source from multiple job boards.

The tone of my last post is somewhat bitter. To soften it by way of clarification: My experiences with recruiters/agents have not all been bad; some have been incredibly supportive and taken an active and encouraging role in my career endeavors. However, I do have experiences I'd rather leave in the dust. I have also heard and read my share of horror stories; for example, the independent headhunter who called the reference of one job searcher when it was painfully evident she was drunk. The context of the conversation got back to the candidate; who then did some research of her own and discovered that this was not an isolated incident. Another time a personal friend of mine found a position through a recruiter. It turned out to be a tragically innapropriate set up, and so he left after two months (before the contract could be renewed and the recruiter and his company compensated again for a job not well done). The candidate stated his misgivings, disappointment, and unwillingness to accept future assignments in a phone conversation with the recruiter's manager. The recruiter was disciplined, he became disgruntled, and soon after left the company - but not before doing some damage by playing loose and easy with the personal information of people whose resumes and contact information he'd collected. This is a cogent argument for not trusting one's personal information in the hands of one of those young and transient recruiters. The digital world we live in makes it way too easy to take your information and do potentially damaging stuff with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

78 months ago

Seriously, Displaced, if you would like me to look over your resume and critique it, I'd be happy to. You could delete all the confidential info of yours (address, etc.) but I'd need your e-mail address at the least. I'm good at critiquing others, not so much my own!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sulynn in New Hampshire

78 months ago

Staffing Agency and Recruiter Horror Stories, continued:

There was also the time I interviewed for a job and at the start of the meeting, the interviewer asked me the details of the role and what would be expected of me. I described what the agent had told me (she'd also emailed me the job description). When I was through, the interviewer looked at me, laughed, and said "no, the job you just described we filled through another agency 6 months ago. The job you're interviewing for today is for an investigation report editor." At that moment, one of the woman's collegues walked past her office door. She called out: "Hey, get this: they sent this poor thing on the wrong interview!..." They both had a laugh about it. I was appalled and found myself in the awful position of having to make plausible excuses for the recruiter's negligence. It all worked out thou; I got the contract.
Another instance: I registered with a well-known national staffing agency. They stuffed a brochure that contained a welcome packet of marketing material, referral-bonus slips, and the business cards of the recruiter--all of which I read at home. The thing was lousy with spelling and grammatical errors; not the least of which was a completely inaccurate map of directions to their office. Even the business card had a misspelling: "Ours of Operation." I chose not to pursue job assignments through that particular agency, based on that welcome packet. It was sad, because a good copy editor would have caught the mistakes. I saw it as a glaring sign of the haphazard way they communicated their message to potential client companies, and more importantly an indication of the way they'd market my skills -- and those of other contractors -- for roles with those clients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Whoa -- didn't mean to insult you -- it just seems you've been on the board for some time now complaining you can't find a job. Just trying to help! Gee whiz!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I've complained primarily about headhunters and age discrimination - as I recall, sore spots for you, too, Anne. If a company is not interested in you, it's not interested in you. That's how it goes. Moreover, if you try to force its hand, believe me, it'll respond in kind.

I related my story, above, to show how dense headhunters can be.

Again, just thought I might see if I can help as several friends of mine have gotten JOBS after I've revised their resumes! It's difficult to rewrite one's own resume. Forget it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

78 months ago

Hey just trying to help wherever I can!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya B in Waterford, Virginia

78 months ago

Anne,

I would love a resume critique.

Anyone else who is up for it too let me know!

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Tanya B in Waterford, Virginia said: Anne,

I would love a resume critique.

Anyone else who is up for it too let me know!

Thanks!

TANYA, Give me your e-mail address! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya B in Waterford, Virginia

78 months ago

Anne in Littleton, Colorado said: TANYA, Give me your e-mail address! :)

boogaard@rstarmail.com

Thanks Anne

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pearl_Lady in New York, New York

78 months ago

I would LOVE a resume critique as well!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NOT a Staffing Agent in Keller, Texas

44 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I've complained primarily about headhunters and age discrimination - as I recall, sore spots for you, too, Anne. If a company is not interested in you, it's not interested in you. That's how it goes. Moreover, if you try to force its hand, believe me, it'll respond in kind.

I related my story, above, to show how dense headhunters can be.

Displaced - Wow, sounds like you have a pretty big chip on your shoulder. Whether you want to admit it or not, snapping at a well intentioned poster offering to help you sounds very defensive to say the least.

You also seem to lump actual Recruiters in together with the category of "staffing agents/acct. mgrs" which is a common misconception. Staffing Agents are not real recruiters, they are basically outside sales people and have no actual HR training. That is why places like Robert Half move candidates through their system like cattle and are constantly being sued for non-compliance. They are a Recruiters' nightmare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I doubt that user's intentions. Moreover, I have written my own resumes for nearly forty years and for three industries. Except for a year off for retraining and until recently I managed to say employed more or less continuously for thirty-three years after college. So I am quite confident in my resume writing abilities. But thanks for mentioning it, just the same. Except for in-house company recruiters, from a candidate's standpoint these people are all the same. They are cut from the same bolt of cloth, and whole cloth at that.

That's great that you have been able to maintain solid employment, especially during times of high unemployment. In regards to your comment about the resume critique offers, I'm pretty sure I know what you are referring to when you say their motives are less than pure. As a Recruiter, I have encountered (and have worked with unfortunately!) a lot of bulls**t and wolves disguised as sheep in this industry. There are some truly legitimate "professional resume writers", however, they are upfront about any and all fees associated with their services and they do NOT try to disguise themselves as just a helpful individual like some of these so-called resume critics whose source of income relies solely on telling a job seeker their resume sucks and putting fear into unemployed people by making them feel that the only way to find a job is by purchasing their resume "service packages".

Regarding your comments about headhunters, I can absolutely see why you say that and in fact, that's my point. They are NOT true Recruiters. I have always been an in-house(company-specific) Recruiter and I can tell you that nothing is more frustrating than dealing with some of these "staffing managers"/agency-based headhunters. The reason? Well, it's pretty much the same reason that it's frustrating for job seekers. It all boils down to a lack of trust and clarity of intentions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

"you have morons reading your resumes right now. the hiring managers are the last people in the process to read your resume. human resources is reading the resumes and screening your resume in or out. People applying to ADS think their resumes are getting reviewed by the hiring managers right now. far from it you figure human resources is a hog pog of talents. are they the best person to find your next CIO. or CFO. they are $12 clerks . but the fact is companies are giving them more say in the screening process due to the massive volume of resumes received in each time an AD is run so just match your resume to the AD. at least you might get a face to face with someone who knows what they are talking about rather than a $10 human resources clerk looking to slow the process to a crawl."

I have been a Recruiter for 20 years and have worked in many diverse industries during that time. I'm not sure what your background is or what companies you are referring to, so that may very well be the case in some instances. That being said, your statement contains some major inaccuracies and generalizations. First and foremost, it is not commonplace for companies to have HR clerks interviewing/screening resumes for the next CFO or any other position for that matter. Also, I don't see how not being the Hiring Mgr makes someone a moron or unqualified. Companies have Recruiters because they are specialized in the talent acquisition process. Hiring Mgrs have their own jobs to do which is why they rely on the professional skills and recommendations of their Recruiters/HR. Remember, you don’t always know who and how hiring decisions are made. I have had hiring managers ask me who they should hire, as they trusted my opinion. You have a very negative inaccurate perception of the process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

jedonkey in USA, Pennsylvania said: word of advice

match your resume to what the AD wants.
buzz words
match the resume to what the company wants. the human resource clerk has a job description in one hand and 900 resumes in the other. she is looking for buzzz words. you figure human resources is a hog pog of talents. are they the best person to find your next CIO. or CFO. they are $12 clerks . but the fact is companies are giving them more say in the screening process due to the massive volume of resumes received in each time an AD is run so. just match your resume to the AD. at least you might get a face to face with someone who knows what they are talking about rather than a $10 human resources clerk looking to slow the process to a crawl.

Yes, buzz words are good to include in your resume for several reasons. It can help employers identify your resume when they use "keywords" search function on job boards. Also, if the company utilizes an applicant tracking system, it can increase your chances of scoring higher on your profile. BUT BE CAREFUL - If you overuse buzz words or "match your resume to what the ad wants" too much it can backfire big time. Remember, if you have your resume posted on Monster, CB, etc.. it can most likely be seen by the same company that has the ad and if it looks too different then they will assume the worst. I, myself, had a very similar thing happen when I was recruiting for an IT candidate. He looked almost too good to be true and it turned out he was. When I found his resume on Monster, he had completely different software technology experience listed and was truly seeking a different role than the one he had tailored his resume to match. In fact, there are many companies that purposely look for you on job boards to find out whether you have a totally different resume posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

jedonkey - Don't worry, no chord was struck. I'm not curled up on the floor in the fetal position or crying myself to sleep over an inaccurate assessment of my work. Your comments have nothing to do with actual facts. They are merely a product of your own emotions and prejudices. Perhaps your interactions with internal recruiters have been bad experiences, causing you to have a negative association. The problem, however, is that it does not make you an authority on ALL internal Recruiters. You are making generalizations based on a small percentage of the actual internal Recruiters out there. I'm not questioning the validity of your experiences. There are those short-sighted professionally-challenged companies out there that blindly hire inexperienced/entry level "screeners" instead of actual Recruiters in an attempt to save a few bucks. In the end, they wind up damaging their relationships with candidates and clients as a result. BUT I also know a lot of Recruiters and companies that are NOT that way. You have every right to state your opinion, but attacking my credibility and competence is just a weak tactic. Use facts and, if you don't have them, then take your own advice and stop rambling on here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Jedonkey: Were you attempting to make a point in that post? If so, you might want to try again because none of your comments make any real valid point or sense considering you know absolutely nothing about me, my employment status or my recruiting style. Once again, your comments reveal just how little you know about Recruiting and that you have an extremely limited background. If that weren’t the case then you would not need to make up fake scenarios and use weak tactics such as name-calling. So let’s set the record straight on a few things.
I don’t ask anything even close to the “where do you see yourself in 5 years. Furthermore, if a candidate IS asked a scripted question like that, it’s most likely from a Hiring Mgr.
Your comment “You made a 1 hour process to hire a file clerk into a 7 day - 39 interview ordeal”, makes no sense either. Are you are referring to hiring a permanent full-time employee or a temp position? There is a big difference between the two at least it is for the actual company paying for it. You are seriously uninformed about the actual hiring process if you think that 1 hour is an appropriate amount of time. Regardless of the position, the cost per hire and training, etc. still is expensive and when we have to replace someone because they were not well suited to the position, it doubles what we would initially have spent. The problem is that staffing agencies are not the ones that pay the price for lack of proper review/quality candidates. Aside from the glaring inaccuracies that make up most of your postings, your mindless rantings also indicate you have some major anger issues and bitterness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Not A Staffing Agent in Keller, Texas

43 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Glad to see you don't. It's a stupid, hackneyed and mindless question that leads to stupid, hackneyed and mindless responses.

Don't feed the troll.

Totally agree with you. That question, in my opinion, is nothing but a waste of time and breath. Oh, and here's another ridiculously pointless question, especially in this current job market and/or when the company/recruiter was the one to initiate contact with the candidate: "Why our company?" Uh, seriously??? Hmmm...let me think...BECAUSE YOU CALLED ME AND IT'S A JOB. DUH! This is the point where candidate is supposed to kiss the interviwer's ass for a few minutes and tell them what he/she read on their website's "Awards and Recognitions" page. Those questions are just a few examples of what separates the real recruiters from the staffing/HR Clerks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I could tell she was reading off the interview questions from a list. One question asked where I'd like to be in five years. At that time I was recently unemployed. I answered that I was not even thinking about where I'd like to be in five years but where I'd like to be now, which is employed. At that point perhaps I'd think about where I'd like to be in five years.

Totally pointless question.

I truly doubt this gal had the maturity and depth to appreciate the gravity of my answer to the five-year question, though I'm sure she was only passing her handwritten notes on to her hiring manager.

Exactly the type of people that give real recruiters a VERY bad name! She was not a Recruiter I guarantee you, just a screener or assistant. It really makes me want to vomit when companies try to cut corners by bringing in these people with no Recruiting or HR background/skills just to avoid having to pay a little more. I have managed the recruiting process for a lot of high volume project/program launches. There were times that we were forced to bring on several temps to assist with sourcing/onboarding due to the fact that the Business Development team had over-promised the client. I have no problem with that whatsoever as I know some awesome recruiters that prefer to work on temporary assignments for one reason or another. Unfortunately, the short-sighted company I was working for at the time insisted on bringing in temps with zero experience just to save a few bucks. Worse yet, they tried to pass them off as "Contract Recruiters", which was totally bogus and misleading to both the clients and the candidates. You can train someone to do many jobs, however, you cannot train someone to have personality, recruiting instinct or people skills and that was the problem. I truly believe it led to the company losing contracts/candidates and A LOT of respect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I also believe those scripted pre-screening questions are extremely insulting to the candidates' intelligence and professional abilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Not a staffing agent in Keller, Texas

43 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Don't waste your time with the cretin.

True, true... answering it IS just a waste of space and time. Good point.

Not a staffing agent in Keller, Texas

43 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I applied online to a large branch bank chain. A couple of weeks after I applied, the phone rang. A gal with a very youngish-sounding voice was on the line. She said she was calling from the bank but did not give her name. She proceeded to interview me.

I could tell she was reading off the interview questions from a list. One question asked where I'd like to be in five years. At that time I was recently unemployed. I answered that I was not even thinking about where I'd like to be in five years but where I'd like to be now, which is employed. At that point perhaps I'd think about where I'd like to be in five years.

Totally pointless question.

I truly doubt this gal had the maturity and depth to appreciate the gravity of my answer to the five-year question, though I'm sure she was only passing her handwritten notes on to her hiring manager.

Out of curiosity, when this girl called you and proceeded to phone screen you, did she even bother to ask you if you if you had a few moments for her to ask you questions? Whenever I have trained new recruiters and/or pre-screeners, one of the first things I stress is the importance of being conscientious of the candidates' time and availability at that moment to answer interview questions. Especially now when cell phones have replaced home numbers as the best way to contact someone. As much as we want to pre-qualifiy a candidate as soon as possible, it benefits no one to force an interview on someone within minutes of them answering the phone. If the candidate is caught off guard awkwardly trying to answer a sudden onset of rapid fire questions in the middle of a Wal-Mart, chances are neither party will come away with a good impression of the other. A simple "Are you available to chat with me for a few moments?" goes a long way in my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Creative Pro in Cleveland, Ohio

42 months ago

I rarely use forums like this but I too have to chime in. AVOID the Creative Group. I've been a consultant and senior level person in communications for close to two decades. I have worked with recruiters, agencies and direct hires for both myself and to find and hire talent for clients and projects I work on. I only had one brief encounter w/ TCG but that was enough to give me huge red flags. Keep in mind they pursued me - cornering me at an event and giving me a hard-sell on why I should sign up w/ them, using the old "you need to sign up I have a job you are missing out on right now," tactic (Red Flag 1). Then, you go to do what can only be considered excessive paperwork, including some very sneaky non-compete clauses stating you will not work with or pursue any of their clients while signed up as a TCG member, Even if they aren't placing you. That's also illegal in some states, btw, yet they still do it. (Red Flag 2). You'll also find, for anyone who has done their own consulting that their pay rates are often incredibly under-cut. For example, I was told I would never get over $20 per hour as a copywriter, yet I command $70 in the same market on my own. Guess how much their cut is? And for what? A few dollops of promised benefits with so many restrictions and time criteria that they might as well be void.

The biggest issue however was their absolute lack of competency and professionalism. Messing up even the most basic communications and scheduling, losing paperwork and canceling a meeting with the head recruiter without informing me causing me to haul my ass to their office only to be met with a bewildered receptionist who made me wait 30 minutes and then only to be informed the recruiter had called in sick that day. So they stick me with a very clueless, very green JR staffer who A) hadn't read my resume or B) any other previous communications with their agency.

Pissed? You bet. If that's a first impression of TCG, it's going to be my last.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Creative Pro - Great post! I completely agree with you about the red flags associated with them. Their fees/mark-up rates are way too high and truly a waste of the clients' money and candidates' time. My advice to anyone considering working for them or with them is RUN AWAY... FAST! Their "evergreen" job postings and business tactics are completely unethical. In fact, their "pre-qualification" process violates several employment laws in many states. They are sued so much that they have an entire legal team that works for them full-time just handling the lawsuits against them. Here's a novel idea for them: save money on the legal team and just follow fair labor practices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Entrepreneur in Santa Rosa, California

38 months ago

I was searching about The Creative Group and this forum popped up.

What I would like to know is the experience freelance, contracted designers/artists (on small jobs running 40-80 hours) have had working with end clients through The Creative Group (TCG). TCG is essentially operating as an artist rep.

If the end client contacts the designer directly for a new job, does the designer have to contact TCG, to keep TCG in the loop? I would gather that if the designer doesn't contact TCG, that could be in violation with the contract the designer has with TCG. What legal recourse could TCG take? How would they even know if the designer and client are working independently? Moles? Secret agents?

Creative Pro in New Orleans, Louisiana

38 months ago

Yes, the contract is for what is known as a "non-compete". This means that if you sign up with the Creative Group (let's call them Greative Groupers), you sign a contract stating you will not go after any jobs on your own with companies they work with, even if they don't tell you about the job, don't call you for the job, don't set up an interview for you, or don't post the job on their website. The problem with this non-compete contract is that in several states it is actually illegal to have non-competes in this manner so they are not only preventing you from getting work, they are telling you that you signed a contract not to work outside of them as the middleman in an illegal manner. How would the Creative Group find out? They are in contact w/ that firm. Would they do anything about it? Probably not, but it is just a scummy way to do business. The issue does not sit well with me on a professional level, or an ethical level. However, as stated the big issue is that the Creative Group completely undercuts the wage level of those signed up with them at about 50% to 75%. So for example, you might see a job listed with the CG for $20 per hour, but see the same job on a job board listed at $75 an hour - that's how the CG makes their money with huge overheads and doing little work in return other than posting a few jobs, calling once in awhile to let people know about jobs, and paying employment taxes/insurance (NOT HEALTH INSURANCE). It's just a complete rip-off to any freelancer. However, because a Creative Grouper signed a contract they are under the threat of, "you can't go after that $75 dollar an hour on your own job, you have to go through the Creative Group for that $20 an hour job." It's just shady, bad way to do business. Oh, and ILLEGAL. One of the many red flags for the CG.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Creative Pro in New Orleans, Louisiana

38 months ago

I'm not sure the arrangement of the client w/ CG, but The CG gets "commissions" not from the client, but by taking a huge portion of the hourly from the candidate. That is, a client might have a job listed on Craigslist for $100 an hour, but the CG will have the same job listed at $20. No problem there, this is a free country. The issue is, the non-compete the CG makes its candidates sign states that the candidate will not pursue any of CGs clients (not specific jobs, clients) - whether or not the job is listed, or the candidate was contacted for it and the CG is often very bad about listing and contacting for potential jobs. That's the illegal part, and the part that is a scummy business practice. The lesson? People have the right to sign whatever contracts they want or break whatever contracts they want, but they do need to read the contract (the CG never explained what I was supposed to sign), and people do need to know what they have restricted themselves with if they do sign a contract. On the flipside, the CG are scum middlemen that do little for a candidate and restrict a candidate's ability to make fair market value through bogus contract restrictions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ana in Manassas, Virginia

38 months ago

If you sign a non-compete contract and no longer with the CG group, how do you revoke a contract? Until when is this contract effective?

Truthofthematter in Houston, Texas

38 months ago

Ana in Manassas, Virginia said: If you sign a non-compete contract and no longer with the CG group, how do you revoke a contract? Until when is this contract effective?

It really depends on the nature of the position and the terms of the NC contract. I had to sign one when I worked for RHI as Staffing Mgr so there were different terms which included not going to work for any companies they deemed "competitors" within 100 miles for at least 3 yrs. Another factor would be how or why you left the company: did you leave voluntarily or involuntarily (fired, laid-off) contract is basically just ambiguous bulls**t aimed at intimidating their employees into submission. But the bottom line is that the contract is vague and doesn't hold up well or at all in court.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Searcher123

38 months ago

I wish I had come to this forum and found threads like this years ago. I was addicted to temping when the assignments were plentiful and the economy was doing well.

In the last year or so calls for any assignments has stopped. I should have been contacted employers directly and not relied on the temp agencies to have better job contacts than me.

I wasted a LOT of time waiting and waiting and more waiting for temp agencies to rescue me from taking responsibility of my own job search.

Please do not completely rely on temp agencies to help you find a job. Find the courage, get educated on the job search process by reading books and coming to forums like this one and do not be afraid of making mistakes along the way.

I have learned so much reading this thread. I can't believe how much power I gave those temp companies over the years. I was seduced by the weekly pay and allowing them find the companies for me. I was insecure and uninformed about putting myself out there in the best light in the job market.

But when the agencies stopped calling me. Reality finally hit me hard. Recently, I emailed them with a question about a job listing I saw on a job site and they *never* emailed me back. This made me think something shady was happening.

I'm working (thank God!) at part time lame retail job now but I got it on my own. Doing my daily job search for the best job in my field I can find on my own is my goal. I will find the job I want on my own.

Peace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ana in Manassas, Virginia

38 months ago

As a part-time temp worker, they did not give me a copy of the contract. I also think it's shady when i ask them to fax me a copy, they just ignored my request. I am still working as a temp but would like to be a direct-hire soon.

Entrepreneur in Santa Rosa, California

38 months ago

Thanks folks, for your comments.

I decided that it was best to honor the contract. Even if it's legality is questionable, it is good form as a professional to honor the agreement. San Francisco is a small town. Things can come back to haunt you.

I essentially told this to TCG as well as a demand for a raise. I did get a 20% increase. Still their commission is ~ 35-40%. Quite a chunk. I am building a good rapport with creative managers. As they move onto other agencies, they will remember me; as others have in the past. So, it's sort of advertising in a round-about way. :)

36 months ago

Thank you, Jedonkey, for once again serving as the poster child of the classic oxygen-deprived Staffing "Manager" (Manager hehehe, yeah sure). You and your ignorance are your own worst enemies. Simply reading your comments is enough to serve as a warning to any potential future clients. Your inflated ego has distorted your grasp on reality. It is PAINFULLY obvious that you are very new to the business world, especially staffing. In fact, I would venture to guess that this is probably the ONLY job you have had thus far. Well, not counting your previous job as waiter, usher, and/or babysitter. For your own sake and the sake of those around you, I truly hope that someday you are able to overcome your limited understanding and stunted belief system that stems from pure ignorance and ego. You need to get real and get a clue.

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

36 months ago

Phone Book - Source of Jobs! in Denver, Colorado said: APPLY DIRECT. WHY DO YOU NEED AN AGENCY? LOOK IN THE PHONE BOOK FOR AGENCIES AND APPLY DIRECT!!!

Because most jobs are filled thru 3rd party recruiters, staffing agencies, temp to perm etc... It may s***ck but unfortunately if you want a job you have to deal with them. Robert Half has cornered the market in Accounting jobs. Probably 80% of listings are thru Robert Half.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

36 months ago

Accountant seeking job in Atlanta, Georgia said: Robert Half's whole marketing plan is to interview as many people as possible and generate leads from their resumes and reference letters. I am pursuing the legality of this. They require you to sign a bunch of paper when you apply of jobs. I'm sure it allows them to try to generate leads from your resume. This is a bait and switch tactic. Help bring this kind of business to an end.!!!!!!

Robert Half has somehow blacklisted me even though they literally never sent me on one assignment, and never sent me on one interview in over 10 years of sporadically registering with them and then being told 'you are in our system' we will call you if something comes up then nothing... Then being accused of registering in multiple offices under multiple Social Security numbers..

Marigold in Toronto, Ontario

35 months ago

I'm glad I found this thread. I have been registered with TCG for months and it seems like a total waste of time. They spend more time trying to get me to send them more info and connect with them on Twitter and LinkedIn than they do actually getting me any jobs. Now I am wondering if that is just to scam my contacts.

I think it might be good for students just starting out, but if you have a few years experience forget it.

g ko in Washington, District of Columbia

34 months ago

I have to say, after reading this thread, I disagree on the whole. I've had nothing but good experiences with TCG, in at least the graphic design side. Since joining a year ago, they've consistently gotten me jobs (and offered to present me to many, some I declined because of location) including getting me in to what is now my current permanent position at a company I'm quite happy with.

At least with the branch I dealt with, they were very good with communication, never tried to squeeze me for contacts, and certainly have been very professional the whole time. Right when I had my interview, they presented me to two different jobs and I got one of them. Since that time, I would get several phone calls a month asking if I would be interested in this job or that. The agents I dealt with were candid and honest, and I never felt like I was being bullsh*ted or lead on. Their goal was to find me a long-term or permanent position and they did just that. Once again, perhaps experience varies branch to branch, and with what sort of industry you're in, but I will vouch for the TCG office in DC. I've been a part of several temp/staffing agencies and TCG is the only one who kept up communication and found me work in my field.

I'm also sure that experiences vary person to person. I know the people I referred didn't have as much luck finding jobs through TCG, but I also know they didn't have as diverse and extensive amount of experience I had in the field I wanted work in.

So, is The Creative Group a scam? No, absolutely not. TCG never requested outrageous information from me (I filled out the same type of forms for every staffing/temp agency I interviewed with), they never asked for money and they never made false promises.

Is everyone who applies/interviews going to have as much luck as me finding work through TCG? Maybe not, we're all individuals with different skill sets and goals. Still, I wouldn't discourage anyone from applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.